http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:51:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too Human  (Read 1809 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2006, 08:06:59 AM »

IGN has a short preview for Silicon Knights' (Eternal Darkness) XBox360 game Too Human, and there's a preview in the new EGM.  The game sounds amazing, with a story based on a mix of Norse mythology and Nietzchean philosophy, and game design inspired by Shigeru Miyamoto and Hideo Kojima  :shock: The screenshots in the magazine look amazing, the developers also promise deep character customization.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 03:00:05 PM »

yes,definetly on my must own list,when it gets relesed.....this trilogy of games looks like a kind of matrix,but that hasnt put me off :lol: ...interesting as the article mentions bladerunner,as i love that film

one thing is,how are they to release the games,one a year?.....i dont think i could put up with an ending as bad as halo2s and have to wait to know what the hell is going on.....i am presumming and hoping that they are doing what peter jackson did with the lord of the rings,and creating all three of them at the same time...so then they dont lose any of its originallity

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 03:10:24 PM »

I'm definitely interested but I have some major warning flags going off.  I've enjoyed most of SK's catalog to varying degrees but I've never seen anything from them that leads me to believe that they are up to the task of pulling off something on this scale.  In particular, setting up anything as a "trilogy" from the outset is dangerous. If the game underperforms, if certain creative personnel leave, etc then you might end up with an unsatisfying and inconclusive experience.  Hell, wasn't Eternal Darkness supposed to be the first in a series?  

At the bare minium, I would expect anything of this scope to almost a shoe-in for delayed release.

The whole thing smacks of the ambition behind Advent Rising.  Admittedly SK is a much more experienced developer but I hope I'm wrong and they really deliver here.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 06:24:46 PM »

My thoughts:
1) Great Title.  I sure hope the Uncanny Valley is addressed in this game.  smile

2) When reading that preview, it just so happens The Flaming Lips 'One More Robot - Sympathy 3000-21' was playing.  Talk about perfect timing.

"One more robot learns to be something more than A machine"

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 02:50:43 AM »

I'm most interested in the 2-4 player co-op over system link that they mentioned.  Unfortunately, they say they can only support 1 person per console, but who knows, they may find enough extra power to put another player on screen.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 07:11:34 PM »

Worthplaying has a bunch of new screenshots here.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 06:00:37 AM »

More new screenshots at Voodoo Extreme.  Just beautiful.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 02:08:38 PM »

The trailer on marketplace is pretty awful.

I have a major disconnect with this game- what I've read in articles sounds really amazing, but the videos and aesthetics seem like a completely different game to me.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 04:16:28 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
The trailer on marketplace is pretty awful.

I have a major disconnect with this game- what I've read in articles sounds really amazing, but the videos and aesthetics seem like a completely different game to me.

I agree with your second paragraph.   I wouldn't call the trailer on marketplace awful but I think it does lack in 1 dept....a sufficient elapsed length of time gameplay sequence.  I think there is gameplay footage in it, it's just all chopped up and confusing.

- shaggy

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 04:30:31 PM »

The gameplay seems to have a lot of slowdown at this point, too.

This whole thing is smelling of Advent Rising to me.  The concept, the trilogy thing, the slowdown.  I liked AR, but I'll be suprised if we see Part 2 of the trilogy ever.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 06:07:49 PM »

To third those disappointed comments, I read a magazine article a while back on it and the story and screenshots looked great so I was excited to see the trailer.

But, the trailer looks like it was developed for the original Xbox and is not a next generation production. Gameplay animation was poor and seemed choppy. Now, I'm not interested any longer.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 08:31:27 PM »

The annimation does look a bit off, but I'm praying that with all the time and effort they are putting into this, that the game will shine when released.  It wouldn't surprise me to see it delayed ala GRAW.  It worked out pretty well for that game.

While Too Human has dissapointed me a bit with the trailer, everything i've seen so far for my other must buy title Mass Effect looks and sounds splendid.  IGN had some hands on time with it and came away very impressed, but it's Bioware, so what else do you expect.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 08:44:03 PM »

Yeah, anyone see the live demo on G4's E3 coverage yesterday? The game looks like it plays a lot like Untold Legends. The graphics weren't exactrly next-gen looking either.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 08:48:01 PM »

Went over to a friend's to watch G4 and talk gaming...

They had a developer talk about the game while Morgan Webb played it live and it seriously looked awful.  Nothing like the "trailers" that had been posted before it.  I was pretty damn shocked to see how choppy it ran - and it didn't even look good!  The combat looked wonky.  After the segment Adam and Morgan were like, "And let's send it back to you, Kevin, what did you think of the game?" and he was like, "*pause*...swaa-eeet..."

TheMissingLink on PSN
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 09:33:51 PM »

It seems like an interesting premise and certainly has potential, but what the hell is up with Silicon Knights designing games for one system and finally getting around to releasing them a generation or more later?

Eternal Darkness was designed for the N64, got scrapped, and finally re-created on the GCN.

Too Human was designed for the PS1, got scrapped, the XBox, got scrapped, and now is slated for the 360.

All this making and remaking makes me worry about the quality of the end product bigtime.  Of course, Eternal Darkness turned out pretty damn good, so maybe there's hope for Too Human.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 07:46:39 PM »

Yeah, so, it looks we probably won't be saying the game until the end of this generation now- 1Up has verified rumors that Silicon Knights have ditched Unreal Engine 3.0 in favor of creating their own rendering engine from scratch and I can only imagine the kind of delay that will impose....

Story here

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152834
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 08:11:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 14, 2006, 07:46:39 PM

Yeah, so, it looks we probably won't be saying the game until the end of this generation now- 1Up has verified rumors that Silicon Knights have ditched Unreal Engine 3.0 in favor of creating their own rendering engine from scratch and I can only imagine the kind of delay that will impose....

Story here

These people are almost as bad as 3D Realms...

What games have Silicon Knights released, aside from Eternal Darkness?  Seems hard to believe they're still in business...

Also, making their own engine, LOL.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 08:21:39 PM »

They also did Metal Gear Solid:The Twin Snakes for the Cube and Legend of Kain (the first one w/ overhead view) on the PS1. 
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 08:29:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 14, 2006, 08:21:39 PM

They also did Metal Gear Solid:The Twin Snakes for the Cube and Legend of Kain (the first one w/ overhead view) on the PS1. 
Hard to believe they're still propped up on the profit from Twin Snakes (since I think it's safe to assume the Legacy of Kain cash is long gone by now)...

As someone mentioned on that 1UP link, Silicon Knights is fast becoming the new Rare.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 09:02:25 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 14, 2006, 08:29:01 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 14, 2006, 08:21:39 PM

Hard to believe they're still propped up on the profit from Twin Snakes (since I think it's safe to assume the Legacy of Kain cash is long gone by now)...

As someone mentioned on that 1UP link, Silicon Knights is fast becoming the new Rare.

And Like Rare I think SK is overestimating their talent as a developer.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 10:37:47 PM »

Well they are certainly intent on trying to make a good game.  Good for them.  The E3 embarrassment has to sting like hell, though.

I am sure SK has some good talent, but ditching UE3.  Um.  Hey, it's your studio...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2006, 12:20:02 AM »

I wish they would ditch Too Human and freaking make Eternal Darkness 2! I would buy whatever console it was an exclusive for, no questions asked!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 12:51:34 AM »

Well, Rare's problem was that it didn't know what to do with their next gen titles.  The platform shift certainly didn't help.

Take Kameo for instance.  What could have been a nice release day kids title turned into a strange glom of kiddy artwork and sentiments, combined with overly complex warrior changing system, and too much emphasis on the mediocre combat portion of the game.  They should have kept it as a kids game.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 01:09:43 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 15, 2006, 12:51:34 AM

Well, Rare's problem was that it didn't know what to do with their next gen titles. 

SK has certainly suffered from a bit of this (at least in terms of the platform shifts).  Eternal Darkness was, of course, originally an N64 title and Too Human originated as a PS1 title.

Quote from: JCC on August 15, 2006, 12:20:02 AM

I wish they would ditch Too Human and freaking make Eternal Darkness 2! I would buy whatever console it was an exclusive for, no questions asked!

Alas, Eternal Darkness sold very poorly so the likelihood of a sequel is very slim. 
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 01:24:47 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 15, 2006, 01:09:43 AM

Eternal Darkness was, of course, originally an N64 title and Too Human originated as a PS1 title.

Well that much was obvious.  Still, I wonder why they showed the PS1 version at this years E3. icon_wink

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 02:02:26 AM »

According to this Silicon Knights intends to do Eternal Darkness sequels, but I doubt we'll see them anytime soon.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 03:06:22 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 15, 2006, 02:02:26 AM

According to this Silicon Knights intends to do Eternal Darkness sequels, but I doubt we'll see them anytime soon.

Eh, I think that's Dyack talking out his ass.  I'm not even sure if SK owns the IP since Nintendo published it and, with SK currently in bed with Microsoft and ED selling poorly to begin with, I seriously doubt Nintendo (or anyone else for that matter) is going to beat down their door for a sequel.  The only way it happens is if Too Human becomes so popular that someone is willing to fund ED2 as a vanity project for them.  Yeah, I'm sure they "have things in mind" but that doesn't get the game made.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 02:10:29 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 14, 2006, 07:46:39 PM

Story here

Yeah man, that U3 engine. Just not working for Gears of War!  icon_wink Anyways, I think Too Human is either nearly vaporware or so completely redesigned and redone that it will be nothign like the original concept-and either way, the reports from the last E3 showing were fairly mediocre, were they not?
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2006, 02:32:21 PM »

"Of course, Eternal Darkness turned out pretty damn good, so maybe there's hope for Too Human."

Well i'm already confused by the new interface, lol - couldn't find the quote feature, so I changed the color instead.. retard

I agree, Eternal Darkness was one of my all-time favorite games and I would give Too Human a chance unless the reviews are bad.  nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2006, 08:01:48 PM »

Now apparently debunked. Check it out http://mst.texterity.com/mst/2006-3/?pm=2&z=fw&pvieww=1012&zin=132&u1=texterity&b=2&pg=41

A Microsoft spokesperson stated, "Silicon Knights continues to build Too Human using the Unreal Engine 3, tailoring it to fit the needs of the game and ensure the most efficient use of the technology. Rumors of Too Human experiencing production challenges that will cause massive delays are false. Too Human is progressing very well and we expect that gamers will be extremely excited with Too Human when we next show it."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 08:03:27 PM by Calvin » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2006, 08:11:39 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 15, 2006, 08:01:48 PM

Now apparently debunked. Check it out

The wording in what looks to be a different statement sent to Gamespot is interesting since it says the engine hasnt' been "completely scrapped".  I wonder if the rumor came about (which was independently verified by 1Up) because they've ditched most of UE 3.0 but are still using some of the toolsets?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2006, 09:13:30 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 15, 2006, 08:11:39 PM

Quote from: Calvin on August 15, 2006, 08:01:48 PM

Now apparently debunked. Check it out

The wording in what looks to be a different statement sent to Gamespot is interesting since it says the engine hasnt' been "completely scrapped".  I wonder if the rumor came about (which was independently verified by 1Up) because they've ditched most of UE 3.0 but are still using some of the toolsets?

Interesting Kevin, I didn't see the reworded statement, but thats certainly possible. I still can't imagine the rationale, however.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2006, 11:44:42 PM »

It probably means that they gutted some aspects of the engine and rewrote them to better suit their game.  For example, they wanted hordes of enemies on screen for some segments, the UE3 engine might not support that too well, so they may have had to change the renderer and AI routines to allow it.

This isn't too different from any other game development, though.

It's probably just some news or fan site desperate to post something and they found this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: