http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:03:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Troika is no more. :(  (Read 2271 times)
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2005, 07:48:05 PM »

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/35886

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 08:01:10 PM »

With the rumors going around I figured it was only a matter of time 'til it was official.

I have mixed feelings on the whole thing since those guys clearly had talent, but there was something completely messed up in the design process that kept their games from being as amazing as they should have been.

Hopefully they will go on to good companies and put some of that talent to better use.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 08:22:09 PM »

So there goes any hope that the remaining bugs/glitches in Vampire will get cleaned up.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 08:23:17 PM »

Thier workers will move onto to other companies so we can always have bugs and glitches to keep us happy biggrin

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 09:52:38 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
So there goes any hope that the remaining bugs/glitches in Vampire will get cleaned up.

I'd just wait for more fan patches to clean up the mess. After all, it seems the fan base was more dedicated to bug fixing than Troika was. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 09:56:20 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

I have mixed feelings on the whole thing since those guys clearly had talent, but there was something completely messed up in the design process that kept their games from being as amazing as they should have been.

Hopefully they will go on to good companies and put some of that talent to better use.

s

Yes!  Exactly.  Some of their programers obviously had talent but they couldn't get a decent product out the door!  Hopefully the good ones will be snatched up by other companies and the idiots that allowed all their releases to be buggy messes will not be in charge!

Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 04:58:54 PM »

Wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian picks some of them up.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 07:20:33 PM »

Quote from: "Hamlet3145"
Wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian picks some of them up.

I'm sure Fallout fans would like it if Bethesda grabbed some for Fallout 3.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 07:24:35 PM »

Doubt that will happen. Don't you think Bethesda has their own ideas (whether you like them or not) that they dont want to have to fight about with TC and LB constantly? I imagine thats what would happen if they hired them. Word on the street was that the Fallout license was not that expensive. Troike had a chance, as a company and to get fallout. They managed neither. Some good talent, some good promise. Bad, bad results most of the time. Of all the "modern" AD&D games (excepting the retched Pool of Radiance), TOEE was the only one that I didnt finish (or replay for that matter). Arcanum as fun as it was, was a buggy mess, and Vampire broke halfway into the game for many people.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 10:20:30 PM »

Hell I started up Vampire last night..a new game...and right as I got to LA the game sent me to my desktop...no warnings and no errors. I just started up WoW instead.

Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 10:50:38 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "Sepiche"

s

Yes!  Exactly.  Some of their programers obviously had talent but they couldn't get a decent product out the door!  Hopefully the good ones will be snatched up by other companies and the idiots that allowed all their releases to be buggy messes will not be in charge!

I don't think there were any idiots at Troika.  A good project manager who enforces quality control and processes may be all that was needed.  Troika obviously had some talent but had trouble in the final execution.

I played Arcanum and Bloodlines and was very impressed with both games despite some of the bugs.

I would be curious on how some of the T. workers viewed this from an insider perspective.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 10:53:25 PM »

I've never seen a string of recent games by 1 development studio with as many bugs, both game stopping and small, as Troika's last 3.  The content in their games was never in question, it was just their ability to actually make a working game.  ToEE was an absolute mess, and vampire:bloodlines was unplayable for many, even with patch 1.2. I hate seeing rpg developers go down, but when they can't even make a game that works in their last 3 tries, something is wrong.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 10:58:17 PM »

Quote from: "Jafisob"

I don't think there were any idiots at Troika.  A good project manager who enforces quality control and processes may be all that was needed.  Troika obviously had some talent but had trouble in the final execution.

I played Arcanum and Bloodlines and was very impressed with both games despite some of the bugs.

I would be curious on how some of the T. workers viewed this from an insider perspective.

In some sense though they are idiots if they can't see that they needed a good project manager!  They knew after Arcanum that they had a blind spot for bugs, this was hammered home with TOEE - to not have addressed this by the time Vampire came out shows they had some problems - serious managment problems.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 11:18:36 PM »

I must be the only person around who thought Arcanum was absolutely awful, save for playing a character with zero mental capacity. Some of the resultant dialogue was inspired, but the end result was the same - an awful game riddled with bugs that wound up being an rpg-lite half-ass game.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2005, 03:43:54 AM »

Arcanum is RPG lite????????? In that case a heavy RPG has never been made.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2005, 10:44:02 AM »

Actually, I thought the combat gameplay for Arcanum to be abysmal.  I ended up cheating through any combat because it was really poor.

That said, the character interaction, gadget, magic, setting, etc... was all quite nice.

That was pretty much Troika's signature, truly inspired games that are fatally flawed.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2005, 02:54:47 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Doubt that will happen. Don't you think Bethesda has their own ideas (whether you like them or not) that they dont want to have to fight about with TC and LB constantly? I imagine thats what would happen if they hired them. Word on the street was that the Fallout license was not that expensive. Troike had a chance, as a company and to get fallout. They managed neither.

From what I read Troika was always living from contract to contract. They didn't have any money of their own to do things like grab a licsense, even if it was cheap.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2005, 04:28:54 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
Quote from: "Rage"
Doubt that will happen. Don't you think Bethesda has their own ideas (whether you like them or not) that they dont want to have to fight about with TC and LB constantly? I imagine thats what would happen if they hired them. Word on the street was that the Fallout license was not that expensive. Troike had a chance, as a company and to get fallout. They managed neither.

From what I read Troika was always living from contract to contract. They didn't have any money of their own to do things like grab a licsense, even if it was cheap.

Didn't they need to license D&D and Vampire: the Masquerade to create a game based on someone else's material?
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2005, 06:43:09 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
D&D and Vampire: the Masquerade to create a game based on someone else's material?

The publishers approched them and they had the rights, not trokia.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2005, 03:56:28 PM »

I won't say that I'll necessarily miss their products, but I'll miss their ideas.  I gave up  on Arcanum after trying to play a halfling with the throwing skill.  I spent 10 minutes playing and 50 minutes checking all the trash cans in town for rags to make molotov cocktails.  Why couldn't I just buy a cheap shirt and rip that up?  Oh well, at least I got it for free because I was in the beta.  I never bothered with TOEE or Vampire because of all the reported bugs.  Too bad.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 06:11:48 PM »

Finally that craphole of a company is gone.

Really they didn't make good games. Vampire didn't interest me one bit, not one damn iota. Every game I bought from them looked like it'd be quite fun, but after a few hours of playing I was tossing  yet another game in the garbage.

3drealms needs to go bye-bye too.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2005, 06:16:55 PM »

3drealms has been bye bye for about 7 years...not done a thing.

Gorath
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2005, 09:18:32 PM »

They did something: produce Max Payne -developer was some Scandinavian company- and sell the IP to Take 2 for 45 Mio $. Their 50% or so piece of the cake lets them sleep peacefully. slywink If one Indy developer has all the time in the world then it´s 3DR.

Now playing:
The Moment of Silence
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: