http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 04:59:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trauma Center is the hardest game I've ever played  (Read 1743 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2006, 05:08:04 PM »

I just got to the end of Chapter 5 on Trauma Center, and every time I finish an operation I'm afraid to see what they're going to throw at me next. I played it for two hours yesterday and by the end my hand was cramping so badly that I had to stop. Fun game, but I'm not sure I'm going to make it to the end.

Usually I'll spend days trying to figure out a section of a game before throwing in the towel and going to gamefaqs to look for tips. Not with this one. If I can't figure out an operation after two or three tries, I'll head straight to a FAQ. Even after finding out the optimal way to complete the operation, it can still take me eight or nine tries before I can beat it.

Ninja Gaiden, Jak II, God of War, Viewtiful Joe... they're easy compared to Trauma Center.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 06:18:45 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Ninja Gaiden, Jak II, God of War, Viewtiful Joe... they're easy compared to Trauma Center.

No way. Especially against comparing it to the likes of Ninja Gaiden.

So, why is it so difficult then? I don't own the game, so I'm curious.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 06:27:41 PM »

It's difficult but not impossible. I haven't had to go to a hint system yet. The biggest issue I've had was with the sewing. It's difficult to find the right spots so one thing I'll do now that works often is just zigzag like crazy over the wound and I'll usually get a "OK" or "COOL" message.

Another thing to keep in mind is sometimes you need to zoom out and then back in to tackle some of the surgery areas. I notice when the areas I need to adress are at the top of the screen or bottom I have a difficult time getting the game to pick up my stylus. In those cases I use the zoom to look at a specific wound.

Another big help I found is to use the need to inject the "green stuff" in to the patient which will raise their heart rate.

You'll eventually get the "healing touch" which will help with things too.

It's still a difficult game but I like that it is since surgery isn't supposed to be easy.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 07:04:34 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

No way. Especially against comparing it to the likes of Ninja Gaiden.

So, why is it so difficult then? I don't own the game, so I'm curious.

The difficulty comes from having to do 50 intricate movements all at once at crazy-fast speeds...and then upon succeeding you trigger something else to pop open that's twice as difficult to fix.

This game would be so wonderful (for me) if you could unlock an "Another Day at the Office" mode, which rarely has the crazy-hard, the world will be destroyed surgeries, but mostly has an assortment of randomly generated ordinary patients for you to diagnose and treat.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 07:33:02 PM »

Quote from: "Crawley"
It's difficult but not impossible. I haven't had to go to a hint system yet. The biggest issue I've had was with the sewing. It's difficult to find the right spots so one thing I'll do now that works often is just zigzag like crazy over the wound and I'll usually get a "OK" or "COOL" message.

Crawley, I appreciate the tips but it sounds like I'm a lot further in the game than you. I just started Chapter 6 and in the last surgery I performed I had to suture up eight open wounds while keeping the patient's vitals up while simultaneously lasering, scalpeling, and injecting a fast bug scuttling across the screen which opens three more wounds at regular intervals and releases smaller bugs that if I don't laser fast enough they come in to contact with each other and form a super bug which drops the patient's vitals by half. And that's just the first two minutes of a ten minute multi-part operation. Plus, I can't use the healing touch because I have to use it at the exact right time at the end of the operation or I automatically fail.

For Destructor, some of the things that make this more difficult than Ninja Gaiden are the puzzle nature of some of the operations, where you may have to replay the operation a few times just to get a handle on what needs to be done. And second is quite simply the difficulty curve. The game requires you to do so much so fast that it's easy to make a mistake that will send you into a tailspin that you can't recover from.

Seriously, playing Ninja Gaiden I always knew that I'd be able to get beyond a section eventually by better understanding the bosses' and enemies patterns. In other words, once I figured out strategy I could beat it. With Trauma Center, there have been times where I've looked up the best strategies and even knowing what they are, it takes an enormous amount of practice just to become barely fast enough to beat it.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 07:38:44 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
The difficulty comes from having to do 50 intricate movements all at once at crazy-fast speeds...and then upon succeeding you trigger something else to pop open that's twice as difficult to fix.

tell it! never played ninja gaiden, but when you combine the frantic action, need for precision, & the relatively tiny ds screen, you're talking seriously challenging gameplay (never made it to chapter 3 myself, much as i enjoyed it - really need to go back)...

This game would be so wonderful (for me) if you could unlock an "Another Day at the Office" mode, which rarely has the crazy-hard, the world will be destroyed surgeries, but mostly has an assortment of randomly generated ordinary patients for you to diagnose and treat.

i'd like to think the wii sequel will be a bit more user-friendly, if not exactly along the lines you suggest (which i would've liked as well)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 07:42:32 PM »

I just started Chapter 6 and in the last surgery I performed I had to suture up eight open wounds while keeping the patient's vitals up while simultaneously lasering, scalpeling, and injecting a fast bug scuttling across the screen which opens three more wounds at regular intervals and releases smaller bugs that if I don't laser fast enough they come in to contact with each other and form a super bug which drops the patient's vitals by half. And that's just the first two minutes of a ten minute multi-part operation. Plus, I can't use the healing touch because I have to use it at the exact right time at the end of the operation or I automatically fail.

classic! (maybe i'm not so interested in going back after all smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 09:20:21 PM »

I just started Chapter 6 and in the last surgery I performed I had to suture up eight open wounds while keeping the patient's vitals up while simultaneously lasering, scalpeling, and injecting a fast bug scuttling across the screen which opens three more wounds at regular intervals and releases smaller bugs that if I don't laser fast enough they come in to contact with each other and form a super bug which drops the patient's vitals by half. And that's just the first two minutes of a ten minute multi-part operation. Plus, I can't use the healing touch because I have to use it at the exact right time at the end of the operation or I automatically fail.

Oh it gets harder.  Wait until you have to do that several times in a row.  I put down the game there.  Definitely harder than Ninja Gaiden for me.  I finished that game.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 09:27:08 PM »

ET on Atari was the hardest game for me.

I couldn't get past the second screen.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 01:05:53 AM »

The hardest part of the game for me is finding a copy.  biggrin  I've looked all over. I read somewhere it may be getting a reprint this month but who knows.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 01:17:47 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
ET on Atari was the hardest game for me.

I couldn't get past the second screen.

Tass Times in Tone Town for me.  If you blinked the wrong way you would die a horrible death.  So just don't blink?  Horrible death as well.

I was only 6 or so at the time, maybe I should go back and beat it now that I'm a more experienced gamer.  Ah, what sweet revenge that would be.
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 02:16:14 AM »

Is there actually a harder game than the original "Ghosts and Goblins"?  I think not.

Strangely, once I figured out what the heck to do in both ET and Indiana Jones, they were pretty much my favorite games on the Atari.  I must have finished them at least a hundred times.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 02:50:19 PM »

Just imagine what the Wii version of Trauma Center will be like!  That could easily be the first game that will drive me to hurl my Wii remote into a wall.

Though it'll be a damn fun game up to that point. :)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 03:03:53 PM »

This is one of those DS games I sorta want and get to the point where I almost buy it and then I read about the difficulty level.  That just doesn't sound like much fun.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 05:19:03 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
This is one of those DS games I sorta want and get to the point where I almost buy it and then I read about the difficulty level.  That just doesn't sound like much fun.

There's a lot of fun to be had before it turns Ninja Gaiden.  I'd definitely recommend grabbing it if you see it for a good price, or renting it.
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 09:08:30 PM »

Who would have though a game based on surgery would be hard  Tongue

BTW, anyone remember that Intellivision surgery game?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 10:54:30 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

There's a lot of fun to be had before it turns Ninja Gaiden.  I'd definitely recommend grabbing it if you see it for a good price, or renting it.

agreed - nasty as it is, it's as much a 'must experience' title as anything that's out for the ds. as i've said elsewhere, it's incorporation of the touchscreen is second to none (plus, the story's pretty entertaining, & the graphics & music are just right)...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: