http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 07:15:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transistor (Super Giant Games Bastion)  (Read 1693 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »

ah.  good to know. 

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2014, 04:28:12 PM »

I finished my play through last night.  I enjoyed it but I honestly think I preferred Bastion.  The method of storytelling in Transistor was much more reserved and I never found it as compelling.  Also, there were a couple instances in the late game, where, because of the art style, I had a hard time figuring out where I could and could not walk.  Still a really good game though.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »

I'm almost done with my first playthrough as well and agree with you about storytelling.  Bastion was improved by having a focused narrator and while Transistor's VO cast did a great job, it's fractured.  Also, you are expected to read all of the text they put in the function's and limiter's descriptions after unlocking them.  I've done that but haven't read more than a few as it doesn't flesh out current events.  You can also skip the terminals, which is where a lot more of the current story is told, especially later on. 

TBH, the story is a bit of a mess and if you asked me about it in a year or so, I doubt I would be able to tell you what happened or why. 

I find that I either love the trials or dread/despise them.  The speed trials are a huge PITA in particular as you are often set against enemies who are poor matches against the powers they give you.  I had to attempt #2 for a half hour before getting it, although I got close about half of that.  The 3rd one isn't much better but I haven't practiced with the set of powers they pick. 

The game's difficulty is hugely influenced by what functions you pick and I recommend getting Switch() as soon as it's available.  That one alone turned the last 4th of the game into a cakewalk. 

Love the style, the music, and the voice cast.  Also, the little details that come through at times is great.  Try humming when the transistor is affected by an enemy. 

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2014, 06:30:26 PM »

Most of the trials are puzzles.  If you are having trouble with them its probably because you dont realize something specific about the combo of skills they are giving you.  Im not sure which one it was but one of the early tests gives you a skill that does more damage the further you are away from a target.  I had never encountered that skill before and couldnt fathom how to complete the trial.  Once I realized how it worked though, it was super easy.

Im terrible with the names of the functions but my favorite combo was the bounce shot augmented with the corruption and the starting ability.  It meant that my shots bounced to all targets, caused them to slowly decay and also stun locked them.  I combined it with cloak as a passive, which meant every time an enemy died I went invisible.  Most fights I could fire off a few shots and then just run away.  Not the most honorable tactic but really effective.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2014, 06:45:28 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 25, 2014, 06:30:26 PM

Im terrible with the names of the functions but my favorite combo was the bounce shot augmented with the corruption and the starting ability.  It meant that my shots bounced to all targets, caused them to slowly decay and also stun locked them.  I combined it with cloak as a passive, which meant every time an enemy died I went invisible.  Most fights I could fire off a few shots and then just run away.  Not the most honorable tactic but really effective.

Yeah, this is the cool thing I really like about this game.  Messing with combos to come up with interesting was to fight.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2014, 06:50:51 PM »

Finished this up last night and started over to clean up some more of the trophies within reach.  Sadly, one of them glitched.  Hate when that happens. 

The last fight was a bit of a pain as I didn't load up enough functions in the primary slots and lost the war of attrition.  Beat him soundly on the retry though and only lost one of mine.  The randomness of losing functions makes you spread out your attack choices.  I lost a test after losing my only means of direct attack.  All in all, a pretty good game and just long enough without overstaying it's welcome, but letting you continue on with a new game+ mode if you choose.  Were it not for the glitched trophy I ran into, I'd be going for the platinum on it. 

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 26, 2014, 06:50:51 PM

The randomness of losing functions makes you spread out your attack choices. 

I don't believe it's random.  I think you lose the primary that uses up the most memory.  I beat the game yesterday myself and really loved it.  I might even do a Recursion one day, but mostly I wanted to get it cleared out before Watch Dogs.  I bought the soundtrack off of iTunes as I really like Darren Korb's stuff (loved Bastion as well and own that soundtrack).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2014, 12:31:07 AM »

Got this during the Steam Summer Sale. Put two hours in to it and I have to say I'm not liking it. I really enjoyed Bastion but this one isn't doing much for me. The combat isn't that fun and I haven't a clue of what's going on in the story. And while I wasn't crazy on the art direction initially I'm less so now.

The one good thing is the cards for the game sell for a good amount.

I'll finish it up but was really hoping for better.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2014, 06:21:24 PM »

Two things.  This is on sale for the next 48 hours or so on Steam for $13.39

The Supergiant guys also posted an extended 80 minute addition to their soundtrack on Youtube. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57cOmxB12XI

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2014, 01:56:42 PM »

In case anyone hasn't bought this yet, it's on sale on the PSN for $13.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: