http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 03:46:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too many games not enough money  (Read 985 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2010, 04:35:42 AM »

Wow are we in a glut or what? Or is it I just dont have enough cash and it just feels like a glut. Or both? I put $10 down on Mass Effect 2 today. then I realized I still dont own Dragon Age. then while looking at it I see a box for the upcoming Biochock 2. I go to the counter to ask about prices and the guy in front of me is trying to pre buy Star Trek Online. these are all games I want frown

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 04:51:56 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 07, 2010, 04:35:42 AM

Wow are we in a glut or what? Or is it I just dont have enough cash and it just feels like a glut. Or both? I put $10 down on Mass Effect 2 today. then I realized I still dont own Dragon Age. then while looking at it I see a box for the upcoming Biochock 2. I go to the counter to ask about prices and the guy in front of me is trying to pre buy Star Trek Online. these are all games I want frown

This is exactly why I'm sticking to my resolution of buying one game at a time.. and only what I know I will play. There's just too much good stuff out there.. and not enough time to enjoy it properly. My advice--Take your time. Pick the game you want to play most and give it the most attention. Then pick the next after. No sense buying hundreds of dollars of games you won't play for months or even years.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 05:29:07 AM »

Yes, otherwise you end up like me. I had Pirates of the Burning Sea sitting unplayed for nearly 1 1/2 years. It only took me about a week of trying it (there's nothing wrong with it, just didn't grab me) to realize I never should've bought it in the first place much less let it rot on my computer desk all that time.  smirk

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 05:39:12 AM »

Too many games not enough money

nope, don't have that problem.  got ME2 for both the 360 and PC on pre-order, thinking about grabbing Darksiders and Bayonetta for the 360, got the new STALKER game, AvP, Splinter Cell Conviction, Bad Company 2, and Bioshock 2 coming up within the next 2 months; those are just the major releases.  I'm also thinking of buying a Wii again since there's a bunch of games now that I want to play on it plus the new Zelda is coming this year.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:05:34 AM »

ME2 is the only game I'm getting in January, so I'm not feeling too overwhelmed.  We'll see about Bioshock 2, but I have my doubts at this point.  Star Trek Online is not on my radar at all right now.  So the next thing might be the Dragon Age expansion, but that's months away even if it is released on time.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 09:07:45 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on January 07, 2010, 04:51:56 AM

Quote from: Daehawk on January 07, 2010, 04:35:42 AM

This is exactly why I'm sticking to my resolution of buying one game at a time.. and only what I know I will play. There's just too much good stuff out there.. and not enough time to enjoy it properly. My advice--Take your time. Pick the game you want to play most and give it the most attention. Then pick the next after. No sense buying hundreds of dollars of games you won't play for months or even years.

Same with me, except for when Steam has those ridiculously low bargain basement sales where I know it basically will never go any lower.  I don't feel too bad about a $4.99 game sitting on my computer for a couple of months or years.  My problem isn't too little money (although it might be if I had Daehawk's lack of control) but rather too little time
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 02:27:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 07, 2010, 05:39:12 AM

Too many games not enough money

nope, don't have that problem. 

Me either, but I do have the problem of too many games, not enough time. I have Gears of War 2, Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 on the shelf completely untouched with Mass Effect 2 pre-ordered. There are a bunch of other games in the backlog, those are just the most shocking. slywink Oh and I still haven't finished Gears of War, Uncharted or Assassin's Creed. I got Brutal Legend last month and traded it away after a few hours because it didn't grab me and I don't have time for games that don't grab me.

Thank god or whatever deity for goozex, it is saving me a metric ton of money on all these games I don't play. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »

one thing that could be said about Ceekay, he's never humble Tongue
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 03:39:58 PM »

Not enough time is my problem as well.  Responsability is a bitch! 

morlac00 on PSN
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 07:02:56 PM »

This is an exceptionally good month for new releases.  I don't remember the last time we had such a strong line up of new releases in Jan-Feb.  Normally if I have several new games, one will pull me in more than the rest, and it will be easy for me to choose.  With Bayonetta, Darksiders and Assassins Creed 2, all of them are great games, I just have to pick one and stay focused.  When ME2 hits the stores, that will most likely trump everything for me.

It's both time and money for me...especially with a newborn in the house.     
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »

Another thing for me is my eyes. 15 years ago when i started this PC gaming thing I had a 14" crt monitor. I could sit back in my chair and read everything fine Now i have a 20" lcd and I have to get about 4 inches from it and squint to read this board or any net site. Some games are like that also due to text. A lot of new stuff have voice and those are great. But now days i squint and still cant read stuff. My eye ache and water. I get frustrated by it all and just dont feel like sitting here sometimes. Old days I would play from 7pm - 7am. Now im a spurt player. Play some, quit, play some, quit. I dont enjoy it like I once did..my addiction is lessening I suppose. But lordy I still love it.

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 07:21:47 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 07, 2010, 09:07:45 AM

Same with me, except for when Steam has those ridiculously low bargain basement sales where I know it basically will never go any lower.  I don't feel too bad about a $4.99 game sitting on my computer for a couple of months or years.  My problem isn't too little money (although it might be if I had Daehawk's lack of control) but rather too little time

This.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 08:59:36 PM »

I need more time as well...

I spent very little money getting a ton of cool Steam stuff, like the above, and I got some nice board games and Wii games for X-mas. But I also have a major career defining work to write... so that kinda sucks the time.

Bael
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 09:57:42 PM »

I no longer have any kind of dilemma concerning what to buy and what not to buy. My gaming addiction is no more. I still love the MMO genre but the total lack of creative imagination in the last 2 or 3 years with them has left me without much to play at all.
I get the new MMO's that get released but within 2 months(usually less) I'm done with them.

I use to also be very addicted to flight sims. But that also has dried up for me like a rotten tomato.

You would think this would be a good scenario..leaving me more time for other pursuits. But being at home all day I wish I still had the enthusiasm for PC gaming like I use to. If not just to pass the time.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 02:29:08 AM »

I've beaten the "too many games dilemma" -talk about the paradox of choice and embarassment of riches - by just making a note in my To Buy list and then leaving it at that. I no longer jump at bargains, even unreal, totally awesome insane bargains, unless I plan to play the damn game upon arrival of said game. So I have a huge list, and I'm cool with that.

I haven't bought many games these last two years but what I've bought, I've played. I have at least thirty games on the list that I know I'd love to try but a game's not a bargain unless I actually play it - so that list will likely grow as I don't make time for 'em anymore. But with digital downloads, I know that a future me can buy them and be disappointed later.

Making procrastination work for me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:34:13 AM by JohnathanStrange » Logged

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 07:33:14 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 07, 2010, 07:19:56 PM

Another thing for me is my eyes. 15 years ago when i started this PC gaming thing I had a 14" crt monitor. I could sit back in my chair and read everything fine Now i have a 20" lcd and I have to get about 4 inches from it and squint to read this board or any net site. Some games are like that also due to text. A lot of new stuff have voice and those are great. But now days i squint and still cant read stuff. My eye ache and water. I get frustrated by it all and just dont feel like sitting here sometimes. Old days I would play from 7pm - 7am. Now im a spurt player. Play some, quit, play some, quit. I dont enjoy it like I once did..my addiction is lessening I suppose. But lordy I still love it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you need glasses.
Or, if you're cheap like me, just grab some cheap reading glasses. Those will hold you over until your eyes get really bad.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 08:12:34 PM »

Its not a magnifying problem its a ghosting problem frown

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: