http://gamingtrend.com
May 29, 2016, 02:00:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER FANTASY!  (Read 1307 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8308


The Truth is out there


View Profile
« on: December 06, 2012, 01:19:28 PM »

Yeah, or something close by.

CA is now officially partnered with Games Workshop about this... Makes me VERY excited, since this is something I've been waiting for for years!

Quote
SEGA and Creative Assembly Announce Partnership with Games Workshop to Create Warhammer Games

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON – 11AM GMT, December 6, 2012 – SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Creative Assembly™, award-winning creator of the Total War™ series, and SEGA® Group have entered into a multi-title licensing deal with Games Workshop® to create videogames based in the Warhammer® universe of fantasy battles.
A new high-calibre development team has been set up at Creative Assembly’s UK studio to work alongside the existing Total War, Alien™ IP and Mobile teams on the first Warhammer title in the deal, scheduled to launch from beyond 2013.
“With this year being our 25th anniversary”, said Tim Heaton, Studio Director at Creative Assembly, “it seems fitting for us to embark on such a dream project with such a well-established partner. The incredibly rich and detailed Warhammer world is something we grew up with, and has left an indelible imprint on us as both designers and gamers.”
“We’ll be doing the Warhammer universe justice in a way that has never been attempted before. We’re bringing those 25 years of experience and expertise in extremely high-scoring games to bear, delivering a Warhammer experience that videogamers will absolutely love.”
“We have enormous respect for SEGA and Creative Assembly and have felt for a long time that the combination of the enormously rich setting of the Warhammer world, and their stunning development talent is a match with huge potential,” said Jon Gillard, Games Workshop’s Head of Licensing. “Now that we’ve managed to bring these two giants of gaming together it is safe to say that some truly amazing products are going to be unleashed as a result. We are excited at the possibilities, and are enthusiastically working with the team at Creative Assembly already.”
This first Warhammer game joins the eagerly-awaited Total War™: Rome II and the untitled Alien IP as one of five projects currently in production at Creative Assembly, now one of the largest developers in Europe.

http://www.creative-assembly.com/sega-and-creative-assembly-announce-partnership-with-games-workshop-to-create-warhammer-games/
Logged

A new one
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7341


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 01:36:50 PM »

Damn you, I was just about to post this!  mad icon_wink

It might not be a Total War game, but it most likely is (and it could be several different types of games too. It's a vast franchise). A lot of people have been dreaming about this combination, so this is a good thing.
Logged
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8308


The Truth is out there


View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 01:49:56 PM »

There are so many places to go with Games workshop that I get dizzy just thinking about it. One of my favorite games from way back was actually Space Hulk,where you had 4 cameras to control 4 space marines, and even a Psyker as far as I remember - LOVED that game.

For some reason in my opinion, Games workshop have some of the most atmospheric licenses out there, in that every license oozes style and atmosphere.

And yeah, it could be anything - I just find it to be highly likely that its a Total War style game, due to who the developer is, but who knows.
Logged

A new one
skystride
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2221



View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 06, 2012, 01:19:28 PM

since this is something I've been waiting for for years!

You know there already is a game that was basically Total War in Warhammer universe - Warhammer: Mark of Chaos.
Logged
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8308


The Truth is out there


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 05:41:42 PM »

Quote from: skystride on December 06, 2012, 05:27:07 PM

Quote from: Razgon on December 06, 2012, 01:19:28 PM

since this is something I've been waiting for for years!

You know there already is a game that was basically Total War in Warhammer universe - Warhammer: Mark of Chaos.

Aye, I played that a LOT!

Its just not a very well aged game today.
Logged

A new one
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12419


I said good day, sir!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »

Don't forget that Creative Assembly also has the team that does action games like Viking and Spartan.  Although those guys may be working on the Alien game.
Logged

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7341


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 06, 2012, 05:43:04 PM

Don't forget that Creative Assembly also has the team that does action games like Viking and Spartan.  Although those guys may be working on the Alien game.

And don't forget that Games Workshop is extremely restrictive with its license. I don't think there are many genres they would accept for the Warhammer property (40k or not). It's mostly strategy/tactics, but in certain rare cases it can be something else (such as the Space Marine game). The only reason Warcraft isn't Warhammer and Starcraft isn't Warhammer 40k is because Games Workshop were so difficult to work with.
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9708



View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 06:34:06 PM »

Well, I've been wanting CA to make a fantasy warfare game for a long time now. And now, it gets better with the Warhammer license.
Logged
Azhag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1909


View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 09:27:35 PM »

Awesome
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9708



View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 02:18:41 AM »

Of course, this comes with the knowledge that GW has run the tabletop version of this into the ground, literally everyone has stopped playing this.

And all other video game versions have failed. slywink
Logged
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12419


I said good day, sir!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 08:09:13 PM »

So this launched today.  Anybody picking it up?

They released this really cool 360 degree launch trailer gameplay footage video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSBWwnOHvM8
I love these sort of interactive trailers for games, as it really gives you a much better idea of what the game looks like in real time.  Be sure to pick a resolution larger than you normally would, otherwise it seems to end up looking like crap (and still never looks greatly detailed). 
Logged

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7341


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 08:42:18 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 06, 2012, 06:09:02 PM

And don't forget that Games Workshop is extremely restrictive with its license.

It's interesting to read myself writing that 3 1/2 years ago. Suffice to say things changed dramatically overnight, and Games Workshop has been anything but restrictive with its Warhammer licenses since then. These days they'll allow just about anyone to create a game in their settings.
Logged
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1794


Lord of the Rutabagas


View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 10:36:24 PM »

I'm getting really bad screen tearing so far.  Turn on V-Sync and it gets even worse with interface flickering.  Quite a few people reporting the problem in the support forums.

On the other hand, there is an option after winning a battle to eat the captives, which I wholeheartedly approve of.
Logged
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3944


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 10:44:51 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 24, 2016, 08:09:13 PM

So this launched today.  Anybody picking it up?


I had a special voucher from Green Man Gaming that took 27% off the price, so I decided to give it a go.  I started a "short" Dwarven campaign because they're ranked as an Easy Start and the Total War games are filled with mechanics I don't really understand.

So far I've won a few tutorial battles, recruited a second Lord who can act as a general for his own army, and found some unique magical gear to enhance my Lords' attributes.  My special helmet, for example, gives a hefty bonus against Fire damage and a nice boost to his Leadership skill in combat.  I also won my first Quest Battle in a huge underground cavern where retreat was impossible and I still got all my units out to resupply.

Dwarves start out with access to Quarrellers for ranged attacks, Axemen for melee fighting, and Miners for...more melee fighting.  They're cheaper to recruit, so I think they might be the equivalent of a Peasant brigade from the earlier Total War games.  My leader also has a battery of catapults with him that really mess up enemy forces, so the orcs have needed to close distance at maximum speed to avoid getting bouldered to death.  I also like the fact that Dwarves don't cast magic spells -- it's one less mechanic to learn while figuring out the basics of provincial management.

I don't yet have a good enough sense of the economy or enemy AI to comment on those things, but at least in the fights I've seen so far, the enemy will fan out to attack your flanks and charge in if you don't maneuver defenders to intercept them.  First impressions are pretty solid.

The world map and units are nicely detailed and the game runs great at Ultra settings, but the lighting seems really flat.  The lack of shadowing during battles really stands out, though I suppose it's a necessary cost of animating several hundred character models at once.  I think I encountered a weird graphical bug where shadows weren't showing during my first session -- when I played again last night, there was normal shadowing during the battles.  It'll be interesting to see how the experience evolves once I get access to some more exotic unit types.

A few things I don't understand yet:

  • a pop-up informed me that I've acquired a retinue guy who will increase empire-wide research speed by 10%.  It suggested I could assign him to one of my leaders, but I haven't found where to do that yet.
  • I also acquired a Hero by winning a Quest Battle.  Heroes can act independently on the strategic map or be attached to a military unit to enhance their capabilities, but I haven't had time to experiment with his skill set yet.
  • An Orc Hero tried several times to hinder the progress of my armies.  He failed every time, but although I could see his position on the strategic map, I wasn't able to attack him directly.  It's possible I needed a Hero of my own to chase him off, but he seems to have left of his own accord.

My first impression is: if you like the idea of the Total War games but haven't felt up to educating yourself on ideological gradients driving the power struggle feudal Japan, Warhammer might be right up your alley.  "We're Dwarves.  We don't like Orks.  Kill the Orks!"  Sure, man: works for me!

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:14:35 AM by Autistic Angel » Logged
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12419


I said good day, sir!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 03:13:00 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 24, 2016, 10:36:24 PM

On the other hand, there is an option after winning a battle to eat the captives, which I wholeheartedly approve of.

That is pretty great.  smile
Logged

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Clanwolfer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1476


View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 11:50:10 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 24, 2016, 10:44:51 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 24, 2016, 08:09:13 PM

So this launched today.  Anybody picking it up?


I had a special voucher from Green Man Gaming that took 27% off the price, so I decided to give it a go.  I started a "short" Dwarven campaign because they're ranked as an Easy Start and the Total War games are filled with mechanics I don't really understand.

So far I've won a few tutorial battles, recruited a second Lord who can act as a general for his own army, and found some unique magical gear to enhance my Lords' attributes.  My special helmet, for example, gives a hefty bonus against Fire damage and a nice boost to his Leadership skill in combat.  I also won my first Quest Battle in a huge underground cavern where retreat was impossible and I still got all my units out to resupply.

Dwarves start out with access to Quarrellers for ranged attacks, Axemen for melee fighting, and Miners for...more melee fighting.  They're cheaper to recruit, so I think they might be the equivalent of a Peasant brigade from the earlier Total War games.  My leader also has a battery of catapults with him that really mess up enemy forces, so the orcs have needed to close distance at maximum speed to avoid getting bouldered to death.  I also like the fact that Dwarves don't cast magic spells -- it's one less mechanic to learn while figuring out the basics of provincial management.

I don't yet have a good enough sense of the economy or enemy AI to comment on those things, but at least in the fights I've seen so far, the enemy will fan out to attack your flanks and charge in if you don't maneuver defenders to intercept them.  First impressions are pretty solid.

The world map and units are nicely detailed and the game runs great at Ultra settings, but the lighting seems really flat.  The lack of shadowing during battles really stands out, though I suppose it's a necessary cost of animating several hundred character models at once.  I think I encountered a weird graphical bug where shadows weren't showing during my first session -- when I played again last night, there was normal shadowing during the battles.  It'll be interesting to see how the experience evolves once I get access to some more exotic unit types.

A few things I don't understand yet:

  • a pop-up informed me that I've acquired a retinue guy who will increase empire-wide research speed by 10%.  It suggested I could assign him to one of my leaders, but I haven't found where to do that yet.
  • I also acquired a Hero by winning a Quest Battle.  Heroes can act independently on the strategic map or be attached to a military unit to enhance their capabilities, but I haven't had time to experiment with his skill set yet.
  • An Orc Hero tried several times to hinder the progress of my armies.  He failed every time, but although I could see his position on the strategic map, I wasn't able to attack him directly.  It's possible I needed a Hero of my own to chase him off, but he seems to have left of his own accord.

My first impression is: if you like the idea of the Total War games but haven't felt up to educating yourself on ideological gradients driving the power struggle feudal Japan, Warhammer might be right up your alley.  "We're Dwarves.  We don't like Orks.  Kill the Orks!"  Sure, man: works for me!

-Autistic Angel

A few things, based on my own almost identical playthrough last night of the dwarves:

For the Runesmith (retinue guy) - he ought to pop up in your capital, look for a very small icon on the main view next to a map or any garrisoned army. You can drag him onto an army to attach him (it will ask you if you're sure. This is what I did - though I regretted it pretty quick, as he's ALSO the guy who can assassinate enemy heroes. As a general (heh) matter, I think the heroes are probably well-served doing hero stuff, not fighting battles.

I also under-used Quarrelers heavily - apparently they're doing a ton of damage, so it's not a bad idea to go heavy on them early and use your low-damage but very durable warriors as a screening force.

And be careful - it sounds like you're allllmost to where I got. If your game is unfolding anything like mine, you're about to get hit with a pair of Greenskin super-stacks - they laid siege to my cities, I managed to bait them out with my secondary army to have an almost-even battle on open ground. Unfortunately, my reinforcing armies started out on the opposite end of the map and so we got picked apart piecemeal, and that was the end of THAT dwarven empire. Looking forward to another go at it tonight, taking into account the lessons I've learned.
Logged

Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5650


Homeworld: Remastered


View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 12:21:19 PM »

The tactical battles play out way too fast.  Not a huge concern, as this will be modded by the faithful TW community.

Other than that, I'm very impressed with what I've experienced so far; and I've been playing Total War since the original Shogun, so I'm pretty critical and jaded when it comes to C.A. release versions.
Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2538


View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 11:35:40 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on May 25, 2016, 12:21:19 PM

The tactical battles play out way too fast.

That has me concerned. I'm guessing that you can pause the game to issue orders? I'm a Warhammer fan, so I was really looking forward to this title. But with the mixed performance reviews on Steam, various commentary about the strategic map being "dumbed down", and now reading that the tactical battles are way too fast, I'm starting to think there isn't any strategy in this strategy game.
Logged
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5650


Homeworld: Remastered


View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 12:50:45 PM »

Tac. Battles have all the same speed commands as previous TW games.  If you're not familiar, that means there is normal speed, very fast speed, slow motion speed (which is maybe 1/5 normal speed), and pause. During pause you can issue orders, including activating platoon special commands (guard, fire at will, etc.).  So I don't think that should concern you.

I was referring more specifically to the rate at which individual units get killed or break off due to very quick morale loss.  It's a personal thing I dislike quite a bit.

For what it's worth, I do not agree with the overarching sentiment that the dumbing down of the strategic layer of the game drastically hurts the product overall.  It's different, and I certainly understand the viewpoint; but I also think it's being overstated.  My opinion of course.
Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12419


I said good day, sir!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 08:09:30 PM »

I keep being tempted to pick up this game, but I know that I suck at RTS type games so I'm not sure why.  I guess the idea of the big battles with orcs and Chaos and everything just looks and seems cool. 
Logged

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 62 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.022s, 2q)