http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 07:18:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too Human demo coming next week  (Read 10618 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2008, 04:38:24 PM »

that review confirms TH's place in my gamefly queue and not on my wallet. 

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2008, 09:28:58 PM »

wow im surprised!

i didnt read the review - what did it hone in on?  i loved the demo and have no clue where the full game could have gone wrong to warrent a score like that (granted, mine is only a demo impression but still, ive played 6.75 games and i didnt think this was one of them - and im sort of a strict grader in that i think that most great games should be getting scores in the 8.8 - 9.2 range)

this was a game that went from "i dont care" to "my interest is piqued" and finally based on the demo to "wow im super excited and may actually purchase" (those who rag on my game renting habits know thats a compliment! smile)
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2008, 10:20:31 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on August 12, 2008, 09:28:58 PM

wow im surprised!

i didnt read the review - what did it hone in on?  i loved the demo and have no clue where the full game could have gone wrong to warrent a score like that (granted, mine is only a demo impression but still, ive played 6.75 games and i didnt think this was one of them - and im sort of a strict grader in that i think that most great games should be getting scores in the 8.8 - 9.2 range)

this was a game that went from "i dont care" to "my interest is piqued" and finally based on the demo to "wow im super excited and may actually purchase" (those who rag on my game renting habits know thats a compliment! smile)

Even if this game was great (I liked the demo as well), I don't think, given the 10 year development time and Dyack's outspokeness, that this will ever have a shot in hell of being fairly reviewed.  I say if you like it, buy it.  Use the reviews, not for the score, but to see if there are some mechanics in the game that might keep you from enjoying it.  I still plan on getting it, though I did just get the Game Informer today and should read the article.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2008, 10:23:53 PM »

This is one of those games that I wish I did like the gameplay, but the whole auto-sliding into each enemy seemed silly to me and I felt like I actually had little control over who I was hitting and how.   But man, I like the whole techno fantasy thingie.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2008, 10:32:34 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on August 12, 2008, 10:23:53 PM

This is one of those games that I wish I did like the gameplay, but the whole auto-sliding into each enemy seemed silly to me and I felt like I actually had little control over who I was hitting and how.   But man, I like the whole techno fantasy thingie.

Yeah, the sliding thing didn't really bother me at all, for some reason.  I just read the article and my only concern is poor targeting at range, though, I guess I actually did shoot some guns in the demo and didn't feel it was horrible or anything.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2008, 12:30:08 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 12, 2008, 04:10:31 PM

I have a hunch that, much like the demo comments here and elsewhere, the game reviews are going to be all over the place.  It just seems to be a polarizing game.  That said, those types of games don't often sell well, so I'll be surprised if we see the sequels that are planned.

Isn't the game basically like a Diablo action-rpg type?  Where do you get that they don't sell well, or is it not akin to Diablo at all?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2008, 01:51:04 AM »

I like the game, so I pre-ordered it.  Got my codes today for the bonus armor.  Hopefully, this will tide me over til D3....okay...yeah right  icon_razz

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2008, 03:16:34 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on August 13, 2008, 12:30:08 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 12, 2008, 04:10:31 PM

I have a hunch that, much like the demo comments here and elsewhere, the game reviews are going to be all over the place.  It just seems to be a polarizing game.  That said, those types of games don't often sell well, so I'll be surprised if we see the sequels that are planned.

Isn't the game basically like a Diablo action-rpg type?  Where do you get that they don't sell well, or is it not akin to Diablo at all?

Well, a couple of things.  Diablo sells well.  Diablo type games?  Not necessarily.  Also, that sells well on PC. 

But that's not even the point.  I think you misread my comment.  I wasn't saying Diablo-type games don't sell well.  I was saying games that are polarizing don't sell well. 

The comments about the demo and online reviewers who played a near final version have been all over the place.  The company is extremely popular, but only with core gamers, near as I can tell.  And the long wait for this means the anticipation is so high that it may never live up to it.  It seems to have fallen short for many already.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2008, 03:39:17 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 12, 2008, 10:32:34 PM

Yeah, the sliding thing didn't really bother me at all, for some reason.  I just read the article and my only concern is poor targeting at range, though, I guess I actually did shoot some guns in the demo and didn't feel it was horrible or anything.

I really enjoyed the sliding mechanic when i became acclimated to it. It started to have a strange zen-like quality to it once you had a large numbers of enemies a moderate distance from your character. With each flick of the right analog stick I was gliding around the screen effortlessly and destroying enemies at an amazing speed. The effect couldn't be recreated easily if I had to control the camera, and if my character was just running around.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2008, 04:11:49 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 13, 2008, 03:39:17 AM

Quote from: The Grue on August 12, 2008, 10:32:34 PM

I really enjoyed the sliding mechanic when i became acclimated to it. It started to have a strange zen-like quality to it once you had a large numbers of enemies a moderate distance from your character. With each flick of the right analog stick I was gliding around the screen effortlessly and destroying enemies at an amazing speed. The effect couldn't be recreated easily if I had to control the camera, and if my character was just running around.

Yeah, and then it got to the point where I realized I could just wiggle the stick without even looking at the screen and destroy 20 enemies.  That kind of lost me. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2008, 06:54:57 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on August 13, 2008, 01:51:04 AM

I like the game, so I pre-ordered it.  Got my codes today for the bonus armor.  Hopefully, this will tide me over til D3....okay...yeah right  icon_razz

It'll probably hold you over until WAR comes out  slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2008, 04:23:03 PM »

1UP just gave the game a C-.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2008, 07:05:59 AM »

IGN gave it 7.8/10, Gamespy a 2.5/5, and Gamespot scored it 5.5/10.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2008, 12:15:49 PM »

I think the success of the game is going to ride on how good the MP is.
There are few good co-op games, and people will buy lackluster affairs
like Kane and Lynch or Army of Two just because they have some co-op play.
If the MP turns out to be a blast, then I think Too Human will be strong through the holidays.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2008, 02:14:02 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 19, 2008, 07:05:59 AM

IGN gave it 7.8/10, Gamespy a 2.5/5, and Gamespot scored it 5.5/10.

icon_frown

that's too many bad reviews to justify a purchase when so many games are coming out in the next few months. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2008, 02:26:24 PM »

I refuse to give up on my techno-viking!  Of course, I was certain I wanted to play this anyway, and the demo just helped.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2008, 02:31:16 PM »

the part that really turned me off was the reference in the gamespot review to the "10 hour story".   icon_cry

i had a blast with the demo as well, but i think i'll hold off until it hits 30 bucks or less.  with reviews like this, it won't be THAT long.   icon_wink

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2008, 03:57:12 PM »

I desperately need a good new local co-op games.  My friends suck too much to play vs with me so we always do co-op (like Rainbow 6, Gears, FIFA etc).  I was hoping that this game could be the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance that 360/PS3 needs badly but the reviews are turning me off and the demo was meh.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2008, 05:30:57 PM »

According to Tom Chick the game has some hilariously bad dialogue. 

http://fidgit.com/archives/2008/08/top-10-amazing-piece-of-dialog.php

That makes me want it even more.  icon_biggrin

I am probably going to grab it despite some bad reviews.  I enjoyed the demo quite a bit.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2008, 06:42:50 PM »

Oh well... looks like more money I can save for the upcoming onslaught.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2008, 07:41:38 PM »

Does the game have local co-op? Or is co-op online only? I was thinking of getting it so my son and I could play together, but it sounds more and more like the co-op may be online only.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2008, 07:43:59 PM »

Wow, I haven't seen a game get so widespread an array of reviews in a while. The reviews are all over the map on this one.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2008, 07:58:47 PM »

Found my answer. No offline multiplayer.  I may pass on this one now..

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2008, 08:34:59 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on August 19, 2008, 07:43:59 PM

Wow, I haven't seen a game get so widespread an array of reviews in a while. The reviews are all over the map on this one.

looking around i'm not seeing that much variance in the reviews.  they're all mediocre to poor.  i've yet to see it break even 80 percent/-B  anywhere.   icon_confused

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2008, 05:11:55 PM »

Picked this up today, but I won't be back home until tomorrow night.  Even managed to get the preorder armor despite not preordering.  I played the demo and had none of the issues that have been brought up in the reviews.  I played both ranged and melee and felt everything worked fine.  Looking forward to phat lewt and cyber Norse fun.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2008, 05:55:18 PM »

Yup, can't wait to head home tonight and play this.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2008, 10:24:47 PM »

Still debating whether or not to pick up my pre-order.  Probably will go ahead... not like I need money.  Maybe do some coop dreamshadow if I see ya on tonight.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2008, 11:30:32 PM »

Excellent!  I'll be on after 9pm CST till about midnight CST.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2008, 12:05:34 AM »

Any impressions?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2008, 12:16:58 AM »

I picked it up and it's just like the demo.  If you don't like the demo then you won't like this game.   I actually like the mindless whack a mole game play.  Looking for to co-op

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2008, 04:59:32 AM »

Agreed SC. I liked the demo and am enjoying the game, definite mindless hack and slash but still quite a bit of fun. The story is quirky and the camera/controls could be better at times. Very nice graphics though and the combat is cool. To me this is like Assassin's Creed, which I loved, in that it could have been a lot better in ways but if you can overlook the problems then it's a fun game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2008, 05:38:44 AM »

Somehow, if the sales do good enough for it, I don't think we'll see parts 2 & 3 anytime soon.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:41:16 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: