http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 07:57:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tribes Vengeance is AWESOME!  (Read 3859 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2004, 04:58:55 PM »

I used to play Tribes 1 back in the day.  Never really played Tribes 2.  Downloaded the demo for this one and I was hooked.  They took everything cool about T1 and supercharged it!  The game is fast paced FUN!

All of the revamp decisions they made are spot on, IMO.  

Is anyone else playing this one?
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 05:07:59 PM »

Someone told me the single player game was also very good. Have you tried that aspect of it?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 05:46:46 PM »

Yes, I played a little bit of that last night.  The first 3-4 missions.  So far it seems geared towards teaching new players how to play the game.  I don't know how it changes in the later levels.  The levels are really cool though and the voice acting is a-ok.

For me, it's really about the online action though, which is top-notch.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 07:46:22 PM »

The SP campaign is great, which comes as a nice surprise.  It feels a little Warcraft-like in that you get to play characters from all sides of the story.  It’s definitely not an afterthought that was put into the game just to get players ready for MP.  I’ve already put in more time played than most FPS SP games, and I’m still a few missions/levels from the end.  The SP campaign does an excellent job of introducing new gameplay concepts, vehicles, and weapons all while developing a pretty cool storyline.  Unlike UT where the SP is just a bunch of MP events linked together, Tribes:V has a legitimate SP campaign. It’s a heck of a lot longer than I thought it would be, not to mention the efforts put into the story and characters are right on par or better than most typical FPSs.  I haven’t even touched the MP much, since I’m sucked into the SP right now.  Fun game.  

All that being said, a couple things to note:

Negative
-   There are no secondary fire options on weapons.
-   You may find yourself sticking with only 1 weapon for the entire SP game since some of them seem unbalanced (high damage + long range + good splash damage + knockback = uber weapon).      
-   I’ve never been able to figure out the whole skiing thing, mainly because your momentum while skiing = the direction of travel which you can’t change unless you jetpack or stop skiing.  I was hoping you could lean to either side and change direction while skiing.  Maybe I just haven’t cracked the code on skiing yet.
-   A few issues trying to run EAX 3d sound ( I couldn’t hear some of the mission dialogue).  I turned off EAX and it works fine.  
-   Arena play is very UT like.
-   A good player in light armor with a sniper rifle can wreak havoc.  Factor in a speed pack and you’d have a hard time catching them.  
-   Not sure what the advantages of wearing medium armor are compared to donning light or heavy (other than you can still pilot vehicles).      

Positive
-   Jetpacking is great, and I’m loving the maneuverability.  I miss being able to fly around when I play other FPSs now.  
-   The SP campaign does a nice job of working the ability to jetpack into the level designs.
-   You get a wench that can be used to latch onto anything even while in mid-air, at which point you can pull out a weapon while swinging around on the wench line and shoot.  I like jetpacking in one direction, turn to the side and fire the wench, and then have the wench line pull me into a hard angle in another direction while pulling out a weapon a shooting.  
-   Graphics are nice and run well on my mid-range system.
-   Arena play is very UT like.  
-   Wearing heavy armor has an appropriate Heavy Gear light-mech type feel.  
-   The SP campaign is very strong, and worth the price of admission imo.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 07:49:20 PM »

I was very interested in getting this...until I checked the gamespy stats and it shows more people were playing the demo than the full version at the time (last night)...I just checked right now, and it only has 479 people playing the demo and I can't find the retail...

How's the online community?  The players?  Mostly younger people screaming obnoxious things over the com or does the community have some mature players, from your experience?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Daremo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 07:52:04 PM »

The single player game is really enjoyable.  At first it seemed more of a tutorial but after a few missions the story pulls you in.  I bought the game for the single player only since I dont play much online and I was not one bit dissapointed.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 08:19:31 PM »

I respectfully disagree--I found Tribes: Vengeance to be very disappointing (in MP at least).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 09:32:40 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I was very interested in getting this...until I checked the gamespy stats and it shows more people were playing the demo than the full version at the time (last night)...I just checked right now, and it only has 479 people playing the demo and I can't find the retail...

How's the online community?  The players?  Mostly younger people screaming obnoxious things over the com or does the community have some mature players, from your experience?

I had absolutely zero problems finding a game last night in retail.  The Tribes communitty, for as long as I can remember, has been very supportive of the games.  I have a couple of friends that play in tribes that have been around for years.  There is definitely a strong online following.

As for screaming idiots....well, this is the internet isn't it?  As will all online MP games, there are a fair amount.
Burwil
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 10:17:30 PM »

Excellent game......one of the rare ones where both single and multi shine.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 04:39:29 PM »

I respectfully disagree--I found Tribes: Vengeance to be very disappointing (in MP at least).

Care to elaborate why you didn't like it?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 05:24:26 PM »

Oh man, it just get's more addictive.  There might be a pack that I haven't tried, but I get when I kill someone after a spawn.  Then I try to piece together all the possible uses for that pack with setups.

Had a blast playing again last night.  I think I must have played for about 2 hours without blinking!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 06:24:39 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"

Care to elaborate why you didn't like it?
Certainly, though it'll just be a copy/paste from the other thread about the game:

The problem with Tribes 3 is that I can't even see a good game peeking through, like it was with Tribes 2.  If you bought 2 on day one like I did, you could tell there just *might* be a good game there if it'd run over 5 frames per second.  It turns out that was the case--with the final patch applied, Tribes 2 is a different-but-still-satisfying experience in the Tribes series.

Tribes 3, on the other hand, works as advertised.  There's no ifs, ands, or buts about what the game is.  After spending several hours with the multiplayer beta, I can safely conclude the game's about as deep as an average bathroom sink.

Things Irrational dropped the ball on:

-Both the total weapon count and total pack count have been severly cut down.  (Totally unacceptable.  If the limited number of guns each had an alternate-fire mode, I'd be happy.  But they don't.  Plus the new rocket-launcher deal is total crap against, well, anything.)

-Failed, annoying attempt to make Medium armor more attractive.  (The Buckler sucks.  I was never killed by it, nor did I ever make a kill with it.  Additionally, you spawn in Medium.  Lights had their HP castrated, but that doesn't matter much, as a skilled, agile player in a Light will still school a Medium or a Heavy as long as the Light isn't caught off-guard.)

-There is only one kind of grenade.  (Sure, the heat/flares system in Tribes 2 was annoying and contrived, but there were good ideas in the other grenades--flashbangs should have stayed in, and I would have loved to see an EMP-like grenade since they removed the ELF).

-There's a wacko deployable system whereby a light can smuggle an auto-turrent into the enemy base since he can use an energy pack at the same time as carrying a deployable.  (This is nuts.  Irrational shouldn't have tried to 'fix' the Medium armor, they should have instead tooled the rules to fit what players have used Medium armor for all along: deployment/engineer jobs.  Medium armor should be the ONLY armor able to use deployables, though they can carry two at once. Another idea would be to give Mediums a bonus to repair speed when repairing base objects.)

-Jump jet juice is WAY reduced, leading to hasty, unelegant duels more reminiscent of UT2k4 or Half-Life DM than Tribes.  (This is a crying shame.  The armor 'feels' appropriately lighter or heavier now, but you don't have enough juice to do anything with.  Irrational could have kept the 'feel' of each armor--perhaps different acceleration/momentum rules for each suit--without ruining how much jump jet juice we get.)

-Skiing is totally borked.  (Hold down space and you activate your "skis," which basically means you slide on any terrain--flat, angled, whatever.  Fail to hold down space, though, and you stop dead, often taking damage.  As if having to scream "GO GO GADGET SKIS!" whenever you want to move around the map isn't bad enough, even the slightest bump will stop you dead or send you careening off in a totally different direction.  Great job, Irrational.)

-The melee weapon is now totally useless.  (Jesus, at least make it an insta-kill from behind, like in T2).

The best thing I can say about Tribes 3 is that it made me want to go back and play Tribes and Tribes 2 again.  Irrational didn't try to make a Tribes sequel, they tried to make "Baby's First Tribes," a UT2k4 jetpack mod that removed the elements of the first two games that seperated the new players from the experienced ones.  Now everyone's on the same playing field--the problem is, there's no room for anyone to improve.  If you've captured the flag at least once in your T:V career, chances are you're as good as you're going to get at the game--which is NOT the experience veteran players were looking for.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 09:23:06 PM »

Both the total weapon count and total pack count have been severly cut down. (Totally unacceptable. If the limited number of guns each had an alternate-fire mode, I'd be happy. But they don't. Plus the new rocket-launcher deal is total crap against, well, anything.)

IMO, there is nothing wrong with the weapons.  I don't remember there being a alt-fire in T1.  You have different weapons for different tasks.  That's just Tribes, what was this guy looking for?

Failed, annoying attempt to make Medium armor more attractive. (The Buckler sucks. I was never killed by it, nor did I ever make a kill with it. Additionally, you spawn in Medium. Lights had their HP castrated, but that doesn't matter much, as a skilled, agile player in a Light will still school a Medium or a Heavy as long as the Light isn't caught off-guard.)

Mediums are so much better now it's nuts.  They're faster, which is what I wanted to see.  So you can now duel with them better.  I see more Mediums now, than I ever did before.  The buckler is a shield and nothing more. Really, who would use it to attack?

-There is only one kind of grenade. (Sure, the heat/flares system in Tribes 2 was annoying and contrived, but there were good ideas in the other grenades--flashbangs should have stayed in, and I would have loved to see an EMP-like grenade since they removed the ELF).

Just like Tribes 1, just like it should be.  This isn't a sneaky game.  I don't want to blind you, I want to destroy the enemy base and troops.

There's a wacko deployable system whereby a light can smuggle an auto-turrent into the enemy base since he can use an energy pack at the same time as carrying a deployable. (This is nuts. Irrational shouldn't have tried to 'fix' the Medium armor, they should have instead tooled the rules to fit what players have used Medium armor for all along: deployment/engineer jobs. Medium armor should be the ONLY armor able to use deployables, though they can carry two at once. Another idea would be to give Mediums a bonus to repair speed when repairing base objects.)

I really like this change.  They made it so you don't have to get medium to deploy stuff and then go back and change your armor to play.

Jump jet juice is WAY reduced, leading to hasty, unelegant duels more reminiscent of UT2k4 or Half-Life DM than Tribes. (This is a crying shame. The armor 'feels' appropriately lighter or heavier now, but you don't have enough juice to do anything with. Irrational could have kept the 'feel' of each armor--perhaps different acceleration/momentum rules for each suit--without ruining how much jump jet juice we get.)

This person needs to learn how to fly and learn how to ski.  It takes some getting used to.  

Skiing is totally borked. (Hold down space and you activate your "skis," which basically means you slide on any terrain--flat, angled, whatever. Fail to hold down space, though, and you stop dead, often taking damage. As if having to scream "GO GO GADGET SKIS!" whenever you want to move around the map isn't bad enough, even the slightest bump will stop you dead or send you careening off in a totally different direction. Great job, Irrational.)

I remember when you had to get a script to ski, so this is a welcome addition.  It's how Tribes should be played.

The melee weapon is now totally useless. (Jesus, at least make it an insta-kill from behind, like in T2).

I never user melee weapons so I can't comment on this one.

Maybe it's just me, but all of the things they find wrong, I like.  biggrin
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 11:04:14 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"

This person needs to learn how to fly and learn how to ski.  It takes some getting used to.  

I remember when you had to get a script to ski, so this is a welcome addition.  It's how Tribes should be played.

Maybe it's just me, but all of the things they find wrong, I like.  biggrin

Ok, "this person" is me.  Those are all my comments.

First up, I've played Tribes and Tribes two for over 200 hours combined, if not more.  They are BY FAR the two games I've played the most in my time gaming, even beating out dreaded timesinks like MMORPGs.

That being said:

1.)  I know how to fly.
2.)  I know how to ski.

'Duels' feel sloppy--they're somewhere between the utter elegance of T1/T2 and the heart-pounding agility of UT2k4--a middleground which is, well, inferior to either of the other extremes.  Tribes 3 dueling feels more like wrestling... which is a sad loss for the series.

Secondly, since when is a script required to ski?!  I have never used a skiing script in my time playing T1 or T2--mainly because in those games, you WERE NOT required to hold down the "SKI" button to move around.  Skiing was a side-effect of parabolic landscapes and momentum without air resistance.  What's ridiculous in T3 is the fact you can be skiing, let go of the ski button while touching the ground, and come to a dead stop seconds later.  Like I said before, skiing in T3 is less a skill, talent, or script, but more a GO GO GADGET SKIS! issue, which is lame.

Finally, I'm glad you like it.  I wish I did.

Oh, and I forgot to mention... I hate the maps.  Give me Scarbarae-esque bases back.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 03:45:08 PM »

Thanks for the impressions Lord Ebonestone.  Sorry I missed the other thread.  For someone new like me, still sounds intriguing.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 05:21:33 PM »

IMO, there is nothing wrong with the weapons. I don't remember there being a alt-fire in T1. You have different weapons for different tasks. That's just Tribes, what was this guy looking for?

They removed the ELF.  They re-tooled the plasma into something retarded.  This game has the worst weapon selection of the three.

Mediums are so much better now it's nuts. They're faster, which is what I wanted to see. So you can now duel with them better. I see more Mediums now, than I ever did before. The buckler is a shield and nothing more. Really, who would use it to attack?

Medium armor in T:V is basically newbie armor.  The only people who use it are A: Newbies or B: people who can't get to an inventory station.  Ebonstone is right on this one.  Letting lights carry deployables + energy packs is just stupid, too.

Just like Tribes 1, just like it should be. This isn't a sneaky game. I don't want to blind you, I want to destroy the enemy base and troops.

Uh.  Removal of the ELF and flashbangs was not a good thing.  No cloaking pack?  No jamming pack?  These things made pub games actually fun -- they also deepened the gameplay.  Removing the ELF is just stupid.  How are you supposed to bust turrets and sensors without a mortar now?  The ELF was also clutch for good heavy players fighting off lights.

This person needs to learn how to fly and learn how to ski. It takes some getting used to.

I've been playing the Tribes series (competitively and not) since the original game was first released.  I know how to fly and I know how to ski.  The paltry amount of jet juice in T:V makes me feel like I'm ELFed.  I can get more airtime bunnyhopping in Q3.

I remember when you had to get a script to ski, so this is a welcome addition. It's how Tribes should be played

I never needed a script to ski.  I just needed a little thing called timing.

T:V might be good with heavy modding.  Otherwise, it's just another average FPS with a really low skill curve.

Val
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2004, 05:24:20 PM »

Oh, and I forgot to mention... I hate the maps. Give me Scarbarae-esque bases back.

Fuck that, I want Broadside.

I'd settle for Rollercoaster, though.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2004, 06:24:37 PM »

Quote from: "Valhuerdi"
Oh, and I forgot to mention... I hate the maps. Give me Scarbarae-esque bases back.

Fuck that, I want Broadside.

I'd settle for Rollercoaster, though.
Broadside would suck in T:V--unless you disc-jumped, you would never have enough jet juice to reach the other base!   :lol:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2004, 07:45:14 PM »

you can lump me in with the rest of the Jaded critics like LE.  This game is a hobbled newbie version of the original tribes.  Who ever came with tribes for carebears should be shot.  In any case, mabey this just goes to show that sometimes things are just right the way they are and should be left alone.

AttA
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2004, 08:23:25 PM »

Well met AttADude, good to see you again.

Anyone know if there are still servers running the original Tribes?  All this talk has gotten me hot and bothered to play it again...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2004, 03:24:31 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Broadside would suck in T:V--unless you disc-jumped, you would never have enough jet juice to reach the other base!   :lol:

This brings back fond memories of mortar jumping up to the broadside base in a heavy.  Usually I'd bring an inventory station with me, too.  smile
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2004, 02:36:02 PM »

Lord, Last time I looked there were more servers running Tribes 1 then 2 smile.  I'm up for some broadsiding whenever!  The step learning curve and complettley different play style possabilitys are what I loved about the orginal.  #2 Wasn't bad if you liked deployables smile.  One smart heavy could defend a whole base in #2.  Think I'll pass o nthis one as i'd rather not taint my memories.

morlac00 on PSN
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2004, 03:08:44 PM »

Keep your memories and your money morloc, its not like there is nothing to spend it on anyway.  If you are anything like me, you got about $300 worth of games to buy next month anyway.

By the way hello to you too LE.

AttA
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2004, 09:32:49 PM »

Well morlac, I'll chime in again and say that I like it.  I didn't really play T2, but I did play a lot of T1.  I am enjoying it, so you may like it too.  There is a MP demo available.  That's what got me to buy the game.  You should check it out.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2004, 10:38:04 PM »

Oh, absolutely play the demo, it might turn out you like it, who knows.

T:V was a no-brainer purchase for me until I played the demo.  I'm glad I did... to have wasted $50 on this carebear newb POS would have made me a very unhappy camper.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2004, 10:49:21 PM »

Im an old Tribes 1 & 2 veteran. I think Tribes 1 was way better than 2 and I have'nt tried this new one at all...but to me, from the ads and such, it looks like it wants to be UT2K4 and games like that. Id rather have the old T1 gameplay back.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2004, 11:49:21 PM »

Broadside would suck in T:V--unless you disc-jumped, you would never have enough jet juice to reach the other base!

Too true.  I still want to see someone release a Rollercoaster remake before I uninstall this 4.5gig abomination, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: