http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 11:37:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Train that brain! (Brain Age Impressions)  (Read 1951 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2006, 08:37:26 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised to see this in today at my local GameStop.  Haven't fired it up yet, but holy smokes, what a meaty instruction booklet.

The initial buzz is that it's super addictive as hell to play.  And with the addition of sudoku, it's kind of a no-brainer (teehee) to pick it up.

Can't wait to see how old my brain is...

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 09:08:05 PM »

Okay wow, so it gives you a test to start out with giving you your brain's age...the best is a 20-year old brain.  The first test I got, I received 70.

Yikes.

One problem was that the way I said "blue" wasn't registering.  So, I took the training deal again with this in mind and made sure to make my "bluuee" sound more like, "blue", and after a couple more exercises I had a 30 year old brain.  Awesome biggrin

I'm really surprised at how well the number recognition works.  I tend to write incredibly sloppy, and it's been registering my numbers about 95% of the time the way I want it to register.

Off to sudoku!

TheMissingLink on PSN
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 09:09:53 PM »

Me so in.

Not out around here today. I'm hoping I can pick it up tomorrow. I just want it for the Sudoku, everything else will be a bonus.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 09:22:38 PM »

Sudoku makes my brain hurt so bad.  Plus I'm horrible at it biggrin

But for the sudoku-lovers, this game is a god-send.  The number recognition is fantastic, the interface is easy to work with, I find the DS more comfortable to hold on it's side than normally, and you can write up to 8-number "notes" in each box.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 11:25:34 PM »

I got the automated call yesterday saying it would be in today, I am going to head out now and see if I can pick up my copy. I am psyched for sudoku.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 12:13:41 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Okay wow, so it gives you a test to start out with giving you your brain's age...the best is a 20-year old brain.  The first test I got, I received 70.

Yikes.

One problem was that the way I said "blue" wasn't registering.  So, I took the training deal again with this in mind and made sure to make my "bluuee" sound more like, "blue", and after a couple more exercises I had a 30 year old brain.  Awesome biggrin

I'm really surprised at how well the number recognition works.  I tend to write incredibly sloppy, and it's been registering my numbers about 95% of the time the way I want it to register.

Off to sudoku!

I didn't think I did that bad, but my brain age was 80.   :shock:
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 01:12:48 AM »

well it doesn't recognize my "blue" so well either, but I was rated at 71

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 02:15:28 AM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 03:41:30 AM »

After struggling with the first real sudoku board, I completed it, and perfected the second really, really quickly, only to run into a real roadblock that is the third.  

I seriously love holding the DS sideways.  In some ways, it feels more natural this way biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 03:48:26 AM »

Loving it.  Quirky fun!  The manual for this "budget" game is in color AND informative!  Mmmmyes!  And Sudoku rocks.

But very cool!  Awesome price too!

Forgot to mention - I <3 how you're able to write those "notes" in every individual box for Sudoku.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 04:15:12 AM »

Picked it up today on the way home and had some fun with it.  My brain age was in the 40s somewhere...46, I think.  I like how they don't give you all the mini-games right up front.  Going to be cool to graph this stuff over time and see how I progress.

I also have trouble with the game recognizing my Blues.  Also, I had a hard time writing G in the game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 04:41:23 AM »

Eh, I have no interest in this game.  Maybe when I'm out of school I'll feel more like thinking outside of class!  Plus, I can download plenty of sudoku puzzles for free.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 12:05:44 PM »

I did stumble across this last night and picked it up. I think my first BA test was bugged as it was only 1 test, and it's supposed to be 3. Anyway, got something in the 50's the first time, and 34 this morning. (Crap I am 33.) On one practise last night I got 24, so hopefully 20 will not be beyond me. The voice recognition and stylus writing is very well done, though you'll still get a little miffed when it messes up. The one thing I don't like is when it randomly makes you draw 3 pictures. You can basically skip them, but still...

Sudoku is awesome. By far the best electronic way to play Sudoku that I have encountered. I wish there were more than "over a 100" puzzles, but it will still take me a while to play them all.... I also wish all difficulty levels of Sudoku were unlocked from the start. Beginner is easy to the point of not even being fun, and Intermediate is a little easier than I would like as well, but I haven't unlocked higer difficulties yet, so I am stuck playing through them until the next level opens up.

I see me tiring of the Brain Age stuff quickly, but Sudoku should last me a long time, and at $20... A no brainer if you're interested.

-John

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 12:24:30 PM »

I messed around with the demo for this yesterday (from the download station at Gamestop).

You guys like the whole "click to enlarge the square" bit for the sudoku, eh?
It seemed a tad bit cumbersome to me, but I haven't really tried any other method to play it electronically without a keyboard. The handwriting recognition seems good and I like the way you can make notes on possible choices for a square. The one thing I had to really pay attention to was not writing my numbers too small.

I really like that if you make a mistake it tells you so, rather than getting all the way to the end of a puzzle and realizing you screwed up.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 12:24:41 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"
I think my first BA test was bugged as it was only 1 test, and it's supposed to be 3.

My first test, part of the intro, was also only 1 test.  I think that's just the way it is, although I saw that when you did the test again yourself, it gave you three.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 06:27:21 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Eh, I have no interest in this game.  Maybe when I'm out of school I'll feel more like thinking outside of class!  Plus, I can download plenty of sudoku puzzles for free.

But can you play them while riding public transportation an hour a day?  That's the real question!  I can now, mwahaha!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 02:49:02 AM »

I'm slowly turning against this game. First, it doesn't understand "BLUE" and now, even worse, doesn't understand my writing. 17 times for it to finally pick up "TICK"

Sudoku is still fun!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 03:13:00 AM »

I just say blue a different way now - sort of going downward in saying it . . . if that makes any sense.  Brain Age has no problem picking it up.

Writing is the same way.  Just started writing "4"s different due to it not picking it up very well and now it picks up every 4 I write.

That memorization test is goddamn HARD!

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 03:27:50 AM »

Add me to the list of folks who are enjoying this game... although you can also add me to the list of people who apparently can't pronounce 'blue' smile

My first brain age test when I got the game ended up at 52, mostly due to not understanding the test - but thankfully I took it again today and I'm up to 28.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 08:07:04 AM »

I haven't had a problem with it not recognizing "blue" yet.  I must not have said "yellow" clearly in the beginning though.  It resulted in my brain age of 53.  

Quote from: "depward"
That memorization test is goddamn HARD!

That one's kicking my butt.  I have a hard time remembering once it gets past six numbers.

The Sudoku is really great.  I would play it occasionally in the daily paper (unsuccessfully), but I hated erasing the numbers.  The touch screen makes Sudoku much more fun.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 02:21:41 PM »

It had trouble understanding my pronounciation of "blue" also. But it stopped being a problem when I moved the DS a bit further away from my face. The game also couldn't read my "4"'s until I finally changed the way I write it.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 02:33:23 PM »

If that guy is so smart, he should be able to figure out how we speak and write!

I'll make no accommodations for Professor Kawashima!!

:wink:

ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 02:41:01 PM »

The thing about writing is that I found that the bottom line is very important. Make sure your y's, j's, p's etc. drop under the cell. It recognizes it much better that way. Gotta dot the i's as well.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 02:52:30 PM »

Count me in the group having problems with "Blue". Grrrrr

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 02:56:07 PM »

I had trouble with Blue first -- then I held the DS further away and it was fine.  

It helps to think about what makes "Blue" sound different from "Black."  That is to say that if you blurt out either really quickly, you'll hear "BLue" or "BLack."  That's where the difficulty comes in.  Try emphasizing the UE part of blUE and it will pick it up better.

xbox live: nude rick james
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2006, 03:25:08 PM »

Link for those who aren't familiar.

People keep mentioning speaking "blue".  Can you play this without having to speak?  Are there mainly written puzzles?  I typically use my DS flights and don't want to sit there talking to my DS. Tongue  (Although it could be a good conversation starter)  Are there lots of different puzzle types?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2006, 03:26:47 PM »

Quote from: "Austin"
Link for those who aren't familiar.

People keep mentioning speaking "blue".  Can you play this without having to speak?  Are there mainly written puzzles?  I typically use my DS flights and don't want to sit there talking to my DS. Tongue  (Although it could be a good conversation starter)  Are there lots of different puzzle types?

You can. Before the speaking section begins, the game will ask you if you are in a place where you can talk outloud. I assume that if you say no, the game will present only writing excercises.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2006, 04:07:18 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
I assume that if you say no, the game will present only writing excercises.

This is true.  My last two Brain Age tests I did this for because I didn't want to do the speaking part.  It only gave me written tests.

ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2006, 07:06:47 PM »

I almost had to prounce blue like "ba-loo" for it to pass.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2006, 08:37:49 PM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
I almost had to prounce blue like "ba-loo" for it to pass.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2006, 09:50:14 PM »

Dr. Kawashima had a problem with the way I pronounced "red" today...but it didn't stop me from lowering my brain age down to 29 boooooyes!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »

My brain must need more work...

I can't figure out what the deal is with the tutorial Sudokus.  It says to fill in the middle square, but does it mean the one square or the nine small squares in the one big square?  Either way, it's not coming out right for me.

edit : never mind,  I finally got it.   :oops:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2006, 11:25:40 PM »

I have never had any problems with it recognizing colors. Definietly don't get too close to the mike. I don't move the DS at all when speaking to it.

-John

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2006, 03:14:14 AM »

Well, I think I've got the "blue" thing worked out by moving the DS not so close to my face. Now, though, it keeps registering my sevens as ones and so I missed a couple of the math questions. Still, it's a pretty fun game. I just wish that there was more to do per day.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2006, 09:22:06 PM »

I just got a DS lite for Father's Day and got this game too.

One neat thing that no one else has noted.  I'm a lefty and the game turned itself upside down for me so that I could write with my left hand and read at the same time.  Very nice touch.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2006, 11:45:50 PM »

The game doesnt recognize me saying 'blue' for shit.  Its irritating.

I have no problems with it recognizing my handwriting for numbers, but I have a lot of problems with it recognizing my handwriting for letters.

Those two problems make at least two of the tests not workable for me.

olaf
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2006, 05:21:32 AM »

This is my favorite DS game so far.

I, too, had troubles registering blue with the game.  I had to say it softly and emphasize the "oo" sound.  I have no problems now.

My initial age was  51 (with the blue troubles).  After that I lowered it to 28, and on my third day I made it to 23, which is my real age!  I can't wait to hop on tonight and see what other tests I've unlocked.  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: