http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 01:30:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trine - Trine 2 on it's way!  (Read 5422 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2009, 08:05:31 PM »

it's a side scrolling action game from the devs that did the Shadowground games.  I just played a bit of the demo on Steam and it's actually pretty fun, with pretty impressive graphics and a good physics system.  has anyone grabbed the full version yet?  my main concern is that the Shadowground games were fairly short, so 30 bucks kinda puts me on the fence about buying the game.  maybe I'll wait for a sale.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:39:44 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 08:38:25 PM »

For some reason, the PC version is the most expensive at $30. You'll be able to get it when it hits the PSN and eventually the 360 for $20.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 12:23:38 AM »

I had a lot of fun with the demo but I just canít bring myself to pay $30 for a short game that is bound to be on sale for $20 or less in a monthís time.  I know the price difference is trivial but I canít help myself.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 01:08:38 AM »

the Steam version of the game now has their Cloud Support, which means it saves your game on a server so you can pick up where you left off anywhere you are.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 03:21:10 AM »

The Steam version was supposed to be out tomorrow, but there was a last minute bug found that has delayed it for an uncertain amount of time.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 03:57:24 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 30, 2009, 03:21:10 AM

The Steam version was supposed to be out tomorrow, but there was a last minute bug found that has delayed it for an uncertain amount of time.

you mean PS3?

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 06:27:11 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 30, 2009, 03:57:24 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 30, 2009, 03:21:10 AM

you mean PS3?

I do mean PS3.  Der.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »

What a fun little game. Glad they are nerfing the last level though!  icon_evil
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 09:31:03 PM »

This game is superb. 

I wish it was longer!

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 10:28:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 19, 2009, 08:05:31 PM

it's a side scrolling action game from the devs that did the Shadowground games.  I just played a bit of the demo on Steam and it's actually pretty fun, with pretty impressive graphics and a good physics system.  has anyone grabbed the full version yet?  my main concern is that the Shadowground games were fairly short, so 30 bucks kinda puts me on the fence about buying the game.  maybe I'll wait for a sale.
I belatedly finished Shadowgrounds: Survivor and felt like it was a bit short (although the solo skirmish modes are fun to a point). I remember the original game as feeling a lot longer and I felt more like I got my money's worth (it wasn't quite a bargain game initially, something like $29.99).

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 02:49:40 PM »

Steam has a solid sale going on for Trine ($22.49 instead of $29.99) through Aug. 19:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/35700/

I finally tried the demo today. It's fun, I'm almost too dumb to figure out what to do in certain situations but I like that it's not one of those platformers where you die, die, die every time you make a mistake.

fwiw, when you exit the demo, it takes you to the (I think?) publisher's direct-buy page where it touts that you can play it offline, burn it to CD for safekeeping, and re-download it if you have problems or your hard drive craps out etc. The Steam version's fine but I know there are some who do want to be able to play it offline so I thought I'd mention it.

I just wish Frozenbyte would get the resources to make one of their games co-op online on PC for a change.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:59:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 03:28:30 PM »

It'll still be cheaper on the PS3 when it comes to PSN (rumored to be this week, but we'll see tonight).

It's only $20 on the store.  Supposedly, that's due to a different publisher.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 05:00:18 PM »

I'm strictly a PC and handhelds gamer today. It makes my game purchase decisions a lot easier.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 07:09:28 PM »

Supposedly the game is 30% off in the Steam Store today putting it at around $22.  That might make me bite smile

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 07:18:38 PM »

You, um, don't say...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 04:11:09 AM »

it's now on Impluse... for 20 bucks... and that coupon is still good....

Because I can,
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 12:30:22 AM »

It is so tempting to pick this game up...darn it, too much other stuff to play, so I will wait for now.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 01:54:25 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 01, 2009, 12:30:22 AM

It is so tempting to pick this game up...darn it, too much other stuff to play, so I will wait for now.

I just played it for a bit and it's pretty fun, but I'll probably put it to the side for now.

Because I can,
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 02:36:09 PM »

I picked it up to play with my kid - quite fun, and occasionally a little tricky.  I like the combination of genres - I basically think of it as a majorly amped up version of The Lost Vikings, a style of game I had feared was lost to the ravages of time.  This version holds up quite well, although I/we haven't played too deeply into it just yet.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 04:30:56 PM »

It's interesting -- I still have gobs of Trine demo screenshots in my FRAPS screenshots directory. So when I'm weeding through my new Torchlight screenies (it's saved alphabetically automatically by FRAPS), I keep stumbling into the Trine shots and remarking how both games look colorful and vibrant, albeit in different genres.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 08:14:57 PM »

I replayed the demo, and enjoyed it a lot more than I remembered. The sword fighting reminds me a bit of good 'ole Prince of Persia, and archer's grappling hook has that Bionic Commando vibe going on. I remembered what folks here said about using the mage's abilities whenever I thought I was stuck and that removed whatever frustration I had the first time around.

I think I might pick it up. icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 02:04:22 PM »

I got this via Steam (I guess it's a shame I missed the big August sale) last night, rebelling against the current obsession with Big Budget Premium Priced PC Titles. Like I babbled, seeing my old Trine demo screenshots near my Torchlight ones the other day reawakened my interest.  icon_smile

I actually find myself using "body english" when using the Thief's grappling hook. Pretty ridiculous on my part.  icon_razz

There's a very Lite RPG thing going on with new abilities and bonuses (you don't reach that point in the demo levels).

The first big boss battle kicked my rump. Eventually some "jump slashes" by the Knight, and a final well placed, fully-charged arrow shot by the archer finished him/it.

I've really gotten into the "creative problem-solving aspect" of the game, and of sometimes stumbling into solutions in the course of trying all 3 character types.

It gets really interesting when you lose one or two of the characters (particular potions can restore them), esp. if you only have the wizard left. Once I realized the Wizard can shove bad guys off ledges with his drawn-boxes, or kill them by dropping a box on top of them, it opened a lot of doors, so to speak.  icon_twisted

While I doubt it set any sales records, it does sound like Nobilis/Frozenbyte have ideas for a followup game. I wish they'd find a way to add online co-op to the PC version, but it doesn't sound like online is something Frozenbyte's Shadowgrounds engine can do.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:10:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 02:13:48 PM »

A couple Thief glimpses...

The bow gets more versatile. My suggestion is they let you shoot arrows into certain walls, and then climb up them like a ladder.  ninja2

I'm playing on Normal skill. Easy seemed too much of a cakewalk. Normal seems challenging, with occasional character deaths, but I haven't run into too many teeth-gnashing situations.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 02:24:24 PM »

Excellent game, and nice write-up.  I originally got it to play with my son on his PC together, but that led to my one single complaint: if you play with a gamepad on a PC then you're pretty much stuck with the XBox 360 controller.  You can get another to "work," but in a rather poor fashion.

Other than that, it's been a pleasure to play the game.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 04:19:00 AM »

A few breakthrough moments tonight, captioned for amusement.  icon_smile

I am stumped on the inventory items. I mean, I click and sort of highlight them, but the interface doesn't really give any feedback to indicate if the character is using Leggings, Poison for dipping weapons, or what have you. I mean, it's in the Thief or Knight's inventory but I don't see any visual effect to indicate the weapon does poison damage. Any ideas?  icon_confused

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 02:06:10 PM »

I liked the "torch illumination" level, where you ignite various dead torches to illuminate the level:

Any idea how to beat This boss? After all my characters died, the 2nd go around, I was able to just skip him and move through the open gate to the next level. I assume the light blue patch on his back is a weak spot, but I couldn't seem to do any damage. He can't bash through the Knight's shield, but the creature does push you very quickly.

I got splattered by this group. Belatedly remembered the "Charge" (shift key) skill, maybe it'll help there. I get a little annoyed sometimes that the shield will point upward when you want it to deflect horizontal attacks. icon_confused

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 04:37:32 PM »

Stuck. I really can't figure out what to do here. I've swam below and there's no other away around this area.  icon_confused Gonna try official forums.

The left-most platform collapses unless you put a board or box on it first. But I can't juryrig my way across that wide a chasm.

Neeeeever MIND.... missed a room. Sigh...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 05:03:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 09:15:19 PM »

There's always something like this when you get stuck.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »

Steam's doing a 50% Off sale today ($9.99), bastiges... I still got stuck where I last posted, even after reading walkthroughs. I'll give it another whirl at some point.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »

Glad to see this getting some attention here.  I purchased it after the first sale and loved it.

Some answers and hints to the above posts

Blue stone Boss.  Use the archer and point the bow up to shoot over his head.  Once I upgraded the thief a bit I actually preferred her in combat to the warrior.

The inventory items are not one time use.  Collect them all to add extra stats/abilities to your characters.

Don't forget that your other characters can use mage items.  Including the thief's grapple.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 04:18:05 AM »

Here was my GT review.  Short answer?  I like it!
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 05:26:21 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 28, 2009, 08:32:00 PM

Steam's doing a 50% Off sale today ($9.99), bastiges... I still got stuck where I last posted, even after reading walkthroughs. I'll give it another whirl at some point.

And the sale is now over. Back to regular price ($19.99) while I dithered over buying it. frown

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 06:52:24 PM »

Quote from: Atragon on November 29, 2009, 05:26:21 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on November 28, 2009, 08:32:00 PM

And the sale is now over. Back to regular price ($19.99) while I dithered over buying it. frown
Don't feel too bad - I forgot to grab GRID while it was one sale.  Now there's Trackmania United Forever, but I just don't get the same single-player awesomeness feeling from it.

Anyway, I'd still get Trine - it's worth it at full price, imho.
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 07:02:44 PM »

Perhaps it will return with the Holiday Sale ( assuming they have a sale for the holidays ).

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2009, 12:05:07 AM »

Finally got around to picking this up today, and have a dumb question.  How, exactly, do you save the game?  I played for about an hour, then hit a Checkpoint and exited to the main menu.  When I chose to "Continue" it started me back at the very beginning of the game.  WTF?

The videos seem to be running very slow and choppy as well, and it always cuts off the end of the video whenever the load screen starts so I don't hear the last bit of the narrative.  

Any thoughts?

EDIT:  Never mind.  I just realized it only saves at the end of levels.  Still not sure about the videos, but that's not too big of a deal.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 02:23:41 PM by Gratch » Logged

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2009, 02:25:17 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 24, 2009, 12:05:07 AM

Finally got around to picking this up today, and have a dumb question.  How, exactly, do you save the game?  I played for about an hour, then hit a Checkpoint and exited to the main menu.  When I chose to "Continue" it started me back at the very beginning of the game.  WTF?

The videos seem to be running very slow and choppy as well, and it always cuts off the end of the video whenever the load screen starts so I don't hear the last bit of the narrative.  

Any thoughts?
I'll try to play a bit today and refresh my memory.  icon_smile

I strongly advise that you only quit to the menu when you've truly completed a level (unless of course you're just stuck on a solution, which happens to me often). I believe the checkpoints are just there to save you a little time during your game session, but do not actually work as "savegame" points. I found that out when I beat a particularly tough boss, quit a little while later, and then found I had to tackle said boss AGAIN.  Roll Eyes

I think when you have completed a level/section, that's when the cutscene will kick in and you view the map that gives you a general idea of your progress. But I might even be wrong about that, so I'll try to replay some stuff today to remember it.

I really like the game, but certain levels completely confound me, even after I check the official forums for suggestions. And apparently some of the endgame stuff is ridiculous (something along the lines of some Ninja Gaiden games I played in the late 1980s where you'd have to do everything perfect and replay a level 5,000 times to finish it).

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2010, 12:26:52 PM »

fwiw, Frozenbyte issued a 1.06 patch Saturday (April 9). It removes copy protection from the U.S. and European versions, among other things. Also, the earlier 1.05 patch "nerfed" the infamous final level on 3 of the difficutly levels (easy/medium/hard) in response to much teeth gnashing.  icon_razz

Trine 1.06 patch
http://trine-thegame.com/site/index.php?page=patches

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2010, 12:47:34 AM »

free DLC!

Because I can,
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 08:51:25 AM »

75% off on steam as well

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 05:42:41 PM »

looks like I'll be finally get around to finishing the first game in time for the second, which will be announced at E3.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: