http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:07:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV for my 360  (Read 1588 times)
JuniorDan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2006, 03:45:52 PM »

What are the advantages of getting an LCD HDTV vs. the fat HDTV (regular)
I've noticed in my local EB the DOA demo had what looked like a outline around the characters. The employee said that how LCD look.
however at the other EB that has the samsung flat 360 unit there was no outline. this was for the CoD demo and King Kong. I have yet to see a game played on the regular (fat boy) HDTV.
I get my taxes back any day now so how big and how cheap can I go?

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 04:16:01 PM »

I play the original Xbox on an Hi-Def LCD. I'm not sure what the outline is you are talking about. I really think it is a personal preference. LCDs do look different from DLP and Plasma and FAT Boy TVs. You have to weigh cost with weight and picture.

Personally, I have an 32 inch Hi Def LCD I got for around $900 and I couldn't be happier. If I had $1000 more I would have got a nicer DLP with a better picture but for the price I feel I got a good deal. I also don't see an outline either.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 04:18:07 PM »

This week there is an amazing deal from the Phillips outlet store, which is by far the best deal I have ever found for an entry level HD TV.

This is normally only $388.99 but by entering the coupon code of "10-OUTLET-0206" you can get it for $351 shipping included. It's a refurbished TV, but that's an awesome deal IMO. One of my coworkers ordered this TV yesterday. If I didn't have an HD TV, I would be hard pressed to resist this deal.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 04:58:05 PM »

Supported Display Resolution
Video formats : 480p (60Hz Refresh rate), 1080i (60Hz Refresh rate)

I was told if there is now 720p don't even look at it.
I may get this for my living room at that price.
First priority is a TV for my 360

PS3 Spinks
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 05:40:31 PM »

Quote from: "juniordan"
Supported Display Resolution
Video formats : 480p (60Hz Refresh rate), 1080i (60Hz Refresh rate)

I was told if there is now 720p don't even look at it.
I may get this for my living room at that price.
First priority is a TV for my 360

You were told wrong.  720p is only an issue if you want HD on the original Xbox (which a very small number of games supported).  The 360 will convert 720p to 1080i with minimal loss of visual quality.  Lack of 720p support shouldn't stop you from getting an otherwise great deal on a TV.

I would avoid Philips- I looked at them about six months ago and I read a comment that they supported HD through HDMI connnection only.  Supposedly the component connections only supported 480p max.  I wasn't able to corroborate that information but, if true, you would be out of luck for HD on the 360 since it doesn't support HDMI connections yet.  

As for the advantages of LCD versus larger sets:  The advantage of LCDs is typically much lighter and better viewing angles compared to RPTVs.  If you are looking at Direct View CRTs then the viewing angle is no longer a concern but Direct View CRTs typically max out in size around 36" or so.   Direct View CRTs typically have the best picture but they are heavy and there is the previoiusly mentioned size issue.  

As for the outline you saw at the store- the salesman was full of it.  Outlines like that are probably either an inproperly calibrated TV (might have the sharpness maxed out which is a huge mistake) or a DVD with a lot of edge enhancement.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 06:02:09 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
As for the outline you saw at the store- the salesman was full of it.  Outlines like that are probably either an inproperly calibrated TV (might have the sharpness maxed out which is a huge mistake) or a DVD with a lot of edge enhancement.

I'm glad someone pointed this out.

LCD's do not do that if they're properly calibrated and setup.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 06:40:22 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

You were told wrong.  720p is only an issue if you want HD on the original Xbox (which a very small number of games supported).

Mine isn't the Philips, but my Sony CTR HDTV monitor upconverts 720p to 1080i with no lag, and no noticeable change in picture quality (to my eyes).  So agreement from here.

I would avoid Philips- I looked at them about six months ago and I read a comment that they supported HD through HDMI connnection only.  Supposedly the component connections only supported 480p max.

This seems to have been debunked on the AVS forums.

I can't testify to the quality of this TV, but I just know the price is far better than anything else I have seen and people on the AVS forums who got it seemed to be happy with it.

-John

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 06:46:42 PM »

I'm suprised nobody brought it up yet, but one of the biggest differences between LCD's and their overweight cousins are the size!
Up until about a week ago I had a 27" HDTV-Ready LCD that I was using as a computer monitor and for my Xbox 360.
While I had it hooked up to the standard AV (since I got the core version) I second that, there are no "outlines" around the characters. People who still bring up things like "ghosting" are probably people who got an lcd the day they launched (years ago) and there were problems with them. But today's LCDs, IMO, are much better than any CRT can give you. The fact that they weigh a good 75% less helps a lot too, my 27" LCD must have weighed about 47 pounds, with the stand. My 20" Flatscreen CRT magnavox weighe da good 100+ pounds. I can only imagin ea 27" CRT, probably a good 150 pounds or so.

If you check sunday's ads sometimes you'll see 26" LCD HDTV ready TV's (which most of them can also double as a computer monitor) for around $599. I think it was circuit city or sound advice that had a Olevia 26" LCD/HDTV for $599 around 3 weeks ago.
I paid around $450 for my 27" ILO LCD as an open box item, and I regret selling it but I had to make a bill payment and had no other choice.
Having watched tv and gamed on an LCD for so long I have to admit, it's hard going back to "just a CRT".

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 03:01:04 AM »

Ok, so here is what I got.
Link
I set everything right including the switch on the 360 cord.
To tell you the truth I could have lived with out the HDTV right now.
It really don't see the differance, other than brighter colors.
am I missing something?
360 set to HD, 720p & widescreen.

Edited by warning to remove the longest URL in the history of the internet!

PS3 Spinks
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 03:57:40 AM »

am I missing something?
360 set to HD, 720p & widescreen.

Not really.  HD really only becomes apparent on larger screen sets (40+ inches).  

Which isn't to say there isn't improvements- the image should be sharper and the colors a bit more vibrant than in 480p but it isn't the literal night and day difference you see on larger sets.

If you really want to see the difference for yourself, set 480p in the dashboard and see what it looks like.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 12:00:47 PM »

I love my crt but it weighs like 150lbs or so :shock: . It`s a 32".
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 07:33:39 AM »

Ow!  My margins!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 08:43:42 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Ow!  My margins!

Yeah.  Sorry juniordan but you broke the internet.  I'm going to fix your link for ya.   :wink:
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 04:52:34 AM »

Yeah. Sorry juniordan but you broke the internet. I'm going to fix your link for ya.

sorry  :oops:

PS3 Spinks
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 05:16:36 AM »

CRTs (FAT boys?) have, by far, the best visual quality.

And I don't know about that comment above. There is a night and day difference between 720p and 480p, even on a smaller set.I went from a 32" standard def non-widescreen to a 30" widescreen HD set... and the difference on the 360 is astounding. Incredibly crisp picture.

It's the difference between 480x~512 pixels and 720x1280 pixels. Basically, the difference between running something on the PC at 640X480 and running the same thing at 1024x768.

Anyhow, I'm very happy with my CRT. It's heavy as hell, but the image is by far the best out of any of the HD solutions. It's also the cheapest. It's a Sony WEGA 30".
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2006, 06:30:47 AM »

frown

PS3 Spinks
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006, 06:31:16 AM »

Remember this http://Link Back to the store it went.
Ghost outlines and crappy analog picture and a broken comp. receptors.
hopefully I will be the owner of a Sony 30" Wega.

PS3 Spinks
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006, 03:16:39 PM »

Here's the Sony I recently got and it is amazing for XBox 360, HD television programs and DVDs.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 10:31:17 PM »

Quote from: "juniordan"
Remember this http://Link Back to the store it went.
Ghost outlines and crappy analog picture and a broken comp. receptors.
hopefully I will be the owner of a Sony 30" Wega.

hey I just got this sony tv on saturday the xbox360 looks amazing on it
little pricey but I am very happy with it.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KD30XS955&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_hdtv_tube_27%22to32%22

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 10:36:38 PM »

Pingwrx, I've heard nothing but praise for that line of Sony's so well done!

-John

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: