http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 02:28:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transistor (Super Giant Games Bastion)  (Read 1443 times)
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2013, 07:02:34 PM »

Cross posted with OO because I love Bastion.

Super Giant Games just announced their second game, Transistor

Trailer

Looks like they are going a bit more science fiction than fantasy this time around.  Gameplay is looks similar to bastion except maybe with a bit more planning involved. 

Bastion was my favorite game of 2011 so Im definitely excited for this one.  An early build is supposed to be playable at PAX East; anyone going who would like to report back impressions?   smile
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:10:29 PM »

Looks slick.  I'm intrigued. 

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 01:07:15 AM »

Shut up and take my money!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:20:35 AM »

Love that trailer. These guys know how to do things with style. The gameplay... didn't really excite me, I'm afraid to say, but hopefully it's just not coming across well.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:23:46 AM »

According to the previews from PAX, the game will play quite differently than Bastion.  The battle system looks more like a Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age real-time pausable system than an action-RPG.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 11:23:42 AM »

Ah, good. Really wasn't into the action oriented gameplay of Bastion. Good game, but not my taste.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »

I'll wait and see on this one.  the trailer didn't quite grab me like Bastion did.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 24, 2013, 02:36:02 PM

I'll wait and see on this one.  the trailer didn't quite grab me like Bastion did.

The kid took one look at the trailer and just walked away. Then he just wailed on some boxes for a bit.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »

Total Biscuit did a video on this yesterday.  You can see the tactical combat engine in action as well as hear the glorious return of the narrator! 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 04:05:23 PM »

Out on May 20 on PC and PS4 for $19.99/18.99 / 14.99 in Europe

Looking forward to this

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:07:29 PM by Caine » Logged

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 04:11:10 PM »

Nice! I wasn't expecting this to be out till fall.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 02:36:31 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on April 10, 2014, 04:11:10 PM

Nice! I wasn't expecting this to be out till fall.

Same here. I'm more excited for the soundtrack than any other part of the game.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 05:24:59 PM »

Launch trailer

slick as hell.  In day one.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 16, 2014, 05:24:59 PM

Launch trailer

slick as hell.  In day one.

Wow, very cool.  The earlier trailers didn't really do it for me, but that one just oozes style. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »

Where are the reviews for this game? It launches today, no?

Sean Lama
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 04:47:08 PM »

Kotaku has one out now

http://kotaku.com/transistor-the-kotaku-review-1579004336

short version:  Yes, buy this.  complex fight system that evolves the more you play it and original gameplay. 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 05:20:09 PM »

listening to the soundtrack now.  very nice music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx0d7rSabFY

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 05:40:29 PM »

TotalBuiscuit's first impressions are downright glowing.

I have my copy downloading right now.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 20, 2014, 04:27:28 PM

Where are the reviews for this game? It launches today, no?

Ars Technica seems to like it a lot

Transistor review: The coolest game at the party

So does Gametrailers

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 07:36:07 PM »

I played just 15 minutes or so, and my first impressions are off the chart positive.  The combat looks quite deep and cerebral, and there look to be countless ways to customize your abilities and combat style.  Oh, and of course the game really does just ooze style.  The setting, characters, narration, art, and music are all fantastic so far.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 10:24:18 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 20, 2014, 05:20:09 PM

listening to the soundtrack now.  very nice music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx0d7rSabFY

Thanks for that!

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 10:24:57 PM »

I'm planning to download it on my PS4 tonight! And Wolfenstein...  icon_eek

Sean Lama
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 12:07:06 AM »

Who keeps complaining that the PS4 needs games? I already have a freaking backlog. The Show, Child of Light, and now Transistor and Wolfenstein, since both are getting good reviews.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 12:31:42 AM »

My early impressions are that the game is beautiful and a joy to play.  As much as I enjoyed Bastion I can see this surpassing it.  The world is compelling, well developed and the combat system is deep and requires careful planning to fully utilize.  On top of that, the level of flexibility in the combat engine is impressive.  Each “skill” you have can be socketed with (up to two) of any other skill you have.  This means you combine your “slash” with your “stealth” skill to make your back stabs do additional damage.  Or combine “convert enemy” with “stealth” to make a skill that converts nearby enemies to your side whenever you go invisible.

All of this is great and yet I am compelled to hold off playing it right now because of numerous performance issues.  I’ve already looked on the forums and it seems like a lot of people are having issues so it’s not limited to me.

The first thing I noticed was that the game doesn’t offer true support for my native monitor resolution (1920x1200).  There are options for 16x10 monitors but they simply put black bars on the top and bottom of your screen.  I wouldn’t consider this a deal breaker by any means but it is disappointing.

Every 5-10 minutes everything in the game freezes for 2-3 seconds and you have to wait for it to catch up.  While annoying on its own, this has resulted in a couple close fights for me.

Finally, the worst problem I’m encountering is that anytime the game enters a cut scene I’m stuck with a black screen and audio only.  If I cycle my windows with Alt-Tab I can occasionally get it to fix itself but I have to go this every time.

The developers have been very active on the forums and are responding to people almost instantly if they have problems , which gives me hope that they will push out a quick day 1-2 patch. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 02:48:05 PM »

Playing on PS4.  Love the game so far and I think the devs recommendation that you play through before listening to the soundtrack is good.  The way the music is played isn't just one track per area like you would expect. 

As for the gameplay, it's a great setup with how your powers are configured.  Every time I get a new one, I try out the combinations and see what happens.  I tried the load() with another and got a bomb, but against the bigger enemies, it's not as effective when they move around.  The game has a real risk/reward in how you lose a random power when your health drains.  I had a much tougher time after losing one in particular.  It's going to be a bit of fun figuring out which powers work best and are good on the cost/damage scale. 

Voicework is great, as are music and graphics. 

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 21, 2014, 12:07:06 AM

Who keeps complaining that the PS4 needs games? I already have a freaking backlog. The Show, Child of Light, and now Transistor and Wolfenstein, since both are getting good reviews.

I seriously don't get it either. It's like people don't remember other launch windows...
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 04:03:10 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on May 21, 2014, 03:21:29 PM

I seriously don't get it either. It's like people don't remember other launch windows...
Those are multiplatform games.  People who complain about the lack of games are usually people who already have a powerful PC and have no reason to buy either console right now.  As a predominantly PC gamer I see no reason to buy a PS4 now, or unless e3 amazes, anytime in the near future.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 21, 2014, 04:03:10 PM

Those are multiplatform games.  People who complain about the lack of games are usually people who already have a powerful PC and have no reason to buy either console right now.  As a predominantly PC gamer I see no reason to buy a PS4 now, or unless e3 amazes, anytime in the near future.
That sentiment holds up regardless of which machine you own. If you own an XB1, why buy a PS4 or PC? If you own a PS4, why bother with a PC or XB1? I think it's a good problem to have... the fact that there's not much of a content delta between each platform.

Of course, that all goes out the window if your primary focus is F2P or obscure indie titles. Then you should probably stick to a low/mid spec PC.

Sean Lama
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »

What does the PS4 controller speaker do in this game?  Ben Kuchera mentioned it was a great part of the experience, but I'm on the PC version so I don't know what I'm missing.

Also, don't overlook that you can use the bumper buttons to do a neat flourish or hum along to the music.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 04:40:45 PM »

I'll try it out.  Was playing with headphones plugged in. 

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 21, 2014, 04:03:10 PM

Bingo!

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 05:00:15 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 21, 2014, 04:19:18 PM

That sentiment holds up regardless of which machine you own. If you own an XB1, why buy a PS4 or PC? If you own a PS4, why bother with a PC or XB1? I think it's a good problem to have... the fact that there's not much of a content delta between each platform.

Of course, that all goes out the window if your primary focus is F2P or obscure indie titles. Then you should probably stick to a low/mid spec PC.
One console is roughly as good as the other but PC games offer better graphics, performance, customization and are cheaper 99% of the time.  That said, I do miss the days of good console exclusives.  It made things much more interesting and helped drive the industry.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 05:01:34 PM »

Now back on topic, Transistor received a 400mb patch this morning.  Anyone know what it does?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 06:03:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 21, 2014, 04:27:41 PM

What does the PS4 controller speaker do in this game?  Ben Kuchera mentioned it was a great part of the experience, but I'm on the PC version so I don't know what I'm missing.

Also, don't overlook that you can use the bumper buttons to do a neat flourish or hum along to the music.

I turned it on last night (it is off by default) and it just has the voice of the sword come through the controller to match the flashing of the light bar.  I think I'll leave it on the controller as I like the effect.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 06:04:54 PM »

Wonder why that's off by default.  Sounds like a neat feature.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2014, 11:29:33 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 21, 2014, 05:00:15 PM

Quote from: Ridah on May 21, 2014, 04:19:18 PM

One console is roughly as good as the other but PC games offer better graphics, performance, customization and are cheaper 99% of the time.  That said, I do miss the days of good console exclusives.  It made things much more interesting and helped drive the industry.

That's assuming every PC owner has a PC that's powerful enough to output better graphics than a PS4 or XB1 version. I would look somewhere between the minimum and recommended specs of a Valve game, because they unquestionably have more user hardware data than any other game company, and assume that's the range most PC gamers exist in. Going off that, I would say that for most people the PS4 and XB1 offer comparable if not better graphics than what their PC can produce.

I agree, though. It was fun debating Mario Vs. Sonic, Final Fantasy Vs. Zelda, etc.

Sean Lama
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, 02:35:14 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 21, 2014, 06:03:03 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 21, 2014, 04:27:41 PM

What does the PS4 controller speaker do in this game?  Ben Kuchera mentioned it was a great part of the experience, but I'm on the PC version so I don't know what I'm missing.

I turned it on last night (it is off by default) and it just has the voice of the sword come through the controller to match the flashing of the light bar.  I think I'll leave it on the controller as I like the effect.

Quote from: wonderpug on May 21, 2014, 06:04:54 PM

Wonder why that's off by default.  Sounds like a neat feature.

The only reason I can think of is in case people turned the speaker volume down on the controller before playing the game.  It's definitely a cooler way to play.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »

Definitely makes a difference, thanks for posting the controller speaker info... I missed that in the options.  thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 02:33:28 PM »

I've unlocked a few more powers and wonder, from anyone who's progressed further along, do you get more than 16mem?  I'm assuming you do as it would be pretty much impossible to max out upgrades for all four abilities.  I've got just about to the second named boss and unlocked Mask() and upgraded with Crash(), which combos greatly with the ranged attack.  It does a big chunk of backstab damage

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2014, 04:32:26 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 22, 2014, 02:33:28 PM

I've unlocked a few more powers and wonder, from anyone who's progressed further along, do you get more than 16mem?  I'm assuming you do as it would be pretty much impossible to max out upgrades for all four abilities.  I've got just about to the second named boss and unlocked Mask() and upgraded with Crash(), which combos greatly with the ranged attack.  It does a big chunk of backstab damage
It seems you can choose a memory upgrade occasionally when you level up.  I was given the option once to choose between a second passive slot or a +4 memory upgrade.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: