http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 10:31:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 10 Hardest to Beat Console Games  (Read 2158 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »

http://pc.ign.com/articles/774/774907p2.html

Once again they get it wrong.  Everyone knows that the push from Bloody Malth to the last boss in the original Ninja Gaiden is the #1 toughest game.  Goddamned bats and birds...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 04:30:08 PM »

I didn't find Contra all that hard, back in the day when my reflexes were much better.

Now though, my 30 year old body and mind is just not the same as it used to be at 10 years old on a sugar rush.  icon_frown

You know, it pretty amazing to know that I used to be able to get all the way through Super Ghouls and Ghosts with no real problem...but when I try it now on the Capcom Classics Collection, it's just not pretty.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 04:38:56 PM »

Yeah, I beat most of those games back in the day and I don't recall being especially frustrated with any of them.  But I wouldn't last long in them these days. 
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 04:56:17 PM »

Narc was near impossible without the game genie.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 05:07:59 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 22, 2007, 04:30:08 PM

I didn't find Contra all that hard, back in the day when my reflexes were much better.

Now though, my 30 year old body and mind is just not the same as it used to be at 10 years old on a sugar rush.  icon_frown

You know, it pretty amazing to know that I used to be able to get all the way through Super Ghouls and Ghosts with no real problem...but when I try it now on the Capcom Classics Collection, it's just not pretty.

Exactly!  I just don't get all this 'modernization' of these top 10 lists.  Yea, Ninja Gaiden Black is difficult, but it doesn't hold a candle to the controller smashing difficulty of the original - not even in the same time zone.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 05:08:56 PM »

I remember really not liking F-Zero GX on the GC.

I played through most of MDK2 on the PC until it crashed.  I remember it being somewhat challenging but not too tough.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 05:09:11 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on March 22, 2007, 04:56:17 PM

Ugh, I remember that game.  "Aww nah, the Narc man!" and then there were clowns throwing giant needles at your head to get you hooked on drugs.  Fail the game?  Get a big Presidential seal telling you "Don't do drugs" like the ones you were just injected with.  Good times...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 05:12:24 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 22, 2007, 05:09:11 PM

Quote from: Eduardo X on March 22, 2007, 04:56:17 PM

Ugh, I remember that game.  "Aww nah, the Narc man!" and then there were clowns throwing giant needles at your head to get you hooked on drugs.  Fail the game?  Get a big Presidential seal telling you "Don't do drugs" like the ones you were just injected with.  Good times...
The ending is a screen that says something like "Congratulations! You're on your way to becoming a real Narc."
That in itself was enough to infuriate me to vow to never play again.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 05:24:16 PM »

Contra as #1? Are they insane?

Battletoads needs to be WAY higher. Mega Man 1, not so (that game was hard and unforgiving, but doable, especially with the Electroman trick with pausing). Contra was definitely not the 'hardest game'.

They also forgot the original TMNT on the NES. That game was a BITCH towards the end.

And they forgot Blaster Master (NES). Also very unforgiving. And it had limited continues, was a long game, and had no save feature of any kind.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 05:47:34 PM »

Megaman 1 is freaking hard
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »

Contra was not hard at all - while I played it way too much, I was able to finish it on a single guy on the NES back in the day.  Mega Man wasn't that difficult either...

Ninja Gaiden, any of the Goblins & Ghosts/Ghouls & Ghosts titles, etc. should be in the #1 slot.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 05:59:56 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 22, 2007, 05:24:16 PM

They also forgot the original TMNT on the NES. That game was a BITCH towards the end.

And they forgot Blaster Master (NES). Also very unforgiving. And it had limited continues, was a long game, and had no save feature of any kind.

I was also going to name those two, along with Legacy of the Wizard.

The good old NES days put hair on your chest!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 06:41:57 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 22, 2007, 05:59:56 PM

I owned that game, but never beat it. Never figured out how to, honestly. Talk about no direction at all.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 06:46:07 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 22, 2007, 06:41:57 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 22, 2007, 05:59:56 PM

I owned that game, but never beat it. Never figured out how to, honestly. Talk about no direction at all.

I seem to remember just goofing around with the little family pet monster guy, since he was immune to enemy attacks.

Ooh, that reminded me of another hard game, Fester's Quest.  I didn't know what the hell I was doing with that game.  And every time I upgraded my weapon to max, I would accidentally grab the downgrade pill that brought it back down a level.  Evil game.
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 08:42:30 PM »

I found Megaman I quite difficult also.
A neighbour showed me that despite the seemingly uselessness of of the bosses weapons you acquire when you use them on common foes...they actually work quite good on other bosses. I kept trying to kill all of them with the default blaster up until then!  retard icon_lol

Ninja Gaiden...yeah, that was difficult...damn you Malice Four!

Solomons Key, I don't think I ever figured out all of those rooms, too bad I didn't have a stick that could break or build blocks like that in real life though.

Breakthru...also difficult...I don't think I got to the end of that one either.

Rambo..I remember something about an attacking helicopter...and the game sucking.
I'm pretty sure I beat the helicopter, but I can't remember if that was the end of the game or not.
I probably just remember it as difficult because it was difficult.....to keep playing.

Renegade...Very difficult. Did not finish...or come close. Give me more than punch, kick, jumpkick!
Ugh, monotony.

Rygar...Difficult, but I finished the game somehow. For some reason I remember the game giving me the chills, I can't remember if it was the music, those gross rolling bugs or the overall darkness of alot of the game, but I don't want to go back to find out.  icon_redface

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 10:49:18 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 22, 2007, 04:27:00 PM

Once again they get it wrong.  Everyone knows that the push from Bloody Malth to the last boss in the original Ninja Gaiden is the #1 toughest game.  Goddamned bats and birds...

the original NES Ninja Gaiden still stands as one of my all-time favorite games, but it is ridiculously tough...have to mix memorizing the enemies patterns with split second timing (and a little luck) to get past a lot of areas near the end.  i was probably more excited about finally beating that game than just about any other at the time.  i just wish the sequels had been as much fun, but they just weren't the same...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 11:17:56 PM »

Contra is hard as hell. I've beaten the game but only by using the Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, B, A, Select, Start code.

I tried the game again not too long ago and couldn't get past the 2nd level.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 11:37:48 PM »

I didn't play enough of the games in the list to comment 1 way or another. I'm glad F-Zero GX is in the list in the top 5 because it was brutal to beat. And I agree that the 1st Ninja Gaiden for XBox should be in the list and ranked higher.

I also think that the Genma Onimusha for XBox should be in this list. I know it's recognized as a real challenge because all the gamers in the local video game stores and rental outlets are amazed that I beat it.  icon_wink
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 11:45:34 PM »

R-type , doesn't that go for pretty any sidescrolling shooter ever ? Afair all of them were hard as hell.
I spent weeks just getting to level 3 in Project-X (never got any further).

A bit off topic, but I seem to remember a lot of games for (s)nes/amiga/c64/sega that
were downright impossible to play because they were insanely hard. So it's hard to make a top10
since there were tons of evil games that would make a 10 year old break his joypad/joystick slywink
Maybe I just sucked smile
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:47:15 PM by Pong » Logged
JasonConan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 03:42:33 AM »

Oof, you hit it right there on the head KD.  Ninja Gaiden.  I got that for my birthday or something and played it non stop and was NEVER able to finish it.  It really bothered me too.  The stupid hawks and stuff were nuts, but could be memorized.  That last battle you had to fight your controlled Father, Jaquio, and then the damned Demon right in a row with the same life.  It was insane.  I finally got my revenge and beat them all using an emulator a few years ago.  I'd save my place every few seconds and be able to save enough life to get through them all.  Eat that Ninja Gaiden!  ninja2

All this talk about NES has me thinking back.  Did anyone else go to the Nintendo World Championships they had back in the eighties?  I remember they were demoing all the new games and had like dozens of gameboys and Nintendos set up so people could play them.  Ninja Gaiden II was one of the ones you could play.

I think Super Mario Brothers 3 was also available.  I wanted that game so bad I physically ached.  I probably could have used more friends back then....heh.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 05:44:37 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 22, 2007, 11:37:48 PM

I didn't play enough of the games in the list to comment 1 way or another. I'm glad F-Zero GX is in the list in the top 5 because it was brutal to beat. And I agree that the 1st Ninja Gaiden for XBox should be in the list and ranked higher.

I don't think they're talking about the first version of NG on the Xbox. They're talking about the old school NES version. The NG: Black game on IGN's list was on the xbox, and was harder than it's first iteration. Neither of the Xbox versions compares to the old nintendo ones for sheer hair pulling insane dififculty though.

Personally.. Ninja Gaiden (NES) should have been one and I think Battletoads should have been #2. That game was soul-crushingly hard as well.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 06:26:07 AM »

Ninja Gaiden Black had the pussy option available to it, ergo it shouldn't even qualify for this list. The original? You'll take your limited continues, your insane difficulty levels and the need for a hell of a lot of luck right from the start, and you will like it!

I definitely agree that Contra should be on the list alongside BattleToads and Mega Man but there have to be harder games than those.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 06:30:00 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 23, 2007, 06:26:07 AM

Ninja Gaiden Black had the pussy option available to it, ergo it shouldn't even qualify for this list. The original? You'll take your limited continues, your insane difficulty levels and the need for a hell of a lot of luck right from the start, and you will like it!

Hell, I couldn't make it past the first boss the first time I rented the first version of Ninja Gaiden.  I bet the dev's used cheats codes to beat the game when they were making sure evrything worked.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 02:11:06 PM »

but there have to be harder games than those.

There is. There's one SNES (I think) game that never made it out of Japan that was basically voted hardest game ever made. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 05:37:35 PM »

I found blaster master to be some of the most fun, yet most infuriating game I ever played.

I also thought mega man 1 was almost impossible, but I didn't find out about that cheat until well after I was done playing it.
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2007, 06:15:25 AM »

Hmmm...I've heard a lot that Chakan - The Forever Man, for the SEGA Genesis was one mutha of a hard game. Any comments?

smile

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2007, 02:42:19 PM »

Quote from: MrDuck on March 24, 2007, 06:15:25 AM

Hmmm...I've heard a lot that Chakan - The Forever Man, for the SEGA Genesis was one mutha of a hard game. Any comments?

smile

Chakan was pretty brutal.  I remember playing that and having a pretty rough time of it - just can't remember the specifics.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2007, 07:33:58 PM »

if you're referring to the original NG for xbox and not the NES game, don't forget that NG:B doesn't just have an easier option...it also has an extra difficulty level at the top end.  think 'Ninja Dog' is too easy?  beat the game on lower difficulty levels and unlock the ridiculously hard option that goes above and beyond the challenge of the original version.  after that, give the missions a try...then come back and say that Black is easier than the original icon_twisted

*Gamertag - disarm78*
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2007, 07:48:29 PM »

Tetris is really hard to beat.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2007, 08:02:39 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 24, 2007, 07:48:29 PM

Tetris is really hard to beat.

i'll never forget how good it felt to beat Tetris' level 9-5 on the original Gameboy version...got to see all those little musicians dance to Tchaikovsky, then watched a russian space shuttle take off as "Congratulations" appeared on the screen icon_cool
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 08:29:56 PM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2007, 08:33:08 PM »

9-5 was the holy grail smile

When you finally beat it, you pretty much put tetris down, and found a new game to play, like rolands curse.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2007, 09:22:52 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on March 24, 2007, 08:33:08 PM

9-5 was the holy grail smile

When you finally beat it, you pretty much put tetris down, and found a new game to play, like rolands curse.

i never even considered putting the game down...just switched over to marathon mode and tried to set a new high score.  it's been a few years, but i seem to remember getting my personal best up a little over 300k.  i was always addicted to Tetris enough that i also played the hell out of the N64 version...good times icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2007, 03:10:44 PM »

Quote from: disarm on March 24, 2007, 07:33:58 PM

if you're referring to the original NG for xbox and not the NES game, don't forget that NG:B doesn't just have an easier option...it also has an extra difficulty level at the top end.  think 'Ninja Dog' is too easy?  beat the game on lower difficulty levels and unlock the ridiculously hard option that goes above and beyond the challenge of the original version.  after that, give the missions a try...then come back and say that Black is easier than the original icon_twisted

Yup, it was this aspect of Black that got me confused in my earlier post; I thought the original XBox version had that feature. I never played the NES game and I'm not sure I'll be up for the frustration if it ever releases on VC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: