http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 01:31:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Torchlight, a follow-up to Fate and Mythos  (Read 30613 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 07, 2009, 05:42:51 PM »

I think your mana is low
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 07, 2009, 05:53:15 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 07, 2009, 05:42:51 PM

I think your mana is low

It's a demo smile I just need to portal back to the town to grab a load more

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 07, 2009, 07:01:20 PM »

Just finished the main quest line at lvl 36.  I think I'll level a bit on the bought maps before I try the new endless dungeon.

Sad to say, but I wish I had more room to store stuff.  My non-shared chest is full is gems in various forms of transmutation and the shared chest is totally full with set items and orange items.   I know some of the set items aren't that great but the completist in me won't let me throw them away!

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 07, 2009, 07:56:28 PM »

You guys figured it out, but thought I'd remind again that Travis updated his patch notes to say you don't need to uninstall the Steam version.

Some people are already "uninstalling the patch," as some are disappointed with the Enchanter changes and many aren't seeing improvements in loading times. My Spidey-SenseTM tells me hotfixes will parachute into Torchlight next week...

Me Vanquisher's able to wear that unique Bone Chest Armor. Alas, it isn't much to see:

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 07, 2009, 08:07:43 PM »

Quote from: Tals on November 07, 2009, 03:14:03 PM

Quote from: Razgon on November 07, 2009, 03:07:28 PM

Quote from: Misguided on November 07, 2009, 02:00:11 PM

I need some help with Steam. Torchlight is set to automatically update. I can pull up the 1.2 notes on steam, but it never mentioned the file was available and when I launch the game the version is 1.11. What do I need to do to get it to update?

uninstall the game, and then re-download it

I don't think that would solve it - I think it is a steam issue i.e steam is showing the wrong version

they forgot to change the patch number. if you notice enchanting being hella cheaper and giving you a percentage you have the patch.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 07, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »

Now I understand why I had such a difficulty jump at the gardens. There are three portals. The easiest is to the left with the most difficult to the right. I started on the right, not realizing that was the case.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 08, 2009, 02:43:56 PM »

I did the same thing.  But now I'm past that and cruising along again.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 08, 2009, 03:11:26 PM »

I like the art style of these screenshots, but I'm curious of the people who're playing: with only three classes and no multiplayer, do you think Torchlight has the depth to hold your interest for a while?  Obviously it isn't intended to supersede Diablo III or anything crazy -- I'm just curious if it's the sort of thing that's intensely fun for about ten days and then you decide to roll up a new character in Titan Quest.

Without having played Torchlight, I'm bummed they're planning to spin it off into some sort of MMORPG.  It looks like the sort of thing that could really blossom with some new character and content packs...even regular multiplayer co-op...but I couldn't be less interested in paying a monthly subscription to play this sort of game on a persistent server. icon_frown

-Autistic Angel
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 08, 2009, 03:20:52 PM »

Just picked this up and love the art style and gameplay. However, playing as the Tank dude and my "Aid Brinks" quest continues to say "Incomplete" even though I've found him and he is following me everywhere. In checking around, something is supposed to happen when I have him in tow down in the mines, but I think I've been everywhere down to level 3 and still nada. Do I need to go deeper? Missed an area?  icon_confused

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: November 08, 2009, 03:25:14 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 08, 2009, 03:20:52 PM

Just picked this up and love the art style and gameplay. However, playing as the Tank dude and my "Aid Brinks" quest continues to say "Incomplete" even though I've found him and he is following me everywhere. In checking around, something is supposed to happen when I have him in tow down in the mines, but I think I've been everywhere down to level 3 and still nada. Do I need to go deeper? Missed an area?  icon_confused

Keep going, something will happen and you'll know when it does.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: November 08, 2009, 03:26:53 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 08, 2009, 03:11:26 PM

I like the art style of these screenshots, but I'm curious of the people who're playing: with only three classes and no multiplayer, do you think Torchlight has the depth to hold your interest for a while?  Obviously it isn't intended to supersede Diablo III or anything crazy -- I'm just curious if it's the sort of thing that's intensely fun for about ten days and then you decide to roll up a new character in Titan Quest.

Without having played Torchlight, I'm bummed they're planning to spin it off into some sort of MMORPG.  It looks like the sort of thing that could really blossom with some new character and content packs...even regular multiplayer co-op...but I couldn't be less interested in paying a monthly subscription to play this sort of game on a persistent server. icon_frown

-Autistic Angel

First of all it's only $20.  There is plenty of content/depth for that price.  The three classes are not your typical stringent classes.  You want a dual wielding melee alchemist who can crit like crazy?  do it.  You want the typical magic slinging glass cannon Alchemist?  you can do it.  You want to make a alchemist who can summon numerous beast?  You can do it.  They really did  a fantastic of allowing you to make all sorts of builds within the 3 individual classes.  Also, if past history is any indicator there will be free content updates for this $20 gem.  Seeing as they have not confirmed what the pricing will be like for the mmorpg game based on this I think it's a little too early to complain about monthly fees.  However, all indications are that it will be a free to play version of some sort with the content and not drops being the for sale stuff..  

morlac00 on PSN
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 08, 2009, 04:54:55 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 08, 2009, 03:11:26 PM

-Autistic Angel
Download the demo. You won't be disappointed.

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 08, 2009, 05:09:09 PM »

Although I have deep thoughts on the black hole of red herring that is the Diablo wannabe genre -- I don't think it's an accident that so many devs/studios that did high profile, large budget Diablo clones have gone out of business; to my mind Runic's being smart -- I'm just too busy playing to go into detail.   icon_smile

It may be single player, but you don't have to be alone. I give my pet two higher level summong skills (Skeleton Warrior, and Zombie Horde) and they're really quite useful. The zombies return a little bit of health to you in combat.

Got a nice unique bow just now:

THIS could be a very nice set, but lord knows if I'll ever find a 2nd piece:

Any thoughts on how to beat THIS guy in the Prison Stronghold (I used a *spoiler* for people who haven't gotten that far). Neither my unique rifle nor the aforementioned bow can event dent his health meter even slightly. I don't know what to do. My pet and my pet's pets can't do anything with him either.  paranoid
Spoiler for Hiden:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:13:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 08, 2009, 05:10:17 PM »

Quote from: slackerjoe on November 08, 2009, 04:54:55 PM

Download the demo. You won't be disappointed.

This. You get to play plenty long enough for it to get its clutches into you.
I found a unique ring that sells for about 1100 gold last night, which is a good 5x more than anything else I've seen (and 10x more than all but 1-2 items). It has +health and increased movement speed for yourself and minions. I might try adding some enchants to it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:14:26 PM by Misguided » Logged

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 08, 2009, 05:11:10 PM »

Finally finished it up with my Destroyer, he ended up at level 35:

Haven't found an option to retire him, also had one post-game question:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Anyone know how many levels the new dungeon in the graveyard has?  Over on Qt3 they were saying it's infinite

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 08, 2009, 05:12:02 PM »

Blackjack, does your rifle happen to be physical damage like the bow?

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 08, 2009, 05:17:11 PM »

The Ice Dragonne rifle (see further up) is all ice damage. I'll try some different weapons on the boss I'm having trouble with.

Aw, that was almost easy 2nd time. I had tried on that set shoulder blade and forgot to change it.  icon_lol With the ice rifle, it went much better. My Pet's pets were a great help.  icon_smile Got a couple unique items when he dropped. Will report on that soon...

Hey, didn't realize the Pause (Enter key) mode shifts into this cool "The Matrix" style spinning camera. You can get some really cool screenshots that way. Unfortunately, in-combat, it's a little dangerous as I found.  smirk

Although the Dragonne just makes my character look vaguely obscene  icon_eek icon_lol "Come back here you coward! It's really a gun, I'm not just happy to see you!"  saywhat

And in-combat, which of course got me killed, but I'm going to try taking more screenies in pause mode anywho

I set up a separate "pause mode" screenshot thread. I'm glutting things up here, and I'd love to see others' stuff.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 06:04:39 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 08, 2009, 07:51:48 PM »

The retire, talk to the person by your shared stash, they should have a ! the first time. The dungeon is infinite afaik.

I respec'd my vanq last night after learning more about how they work and damn and I'm doing a lot better. Does anyone know if you can have seperate type of pets at once? Like right now I use skeletons. Could I also summon archers w/o it overwriting the warriors?
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 09, 2009, 06:31:26 PM »

Anybody tried the skeleton archers?

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 09, 2009, 07:06:04 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 08, 2009, 07:51:48 PM

The retire, talk to the person by your shared stash, they should have a ! the first time. The dungeon is infinite afaik.

I respec'd my vanq last night after learning more about how they work and damn and I'm doing a lot better. Does anyone know if you can have seperate type of pets at once? Like right now I use skeletons. Could I also summon archers w/o it overwriting the warriors?
I'm pretty sure you can have more than one type active as spells. I don't really like having to fiddle with the Function keys to do spells, so I just give my pet two summoning spells (Zombie horde, and Skeleton warrior) and they're both up most of the time. AFIK, as long as you use different summoning spells (skeleton archer and skeleton warrior are separate spells afik) you should be able to keep them both active in the game.

Conversely though, my Destroyer can only keep one of his summoning SKILLS (not spells) up at a given time.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 09, 2009, 07:58:12 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 09, 2009, 06:31:26 PM

Anybody tried the skeleton archers?

yeah, i have archers 5 and skeletons 6 now. i can take down a rare mob in no time with them. the archers are awesome even though they don't move. the CD is only 5 seconds, so they are very useful when a bunch of mobs are around you. i was clearing rooms in seconds
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 09, 2009, 08:20:27 PM »

I haven't seen the archers for sale in ages, unfortunately. I may have to do some portal skipping and see if I can get some. I'm starting to struggle with my damage output against some mob types.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 09, 2009, 09:00:37 PM »

yeah i was too. my good weapon got wiped. luckily i had to some pistols as backup and then found a nice unique with like 700 dmg.

last night i did the ember quests, cause i apparently i forgot about it, and make about 100k in an hour. just running from the last few floors is so quick and with my crazy MF I was finding greens like no tomorrow. thank god for the cat.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 09, 2009, 11:11:21 PM »

Runic started a "Top 10 Helpful Hints for Torched" level editor:
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5688&p=58524#p58524

They're updating it semi-regularly. They hoped to get the editor out today, but it's looking like it might be a while longer.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: November 10, 2009, 04:38:48 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 28, 2009, 10:37:10 AM

I just got the new issue of PC Gamer in the mail; Torchlight is advertised on the back cover and that Gaming Trend quote is on there.  Cool!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: November 10, 2009, 05:49:20 PM »

Ron should print up T-shirts with the quote on it. icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 10, 2009, 05:52:33 PM »

Still having an absolute blast with this. Things had gotten much tougher for me again and I had to switch up tactics. Adding skeleton archers into the mix with my zombies helped a bit, but I really needed a wand upgrade. The first one I bought got disenchanted, but I managed to secure another and get some sockets into it so I could add some mana steal and health regen. I basically hit archers, then zombies, then the skill that boosts their attack way up (imbue?) if needed. Against the tougher bosses I have a couple of things that boost my own abilities. I keep forgetting to feed fish to my dog which would, if nothing else, help keep him alive.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 10, 2009, 05:55:48 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 10, 2009, 04:38:48 AM

I just got the new issue of PC Gamer in the mail; Torchlight is advertised on the back cover and that Gaming Trend quote is on there.  Cool!

wow - thats pretty cool!! Does Ron know about this??

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 10, 2009, 06:20:10 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 10, 2009, 05:55:48 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 10, 2009, 04:38:48 AM

wow - thats pretty cool!! Does Ron know about this??

That's the second big GT quote I have seen.  The other was in ads and on the box of Space Rangers 2.   Two of my all time favorites.

morlac00 on PSN
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 10, 2009, 06:40:21 PM »

During its last few years, the print mag Computer Games would sometimes highlight interesting quotes from forum posts at their message boards. I got quoted a few times under a different nickname. Made me wish I'd used my real name at the forums.  icon_lol

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: November 10, 2009, 07:49:21 PM »

Wow, I hadn't seen that yet!  I let my subscription lapse and now I really wish I hadn't.   If you are the type that normally tosses out those mags, I'd love to buy them from you.   That's awesome!  smile    This made my day...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 10, 2009, 07:54:42 PM »

I was reading Qt3 last night and found that apparently you can xmute green items into higher quality ones. mind. blown. I had no idea and I don't know why I never thought to try. Then again, I usually send my cat on his way all the time to sell. But yeah, I'm probably late to the party on that one, but there ya go. Suddenly selling greens for 100g doesn't seem worth it.

oh god, it's coming! Just need a bug fix and we'll have the editor probably today! http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewstory&threadid=104165
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:58:52 PM by jersoc » Logged
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 10, 2009, 09:10:37 PM »

Did that quote come from the PAX preview?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 10, 2009, 10:32:05 PM »

Oh wait, I don't think Ron was talking to me. Never mind.  icon_lol

------------------
Torchlight-wise, yeah, keep an eye on that thread with the 10 tips (it wasn't a countdown to release, as it turns out, but it is useful):
Runic's Top 10 Helpful Hints for Torched
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5688
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:41:31 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 10, 2009, 10:50:42 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 10, 2009, 07:49:21 PM

Wow, I hadn't seen that yet!  I let my subscription lapse and now I really wish I hadn't.   If you are the type that normally tosses out those mags, I'd love to buy them from you.   That's awesome!  smile    This made my day...

They sell them everywhere you know.  No need to wait for the second hand bathroom edition from one of the creeps who frequent here icon_biggrin

morlac00 on PSN
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 11, 2009, 03:37:13 AM »

ITS OUT OMGOMGOMGOMGOGM

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5940
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 12, 2009, 04:56:41 AM »

everyone must be playing Mw2 a lot, not me! I found this awesome spell last night in the shop. It's freakin sweet. You just summon the gel thing and it'll cast heal all randomly. Gave it to my pet, but I'm hoping to find another for my own use.

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 12, 2009, 05:58:45 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 10, 2009, 09:10:37 PM

Did that quote come from the PAX preview?

Yah, it did.  Bradford wrote it up, but I was there with him asking questions in that preview session. smile
Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: November 20, 2009, 10:17:39 AM »

i tried demo and the game is really great and addictive! If you use code "5OFFTORCH" on D2D (valid to sunday) you will have 5$ off this game smile

Add me: Raptr: Kossak, Steam: Kossak
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 21, 2009, 02:15:08 PM »

Quote from: Kossak on November 20, 2009, 10:17:39 AM

i tried demo and the game is really great and addictive! If you use code "5OFFTORCH" on D2D (valid to sunday) you will have 5$ off this game smile

Bugger.............how can I "not" get this now. Friggin forum effect.........................It has a 100% crit rate.

Does the D2D version come patched up? Can't find much info on any patches..
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:41:55 PM by Arclight » Logged

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: