http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 04:17:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tony Hawk : Ride [Now w/ Review!]  (Read 6396 times)
Vidiot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 19, 2009, 01:11:24 PM

The criticism for me is more about the number of peripheral games Activision is putting out all at once.  They saw $$ with GH and went a little nuts.  It's not that they're trying to make money; it's that they're getting greedy.

I don't agree, they see a market that looks like it has a lot money in it and they are going for it in a upfront and honest manner.  I would consider it shady if they did things like make a minor mod to an existing line (say guitar hero for example) and obsoleted all of the old guitars every year.  But they have not done that.  So far they have been very good about supporting old equipment, ocassionally offering a new feature but always supporting older equipment too.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2009, 07:59:31 PM »

I didn't say it was shady.  It's greedy.  They're milking the phenomenon and over-saturating the market with plastic periphs, which will spoil their uniqueness at best and foster resentment at worst.  "Me too" business models are rarely a good idea, especially when you do it all at once in a bad economy.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2009, 12:45:51 AM »

IGN just bitch-slapped it with a 5/10 (though the score seems a little harsh).

Closing Comments
The Tony Hawk franchise was in dire need of a reboot, and hopping on the peripheral craze generated by Guitar Hero and Wii Fit wasn't a bad idea. The board itself is solid, which leaves only the execution to blame. Tony Hawk Ride never came together. It straddles an uncomfortable line between casual and hardcore without being satisfying in either respect and it lacks the polish and presentation necessary to cover up the gameplay shortcomings.

Kids might have fun hopping around on the board and watching the game play itself on casual mode and the soundtrack is indeed a great one. If you're looking for a realistic skating experience, you'd be better off buying a skateboard and heading outside. This one just doesn't cut it. File this one under "gimmick."

This just in:

Holy crap!  Giant Bomb bombs it giantly, too.  1/5.

The only positive thing about Tony Hawk: RIDE is its soundtrack, which is lengthy and includes tracks from Murs, Santigold, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Wolfmother, The Commodores, and more, including that "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)" song from The Big Lebowski. Obviously that's not enough to make Tony Hawk: RIDE feel like it's worth anything close to its $120 price tag. While the Tony Hawk franchise has been down on its luck lately, and was probably in need of a reboot as dramatic as this, the execution is such a miserable failure that it manages to splash even more mud on Tony Hawk's legacy. I'm left with a firm belief that whichever side of the Tony Hawk/Activision partnership has the out clause in the contract should just exercise it and part ways for good. Enough is enough.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:02:58 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2009, 01:10:32 AM »

Yeah, I knew the Giant Bomb review was going to be bad when I watched Gertsmann act like a douche in the quick take. i wonder how much balance an eggplant like him is capable of...

Honestly, I expected reviews to be on either extreme on this one. Seems like you either get it and think it's great or don't and think it's the worst ever. This isn't the kind of game you can crank through in your cubicle. I also wonder if some of these outlets are being even more harsh because of the delay in review product...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:12:22 AM by th'FOOL » Logged

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2009, 02:22:03 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 21, 2009, 01:10:32 AM

Yeah, I knew the Giant Bomb review was going to be bad when I watched Gertsmann act like a douche in the quick take. i wonder how much balance an eggplant like him is capable of...

Honestly, I expected reviews to be on either extreme on this one. Seems like you either get it and think it's great or don't and think it's the worst ever. This isn't the kind of game you can crank through in your cubicle. I also wonder if some of these outlets are being even more harsh because of the delay in review product...

I haven't trusted Gerstmann on stuff like this after watching him refusing to get up from the couch in the Wii unboxing vid.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2009, 02:26:41 AM »

Talk about across the board as far as reviews go. Crazy.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2009, 02:28:00 AM »

It's in my house...just sitting there...taunting me...

It knows I'm afraid to open it.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2009, 03:38:56 AM »

Any comparisons to how it is VS Wii's balance board on Skate It?

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2009, 04:15:13 AM »

A gimmicky game is actually crap?  Jee I didn't see that one coming at all!  Roll Eyes
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2009, 04:16:04 PM »

Mike,  I've gotta ask , what are you/others seeing with this game that is way off with what another group is seeing?

I don't get it. What's the divide between "Great!!" and "Sucks!!!"?

To this point it seems like people who went to the event where charmed into liking the game, but people who weren't are bitter because they didn't get their usual royal treatment.

I've never seen a list of reviews that read 90-50-90-50-90-50 like this.

What's going on?  

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2009, 04:30:56 PM »

4.6 from gametrailers... But great to see gamingtrend getting some support money from activision. There is no other way you could have reviewed this garbage so well.

Yeah at least the game is good at making you laugh
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 04:36:41 PM by Maggot » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2009, 05:32:54 PM »

Quote from: Maggot on November 21, 2009, 04:30:56 PM

4.6 from gametrailers... But great to see gamingtrend getting some support money from activision. There is no other way you could have reviewed this garbage so well.

I think what we're seeing here are the vast differences between reviewers. Does the game have issues? Apparently so. But is it a fun game overall? I'm guessing those that reviewed it well said yes (and possibly thought about their kids), while other reviewers just did the usual reviewing against other games (prequels, etc) and rated it accordingly.

And isn't the reviewer from Giant Bomb the same one that had a video of him from Gamespot showing him sitting down and playing Wii Sports or something? In other words, being totally lazy and not getting into the whole 'you're supposed to play a Wii game this way' thing?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2009, 05:39:30 PM »

We don't take money for reviews EVER. And I guess you've played it? Or are you just referring to your collection of animated gifs?

Mike Dunn
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2009, 05:47:49 PM »

I think a lot of the anger over Tony Hawk Ride isn't necessarily directed at the game itself (for instance, Maggot, I see a lot of animated gifs, but have you played the game yourself?) but instead at the peripheralpocalype.  If you've participated in the peripheralpocalypse, you now have a plastic guitar, plastic drums, a balance board, a plastic turntable and now a plastic skateboard.  I think this is where people are saying, "Enough is enough.  We've shelled out far too much money, and so we're not buying any more of this stuff."

The Penny Arcade guys weren't necessarily down on the game either, just saying that they couldn't really balance on the thing.  For the record, I haven't played it either, but I probably wouldn't have bought it whether or not the reviews were good or bad.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2009, 05:57:04 PM »

That's also what I forgot to bring up in my post (the joy of posting at work) - who thought that the plastic guitar from GH would've succeeded like it did? But look at where it is now.

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2009, 06:28:04 PM »

OK who are we more likely to believe a bunch of game sites that went out and bought their own copies of the games and in some cases put up video of themselves playing the game or game sites that went to a review party thrown by a publisher who invested very little into marketing their new vision of this series.  How is going to a party with a sports celebrity and family atmosphere complete with people to explain how to play the game similar to a consumer going out and buying this and taking it home to play?

How did GT ever decide this was going to be a good way to actually review a game with the consumers best interest in light?  This decision smacked of we can get our review up earlier than others rather than let's service our readers.

Oh I watched half of the Quick Look over at GB before the review went up and from what I saw and heard I didn't expect the score they gave but that's what I love about their QL's, they try not to go one way or the other in them.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2009, 06:29:36 PM »

That's completely uncalled for and borders heavily on slander.  No, we don't take support money from Activision or any other company.   I wouldn't be calling for support donations if we did.  This site is funded entirely by readers and the few ads that we run.  You'll never see a review for Halo 4 right next to an ad for Halo 4.  

As for the 'only three hours' with the game thing, we had much more access to it than that, and apparently more than other journalists did.  We hit roughly 10 hours with the game at the time of writing.   I've not personally played the title, but I do have to back my reviewer - this is his judgment of the product.  Will I agree?  Doesn't matter - I didn't write it.  Until people actually play the game, all of the bad clipping things in the world won't change a thing.  Hell, if you'd like I can cobble together some of the Modern Warfare 2 clipping bits I've seen - it's hard not to know where the enemy is when you can see their arm sticking through the center of a door...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2009, 06:31:32 PM »

Quote from: Rich on November 21, 2009, 06:28:04 PM

OK who are we more likely to believe a bunch of game sites that went out and bought their own copies of the games and in some cases put up video of themselves playing the game or game sites that went to a review party thrown by a publisher who invested very little into marketing their new vision of this series.  How is going to a party with a sports celebrity and family atmosphere complete with people to explain how to play the game similar to a consumer going out and buying this and taking it home to play?

How did GT ever decide this was going to be a good way to actually review a game with the consumers best interest in light?  This decision smacked of we can get our review up earlier than others rather than let's service our readers.

Oh I watched half of the Quick Look over at GB before the review went up and from what I saw and heard I didn't expect the score they gave but that's what I love about their QL's, they try not to go one way or the other in them.

Oh, and another one then?  Great.  I'm so glad you think our credibility is so poor.  And news flash - 99% of the bigger sites out there don't buy their product.   Let me quote from the review:

Note: This review is the result of roughly ten hours of shared gaming time with five other people (including my son, Griffin) for the most part. I got to play every aspect of the game except for online multiplayer, and got to watch others play at difficulty levels significantly more than I can handle. While it is certainly not possible to experience every aspect of the game within this limited time-frame, I feel that I was able to play it enough to pass judgment on it. When we receive a full retail copy we will determine at that point if our assessment needs to be adjusted.

I think that kinda speaks for itself, no?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2009, 06:55:57 PM »

Another thing I don't get is the outrage over the skateboard itself. People seem bullshit that the thing exists in the first place, like it's some sort of money grab.

I don't get this. Could Activision have thought that adding the peripheral would actually improve a game that was failing the past few years? Could the success of guitars, drums, etc. showed them that it was possible to add to the experience when before, they would have shelved the idea?

If anything, the last two Tony Hawk games smacked of 'taking advantage' of gamers by slapping the name on shitty games.

Is it only a problem now, in this case?

Why does Nintendo get away with it when they release a new DS every 4 months, a new peripheral every 6 months, and the same games over and over for years?

From what it seems, people should be far more offended by spending the $120 on the last 2 TH games than for spending $120 on this one. Even if it sucks, you have the board for some future game that may be good.

I still don't know if I'm going to open my copy or not, but all the crap being tossed around in here is pushing me to do it. Too much hot air coming from people who either haven't played, or have thier panties in a bunch because they feel slighted in some way.

As for the reviews on other sites, I can smell the rats from miles away. I can tell you all, right now, IGN will LOVE particular games, months and months before their release. I don't get that with GT. It is what it is. Having done a few writeups here, I can tell you that there was not one word of recommendation either way from Ron EVER.

This is why my question is to Mike and what he thinks the disconnect is. He's not lying, he is seeing something, and I want to know what that is.

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 21, 2009, 04:16:04 PM

Mike,  I've gotta ask , what are you/others seeing with this game that is way off with what another group is seeing?

I don't get it. What's the divide between "Great!!" and "Sucks!!!"?

To this point it seems like people who went to the event where charmed into liking the game, but people who weren't are bitter because they didn't get their usual royal treatment.

I've never seen a list of reviews that read 90-50-90-50-90-50 like this.

What's going on?  

I'll tell you what I saw:

I saw a fun game that by design was better played in a social setting with a group of people than by oneself. I saw a game that was trying something new and succeeded in the most important aspect for me: fun. I saw a game that definitely had a steep learning curve for higher levels of difficulty and required a better sense of balance to play at that level, but that I wanted to get better so that I could play on that difficulty. (also got the opportunity to watch other people who could play better than me having a blast at those levels). Bottom line: I saw a game that had a few flaws here and there but despite it all was fun as heck. I saw my son- who LOVES the Tony Hawk games and regularly kicks my ass at them- hop on that board and kick all kinds of ass at it.

In terms of learning curve, look at it this way: If Rock Band were nothing but drums, everybody would be saying that the easy difficulty setting was boring and the higher settings too hard and too much work to enjoy, just like this. To have fun at the higher settings you may have to work at it, but it is a blast when you do.

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2009, 07:23:04 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 21, 2009, 06:55:57 PM

Another thing I don't get is the outrage over the skateboard itself. People seem bullshit that the thing exists in the first place, like it's some sort of money grab.

We were told that Tony himself approached Activision with the idea, after he saw the success of other peripheral and motion based controllers.  I was actually getting the feeling that Activision wasn't as behind the game as they were for, say, DJ Hero. The event was rather last minute and the supply constraints issue seemed odd.

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2009, 07:24:15 PM »

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on November 21, 2009, 03:38:56 AM

Any comparisons to how it is VS Wii's balance board on Skate It?

I've never tried Skate It. I do have a balance board, though, and I would think the mobility of the RIDE board would give it some advantage.

Mike Dunn
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2009, 07:27:07 PM »

Thanks, Mike

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2009, 02:18:21 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 21, 2009, 06:29:36 PM

That's completely uncalled for and borders heavily on slander.

I dont think it was uncalled for. Sorry but I've read GT reviews for a long time but you lost all credibility to me.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2009, 02:54:14 AM »

Quote from: Maggot on November 22, 2009, 02:18:21 AM

I dont think it was uncalled for. Sorry but I've read GT reviews for a long time but you lost all credibility to me.

Why? Because my opinion of a game differed from other opinions? You are welcome to disagree with my opinion of the game, but that opinion was not bought.

Mike Dunn
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »

Wal-Mart giving a $40 GC with it (some other games too)

LE board too.

IN!

Now I will definitely get to see what the real deal is!  slywink

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2009, 07:30:50 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 22, 2009, 02:54:14 AM

Why? Because my opinion of a game differed from other opinions? You are welcome to disagree with my opinion of the game, but that opinion was not bought.

Well for reviewing something this buggy and broken this well, i fully accept games that i dislike getting good reviews because they are simple not my taste and for reviewing it after a limited amount of time given at a activision event.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2009, 08:01:29 PM »

Quote from: Maggot on November 22, 2009, 07:30:50 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 22, 2009, 02:54:14 AM

Well for reviewing something this buggy and broken this well, i fully accept games that i dislike getting good reviews because they are simple not my taste and for reviewing it after a limited amount of time given at a activision event.

Again, I had played it for much longer than the event itself and during that extended playtime I did not find it 'buggy and broken'. It had some graphical issues as I noted but they did not affect the overall impact of the game for me.

Seriously, what do you think I or the site have to gain by lying about this game? We review games by Activision all of the time- some get positive reviews, some get negative. If a negative review were to cost us that relationship, we would be the first to report foul play.

Mike Dunn
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2009, 09:47:56 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 21, 2009, 05:32:54 PM

And isn't the reviewer from Giant Bomb the same one that had a video of him from Gamespot showing him sitting down and playing Wii Sports or something? In other words, being totally lazy and not getting into the whole 'you're supposed to play a Wii game this way' thing?

Yes, in GameSpot's pre-release Wii Unboxing video, both Jeff Gerstmann and Ryan Davis staunchly refused to get off the couch, preferring instead to awkwardly flick their wrists or dangle an arm over the edge of the seat during Wii Sports.  Viewers were even asking them via webchat to stand up and do it right, and as I recall, their response was, "No, because no."

I like both guys quite a bit and my snap-impression is that Tony Hawk: Ride looks totally unappealing, but generally speaking, I wouldn't put much stock in their opinion of any game that demanded physical effort.

-Autistic Angel
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2009, 10:51:21 PM »

So despite the fact that their video review shows Jeff on-the-board using it the way the developers presumably intended, their opinion is invalidated because they weren't "into the game enough" or weren't at an acceptable physical fitness level for a game that was mainly marketed to people who don't already have years of skating background and finesse? How many "quantifiable" hours they put into game is obviously another factor here, but one that's irrelevant if the game is flat-out poorly executed.

I'm as much a fan of Gertsmann and the boys at GB as I am the fine folks here at GamingTrend but the "douche-calling" and other slings aren't really necessary. They simply didn't enjoy it and their view isn't out of line with the other middling to mediocre reviews of it. That's the great thing about "honest" reviews - they can go both ways.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:09:32 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2009, 11:23:11 PM »

Quote from: spigot on November 22, 2009, 10:51:21 PM

So despite the fact that their video review shows Jeff on-the-board using it the way the developers presumably intended, their opinion is invalidated because they weren't "into the game enough" or weren't at an acceptable physical fitness level for a game that was mainly marketed to people who don't already have years of skating background and finesse?

I'm as much a fan of Gertsmann and the boys at GB as I am the fine folks here at GamingTrend but the "douche-calling" and other slings aren't really necessary. They simply didn't enjoy it and their view isn't out of line with the other middling to mediocre reviews of it. That's the great thing about "honest" reviews - they can go both ways.

Well, I certainly got the impression from the video that they had already made up their mind about the game (and based on Gertsmann's gamerscore it doesn't look like he played much past the tutorial), hence my "acting like a douche" comment. But yeah, the eggplant jab was a little out of line considering I'm rather eggplant-ish myself Tongue.

Honestly, and we see this with a lot of Wii games, a lot of the gaming press really comes down hard on non-standard control schemes. I think the reason why people are calling out Gertsmann based on his Wii Sports coverage is because he has shown a predisposition towards not liking this sort of thing. My enthusiasm for these sorts of games primarily stems from not only how fun I think it is, but how much my kids like it, or if my wife can get into it.  Learning how to play with my son certainly impacted my opinion of the game. Does that make this a 'kiddie game'? No, but it is the reason why I feel this is a game that plays better with a group of people rather than solo, much like games like Wii Sports.

Mike Dunn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2009, 11:59:19 PM »

And I will admit that I assumed that Jeff from Giant Bomb 'lazied' his way through the review - so yes, that impression he made upon the gaming world with his Wii review is still on his shoulders. So in short - I never watched the video review and just assumed.

And you know what happens when you assume things. biggrin

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2009, 04:24:17 AM »

Quote from: spigot on November 22, 2009, 10:51:21 PM

So despite the fact that their video review shows Jeff on-the-board using it the way the developers presumably intended, their opinion is invalidated because they weren't "into the game enough" or weren't at an acceptable physical fitness level for a game that was mainly marketed to people who don't already have years of skating background and finesse? How many "quantifiable" hours they put into game is obviously another factor here, but one that's irrelevant if the game is flat-out poorly executed.

I don't know how much of that, if any, was directed at my post, but when talking about a game that requires at least a nominal degree of physical interaction, I think it's relevant to point out that the guys at Giant Bomb have demonstrated a long running disdain for them.  That doesn't invalidate their opinion so much as put it into perspective.  People have different enthusiasms, and if I have a standing dislike of racing sims, you might want to consider that when reading my thoughts on Forza 3.

I agree with you that TH: Ride looks poorly executed and, based on their QL footage, Giant Bomb's score seems totally appropriate.  No argument here.  If the situation was just slightly more ambiguous, though, I think watching Gerstmann huff and puff his way through some pretty meager balancing would be a legitimate topic in discussing his final score.

-Autistic Angel
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2009, 02:04:06 PM »

Gamespot joins the fray: 3.5/10

The Good
The included skateboard peripheral is durable.
The Bad
Movements don't register correctly much of the time   Bad menu organization and other presentation issues   Challenge mode stinks, and every mode is stripped   Tiny skating areas   Really expensive.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2009, 02:05:23 PM »

I've never been so excited to play a potentially awful game!

If the kids cooperate, IN tonight!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2009, 02:04:18 AM »

OK - I screwed around with it for about an hour. It was fun, frustrating, hard and annoying.

The board is very solid and can probably take a beating

Why have the full control pad on the board if they make you use another one?

Menu system sucks

Graphics are OK. I don't care about this. Much like Rock Band, there could be monkeys throwing shit all around my character and I wouldn't notice. The focus on your player is all you'll really see.

It's hard as hell. The board was registering what I was doing but I just wasn't doing things correctly. Is it my fault or the game?

This is where I see all the reviews falling apart. In 2 hours with the thing you could get frustrated as hell and never want to deal with it. At that point you'll get your 5/10 reviews, which you would see a lot of BUT it seems if you can put some time into this and learn what you're supposed to do, that's where the payoff and 9/10 reviews will come from. This is what I think Mike saw in his reviews.

It could be a good game if you put the time in.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2009, 04:52:26 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 25, 2009, 02:04:18 AM

This is where I see all the reviews falling apart. In 2 hours with the thing you could get frustrated as hell and never want to deal with it. At that point you'll get your 5/10 reviews, which you would see a lot of BUT it seems if you can put some time into this and learn what you're supposed to do, that's where the payoff and 9/10 reviews will come from. This is what I think Mike saw in his reviews.

This almost sounds like the Enchanted Arms reviews.  So many reviews complained about a particular character in your party, but they don't mention that he gets killed shortly thereafter and the game actually improves quite a bit beyond that point.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Vitz711
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2009, 02:21:25 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 21, 2009, 01:10:32 AM

I'm happy to accept your differing opinion on this game which sits so at odds with general consensus as that is basically what a review is: Someone's opinion of a given product.

However, I find it extremely unprofessional to then essentially participate in slander against another game reviewer purely because their opinion is in contrast to your own. You are asking the people visiting this site to accept your views on the game and yet seem to be refusing to give credence to that of another reviewer (and a very well respected one at that).

And as for being so 'offended' by the suggestion that you took a pay off from Activision, what exactly is this if not you doing exactly the same thing: 'I also wonder if some of these outlets are being even more harsh because of the delay in review product...'

For someone who's job position reads' Marketing manager', repaying slander with slander seems not only unprofessional but also seriously undermines the credibility of your site.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2009, 03:01:28 PM »

In fairness, though, Gerstmann, while respected, is a jackass on the physical-participation front.

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2009, 03:40:07 AM »

Quote from: Vitz711 on November 26, 2009, 02:21:25 PM

However, I find it extremely unprofessional to then essentially participate in slander against another game reviewer purely because their opinion is in contrast to your own. You are asking the people visiting this site to accept your views on the game and yet seem to be refusing to give credence to that of another reviewer (and a very well respected one at that).

First of all, stating that we were bought off by Activision is a far cry from me stating that I thought Gertsmann was acting like a douche during the preview video or calling him an eggplant, which I totally admit is the pot calling the kettle black as I said before. As far as Gertsmann's credibility on this review, his record is pretty well known when it comes to games of a physical nature as many have already said in this thread. It was pretty obvious to me that Giant Bomb was going to thrash the game and play it up for as many yuks as they could along the way (as evidenced by their continued coverage after the review) after I watched that preview. That's how they want to cater to their audience, fine.

And as for being so 'offended' by the suggestion that you took a pay off from Activision, what exactly is this if not you doing exactly the same thing: 'I also wonder if some of these outlets are being even more harsh because of the delay in review product...'

I'm not sure what you mean by this. It is common practice for publishers to send product for review in advance of a game's release. RIDE was not sent out to anybody (including us) which had people scratching their heads as, especially in Activision's case, this was an exception. There was a certain tone to some outlet's news postings and comments on the situation, and even to a certain extent some reviews, that these people felt either snubbed or distrustful of Activision's motives, lending a bit of bias to the coverage, which is what I was referring to.

For someone who's job position reads' Marketing manager', repaying slander with slander seems not only unprofessional but also seriously undermines the credibility of your site.

Well, I feel bad about the eggplant comment, as I said before. Wondering aloud if some outlets are butt-hurt about not getting advance product- whatever. Someone alleging that I was paid off to review a game positively- Just not true, but Maggot is entitled to think what he wants. All things considered the field of game journalism is rife with credibility and professionalism issues. We try to keep the bar higher than most but sometimes someone slips up and calls a fellow journalist an eggplant.  tear

Mike Dunn
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: