http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 12:59:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trace Memory impressions  (Read 663 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2005, 12:02:12 AM »

I picked it up tonight and am looking forward to getting some time into it.  The reviews are all over the map with the major complaints being that it's too short and perhaps too easy.  Neither are a big problem in my book.

Adventure gamers (the classic point-and-click adventure gamers not Zelda "adventure") seem to be liking it.  I'm not a diehard adventure gamer by any stretch but I loves me some Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword and LucasArts classic stuff.  So I'll post back with some actual impressions either later tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone else picked it up or have impressions?
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 02:01:34 AM »

I'll probably be picking this one up myself. Once I find my free time... I lost it somewhere.

Ahhh, Gabriel Knight. God, Sins of the Fathers is still one of the greatest games I've ever played... What an incredible game.

end_tangent();
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 02:09:51 PM »

Don't get me started on Sins of the Fathers.  I loved that game!

Trace Memory is really pretty cool.  It's very much a traditional point-and-click (or actually point-and-tap with your stylus) adventure game.  The story is appropriately creepy: a girl on the eve of her 14th birthday finds out her father is really alive and on an island.  She goes to the island to meet him and... things happen including her meeting a ghost of a boy who has been dead for decades.  I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes.

The presentation is nice.  For conversations (and the first hour has a lot of conversations) the person you are talking to is on the top screen and the dialogue options are on the bottom screen.  For actual gameplay the lower screen is a top-down 3D view and you walk around by moving the stylus.  As you move, the top screen changes it's view to show a first-person view of important scenes.  Some of these will be interactive so you can click on the magnifying glass and it zooms to the bottom screen.  This is where the puzzle solving takes place.

They appear to be the standard "use inventory item to solve" puzzles.  For one early one I had to find a wire brush and use it to scrape rust off a metal sign to read the text.  The actual scraping is done using the touchscreen, scraping your stylus back and forth revealing the text.  Pretty neat.

You also have an object sent to you by your dad called a DTS that looks suspiciously like a Nintendo DS.  It allows you to take pictures, save your game anytime (yessss!) and appears to have some other functions I haven't gotten to.

None of the puzzles have been brain-achingly hard so far.  That's good for me because I suck at them and usually end up looking for a walkthrough.

Overall, first impressions are quite good and I'll definitely keep playing this one to see what happens in this interesting story.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 11:42:55 PM »

Well, I got this for X-mas from my brother (who is about to leave town over the holidays) on Friday. The big knock on this game is that it's short, and I am forced to agree as I have already completed it.

It was a very fun PC styled adventure game as billed. It truly does utilize just about every imaginable aspect of the Nintendo DS in its puzzles, and some of them were just cruel in how clever they are (I confess I did have to use a walkthrough about 3 times). If not for its criminally short length, it would be an easy recommendation. As it is (only about 5-6 hours long at most) I say wait until it's VERY cheap. Fun game though.

(Hopefully I'll get a little more time from his other present, METROID PRIME PINBALL~!)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: