http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 09:57:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tony Hawk Project 8 video  (Read 922 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2006, 03:22:53 PM »

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=6907

What do you think of that?  I've never been a fan of the EA trend of putting heavy control on the two sticks.  At first blush, this seems like a complicated choice for TH, but maybe it'll open things up.  Still, I can't imagine you can get as many flicks of the sticks in a combo as you can button presses.  That may just be a prejudice coming from so many years of TH games.  Of course, I think most of the audience will have the same prejudice. 

As for graphics, etc., Rodeny Mullen looks a little goofy when he's talking, but it certainly looks better than the last TH game.

Oh, and I thought "Project 8" was just a working title.  Maybe not, huh?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 12:50:43 AM »

I think it might be a good, needed change for the series.  Did we need the exact same control system with one added trick for a new yearly release?  There's a reason most people quit caring for the series; not that it went downhill, but more of the same will only draw back people so many times.  Honestly, whenever I played the latest games it was mostly a button mash for me.  I think this new system with the slow-motion and stick controls could be a little more intuitive and easier for us less coordinated folks to handle. 

Rodney Mullen definitely looked weird when he talked.  The graphics overall looked better than previous titles, but that is to be expected.  It certainly didn't strike me as all that "next-gen" as I would expect, but it'll do. 

I was curious if they intend to hang onto the "Project 8" moniker, also.  Maybe our good buddy Ron can find out when he makes a little visit to Activision.   icon_wink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 12:52:53 AM »

I am dissapointed to hear that.  Despite the stagnation I've continued to buy and play each installment.  I like the control scheme because it is rather intuitive and I don't have to be a contortionist to look like I know what I am doing.  I'm not really that big a fan of the analog controls.  Good for moving around, but I don't know if I want to wiggle the sticks to do my moves.

Then again, I don't like the off-board stuff like the Caveman that has been creeping into the series.  I just want to skate and look good doing it!

I like these games because they are fun to play.  I don't fight with the controls, I just roll and do tricks.  Same with the trick portions of SSX.  Don't complicate things.

It turns out I just hate change. mad

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 01:50:15 AM »

I think it looks cool as hell, looks fun, and personally, I'd much rather play it than Downhill Jam for Wii, from what I've seen.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 01:52:18 AM »

Quote from: Dafones on September 07, 2006, 01:50:15 AM

I think it looks cool as hell, looks fun, and personally, I'd much rather play it than Downhill Jam for Wii, from what I've seen.

You mean Tony Hawk SSX?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 02:38:08 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 07, 2006, 12:50:43 AM

Rodney Mullen definitely looked weird when he talked.  The graphics overall looked better than previous titles, but that is to be expected.  It certainly didn't strike me as all that "next-gen" as I would expect, but it'll do. 

It looks like his mouth is too big.  What is that phenomenom called where the more humanlike a character looks the more obvious it's 'non-human' traits are?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 03:54:54 AM »

Quote from: Dafones on September 07, 2006, 01:50:15 AM

Interesting.  I thought the Wii version looked like a lot of fun.  A little sub-par on the graphics side, but that doesn`t seem to bother me.  It may be that Nintendo isn`t promising much, and so I`m not expecting much.  On the other hand, I`m mildly let down by the next gen graphics.  Wonder if that`ll hold up in the future.

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 07, 2006, 12:50:43 AM

I think it might be a good, needed change for the series.  Did we need the exact same control system with one added trick for a new yearly release?  There's a reason most people quit caring for the series; not that it went downhill, but more of the same will only draw back people so many times. 

No question a change is needed.  Maybe this will be good.  Maybe I fear change like stiffler.  I can`t help feeling like using the sticks for control is less intuitive, though.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 04:43:37 AM »

The Project 8 vs. Downhill Jam notion is just a personal preference. Yes Downhill Jam looks fun, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it myself, but I prefer the tricks over the races. The Amped series is about the perfect mix of trick and ride - god God do I love those games - where as DJ is mostly a racer, by comparison.

DJ does seem a lot like Tony Hawk SSX, a series that I absolutely hated, as a matter of fact. Good games, I'm sure, but games that just weren't for me.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 04:58:58 AM »

I'll let you know what I think next Wednesday.  I'm excited about the change, and it is better to try something new rather than playing Roster Update 07, know what I'm sayin?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 05:19:03 AM »

I'm really excited for this Project8.  I'm glad they are ditching the whole Underground/Extreme shit.  I pray to God himself that Bam isnt in this game.  If I could ask for one thing in this game it would be that they add more of a challenge.  I found the last 3 or 4 games in the series have been waaaay too easy.  MORE CHALLENGE! THANKS!

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 02:50:53 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 07, 2006, 04:58:58 AM

I'll let you know what I think next Wednesday.  I'm excited about the change, and it is better to try something new rather than playing Roster Update 07, know what I'm sayin?

You gunna be able to try the game out at Neversoft or Activision? Sweet! Ohhh the perks of the job.

*Grumble grumble grumble* I gotta get my own website ...  icon_wink  (He he, need a Vancouver GT representative? I'll try out Bully for you all!)

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 10:28:36 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on September 07, 2006, 05:19:03 AM

If I could ask for one thing in this game it would be that they add more of a challenge.  I found the last 3 or 4 games in the series have been waaaay too easy.  MORE CHALLENGE! THANKS!

NO!!!  I like thinking I am good at these games.  More difficulty will make my life miserable!  Just play it on hard, you masochist!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 04:13:08 AM »

TH4 was fucking hard. Played the hell out of it, but never fully finished it. I think if they stuck with the difficulty of THPS2 or 3, Project 8 would be be golden.

Um, wait ... they've already make seven of these games? Wow.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 05:28:51 AM »

Quote from: Dafones on September 08, 2006, 04:13:08 AM

TH4 was fucking hard. Played the hell out of it, but never fully finished it. I think if they stuck with the difficulty of THPS2 or 3, Project 8 would be be golden.

And I've owned them all but American Wasteland...  eek
I wish AW would take a price drop on the 360, I have an itch to play some Tony Hawk.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 02:53:30 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on September 08, 2006, 05:28:51 AM

Quote from: Dafones on September 08, 2006, 04:13:08 AM

And I've owned them all but American Wasteland...  eek
I wish AW would take a price drop on the 360, I have an itch to play some Tony Hawk.

It's down to $34.99 used: http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=952005

Of course, the xbox version is backwards compatible and is only $17.99!  http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=950815

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 06:06:58 PM »

Quote from: Dafones on September 07, 2006, 04:43:37 AM

The Project 8 vs. Downhill Jam notion is just a personal preference. Yes Downhill Jam looks fun, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it myself, but I prefer the tricks over the races. The Amped series is about the perfect mix of trick and ride - god God do I love those games - where as DJ is mostly a racer, by comparison.

DJ does seem a lot like Tony Hawk SSX, a series that I absolutely hated, as a matter of fact. Good games, I'm sure, but games that just weren't for me.
* Purge  sits down in Dafones' boat

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: