http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 05:27:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turn based strategy/tactical game.  (Read 1828 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2007, 11:07:44 PM »

Lately I've been getting that itch to return to turn based strategy/tactical games.  For a while, I've been focusing on real-time strategy with CoH, or action shooters.  The problem with those is that it's harder to just turn them off to do something else, especially in multiplayer.

What are the current best turn based strategy games I should look into.  I should say that I'm pretty much over Civ 4 and other empire building kind of games.  I guess I'm more looking for X-Com style turn based games, maybe with RPG elements.

Last game I tried was UFO Extraterrestrials and that was a bit of a disapointment.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 11:37:42 PM »

Silent Storm could be good. I remember having fun with one of the MS top-down RTT games, close combat I think it was. Missionforce Cyberstorm was good too.

You might also want to look into Massive Assault, and/or M.A.X.

Of course, of the 5 games I've named, 4 are old.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 03:09:20 AM »

Try the demo of Galactic Assault. It isn't X-Com, but it is a good game.

http://browse.files.filefront.com/Galactic+Assault+Prisoner+of+Power+Official+Demos/;2062886;/browsefiles.html
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 04:53:50 AM »

Well, HOMM V was pretty good if that's what you're looking for.  They also just came out with a new expansion.

Dominions 3 is pretty empire oriented but also has RPG elements.  And it's on sale until the 15th.

Bill Harris has been hawking Armageddon Empires for a while.  It's sort of a turn based board/card game.

Of course, there are a ton of SRPGs on the PS2.  You also might want to check out the upcoming Valkyrie of the Battlefield from Sega for the PS3.

Brigade E5 was supposed to be a new Jagged Alliance, but reviews were terrible.  Speaking of Jagged Alliance, the new version from Strategy First is supposed to be out first quarter next year.

Also, you can always check out the usual suspects, Strategy First, Battlefront, and Matrix to see if anything looks good to you.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Kratz
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 05:27:53 AM »

Silent Storm.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 07:44:01 PM »

Silent Storm was pretty awesome, I still play from time to time. I think they goofed in not better supporting mods and mod-conversion projects (everyone wanted to do an X-COM type game mod with the engine, and nobody in the end came up with anything, afik). And stay away from the poorly reviewed followups, which managed to botch up what should've been a succesful franchise.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 08:23:57 PM »

I played silent storm, the camera was also one of the problems I had with that game.  Instead of just locking down the camera and developing systems to cut away walls or see things transparently, every turn you have to fiddle with the camera until you can do the things you want.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 09:41:25 PM »

Well, since it's free, check out The Battle for Wesnoth
http://www.wesnoth.org/

xbox live: nude rick james
map

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 10:30:20 PM »

armagedon empires gets my vote from everything mentioned here.

Save America, shoot your television.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 10:59:09 PM »

Away Team...I loved the demo. Never got the full game frown

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 11:00:22 PM »

Star Trek: Away Team? I found the full game dreadful I'm afraid. disgust (I did like the demo too, and it seemed like a game tailor made for me). If I can still find my copy (I might've thrown it out, out of disgust), you are more than welcome to it. I'll see if I can find it in my cobwebbed collection of former games. 

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 11:01:51 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 11, 2007, 08:23:57 PM

I played silent storm, the camera was also one of the problems I had with that game.  Instead of just locking down the camera and developing systems to cut away walls or see things transparently, every turn you have to fiddle with the camera until you can do the things you want.
Hmm, I seem to recall the game letting you peel away environmental layers (it wasn't what I could call intuitive though). I'll check my copy later to see which one of us is remembering it correctly.  icon_confused I could live with the camera, fiddlely as it was, but I did find the game got more and more tedious for me the more units I had. Many turn-based games can run into that problem.

I remember I was so excited for Pacific General (after enjoying Panzer General and Allied General), but, good grief -- some campaign missions literally had 100-150 units to move PER TURN! Ugh.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 11:05:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 11:02:41 PM »

Quote from: map on November 11, 2007, 10:30:20 PM

Yeah, that game is amazing smile

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 02:19:24 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 14, 2007, 11:02:41 PM

It really is. It takes some getting used to (meaning like 4 games, which will be fun even though you lose) but is really rewarding as you learn to beat the AI. It's a fantastic game, and as a first effort for a developer, it is a really encouraging sign that this guy's got the goods.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 11:24:49 PM »

hehehe oh im sorry turtle - was this my fault?  oh and by the way its been running flawlessly smile
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 11:31:45 PM »

Fantasy Wars is supposed to be an amazing game, too.  I know we had a link for a demo a while back.  I will dig that out when I get some time smile

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 12:28:37 AM »

Kind of Doopri.  But this is also because I got a new laptop that can handle 3D games, just not the latest in action games so I figured it was a good time to get back into turn based games.  It's also got a tablet interface, perfect for this kind of thing.

Vic Davis aka Cryptic D
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 11:48:07 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on November 15, 2007, 02:19:24 AM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 14, 2007, 11:02:41 PM

It really is. It takes some getting used to (meaning like 4 games, which will be fun even though you lose) but is really rewarding as you learn to beat the AI. It's a fantastic game, and as a first effort for a developer, it is a really encouraging sign that this guy's got the goods.

You guys are way too kind. But I am glad to hear that you are enjoying it.  I just put up version 1.06 for the PC this week and I have been posting some art on my blog for the upcoming free mini expansion pack "Cults of the Wasteland" due out this Winter. My goal is to provide a challenge for players who have mastered the AI pretty well.  There are going to be three unique cults that break the games rules in different ways.  Not cheating but their behaviour is hopefully going to throw a monkey wrench into the normal flow of a game.  eek
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 12:42:58 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 14, 2007, 11:00:22 PM

Star Trek: Away Team? I found the full game dreadful I'm afraid. disgust (I did like the demo too, and it seemed like a game tailor made for me). If I can still find my copy (I might've thrown it out, out of disgust), you are more than welcome to it. I'll see if I can find it in my cobwebbed collection of former games. 

Wow that would be cool. Its one of those games I waited on then it poofed and when I did see it again it was priced about the same as when it started lol. thank you. Gimmi a yell if ya find it. Thnx!  nod

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 01:12:36 AM »

*Star Trek theme music plays*
Star Trek Away Team. The final frontier. Its turn-based mission, to lie in Dilithium Stasis for 6 years....

Daaa Daaaaaaaaaaa, Da da da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......
*whoosh whoosh*
Daaa Daaaaaaaaaaa, Da da da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......

Alas, I can't in my nightmarish computer room, track down the manual for it. I'm really curious if it would run on XP. I might give it a whirl just to check that (it released in 2001).

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 02:11:53 AM »

I thought Away Team was real time like Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 01:05:39 PM »

Can we get some love for GalCiv?  icon_biggrin

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
map

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 01:28:36 PM »

here's the galciv love[at least galciv 2 w/ expansions]. i played almost as much galciv as civilization i.e. until my eyes were burning out of my skull. i play a lot of computer games[too many] and have for too many years. having said that, again i want to pimp armagedon empires. it is a very unique clever game. easy to get into and the more you play the more you realize the depth it has. plus as you can see above the game's creator is very supportive, and appears to be a good human being[or a very clever a.i.]. in a gaming world of hit or miss block busters i think it can only help in the long run to support a small indie developer who has produced a great product.

Save America, shoot your television.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: