http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 08:11:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 5 Hardest NES games  (Read 1126 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2009, 04:25:11 PM »

according to MSNBC.  I don't remember Paperboy being that hard, but back then there were a few different versions so I can't recall if I played it on the NES, C-64, arcade or something else.  I do agree with the others, especially Contra and Bionic Commando.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 04:32:21 PM »

I dunno, I never agree with Contra showing on these lists - granted I did have one of those 'turbo' controls (and probably played way too much of it) but both my brother and I could both make it through the game on 2 lives.   It wasn't an easy game, but no where near the Ghouls'N'Ghost or Battletoads level of hard.

The majority of Punchout wasn't that hard either - it was just that 1:30 of the first round against Tyson that pushed the game into the controller throwing atmosphere...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 05:01:07 PM »

Was it actually impossible to beat Mike Tyson in that game?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 05:19:41 PM »

They completely and totally forgot a few:

1) Ninja Gaiden
2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Paperboy? That's child's play compared to the evils the two games above throw upon you. Bionic Commando wasn't hard either once you got the swinging mechanics down pat (although the second to last level if I remember right had one mother of a chain of swings you had to pull off without screwing up or else you died, period). Same with Contra (pattern memorization helped a lot).

BTW - I consider finishing TMNT a badge of honor when it comes to difficult games. That and Battletoads (without warping - although it only makes the game slightly easier when you do that). Did both in my childhood years. Not sure I could do it now to be frank.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 05:23:58 PM »

Gotta agree on Battletoads.  I thought Adventures of Lolo was pretty merciless too.   As far as the most difficult, that's easy - The Battle of Olympus.   Controller-snappingly difficult.....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 05:27:55 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on May 21, 2009, 05:01:07 PM

No - I'm pretty sure CC beat it a couple of times. You just have to learn Tyson's rhythm.

I don't know how anyone could beat Contra with just 3 lives, however. I could barely do it with 30.

Kid Icarus was also pretty tough, mainly because you couldn't go back down once the game scrolled. And Mega Man was crazy hard.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 05:36:25 PM »

Ugh, how did I forget Ninja Gaiden?   the 20 minute fight from Bloody Malth to the Jaquio.  The birds, the bats, the soldiers, the pits!  AIIIEEEE!  Oh you died?  Back to the beginning of that 20 minute fight.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 05:42:18 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on May 21, 2009, 05:01:07 PM

I managed to beat him once throughout my many years of Punch-Out addiction.  But once was enough for me.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 05:45:38 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 21, 2009, 05:19:41 PM

They completely and totally forgot a few:
2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
BTW - I consider finishing TMNT a badge of honor when it comes to difficult games. That and Battletoads (without warping - although it only makes the game slightly easier when you do that). Did both in my childhood years. Not sure I could do it now to be frank.
Definitely needs TMNT in the list.  I'm amazed at how much time I put into that game as a kid considering I rarely made it past that timed underwater bomb defusing level.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »

Yes Tyson is beatable. The hard thing about him is that he knocks you out if you get hit twice. One hit you get knocked down, but can get up, two and it's lights out.

- I agree with Battletoads, that game is hard.
- I agree on Contra if there is no cheat code.

- I don't agree that Ninja Gaiden should be on the list. That game was all about timing. If you got the timing down then you could beat the game without dying. I know this because  I did. I doubt I could do it now, because I'm old and my skills aren't as good. But it can be done.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 06:50:51 PM »

Ninja Gaiden definitely belongs on that list...absolutely merciless level of difficulty.  while i admit that learning the timing was key, the margin for error was so small that it still took a huge amount of skill.  it also didn't help that dying once in an area sometimes meant that the enemies would follow a slightly different pattern the next time.  the fact that the game had some small amount of unpredictability meant that memorization could only take you so far.  combine that with the long levels that you had to repeat if you died and a crazy run up to the very difficult final boss, and you have what i'm pretty sure is widely regarded as one of the most difficult NES games.

personally, i think this list of the Top 10 Hardest Video Games is much better...great choices, and good explanations icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 09:44:26 PM »

I beat Mike Tyson all the time. He wasn't that difficult.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 09:47:03 PM »

Mega Man
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 04:33:37 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 21, 2009, 05:23:58 PM

Gotta agree on Battletoads.  I thought Adventures of Lolo was pretty merciless too.   As far as the most difficult, that's easy - The Battle of Olympus.   Controller-snappingly difficult.....

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 21, 2009, 05:23:58 PM

Oh, man - another "devotee" of Battle of Olympus! I adored that game, but it definitely had some  controller-snapping moments, without a doubt.  Does the name "Lamia" ring a bell? I seem to remember there was a black-haired sort of witch that was the first one I got stuck on for awhile.  I got past her but I apparently never forgot her! Well not exactly - I just looked her up and got this:
The Lamia is a creature with the lower body of a snake, and
the upper body of a woman.  She (it) uses a bow and arrow to attack...

Legendary Wings is one that I had to import a "youth" to show me the screens beyond - oh maybe the fourth or fifth. It was a gorgeous game but I never did get the hang of it.  tear

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 04:40:16 PM »

I whipped Mike Tyson as well. He can be beaten. I probably couldn't do so today but I sure could when I was much younger. Mega Man should be on the list, as well as Ninja Gaiden. As with most games back then, timing was key. But Ninja Gaiden was legendary for a reason.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 05:06:33 PM »

Tyson's not that bad - you just need to survive the first round and his one punch knockouts, and after that it's a much more straightforward exercise in dodge-punch-punch.

Edit: Ok, that list that disarm posted would almost exactly match my list as well.  I had completely forgotten about Blaster Master - great game, but also mind numblingly hard.   
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 05:08:36 PM by Dimmona » Logged

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »

I had a raging hate for the monkey that accompanied Frankenstein in the original Castlevania.

Kid Icarus always stumped me, as did Ninja Gaiden.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 10:02:58 AM »

I loved Blaster Master right up until the level where you had to drive upside down and reverse jump around spikes. frown

Loved Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden kicked my ass though.

Tyson wasn't too bad.
Vikki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »

My list would be :

#1 TMNT - The underwater levels and the boss fights were insane.
#2 Battle Toads - This makes the list based on the turbo bikes alone
#3 Ninja Gaiden - ridiculous
#4 The Simpson's game - NES Version (the one that starts with Bart on the skateboard)
#5 Topgun: I never could land on that stupid Carrier

I personally did not think Mike Tyson's punchout was all that difficult to complete. 

As for Battle of Olympus, I used to complete that game at the end of every summer when I was a kid... sorta of like a right of passage before school started.  Therefore in retrospect I do not remember it being more difficult than the frustration fest that I have listed in my top 5. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: