http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 10:39:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tribes Vengeance...err...anyone?  (Read 1867 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2004, 12:18:19 AM »

I really loved the first Tribes game and was kind of letdown with the 2nd game (due to all the bugs when it first came out).

Is this version of the game any good? I saw it at Best Buy on sale for $39.99 and picked it up...but I am not sure if I should open it or not.

Anyone play it yet and want to chime in on how it is??

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Grifman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 12:24:51 AM »

Not my cup of tea, but Irrational did it so it has a quality team behind it, heard it has a very good SP campaign, and that it has that Tribes feeling.  YMMV of course.

Grifman
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 12:38:39 AM »

this will go down as one of my favorite games this year (single and multi) and is one of the best shooters i have ever played. and i have played them all. in fact, this has the best story of ANY shooter i have ever played. so damn good.

people saying it is just a UTK24 mod are dumb. using that arguement any game that uses any other games engine is just a mod. that's a crap way of thinking.

oh, and i was a huge tribes 1 fan. i played for a long time. i liked part 2, but it was a letdown compared to the original. i will say some of the new maps are too small for my tastes, but this game is tribes through and through.

in the end, even if you didnt like the multiplayer demo or hated the weak arena level they used for the single player demo, the full single player campaign is just awesome. it's NOT just arena battles like some people were thinking after the demo.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 01:03:11 AM »

Ok, I just fired up the game and played around a bit and OH MY GOD. The Tribes that I loved is BACK! This game rocks! The graphics and sound are nothing short of amazing. The game plays just like I remember the old Tribes 1.

The game just reeks of quality. It was a total impluse buy, having never played the single or multiplayer demo at all. I love it when these impluse buys turn out to be great suprise games! I never would have picked it up if Best Buy hadn't had it on sale.

Thanks Best Buy! smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 02:07:53 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
The game just reeks of quality. It was a total impluse buy, having never played the single or multiplayer demo at all. I love it when these impluse buys turn out to be great suprise games! I never would have picked it up if Best Buy hadn't had it on sale.

Thanks Best Buy! smile

Well, crap.  I was just holding this game in my hands at Best Buy.  The negative comments I read made me put it down.  Now I wish I would have just gone for it... Dammit!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 02:13:33 AM »

IMO, Irrational would have to pay me $40 to play it.

They ruined Tribes.  It plays like an amatuer jetpack mod for UT2k4.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 04:24:34 PM »

I posted this in the other Tribes thread (ignore my Heavy Gear ramblings in the end smile ):

I never played the first 2 Tribes, so I’m experiencing Tribes:V for what it is and not what it ought to be. The single player campaign is solid, and is actually a lot of fun. It’s not like UT in that the SP just links a bunch of the MP game modes together in a tournament format. The SP game is a legitimate story with some very fun (and long) missions. Every few missions you’ll switch sides to another character to play out the story from their perspective, which is pretty darn cool for a FPS. Many of the MP aspects are worked into the SP campaign, but they’re done in a gradual way so that you can get used to using jetpacks, skiing, using the wench, arena play, driving and piloting the vehicles, taking down bases, killing vehicles, and the differences between the armor types and weapons. I’d recommend Tribes:V just on the SP campaign alone.

I really enjoyed both of the Heavy Gear games, and prefer the meched up heavy infantry feel to the mech warrior, large vehicle feel. Tribes:V has a somewhat similar feel depending on the armor types you choose, although the weapons are definitely shorter range and more geared to anti-infantry. Either way, I get that same feeling running around with a heavy armor suit and a speed pack lobbing mortars at baddies that I did in the HG games…which = fun for me. I’m not sure how the previous Tribes games stack up against this one, but for what it is, the game has been fun for me.

It did make me realize however that I would really love to see a new game in the HG universe. I don’t think the HG games sold well compared to the Mech Warrior titles, which is a shame because they were a different take on the whole giant robot mech genre.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 05:17:11 PM »

LOL I have yet to read a Tribes:vengence post anywhere without somone saying its a lame UT mod with jet packs.  Thanks to the ones that actully gave impressions.  It seems to be getting pretty good reviews as well, think I might pick it up.

morlac00 on PSN
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 05:39:30 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"
LOL I have yet to read a Tribes:vengence post anywhere without somone saying its a lame UT mod with jet packs.

Now, I might be going out on a limb by saying this, but maybe, just maybe you're seeing such a consensus in that complaint because it's a valid, obvious argument?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 06:20:03 PM »

...or it could be that he's only frequenting forums with rabid tribes 2 fans that wouldn't have been pleased even if Carmen Electra had come over to their house in a thong and hand fed them grapes while they played.

I'm still out on a limb with this one.  I'm more bothered by the lack of bots.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 07:25:10 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
...or it could be that he's only frequenting forums with rabid tribes 2 fans that wouldn't have been pleased even if Carmen Electra had come over to their house in a thong and hand fed them grapes while they played.
Whoa now.  I wasn't a rabid Tribes 2 fan at all.  I thought it was an initially awful, buggy, unbalanced game that eventually developed into a solid experience.  I'm a fan of the first Tribes, which I consider to be the best multiplayer first-person shooter experience availible on the PC to date.

The problem with Tribes 3 is that I can't even see a good game peeking through, like it was with Tribes 2.  If you bought 2 on day one like I did, you could tell there just *might* be a good game there if it'd run over 5 frames per second.  It turns out that was the case--with the final patch applied, Tribes 2 is a different-but-still-satisfying experience in the Tribes series.

Tribes 3, on the other hand, works as advertised.  There's no ifs, ands, or buts about what the game is.  After spending several hours with the multiplayer beta, I can safely conclude the game's about as deep as an average bathroom sink.

Things Irrational dropped the ball on:

-Both the total weapon count and total pack count have been severly cut down.  (Totally unacceptable.  If the limited number of guns each had an alternate-fire mode, I'd be happy.  But they don't.  Plus the new rocket-launcher deal is total crap against, well, anything.)

-Failed, annoying attempt to make Medium armor more attractive.  (The Buckler sucks.  I was never killed by it, nor did I ever make a kill with it.  Additionally, you spawn in Medium.  Lights had their HP castrated, but that doesn't matter much, as a skilled, agile player in a Light will still school a Medium or a Heavy as long as the Light isn't caught off-guard.)

-There is only one kind of grenade.  (Sure, the heat/flares system in Tribes 2 was annoying and contrived, but there were good ideas in the other grenades--flashbangs should have stayed in, and I would have loved to see an EMP-like grenade since they removed the ELF).

-There's a wacko deployable system whereby a light can smuggle an auto-turrent into the enemy base since he can use an energy pack at the same time as carrying a deployable.  (This is nuts.  Irrational shouldn't have tried to 'fix' the Medium armor, they should have instead tooled the rules to fit what players have used Medium armor for all along: deployment/engineer jobs.  Medium armor should be the ONLY armor able to use deployables, though they can carry two at once. Another idea would be to give Mediums a bonus to repair speed when repairing base objects.)

-Jump jet juice is WAY reduced, leading to hasty, unelegant duels more reminiscent of UT2k4 or Half-Life DM than Tribes.  (This is a crying shame.  The armor 'feels' appropriately lighter or heavier now, but you don't have enough juice to do anything with.  Irrational could have kept the 'feel' of each armor--perhaps different acceleration/momentum rules for each suit--without ruining how much jump jet juice we get.)

-Skiing is totally borked.  (Hold down space and you activate your "skis," which basically means you slide on any terrain--flat, angled, whatever.  Fail to hold down space, though, and you stop dead, often taking damage.  As if having to scream "GO GO GADGET SKIS!" whenever you want to move around the map isn't bad enough, even the slightest bump will stop you dead or send you careening off in a totally different direction.  Great job, Irrational.)

-The melee weapon is now totally useless.  (Jesus, at least make it an insta-kill from behind, like in T2).

The best thing I can say about Tribes 3 is that it made me want to go back and play Tribes and Tribes 2 again.  Irrational didn't try to make a Tribes sequel, they tried to make "Baby's First Tribes," a UT2k4 jetpack mod that removed the elements of the first two games that seperated the new players from the experienced ones.  Now everyone's on the same playing field--the problem is, there's no room for anyone to improve.  If you've captured the flag at least once in your T:V career, chances are you're as good as you're going to get at the game--which is NOT the experience veteran players were looking for.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: