http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 08:18:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trackmania Nations/United Forever  (Read 1867 times)
Moat_Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2008, 01:32:47 AM »

I saw TrackMania Nations Forever as a free download on Steam and gave it a try. I am not normally a driving game person but free is the right price to try something. I had a blast and even more so my 6 year old son loved playing it. Long story short, we upgraded to the "full" version Trackmania United Forever.

The game is quite fun in solo mode with it's arcade style driving action. The physics of driving and jumping are a blast too. You can skid around on dirt tracks and fly through the air off insane jumps. I've dabbled a bit in multiplayer (comes with both Nations and United) and I think I will take more advantage of it when I am done unlocking all the solo tracks.

Overall I would definitely recommend the free Trackmania Nations Forever for anyone looking for a simple fun racing game.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:44:18 AM by Moat_Man » Logged

End of line.
morlac
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 01:54:59 AM »

What are you using for controls?

I'm going to dload this later tonight I think.

edit:
Ugg, something is amiss.  Mouse wouldn't work in the menus.  Had to use my arrow keys which were messed up as well some how.  They would skip around menu choices like mad.  When I finally wrestled it to a race I couldn't go anywhere using the keyboard, the afore mentioned arrow keys were going wonky in game as well.  Sucks too, it looked neat.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 03:08:16 AM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 03:18:06 AM »

I play this like mad. I've played Trackmania since the first game, and just can't get enough. There are an insane number of tracks now, so it's no fun to make tracks anymore, but the racing is just too much fun, and quite a source of instant gratification when you do well and see your world ranking go up 500 places.

My name in game is eduardox. Add me and try to beat my scores.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 11:09:36 AM »

I got this from Steam last week, and love it. I had missed it in the past, due to it being infected with Starforce, and it turns out I'd missed a real gem.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »

Grr tried again today with my logitech dual shock.  Seems any input device I use goes erratic in game.  Very odd.  Hitting the gas makes me sputter at 0-1 mph, forward or reverse.  It's like anything I hit on keyboard or joystick 'blinks'.  Frustrated...

morlac00 on PSN
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »

I really enjoyed the first Trackmania and did play the free Nations thing for a while.  If I ever catch up on all my new games I might have to pick up United Forever. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Moat_Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 08:15:59 AM »

Quote from: morlac on May 18, 2008, 01:54:59 AM

I use the keyboard. I am sorry to hear you are having input problems. Try just the keyboard.

Quote from: Eduardo X on May 18, 2008, 03:18:06 AM

Done, my handle is drewvius.

End of line.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »

Quote from: Moat_Man on May 19, 2008, 08:15:59 AM

Quote from: morlac on May 18, 2008, 01:54:59 AM

I use the keyboard. I am sorry to hear you are having input problems. Try just the keyboard.

Quote from: Eduardo X on May 18, 2008, 03:18:06 AM

Done, my handle is drewvius.

It's an issue with Saitek keyboards apparently.  Haven't tried the 'fix' yet but will later today.

morlac00 on PSN
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 05:32:27 PM »

That sucks, morlac. Good luck.
I used to play this with a microsoft sidewinder joystick, and find that any joystick works great. Gamepads that aren't analog, however, make it kind of hard.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »

Ok, all is well in Trackamnia Land.

Handle is ... Morlac

Good fun so far only played about the first 7 tracks.

morlac00 on PSN
Baroquen131
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 12:54:19 AM »

I hadn't played this either, and picked it up from Steam. It's great fun and the best part for me is you can play for short bursts of time. I can catch my brother online and race a few tracks very easily. Huge variety of tracks and just a great balance between challenge and fun.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 03:54:38 AM »

Just downloading the free version, because free is good.

But I noticed that $40 version as well. What's the difference between the two? (Besides the price, of course.)

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 04:22:13 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on May 20, 2008, 03:54:38 AM

Just downloading the free version, because free is good.

But I noticed that $40 version as well. What's the difference between the two? (Besides the price, of course.)
Lots and lots of tracks, but also game modes.

AFAIK, Nations just has the stadium races, whereas United has Stadium, Coast, Bay, Desert, Snow, Rally, and maybe 1 other kind of landscape. Then, each of these has Platform (try to get to the finish line without respawning at checkpoints too much), Puzzle (finish the track using a set amount of pieces then get a fast time), Stunt, and Race tracks. It's well worth in, IMHO.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 06:20:08 AM »

I had trackmania sunrise, is this the same thing without Starforce?

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 08:22:18 AM »

Quote from: Tals on May 20, 2008, 06:20:08 AM

I had trackmania sunrise, is this the same thing without Starforce?

OK grabbed this first thing, similar to sunrise but the online aspect and the whole feel is now slicker. I'll play the free version for a bit and if it continues to interest i'll then stump up for the full version.

game tag is talsworthy if anyone fancies adding me. If you're reading this thread and debating whether it is worth the download - it really is, very nice looking and from the brief play I did this morning lots of fun.

Tals

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 05:10:10 PM »

Speaking of sunrises, I decided to give the game a "quick try" last night around 11PM. I was hoping to play for maybe 15 minutes. I ended up playing until 5:30AM, which I haven't done in years.

So yeah, this game is really fun. Some of the tracks can be frustrating, but overall this is one slick game.

I'd recommend taking it slower than I did, however. One and a half hours sleep is not quite enough.

And Eduardo,
Thanks!

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 01:59:47 AM »

I just tried out the Nations Forever from Steam because I realized the last one I tried out was just Trackmania Nations.  This one runs just as well, looks great and continues to be tons of fun.  If I wasn't in full game overload mode right now I would jump on the full Trackmania United Forever bandwagon. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 03:02:07 AM »

I've been playing this off and on for the past week. It is good fun. The only thing that I've found frustrating is that quite a few of the tracks used on the online servers are pretty poorly designed. There's a lot of good ones, for sure, and some that are much too hard for me. Neither of those bother me. It's the ones that feel like the designer was on an acid trip that can be a waste of time.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 07:50:45 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on May 25, 2008, 03:02:07 AM

I've been playing this off and on for the past week. It is good fun. The only thing that I've found frustrating is that quite a few of the tracks used on the online servers are pretty poorly designed. There's a lot of good ones, for sure, and some that are much too hard for me. Neither of those bother me. It's the ones that feel like the designer was on an acid trip that can be a waste of time.

Agreed - I wish there was a way of just playing on servers that hold official tracks - would certainly make it more controlled

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 05:11:32 AM »

Anyone still playing this game? I just started playing over the weekend. Lots of hours spent mostly in Solo play in the free Nations version. I'm trying to get at least a Silver medal in all the starting tracks before I tackle the Online play. Cool YouTube video of the game.

Game ID: sojourner

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 01:54:37 PM »

I've always wanted to try these, but never got around to it.  Word is they're headed to Gametap soon, so I guess I'll get to try them when they show up.

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 04:49:04 PM »

I would love to play these on gametap but they still dont support vista 64 so they are still out. 
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 05:24:46 PM »

I got the DS version of Trackmania, and all it did was make me want to play United, so I have been doing that the last few days. It is still a ton of fun.

Chaz and soulbringer, Nations and Nations Forvever are both free versions of the game. I'd say give those a try. For free.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 09:43:51 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on April 15, 2009, 05:24:46 PM

I got the DS version of Trackmania, and all it did was make me want to play United, so I have been doing that the last few days. It is still a ton of fun.

Chaz and soulbringer, Nations and Nations Forvever are both free versions of the game. I'd say give those a try. For free.

I d/led the DS demo myself.  It just didn't look anywhere near as good as the PC versions.  Also, it was missing some of the fun, somehow.  Still, I almost picked it up today anyway, until smarter heads prevailed.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: