http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 06:43:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TRULY late to the party: Final Fantasy X  (Read 2583 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2005, 07:57:58 PM »

I love me some RPGs.  I essentially play only RPGs (and some Gitaroo-Man as well as NHL games).  I can't get enough of that genre.

That being said, I know it's crazy, but I hadn't played Final Fantasy X til about four days ago.  Now I am about 28 hours in and I absolutely <3 it.

It has everything that I really like with RPG games - a good story, memorable characters, fantastic graphics and one of the better battle systems I've played for an RPG.  Plus I really enjoy the music.  And, I know I'm weird, but if an RPG doesn't have good music it really bogs down the experience for me.

I like the sphere grid.  Although there are those "set routes" that are obvious for every character, there still is a good deal of customization you can do.  It's a good way of eliminating the whole "level" aspect that many RPG games seem to employ.

But it's really a fantastic game.  It's, really, the ideal RPG game for me personally in many respects.  It has been a culmination of what I've always looked for in an RPG.  Now I have to see if the ending of the game (which the actual ending ending was spoiled by someone with me   frown ) is as good as what I've played thus far.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 08:58:13 PM »

You have Gitaroo-Man?  That's worth like seventy billion dollars.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 09:01:07 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Yep it's indeed pretty rare.  But it is SERIOUSLY worth every penny.  My brother picked it up when it was on clearance at a local Fred Meyer store a long time ago.

Just don't mention how my brother bought Rez for the PS2 for, I think, $25 or something at a store . . . and traded it in for about $10 credit.  Now THAT sells for seventy billion dollars.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 09:59:35 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Yep it's indeed pretty rare.  But it is SERIOUSLY worth every penny.  My brother picked it up when it was on clearance at a local Fred Meyer store a long time ago.

Just don't mention how my brother bought Rez for the PS2 for, I think, $25 or something at a store . . . and traded it in for about $10 credit.  Now THAT sells for seventy billion dollars.

Deppy, I told you on IM time and time again that FFX was the seminal console RPG. It represents to me what you say it does to you-it is the epitome of everything I like and want in a console RPG. I hope they continue to evolve, but so far they don't get any better. This is the main reason why I just can't seem to get into too many other console RPGs lately-they all fall short for me.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 10:15:53 PM »

'bout time, mate (ah,... memories of lulu...) smile ...

i'll get solidly trashed for saying this, but go on & give x-2 a try as well - you  just might have as much fun with it as i did...

okay, now back to loz: oracle of seasons (you wanna talk 'late to the party'?)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 10:27:19 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
'bout time, mate (ah,... memories of lulu...) smile ...

i'll get solidly trashed for saying this, but go on & give x-2 a try as well - you  just might have as much fun with it as i did...

okay, now back to loz: oracle of seasons (you wanna talk 'late to the party'?)...

SC-I tried FFX-2, and I am a rabid FFX fanboy. I hated it. I hated the music, the dressing up, the mission based gameplay. I just hated it frown I prefer to just replay FFX than to sully my image of the girls smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 10:42:37 PM »

If you play Final Fantasy X-2 you will lose your testicles!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 10:58:24 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

good one! smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 11:19:12 PM »

Depward, dude, what the hell? You haven't played FFX before this? And you're supposed to like RPGs?

And yes, the ending is worthwhile.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 11:40:25 PM »

Yep, FFX is probably my top RPG for this generation.  Replayed it this year and it was just as good as it was back in 2001.  

One of the things I love most about it is that the mechanics are exceedingly player friendly- you can swap out any character during a battle with no penalty.  Data on enemy strength and weaknesses, hp, etc is easily found without having to experiment yourself, go to a strategy guide, read a FAQ, etc.  It really felt like the game gave me all of the tools to succeed so if I lost a fight I had only myself to blame.  And the characters in your party are just great.  Not only in terms of personality but each was incredibly useful in battle so that I was never stuck with a preferred lineup and a bunch of second stringers.  

And yeah, the ending is awesome.  Square knows a thing or two about incredible endings.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 01:57:18 AM »

Apparently, you're not the only one - FFX has been in the Top 10 FAQs at GameFAQs for months now.  It's still my favorite RPG of all time, and the ending is definitely one of, if not the best, ever.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 03:55:09 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Apparently, you're not the only one - FFX has been in the Top 10 FAQs at GameFAQs for months now.  It's still my favorite RPG of all time, and the ending is definitely one of, if not the best, ever.

Damn straight it is-I'm not sure, but its possible it made my eyes misty the first time. I'm just saying.
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 05:53:48 AM »

I still think FF7 is the best one. I wanna buy the game, but refuse to spend 30 bucks on it.

Why are you trying to make fun of me?
You think it's funny?
What the ____ you think you're doing to me?
You take your turn lashing out at me.
I want you crying with your dirty ass in front of me - K.O.R.N.

* The World Aint Knowing "
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 11:33:13 AM »

For some reason, while I love the FF games, FFX was just not my cup of tea.  I felt way too closed in with little to no exploration until way too late in the game and felt like I was watching a movie instead of playing a game.  I know I am 1 in a million here by not liking it, but it just wasn't my thing.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 05:03:38 PM »

Quote from: "The General"
I still think FF7 is the best one. I wanna buy the game, but refuse to spend 30 bucks on it.

Good thing you don't have to then, huh?  FFX has been a Greatest Hits title for an eternity is MSRPs for $19.99 and you can often find sales on GH hits titles for 14.99 or less.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 06:01:06 PM »

Now I am about 28 hours in and I absolutely <3 it.

Only 100 hours and 3 minutes to catch me biggrin But I can defeat the final boss in one hit. That was my goal.

I'm glad you like it, I did aswell and everyone always tells me they never liked it, but I've played Final Fantasy 1 & 2 - 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 and 10 stands out to me as a good one.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 06:05:25 PM »

While FFX isn't my favorite RPG of this generation (Shadow Hearts:  Covenant takes that title), it was truly fantastic game.  I'd easily list it in my top 10 games of all time.

FFX-2, however, was an absolute travesty.  Words cannot express how much I hated that game.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 06:08:02 PM »

I didnt hate FF-X-2 I just thought it sucked. I'm only like 92% done FFX-2, and thats since it came out, even time I turn it on I get a head ache.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005, 06:20:37 PM »

Well I picked up FFX-2 a couple of days ago, so I'll chug through that when I'm done with FFX I suppose.

You see, I was a RABID FFVI (U.S. FF3) "fanboy" . . . well, I guess I still am.  I still think that's the best, well, RPG ever.  There are so many well done elements in that game.  And the opera scene(s) has got to be one of my top 5 most favorite moments in a video game.

Since I was a N64 fan I didn't play FFVII, VIII, or IX when they first came out.  Which is pretty much retarded because of how I love the RPG genre.  But I played through FFVII about a year ago and really enjoyed the experience.

FVIII I still need to play more of.  As well as FFIX.

But anyways, yep, I am a dorkbutt for having waiting so long to actually play FFX.  One hit kill for the final boss Darren8r?  Good Lordie.

If there's one thing I don't really like about FFX, it's probably Blitzball.  But, then again, I haven't played too much of it.  So I might as well give it a go and play a couple of games before passing judgement.

Nice to see that many people enjoyed FFX though!

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2005, 06:34:14 PM »

No, no, no, dont play Blitzball now, you will have to play atleast 4 seasons later on in the game for Wakkas super weapon.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2005, 06:54:02 PM »

FFX-2 is wildly different from FFX, and sometimes goes into cringe-inducing silliness, but as a gameplay-centered game, it's great fun to play, and has a great battle system.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2005, 07:56:21 PM »

Since I was a N64 fan I didn't play FFVII, VIII, or IX when they first came out. Which is pretty much retarded because of how I love the RPG genre. But I played through FFVII about a year ago and really enjoyed the experience.

I must say I find it hysterical that someone who loves RPGs as much as you was an N64 fan smile

You can pretty much ignore Blitzball if you want (I did).  It won't hurt you at all.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2005, 08:01:28 PM »

Yeah I sucked bad at Blitzball so I ignored it-but it sucks because you need to do it for Wakkas super weapon.

Has anyone gotten every aeon upgrade, every weapon upgrade, all the hidden stuff?

I got about half of the super weapons and at least one "hidden Aeon" but I moved on to somehting else my first playthrough rather than spend more time to unlock it all. Next time I play it I want to get everything smile

I think my initial playtime was like 45 hours.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2005, 08:34:31 PM »

I got the hidden Aeons, and it wasn't that difficult or time-consuming like the ultimate weapons are supposed to be.  Some of the hidden Aeons can ignore the max 9999 damage, so they do lots of damage to the final boss.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2005, 08:44:49 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
For some reason, while I love the FF games, FFX was just not my cup of tea.  I felt way too closed in with little to no exploration until way too late in the game and felt like I was watching a movie instead of playing a game.  I know I am 1 in a million here by not liking it, but it just wasn't my thing.

Make it 2 in a million, as I didn't like it either.

Give me Final Fantasy 6 or 9 any day of the week.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2005, 09:13:34 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Arkon"

Make it 2 in a million, as I didn't like it either.

Three in a million.  FFX was a bit of fun at first, but I didn't enjoy it for very long and lost interest after 10 or 15 hours.  For that matter, I haven't yet found a FF game I do like.  But I keep trying and going back to them.

Give me Dragon Warrior any day.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2005, 11:21:57 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I got the hidden Aeons, and it wasn't that difficult or time-consuming like the ultimate weapons are supposed to be.  Some of the hidden Aeons can ignore the max 9999 damage, so they do lots of damage to the final boss.

yeah, the hidden aeons are a must - pretty easy to get, very cool (yojimbo!) & very helpful near the end...

&, as far as the ultimate weapons, i still can't believe i dodged lightning, what, 100 times in a row, to get lulu's? one of the wackiest things i've ever managed in any game...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2005, 12:15:01 AM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
&, as far as the ultimate weapons, i still can't believe i dodged lightning, what, 100 times in a row, to get lulu's? one of the wackiest things i've ever managed in any game...

200 I believe.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2005, 01:13:23 AM »

I'm about 50 hours into the game. Started it last summer, but then I lost interest at one point (The Calm Lands) because I was getting my ass handed to me by the stronger monsters. But then I decided two weeks ago I'd give it another try and start over. Now when I understand the mechanics better, I managed to get past the Calm Lands and I'm currently getting the hell frustrated out of me trying to beat the damn Chocobo race to unlock the Sun Sigil.
It's an awesome game but it has these mini games that annoy me. I think it's my first real console RPG and I like it very much. I have Shadow Hearts 2 as well but it's on the back burner for now.

My smile still stays on.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2005, 01:51:31 AM »

Yeah, I can say with a straight face that the "mini games" of FFX are beyond a doubt one of the most irritating things invented. Dodge 200 friggin' lightning bolts, and if you screw up once, start all over again? Catch the right butterflies by dodging the other one, under allocated time? Make 0.00 on a chocobo by pure luck? Catch all the monsters in such-and-such areas?

Screw that! No ultimate weapon's worth that.

(..I did complete the chocobo race, and lightning bolt dodge...)

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2005, 02:59:35 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"

Has anyone gotten every aeon upgrade, every weapon upgrade, all the hidden stuff?

Yes, call me a nerd, but I put in 132 hours. Found all the hidden goodies, got the cool hidden aeons and upgraded all the weapons. Another noteable mention would be I got Yuna around the entire sphere grid. I really dont want to play that game ever again, I've put way to many hours in!

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2005, 03:30:26 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

200 I believe.

damn! - i'm good! smile ...

Quote from: "Darren8r"
Found all the hidden goodies, got the cool hidden aeons and upgraded all the weapons. Another noteable mention would be I got Yuna around the entire sphere grid. I really dont want to play that game ever again, I've put way to many hours in!

impressive (especially the yuna / sphere grid part!)...

i got ultimate weapons for tidus, yuna, & lulu... & that was enough for me (still have my save at the entrance to the omega ruins, but've never gone back)...

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2005, 03:33:57 AM »

omega ruins are the best place to level up! And use that move(I forget what its called) to see the opponents overdrive Kamari starts with it, use that on Omega when you find him!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: