http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 01:40:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too late for a PS3?  (Read 919 times)
Gromit
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2011, 12:55:59 AM »

I'm considering purchasing a PS3 in lieu of upgrading my computer rig.  Basically, it' a cheaper option at this point.  I can comfortably drop $350 right now, but not $1350.  I haven't really kept up on any new console developments so I'm not sure if a PS3 purchase is a wise move if there's something else in the channel soon.

Is a PS3 purchase a good move this far into its life?
KC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 01:07:24 AM »

It all depends on which games you want to play.  If you are really into the PS3 exclusives, go ahead and get a PS3.  If you are into multiplatform titles, I would get an Xbox 360.

stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 02:58:56 AM »

No....please go ahead and purchase a PS3, so they can finally announce the PS4 I've been waiting on......
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 03:27:19 AM »

there is a rumoured price cut in August,so maybe wait awhile see if it happens

http://www.1up.com/news/ps3-price-drop-announced-august

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 03:54:51 AM »

There doesn't seem to be any new version of either console coming any kind of soon... unless you count rumors of an XBox720 being announced next year.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:00:49 AM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 04:13:22 AM »

Heck no, there's tons of great games for the PS3, go for it!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 05:38:44 AM »

Both companies are working on their next gen systems. But those are 2-3 years away.

The good thing about buying this late is that you get a lot of great titles for cheap, and then if you liked those you get the third sequels later.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 01:17:48 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 28, 2011, 04:13:22 AM

Heck no, there's tons of great games for the PS3, go for it!

Agreed.  I just got mine about 6 months ago.  It's a helluva good machine.  use mine for Blueray/DVD, media streaming and games.  I just loaded up on older games at the B2 get 1 free deal at Gamestop.  More than I know what to do with now.

morlac00 on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 01:56:05 PM »

Microsoft just this week said they thought the 360 was halfway through it's life cycle.  icon_eek 

Of course, that could be smoke and mirrors.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 02:08:13 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 28, 2011, 01:56:05 PM

Microsoft just this week said they thought the 360 was halfway through it's life cycle.  icon_eek 

If they keep up what they've been doing for the last two E3's, the 360 will be completely irrelevant in a few years. Even GameTrailers (which seems to give the 360 higher scores just for being the 360) made fun of Microsoft's lackluster E3 presentation this year.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 02:31:19 PM »

it wouldn't surprise me,still doesn't mean the next Xbox will wait until then,kinda like when the PS3 was released the PS2 went on for a good few years(is it still going?)....i would expect MS to kill off the 360 half way through the 720/nextbox/xbox3 life if we are talking another 6 years,as i think they have learnt after killing off Xbox 1 prematurely(IMO)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 28, 2011, 02:08:13 PM

If they keep up what they've been doing for the last two E3's, the 360 will be completely irrelevant in a few years. Even GameTrailers (which seems to give the 360 higher scores just for being the 360) made fun of Microsoft's lackluster E3 presentation this year.

Frankly, E3 wasn't very exciting this year. Hell, I'm going to start a thread about it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 03:09:35 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 28, 2011, 02:31:19 PM

it wouldn't surprise me,still doesn't mean the next Xbox will wait until then,kinda like when the PS3 was released the PS2 went on for a good few years(is it still going?)....i would expect MS to kill off the 360 half way through the 720/nextbox/xbox3 life if we are talking another 6 years,as i think they have learnt after killing off Xbox 1 prematurely(IMO)

That's a good point, mo.  I hadn't thought of it that way.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 28, 2011, 05:38:44 AM

Both companies are working on their next gen systems. But those are 2-3 years away.

The good thing about buying this late is that you get a lot of great titles for cheap, and then if you liked those you get the third sequels later.

My thoughts, exactly! I finally got a next-gen (well, current gen) console last Thanksgiving. Picked up the PS3. Don't regret my purchase. I was never much of a fan of Xbox exclusives like 'Halo', 'Fable' and 'Gears of War'. Many of my favorite franchises from the PS2 are carried over to the PS3. The new franchises seem very fun (Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, inFamous) and I'm now just starting with the first entry in those series. Just picked 'inFamous' for free from PSN.. and I'm tracking down the first 'Uncharted'. When it was first launched, I didn't pick up a PS3 because it just didn't have the library of games, but it does now. Tons of fun to be had. And with new entries of well-developed franchises coming this fall (Uncharted 3, Assassin's Creed 3: Revelations, Skirim, and others) it just seems like the right time to jump in. And don't forget about re-releases of PS2 classics in HD, like 'Ico', 'Shadow Of The Colossus', the 'Metal Gear' and 'Zone of Ender' games. Go for it!!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 04:43:55 PM »

PR_GMR, your statement implies Assassin's Creed is a PS3 exclusive. Just to clarify: it is not. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 28, 2011, 04:43:55 PM

PR_GMR, your statement implies Assassin's Creed is a PS3 exclusive. Just to clarify: it is not. slywink

Yeah, it's not. But, correct me if Im wrong, but the only XBox exclusives are 'Fable', 'Gears Of War' and 'Halo' games. I think that's the bottom line. If you care for those franchises, get the Xbox. If you don't, everything else is on the PS3.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 04:55:13 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 28, 2011, 04:48:19 PM

Quote from: Purge on June 28, 2011, 04:43:55 PM

Yeah, it's not. But, correct me if Im wrong, but the only XBox exclusives are 'Fable', 'Gears Of War' and 'Halo' games. I think that's the bottom line. If you care for those franchises, get the Xbox. If you don't, everything else is on the PS3.
Console exclusives are pretty thin on both sides of the fence, IMHO. You've left out some big names like Forza and PGR, as well as Crackdown (2 was kind of short-lived fun, although the MP is still worth playing).

To see a complete list, head over to Wikipedia.

and FWIW, I prefer Kinect to Move, period. They haven't exploited it fully, and I think (just like back before Halo) that a decent set of common "controls" hasn't been developed for certain game genres. After Halo for XB1 came out, everyone and their dog used the same control scheme. Before that FPS's seemed to experiment a whole lot.

Familiar and expected result is more important in gaining market adoption than new-and-innovative. This is the only reason why the Move has been moving IMHO - fact is, it's an HD WiiMote.

As for pure console gaming, the experience on Live has always been better than PSN, and Microsoft has yet to give away my information.  disgust
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:59:25 PM by Purge » Logged

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 06:22:21 PM »

I did just that myself instead of upgrading my computer, a few months ago. Considering it's behind in quite a few generations, I'd have to replace nearly everything making it too expensive, so I chose the PS3. Personally, I find the PS3 exclusives are better and there's more of a variety of them.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:27:16 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 07:39:52 PM »

I concur that the exclusives list is better variety - but overall there are titles I enjoy on both.

If you plan on streaming video without having to jump through hoops, go PS3.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 03:58:55 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on June 28, 2011, 06:22:21 PM

Personally, I find the PS3 exclusives are better and there's more of a variety of them.

yep, same here. 

I cant imagine not being able to play God of War.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on June 29, 2011, 03:58:55 AM

Personally, I find the PS3 exclusives are better and there's more of a variety of them.

yep, same here.  

For me it's God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm, Resistance, Killzone, the upcoming team Ico game, and the upcoming Sly Cooper game. Those are the exclusive I like the most. I would trade Halo away for most of those. Not to mention Atlus seams to release their better games on the PS3, probably because they are Japanese imports only being developed for the PS3.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 01:51:41 PM »

There have also been some fantastic XBLA exclusives too. (timed, most are available everywhere).

IIRC, Castle Crashers was an XBLA only title for a while.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 02:33:56 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 29, 2011, 12:49:47 PM

yep, same here.  

For me it's God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm, Resistance, Killzone, the upcoming team Ico game, and the upcoming Sly Cooper game. Those are the exclusive I like the most. I would trade Halo away for most of those. Not to mention Atlus seams to release their better games on the PS3, probably because they are Japanese imports only being developed for the PS3.

Not Uncharted!??!
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 02:42:11 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 29, 2011, 02:33:56 PM

yep, same here.  

Not Uncharted!??!

Uncharted1 and 2 were great, and we have had a blast on little big planet 1 + 2..

But my son and I have a giant poster of Kratos over the TV set... 

Playstation 3 has the throne at my house.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »

I love infamous (oddly enough, I just played through the first one as part of the welcome back/oops we gave away your info package). I've finished GOW1 and am 1/2 through GOW2 and just stalled out.

Uncharted never entertained me much. Something about bullet-proof wife-beaters and putting two clips of ammo into someone just annoyed me.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 03:22:41 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 29, 2011, 02:33:56 PM

yep, same here.  

Not Uncharted!??!

Wow, Can't believe I forgot that series. But yes definitely Uncharted. I Also forgot MLB The Show. Just goes to show you how good Sony's exclusives are.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 04:40:29 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 28, 2011, 03:09:35 PM

That's a good point, mo.  I hadn't thought of it that way.

Yup, I didn't buy my PS2 until Fall 2005 and there's still games for it I want to play, but haven't yet. If you consider the PS2 was the weaker of the 3 consoles spec-wise last gen yet had enough legs to stroll into the next gen, the PS3 should run that much farther. I'm still pissed about MS's aggresive deep-sixing of the Xbox1 after just 4 years. I agree that it looks like MS learned something from that foolishness.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 04:54:43 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 29, 2011, 04:40:29 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 28, 2011, 03:09:35 PM

Microsoft just this week said they thought the 360 was halfway through it's life cycle.  icon_eek  

That's a good point, mo.  I hadn't thought of it that way.

Yup, I didn't buy my PS2 until Fall 2005 and there's still games for it I want to play, but haven't yet. If you consider the PS2 was the weaker of the 3 consoles spec-wise last gen yet had enough legs to stroll into the next gen, the PS3 should run that much farther. I'm still pissed about MS's aggresive deep-sixing of the Xbox1 after just 4 years. I agree that it looks like MS learned something from that foolishness.

Not to stray too far off topic, but MS put a whole lot of effort to work around the hardware limitations they were put under due to the whole Nvidia fiasco. I don't think they wanted to "Deep-Six" the Xbox. Simply put, they needed to move their product developers to the new platform since Nvidia stopped producing units mid-2005 (there was a very big lawsuit - Nvidia was holding MS over a barrel, as it were, and MS won the suit).

What would you have done? As it stands, MS maintains that the 360 will be current and supported into 2015 (at the earliest). Given that they no longer are under the same constraints, I doubt we'll see the backwards compatibility issues that was a major bump in the Xbox/360 transition.

Also, any PS3s made in the past 3 years are not capable playing PS2 games, so it's kind of a moot point.

(only the original 20/60s did it w. hardware, and only the first run 80GB mfgr'd before Aug 2008 did software emulation)

If the system is for multimedia streaming, I'd go PS3 all the way. If it is for games, both systems play most games well. If it's for online play, I'd swing 360. For controllers, both have rumble, both have decent D pads. The PS3 needs those addons to make the L2/R2 better, but other than that, it's all personal preference.

The PS3 exclusive titles are less in number, but higher grade in more cases. If you like racing, then I'd be looking for Forza over GT5 (esp. with a new title coming out later this year).

If its shooters, games like Killzone and Haze aren't compelling, and Socom has never been MY cup'o'tea. The Halo franchise needs to stop playing the same damned tune though - there have been incremental advancements, but it is no longer "Combat Evolved", it is "Combat Status Quo".

R&C doesn't compel me, and I'd rather play a Wii title like Kirby's Epic Yarn over LBP.

Over system stability, we've had the PS3 compromised by both hackers and bugs (remember the clock issue?). The older 360 had heat issues.

It's a 50/50 split,but the OP asked about PS3 over PC.

Frankly, I'd go PC over either console except if the PC is good enough EXCEPT for games.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:02:06 PM by Purge » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 05:19:56 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 29, 2011, 04:54:43 PM

The PS3 exclusive titles are less in number, but higher grade in more cases.

Unless you're counting XBLA games (which really shouldn't count for the most part, with a few rare exceptions), that's simply not true. The PS3 has more exclusives than the 360, and they are more varied too. It seems that Microsoft isn't willing to gamble on anything that isn't completely mainstream (Kinect notwithstanding), which means most of their exclusives are pretty basic shooters.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 05:28:25 PM »

What would you have done?

Not have been so inept in the 1st place when they designed the console and planned its life cycle. Come on, we're talking about MS here, 1 of the richest company, if not the, at that the time. If they got themselves into a totally screwed up situation with one of their major component manufacturers (Nvidia) IMO they have nothing but themselves to blame. At that time the industry had already gone through 3 console gen's since Ninty's industry reboot, so it's not like there wasn't proven business models. As well, it wasn't so much that MS stopped making the  Xbox1, but that they actually launched a campaign to dissuade dev studios from continuing coding for already under development Xbox1 games. Sorry, but you can't convince me that's an honorable approach to your fan-base.

[Edit] Back on topic. Sony proved with the PS2 that even a meager console can have good legs, and proved MS wrong in the process. So on that note - by all means get a PS3 now, there's still likely lots of good games to come.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:47:42 PM by kronovan » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 06:17:21 PM »

You do realize what Nvidia was doing was in direct breach of contract? When your landlord starts stealing your cash register, it's time to move even if it inconveniences some of your customers. Given the work they put in to get backwards compatibility in, as a customer of both platforms I am satisfied. If you are not, we're going to have to agree to disagree on that point.

Excluding a range of games based on disk vs download is a bit silly, no? Exclusive is exclusive. Some of the games I've played on XBLA blow away full-title games by a country mile. TBH, there are some fantastic exclusive titles on PSN as well (including Flower). Also, timed exclusive matter during their period. For instance, if Skyrim was exclusive like Oblivion for a long period, would that not sway you?

Explain to me how 3 in each series is "varied"? Did you look at the list of titles in the link I provided above? I'd put forth that MS has done much more experimenting, whereas PS3's devs have done more refinement and have produced better quality. Perhaps you missed that- it's a compliment - I'm pointing out where your argument is flawed, not that the 360 is necessarily better.

I am counting games based on platform.  I pulled the list of games in the wiki into a spreadsheet, and even without shrinking games down to "Series" instead of individual instances, the numbers are 194 (360) vs 100 (PS3). Those are retail titles, not PSN / XBLA to the best of my knowledge. Almost a 2:1 ratio. I don't see any way around the numbers.

Considering that most 1st party titles on either system are surpassed by, or at least easily replaced with, cross-platform games, it's not like you're missing a ton of gaming either way you go.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:24:01 PM by Purge » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 06:25:09 PM »

Yes, enough of this.

as I stated above:

Frankly, I'd go PC over a console except where the PC is good enough for all other tasks EXCEPT games.

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 07:40:35 PM »

Get a PS3. I've never regretted my decision.  icon_biggrin

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 07:03:32 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 29, 2011, 05:19:56 PM

The PS3 exclusive titles are less in number, but higher grade in more cases.

Unless you're counting XBLA games (which really shouldn't count for the most part, with a few rare exceptions), that's simply not true. The PS3 has more exclusives than the 360, and they are more varied too. It seems that Microsoft isn't willing to gamble on anything that isn't completely mainstream (Kinect notwithstanding), which means most of their exclusives are pretty basic shooters.

Yeah, the feeling I get from the X-Box exclusives is that most look and feel like generic shooters, which is fine if that's what you like, but if someone likes more variety in their exclusives, then the PS3 is where it's at. I think Uncharted 2 for instance is more original than any of the X-Box exclusives.

And what's with the GT5 hate? It was one of my first games I got for my PS3 and I love it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »

It isn't hate. I just didn't enjoy it as much as other racing games (including multi-platform games). Admittedly, I am not a sim-driving junkie. I still miss Rallisport Challenge (esp. the ice racing - as a Winnipeger I rocked at those races).   

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 08:22:40 PM »

Kmart currently has the 160GB version on sale for $100 off. There is absolutely no reason to miss an opportunity like that if you don't own a PS3.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 08:24:50 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on June 30, 2011, 08:22:40 PM

Kmart currently has the 160GB version on sale for $100 off. There is absolutely no reason to miss an opportunity like that if you don't own a PS3.

I concur.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: