http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 01:33:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too Human demo coming next week  (Read 10575 times)
dangerballs
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2008, 07:54:58 PM »

I enjoyed the demo.  The graphics were great, especially the graphics for the weapons and armor.  The game has a nice way of making your character look pretty badass as you get the more rare/epic items.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2008, 01:10:30 AM »

Quote from: Simon on July 16, 2008, 06:50:47 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on July 15, 2008, 12:10:21 AM

I rather enjoy this demo.  I've played through it twice now.

Same here. It's quirky but pretty fun and I could see picking it up when it comes out.

it's actually a decent size demo for a change.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2008, 05:46:25 PM »

I haven't finished the demo yet. It seems fun and has nice graphics. The camera is definitely not ideal to put it mildly. It feels a little chaotic to me. I can't really keep up with all the things going on at once along with all the dialog going on while fighting. I've had 2 kind of "boss" encounters so far, and I am still not really sure what I did to win them. Seems like a mixed bag to me so far.

It sure ain't Eternal Darkness. frown

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »

Having now finished the demo, I'll upgrade my opinion to "like it" as it grew on me. I think having a user manual will help me figure out the parts I didn't really figure out (ie. why I sometimes hurt bosses and sometimes didn't). I still think the camera thing was a mistake, but I know SK is big on preventing the gamer from having to wrangle with the camera much. I just wish they did it better here.

I still would much rather have Eternal Darkness 2. smile frown  'tarded!

-John

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2008, 12:31:56 AM »

Finally got around to trying this today.  Much to my surprise, I liked the demo much more than I expected I would.  It looks absolutely beautiful, and while I didn't know exactly what I was doing, the combat was really fun.  I didn't run into any issues with the camera, but I have a hard time believing they could do that good of a job throughout the entire game.  Will have to keep an eye on reviews and feedback, but I'm certainly interested.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2008, 11:33:42 AM »

That pretty much sums it up for me.  I really enjoyed it - SUPER looking game.  I just ordered the Strategy Guide and pushed the game to the top of my Gamefly queue.

Daddy NEEDS an action rpg. ;-)

Quote from: Gratch on July 26, 2008, 12:31:56 AM

Finally got around to trying this today.  Much to my surprise, I liked the demo much more than I expected I would.  It looks absolutely beautiful, and while I didn't know exactly what I was doing, the combat was really fun.  I didn't run into any issues with the camera, but I have a hard time believing they could do that good of a job throughout the entire game.  Will have to keep an eye on reviews and feedback, but I'm certainly interested.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2008, 12:56:56 PM »

There are several camera modes you can flip through using up and down on the d-pad.  The default is the closest in, which I think is the worst.  If you go to the ISO camera, you get a nice large view of the battlefield.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2008, 03:09:45 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on July 26, 2008, 12:56:56 PM

There are several camera modes you can flip through using up and down on the d-pad.  The default is the closest in, which I think is the worst.  If you go to the ISO camera, you get a nice large view of the battlefield.

I'm hesitant to pick the game up because MS has already alluded to the fact that if Too Human doesn't have good numbers the trilogy won't be completed. I'd hate to fall in love with a story that will never have a conclusion. Of course, if I use this as a reason to NOT pick it up I'm creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

<grumble>....
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2008, 03:15:04 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on July 26, 2008, 03:09:45 PM

I'm hesitant to pick the game up because MS has already alluded to the fact that if Too Human doesn't have good numbers the trilogy won't be completed. I'd hate to fall in love with a story that will never have a conclusion. Of course, if I use this as a reason to NOT pick it up I'm creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

<grumble>....

I'm still on the fence about that.  I have it pre-ordered, but I keep getting the sense I should wait to find out if it's a complete story in its own right because, as someone said earlier, this is probably going to turn out to be MS's Haze.

Because I can,
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2008, 03:30:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 26, 2008, 03:15:04 PM

this is probably going to turn out to be MS's Haze.

If no one had liked the demo, I'd agree, but too many people seem to like it
for that to be the case. I also think the co-op gameplay will help move a lot of units.
I've been really cautious on this one, but I think it's going to do alright.
I'm not looking for it to necessarily do Gears or GTA numbers but I think this
will be one of those games that starts modestly and has a sales increase as word spreads.
Just one guy's opinion, of course.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2008, 04:50:32 PM »

I liked it quite a bit.  The story was different than the usual run of the mill action rpg stuff, the combat was fun and the customization options seemed interesting.  The camera was a bit infuriating at times, but I'm sure it can be tweaked to my liking if I spend the time on it.  Definitely picking this one up.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2008, 08:25:02 PM »

I know there was a trick posted earlier to unlock 2 additional classes in the demo, but it sounds like they put in a time triggered unlock for classes in the demo.  As it gets closer to release, more classes are automatically unlocked.  Pretty neat.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2008, 05:41:59 PM »

I'm a sucker for all local co-op games and Diablo loot whorish gameplay so despite being very meh with the demo, I'll probably pick it up.

I'm still a bit sour that Silicon Knights didn't hire me when I went for an interview about a year ago (with Mrs. Dyack) although it probably wasn't for working on this game.  They mentioned something about a project with Sega.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 05:45:35 PM by skystride » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2008, 07:55:57 PM »

I will be waiting for a trade. I will play it, but not first out of the door unless I'm tapped by Ron to do so.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »

I'm hesitant to pick the gam

e up because MS has already alluded to the fact that if Too Human doesn't have good numbers the trilogy won't be completed. I'd hate to fall in love with a story that will never have a conclusion. Of course, if I use this as a reason to NOT pick it up I'm creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

<grumble>....

Whether Too Human 2 gets made or not, I would be surprised if MS publishes it.  I'm not getting the impression that they are really standing behind it or excited about it at all.  SK's litigation against Epic doesn't help matters either and at this point MS probably cares more about Epic than SK. 
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2008, 08:27:05 PM »

The demo was good enough to interest me in playing through once with each class.  With that said, f*ng wonky camera!  I tried all of the views, with Iso being the best for me.  Strategic camera was interesting, it zoomed in while I fought melee, and zoomed out when I pulled out the pistols and started shooting.  Even playing with the Iso view the camera would sometimes spin out and lose a good viewing angle.  A couple of times during the demo I was forced into an active cutscene with fixed cinematic camera angles that felt like I was taking a spatial relationship test.  Odd choice to have active cutscenes like that.

I hope the Cyberspace level breaks are much better in the game, because they were awful in the demo.  Fixed camera angles, no map, getting stuck on bushes and shrubbery, and running into rocks because I can't orient the camera to see where I'm going.  It's a freaking bush, just hop over it, or blow it up, or rip through it lol.  In the demo they served to break the action and ruin the immersion for me, rather than add to the story or gameplay.   

The skill trees are not very polished, even the UI seems a little rough.  Just some blue circles with lame sketches on the inside?  Didn't they learn from WoW and Diablo on how to design decent looking skill trees?  I wasn't able to experiment with the cybernetic versus human skill trees, so my observations are based solely on the class skill trees.  Why make the skill paths mutually exclusive of each other? 

On the classes, the Commando and Bioengineer are definitely supporting roles.  In order of how easy it was to complete the demo, I would rank them: Defender (ice freeze!), Berserker, Champion, and in distant 4th and 5th Commando and Bioengineer.  I can see where 4 of those classes working together as a team would have been really fun.  I'm not sure how 2 player co-op is going to pan out for the support classes, compared to what it would have been like supporting 3 other players.  It's a shame they couldn't get 4 player co-op to work.     

The voice acting is hilarious.  The graphics range anywhere from pretty good to bland.  The animation seems kind of stiff, like Balder is walking around with a rod up his butt.  But, even with all of those anklebiting issues, the demo was mostly fun (Cyberspace excluded).  I’ll be waiting to see how the game fares with reviews. 

On a funny side note, my 4 year old son asked me why the wolf-trooper called the valkyrie beautiful.  I explained that he must have thought she was pretty, or beautiful.  He looked at me with a raised eyebrow and simply said, “but that valkyrie was a man daddy.”
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:30:18 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2008, 10:36:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 26, 2008, 03:15:04 PM

<grumble>....

I'm still on the fence about that.  I have it pre-ordered, but I keep getting the sense I should wait to find out if it's a complete story in its own right because, as someone said earlier, this is probably going to turn out to be MS's Haze.

I completely disagree with both sentiments. If you want the game to do well and you want your trilogy, you better support the first game by buying it. If too many of you sit on the fence waiting for a sequel confirmation, the game is going to lose sales which might have helped the decision. Also, how is Too Human comparable to Haze when Too Human is actually good?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:37:55 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 28, 2008, 10:36:24 PM

I completely disagree with both sentiments. If you want the game to do well and you want your trilogy, you better support the first game by buying it. If too many of you sit on the fence waiting for a sequel confirmation, the game is going to lose sales which might have helped the decision.

In a broad sense, sure.  But I feel very, very confident that my individual sale will not effect Too Human either way.

Further, I don't feel the need to subsidize any company.  By broadly proclaiming this the first in a trilogy and potentially making the story unsatisfying in the proces, SK is taking the risk that they are turning away buyers in that approach.  Personally, I wish companies wouldn't get too big into loose ends and cliffhanger endings until at least the second game in a series. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2008, 03:10:32 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 28, 2008, 11:00:36 PM

I completely disagree with both sentiments. If you want the game to do well and you want your trilogy, you better support the first game by buying it. If too many of you sit on the fence waiting for a sequel confirmation, the game is going to lose sales which might have helped the decision.

In a broad sense, sure.  But I feel very, very confident that my individual sale will not effect Too Human either way.

I'm not sure that's the best way to look at it, the same way you shouldn't consider an individual vote worthless during the presidential elections, no? Unless you mean that SK will develop a sequel to Too Human regardless of whether it bombs or not.

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2008, 03:51:51 AM »

No, I mean my $60 won't drastically effect the bottom line either way.  My $60

Personally, I can't stand this mentality that gamers need to "support" these companies.  This isn't a charity nor is it an election. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2008, 04:16:14 AM »

Also, how is Too Human comparable to Haze when Too Human is actually good?

Like with Haze, I think it's going to be one of those games that is going to be disappointing sales wise and review wise.  and I didn't say I was waiting for a sequel confirmation, but word if the game's story stands on it's own or if it's going to leave more plot threads hanging than half a season of Lost.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2008, 04:22:08 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 29, 2008, 03:51:51 AM

No, I mean my $60 won't drastically effect the bottom line either way.  My $60

Personally, I can't stand this mentality that gamers need to "support" these companies.  This isn't a charity nor is it an election. 

Of course not, I agree. But if you are interested in a game you should buy it rather than waiting to see if it bombs or not.

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2008, 05:52:56 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 29, 2008, 04:22:08 PM

Of course not, I agree. But if you are interested in a game you should buy it rather than waiting to see if it bombs or not.

Depends on how much you are interested in the story.  If a developer brags about how a game is the first of a trilogy then it makes sense to me to wait and find out how well the story stands on it's own before making a purchase decision, especially if that dev has a spotty commercial track record as Silicon Knights does.  If the story doesn't stand on it's own very well, then I personally might wait until a sequel was announced and/or the game drops a lot in price.   

I'm the same way with a lot of TV shows these days- I'm kind of nervous about starting to watch heavily serialized shows until they've been confirmed for at least a second season since they so often get canceled without resolution. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2008, 06:53:07 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 29, 2008, 05:52:56 PM

I'm the same way with a lot of TV shows these days- I'm kind of nervous about starting to watch heavily serialized shows until they've been confirmed for at least a second season since they so often get canceled without resolution. 

While I agree with you on the TV shows, for this game I don't care enough about the story to hesitate.  All I am really looking for is some good co-op hack and slash combat and a nice variety of gear to collect.  The demo sold me on those two aspects of the game enough to purchase it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 06:54:43 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2008, 06:55:18 PM »

Here's my quandry:

Does Too Human doing well or poorly make an Eternal Darkness sequel more likely and sooner?

-John

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2008, 07:40:17 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on July 28, 2008, 08:27:05 PM

The skill trees are not very polished, even the UI seems a little rough.  Just some blue circles with lame sketches on the inside?  Didn't they learn from WoW and Diablo on how to design decent looking skill trees?  I wasn't able to experiment with the cybernetic versus human skill trees, so my observations are based solely on the class skill trees.  Why make the skill paths mutually exclusive of each other? 

If you mean the skill paths in the class trees, they're not.  You can put points in all 3 paths if you want.  Unless I misunderstood what you were saying?
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2008, 07:50:30 PM »

eightball if hes talking about what i think he is, they definitely are

from about the 2nd or third skill down, you simply cannot choose more than one.  and after the second or third, there are 1 or 2 more skills.  the way the skill tree is set up, theres no way to get the final skill in one tree, and "loop around" from the bottom to get one of the other skills in another branch

so if you pick the "x" button skill (i think its x) in a tree, its absolutely impossible to get the "y" button skill of another tree

and what are these "cybernetic" skill trees you speak of - did i miss a whole different set of skills somewhere?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2008, 07:54:59 PM »

Quote from: JCC on July 29, 2008, 06:55:18 PM

Here's my quandry:

Does Too Human doing well or poorly make an Eternal Darkness sequel more likely and sooner?

Here's my plan:

I'm going to buy it day 1, but I won't open it untill I've read reviews and some GT'ers have posted feedback.

And...if it's positive, I'll open and blissfully play it.

Or...if it's negative, I'll mail it to Silicon Knights with an attached note stating that it's my deposit for a future Eternal Darkness sequel.  smirk
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2008, 08:15:44 PM »

Too Human would have to be a success of Blizzard-like proportions, making SK so rich they could make an ED sequel and sell it to people on their name alone.

As that won't happen, people still keeping up hope for an ED sequel six years later are probably destined to be disappointed. 
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2008, 08:34:15 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 29, 2008, 07:50:30 PM

and what are these "cybernetic" skill trees you speak of - did i miss a whole different set of skills somewhere?

One of SK's design blog videos shows a cybernetic vs human skill tree, or mod tree, or whatever they're calling it.  It sounded like there are decision points in the game that allow the player to focus more on cybernetic enhancements through a seperate skill tree, and natural enhancements in another skill tree.  I could have completely misunderstood what they were saying though.  I did notice in the demo that the icons to RT or LT select another screen are available but not working from the skill tree screen.   

Regarding the mutually exclusive skill paths, there's a message that pops up when you try and put a point in the first yellow spider skill, and another in the first blue mapped skill.  The message reads something like if you put a point here, you won't be able to put any points in the other spider or blue skills in the other paths.  At least that's what I remember off the top of my head.

I can't imagine what's shown in the demo represents all of the skill trees.  I was already down to the blue mapped battle cry skills at level 7.   
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:35:48 PM by Roguetad » Logged
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2008, 09:26:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 29, 2008, 08:15:44 PM

As that won't happen, people still keeping up hope for an ED sequel six years later are probably destined to be disappointed. 

Once Dyack stops making hints about a sequel and gaming mags stop reporting on a sequel, I'll be happy to stop hoping for one.

-John

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2008, 02:58:32 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on July 29, 2008, 08:34:15 PM

One of SK's design blog videos shows a cybernetic vs human skill tree, or mod tree, or whatever they're calling it.  It sounded like there are decision points in the game that allow the player to focus more on cybernetic enhancements through a seperate skill tree, and natural enhancements in another skill tree.  I could have completely misunderstood what they were saying though.  I did notice in the demo that the icons to RT or LT select another screen are available but not working from the skill tree screen.

Yeah, those are other skill trees, but not open in the demo.

Regarding the mutually exclusive skill paths, there's a message that pops up when you try and put a point in the first yellow spider skill, and another in the first blue mapped skill.  The message reads something like if you put a point here, you won't be able to put any points in the other spider or blue skills in the other paths.  At least that's what I remember off the top of my head.  

No kidding.  I played the demo like 6 times through, and I can't remember reading that, though it's likely I just skipped whatever popup so I could just go kill more stuff.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2008, 07:11:01 PM »

Played the demo some and it's not bad.
Combat definitely has an unusual feel to it.
Is there going to be single-system MP or is the MP online only?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2008, 09:50:50 PM »

excellent - this was my one gripe with the demo/game (seemed the skills were too few).  but if theres a second skill tree im pretty happy
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2008, 10:07:28 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 30, 2008, 09:50:50 PM

excellent - this was my one gripe with the demo/game (seemed the skills were too few).  but if theres a second skill tree im pretty happy

Unfortunately, from what I've seen, the second tree is almost all passive stat increases.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2008, 11:58:38 PM »

i have to be honest, im actually a huge fan of passive skills hehehe

call me crazy

i like active skills for "mage" type characters (need lots of spells!) but when it comes to others, id much rather have bumps to things like range, health, specific weapon damage etc etc etc

its just a product of how i play such games - i usually end up making one or two super strong active skills and ignoring the rest unless i need them to get the actives ive been eyeing
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2008, 07:14:58 AM »

Game Informer review 6.75 out of 10.

That's like a 3.5 from a respectable review site/magazine  eek
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2008, 11:43:59 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on August 12, 2008, 07:14:58 AM

Ouch.  This one is going to be pending reviews and/or feedback for me, so that's not a good start.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2008, 03:18:52 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 12, 2008, 11:43:59 AM

Ouch.  This one is going to be pending reviews and/or feedback for me, so that's not a good start.

OK, maybe I should stop by GS and cancel my pre-order so I can wait and see too.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2008, 04:10:31 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 12, 2008, 03:18:52 PM

Quote from: Gratch on August 12, 2008, 11:43:59 AM

OK, maybe I should stop by GS and cancel my pre-order so I can wait and see too.

I have a hunch that, much like the demo comments here and elsewhere, the game reviews are going to be all over the place.  It just seems to be a polarizing game.  That said, those types of games don't often sell well, so I'll be surprised if we see the sequels that are planned.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: