http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 03:21:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Twighlight Princess or Wind Waker?  (Read 2799 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2006, 06:33:36 AM »

I just started up Wind Waker and have logged around 6-7 hours into it, I love it so far. I can't believe I didn't play it when it came out (guess I didn't own a Cube then). I'm wondering, however, what those of you who have played both think is better?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 06:35:15 AM »

So far I like TP better.  I havent finished it yet, but it just feels like a better game to me.  There are parts in the WW that really started to drag... to the point that I took about a 6 month break from it before I came back and finished it.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 07:03:00 AM »

I'm about 45 hours into TP, so I haven't finished it yet, but I have to give the nod to Wind Waker. I just loved the visual style of the game and I think the dungeons are better. With that said, keep in mind that there is a lot of sailing in Wind Waker in the end game, and that killed it for a lot of people.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 04:17:48 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 12:45:29 PM »

right before the final boss battle in tp, & i'd say wind waker - more personality, more interesting story/world (&, unlike other people, i never got tired of the sailing)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 01:15:51 PM »

Overall, I liked TP better, but I loved the ending of WW better.  They are both great games, though I did get tired of sailing at the end of WW.  TP had a bothersome mechanic that was just as annoying in the tear collection thing.  So, both games have a knock and TP wins out overall due to dungeon design.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 01:18:28 PM »

Did you ever notice one of the tunes that WW uses is the same tune as the Duracell battery commercials?  saywhat

I hated that.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 01:34:36 PM »

I'm only about 20 hours into TP, but so far I definitely have to give the nod to TP.  I loved Wind Waker but it really suffers from some pacing problems later in the game.  I actually didn't mind the dreaded Triforce Hunt so much in TWW, but the lack of dungeons really hurt (at least two dungeons were removed from the game in order to make ship date and their absence was noticeable IMO) and the last two dungeons in TWW weren't nearly as good as the first two.

TP just feels so much more complete to me- much better pacing and an incredible density of content which is staggering even for a Zelda game.  I love TWW's graphical style, but even in that I think TP matches or exceeds it now, though TWW will age better visually. 

However, since you are already into TWW I'd say stick with it.  It's still a great game and, if anything, I think you would probably appreciate Twilight Princess more after playing Wind Waker. 
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 01:37:05 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on December 29, 2006, 07:03:00 AM

I'm about 456 hours into TP...

eek

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 01:41:15 PM »

Also, difficulty level is *so* much better in TP.  Wind Waker was a hair too much on the easy side (though still not as obnoxiously easy as Okami).  I've actually seen the Game Over screen several times in TP, something that I don't think happened to me in TWW until near the very end.  And the puzzles have been more challenging too.

Are you playing on Wii or the Cube?  I have to admit that part of my love for TP is it's control scheme on the Wii which is just about perfect IMO. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 01:54:59 PM »

By far Twilight Princess for me. I HATED Wind Waker's sailing aspect. That, and the 'collect the 28 mini pieces of the Triforce just so we can extend the game's life for 10 hours' aspect of the game towards the end.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 01:56:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 29, 2006, 01:41:15 PM

Are you playing on Wii or the Cube?  I have to admit that part of my love for TP is it's control scheme on the Wii which is just about perfect IMO. 

I'm barely into TP but I have to agree that the controls on the Wii are making it a amazing game for me.  I actually felt alittle scared at one point for being so high up cause the controls feel so natural and real. 

As far as WW, I love the artwork as well, but I definitely did feel there were alot of good things..with alot of dead space in between them.  But I honestly can't look at a Zelda game the same since OOT. 

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 02:06:15 PM »

I am only 10 or so hours into TP but visually I think I like WW better.  I loved Dragon Quest 8 as well....I love cell shading.  I think it is just beautiful and makes me aways interested in watching the screen.   

I also liked the lighter story of WW better but I haven't finished TP so that might change.  I have to say the darker story of TP doesn't impress me.  I can get dark stories by watching the news, reading the paper, etc.  I play games to escape from that world.  However TP isn't terribly dark so it isn't a big problem. 

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 02:30:44 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on December 29, 2006, 01:37:05 PM

eek

:icon_eek:

Geez, CrayolaMan! I don't think I've EVER put 400+ hours into ANY game!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 02:35:17 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 29, 2006, 01:54:59 PM

By far Twilight Princess for me. I HATED Wind Waker's sailing aspect. That, and the 'collect the 28 mini pieces of the Triforce just so we can extend the game's life for 10 hours' aspect of the game towards the end.

I love everything about Wind Waker until this point in the game. I can't emphasize enough just how much that forced epic fetch quest right near the end completely killed the pacing of the game for me.

The irony is, I play Zelda games because I love the exploration, discovery, and puzzle aspects of the game. Give me some optional gargantuan fetch quests in a Zelda game, and I'll go apeshit on them. But shoehorn me into one that I have to complete before I can progress in the main quest, and that kills the fun for me.

I, too, took a long break from Wind Waker after I hit that point (and up until then I'd been loving it). Eventually, so I could enjoy the rest of the game, I picked up a guide and just brute forced my way through the Fetch Quest of Epic Proportionstm.

Everything else about Wind Waker was a pure joy, and I loved the graphical style. But man... that triforce quest pulled the game down a full notch in my personal rating. If Twilight Princess doesn't have anything to that degree, then I'm sure I'll love it more even if I miss the WW presentation style. icon_biggrin

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 02:39:10 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on December 29, 2006, 02:35:17 PM

I love everything about Wind Waker until this point in the game. I can't emphasize enough just how much that forced epic fetch quest right near the end completely killed the pacing of the game for me.

I think the reason the Triforce Hunt didn't bother me so much was that I had already done most of the groundwork needed for it in the course of my normal exploration/gameplay.  So when it finally came time to do the hunt itself it was relatively straightforward and quick. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 02:44:52 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 29, 2006, 02:39:10 PM

I think the reason the Triforce Hunt didn't bother me so much was that I had already done most of the groundwork needed for it in the course of my normal exploration/gameplay.  So when it finally came time to do the hunt itself it was relatively straightforward and quick. 

I can see how that would help. icon_smile I typically play through every Zelda game multiple times. My first time through, I'm often too excited to do much of the side-questing, instead working through the dungeons and doing whatever sidequests that happen to catch my interest along the way. After I complete a Zelda game the first time, I start replaying it with a focus on exploring and completing sidequests. So I guess the reason it particularly bothered me is that I couldn't play this one the way I'd played the others, and that was a startling and abrupt change of pace so near the end. If they'd even just split up the triforce quest so that you were doing 1-2 parts of it between each dungeon, that would've probably gone unnoticed by me as it would feel much more natural and a part of the game's pacing the whole way through.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 02:47:55 PM »

What they should have done was delay the damn game so they could have kept the two dungeons that the Triforce Hunt was used to substitute for.  Nintendo was trying to make a concerted effort at the beginning of the last generation to be more timely on their first party stuff after almost all of their N64 stuff got delayed repeatedly and I think that change in attitude took it's toll on both Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine. 

And we got lucky- evidently the Triforce Hunt was even more tedious in the initial Japanese release. 
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 04:21:22 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on December 29, 2006, 02:30:44 PM

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on December 29, 2006, 01:37:05 PM

eek

:icon_eek:

Geez, CrayolaMan! I don't think I've EVER put 400+ hours into ANY game!

I've spent every waking hour playing Twilight Princess since it came out.  icon_wink Sad thing is I already edited the post once and didn't catch it then.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 04:26:13 PM »

wow,good question

hard question!!

i have just finished twilight princess last week and started wind waker the other day....wind waker is a joy to play as is TP,but WW is so good looking its unbelievable...i guess TP edges it for epicness

a link to the past
ocarina of time
majoras mask
wind waker
twilight princess

all some of the greatest games ever made...please dont ask me to choose between them...they are all great

sorry,i guess i just cant answer :icon_confused:

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 04:48:46 PM »

TP is definitely better due to the fact that they finished it completely before releasing it. I loved Wind Waker, and its graphics, but it is blatant where 1 dungeon was excised early on. And, as many have mentioned, the Triforce fetch quest is very tedious. TP has the tear quest in it, but it's over with in less than an hour. I almost think they put that tear quest in to say, "Sorry. This is what we envisioned the Triforce hunt being like orginally."

I love both games though. I thought WW was a little too maligned for its art style and the long fetch quest. But, TP is just so jam packed with fun. I even enjoyed the slow start a lot.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »

Quote from: JCC on December 29, 2006, 04:48:46 PM

I love both games though. I thought WW was a little too maligned for its art style and the long fetch quest. But, TP is just so jam packed with fun. I even enjoyed the slow start a lot.

I kind of like how, three years after the fact, Wind Waker has really come to embraced for it's art style.  Indeed, many people in this very thread cite it as a reason for preferring to to TP.  And just, in general, I've seen very few impressions of TP that have comments like "Thank God we're back to kick-ass, realistic Link instead of that kiddie-crap" 

From what I've played of Twilight Princess, I don't think the TWW art style would have been a good fit and I think Nintendo made the right decision for this game based on it's content.  However it makes me very happy that the Wind Waker style has survived and has been featured in Four Swords Adventures, Minish Cap, and the upcoming Phantom Hourglass. 
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 05:03:20 PM »

Yeah, I liked the cell shading in WW, it was different and original.

One thing I hated which nobody mentions is the pirate island.  It took me forever to get to the top part of that, and it's really easy to mess up somewhere and have to start climbing again, all the way from the bottom.

It woudn't be so bad if there were shortcuts somewhere... but there aren't.

I actually disliked that far more than hunting around for the pieces of triforce... but then again I used the strat guide, and knew where everything was located.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »

The thing that had me quit WW the first time was that one dungeon in the TriForce hunt where there was a room of about 8 "grabby-hands" guys.

I musta been transported back to the beginning of that dungeon 2 dozen times before I called it quits.
The second time around I got almost to the triforce hunt, and then sold my GC. I still have WW and the bonus disc though, and I just got a Wii for christmas so I'll need to find a wavebird and hook it up.

Is there an option to just use the Wii controller instead?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 05:52:37 PM »

Everything else about Wind Waker was a pure joy, and I loved the graphical style. But man... that triforce quest pulled the game down a full notch in my personal rating. If Twilight Princess doesn't have anything to that degree, then I'm sure I'll love it more even if I miss the WW presentation style. icon_biggrin

Don't worry - there is no such thing at all in Twilight Princess. Just great game and perfect pacing from start to finish.

Quote from: Purge on December 29, 2006, 05:14:00 PM

Is there an option to just use the Wii controller instead?

The Gamecube can't see the Wii controllers or the SD memory card, so the answer to that is no.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2006, 07:22:00 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 29, 2006, 05:03:20 PM

One thing I hated which nobody mentions is the pirate island.  It took me forever to get to the top part of that, and it's really easy to mess up somewhere and have to start climbing again, all the way from the bottom.

I *loved* the pirate island.  Easily one of my favorite locations in the game. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 11:00:04 PM »

I've tried on numerous times to enjoy Zelda, Mario, and Metroid, but I just can't stomach ANY of the games. I can appreciate why others look forward to each new release, but I have some type of anti-Nintendo antibody in my system that prevents me from extracting enjoyment from these titles.  Either that or I must have been terrorized by someone dressed up in a Mario or Zelda plush suit when I was much younger.  retard

At least I still have Advance Wars....

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 05:58:11 AM »

It's really disheartening to hear about the Tri-Force hunt at the end of WW, especially because I'm so in love with this game right now. I just reached the Temple of the Gods, and so far the sailing hasn't bothered me at all (I actually like it, gives me a sense that the world is big), and the gameplay, graphics, and world design (particularly the dungeons) has me wondering how the hell I missed this in the first place. Ah well, I have a strategy guide, I'll keep it handy when it gets to the Epic Fetching Quest part.

I'm sure TP is going to be great, I can't wait to play it. There's no way the visuals can top WW's though, there's way too much personality and creativity in WW's cel-shaded world.

Sean Lama
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2006, 07:34:43 AM »

As long as you've activated the teleports and have a lot of rupees and upgraded rupee bag, the Triforce hunt isn't that bad.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 12:46:26 PM »

TP is my first Zelda, so I can't comment other than to say it will have to be extraordinary in order for me to finish. I play very slowly through this kind of game, close to double the average I'd say (I spent just over 60 to finish Enchanted Arms, and that did not include the elemental temples). I'm about 5 or 5.5 hours in and haven't hit the first dungeon yet. So for me, I'm looking at well over 100 hours to finish would be my guess.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2006, 04:06:29 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 30, 2006, 07:34:43 AM

As long as you've activated the teleports and have a lot of rupees and upgraded rupee bag, the Triforce hunt isn't that bad.

agreed. much like the running around near the end of paper mario 2, it's not crazy fun, but, considering the amazing quality of all that's gone before, it's just not such a big deal either, imo...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2006, 04:35:16 PM »

I put WW down a few months ago when I got to the triforce hunt (not knowing anything about it - it was just dragging and I got preoccupied with something else).  Since it turns out it is close to the end I guess I'll try to go back and finish it after I finish Okami.  Since WW is the only Zelda I've played, it's kind of amazing how much it seems Okami ripped off.  Not that I'm not enjoying Okami, but it is kind of distracting when the first Okami boss is basically a combination of the first two WW bosses, and some things are lifted directly (gather 3 pieces of something to add to the life bar, the little musical flourish that plays when you uncover something) from Zelda.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2006, 10:58:25 PM »

The teleports you refer to are the cyclones right?

Sean Lama
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2006, 11:41:31 PM »

"The teleports you refer to are the cyclones right?"
Yes.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2006, 05:21:37 AM »

Another question, this one is a spoiler for anyone who hasn't played WW. I just got to the point where Ganondork was fried in his tower, I went to the sage islands and learned the new songs. I have no clue what to do at this point. The red dragon boat talks about a picture of an instrument on a rock door, but I have no idea what rock door he is talking about.

*After edit*

I looked in my strategy guide and it tells me where to go, but it doesn't say how you figure out where to go. I just wanna know what rock door the red boat is talking about!  crybaby
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 05:24:53 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2006, 11:30:35 PM »

IIRC if you look at your sea chart, the 2 islands with doors with instruments on them should be highlighted on it.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2007, 09:05:27 AM »

Twilight Princess edges out Wind Waker, but I gotta give the best link award to A Link to the Past.

The narrative in A Link to the Past was exciting and thrilling.  Link wakes up to voices amidst a thunder storm.  He goes to find his perishing uncle, picks up his sword, and journeys out to finish the mission his uncle died for.  The game's excitement only snowballs as the game progresses.  The music was better in the sense it was more memorably melodic and befitting the mood of the game's different scenes.

The other Zelda's are such bullshit where they begin with you as a little village boy, and you gradually learn you're this hero of destiny.  Maybe it was okay with OoT, but it's way over done now.

Not to mention A Link to the Past has the simple run around and slash bad guys fun that the new Zeldas are missing.  I think the Z targeting kills it for me personally.

But to each their own, eh!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 10:16:17 AM by hornysax » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2007, 10:53:41 AM »

Actually, I was really put off by the horrible pacing at the beginning of TP.  If I wanted to play the farm boy, I would have played Harvest Moon.

Now, I'm someone who really liked the atmosphere the quietness of Shadow of the Colossus' intro, which had no action at all until you reached the first colossus.  But in TP, you're forced to jump through hoops to get the interesting stuff started.

Wanna know how they should have started TP?  Link goes to get horse, short and cute dialogue with the elf girl, orcs attack.  Small bit of training as Link pursues them.  Transition to the twilight realm where link goes canine, a little intro to Midna and Wolf Link.  Voila.  Action is on.  Maybe they could allow players to explore the village before the bad stuff happens, but that should be optional.  Instead you're forced to sit through it.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2007, 03:42:16 PM »

but i'm glad i helped the cat get the fish,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2007, 04:08:34 PM »

I loved the beginning to Twilight Princess.  It's not like it was a long sequence of unskippable cutscenes.  It was pure gameplay allowing you to get acclimated to the controls and also learn the town and it's inhabitants.  And it didn't last long at all IMO- I'm going through the game more slowly than most and I was still off on the first adventure probably within an hour. 

I probably would have been less patient with the opening, however, if I was playing it on Gamecube.  But on the Wii I did need to do some adjusting to the new control scheme and I though the village served that purpose very admirably. 
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2007, 05:03:18 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 02, 2007, 10:53:41 AM

Wanna know how they should have started TP?  Link goes to get horse, short and cute dialogue with the elf girl, orcs attack.  Small bit of training as Link pursues them.  Transition to the twilight realm where link goes canine, a little intro to Midna and Wolf Link.  Voila.  Action is on.  Maybe they could allow players to explore the village before the bad stuff happens, but that should be optional.  Instead you're forced to sit through it.

I would have hated Twilight Princess if it started like this. I like games that unfold slowly and give me a chance to experiment with the game's mechanics before starting to throw the kitchen sink at me. I'm wondering if many of the people complaining about TP's opening have ever played a 3D Zelda before? They've all had lengthy opening village sequences.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: