http://gamingtrend.com
September 24, 2014, 02:48:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tony Hawk Downhill Jam DS Impressions??  (Read 666 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2006, 03:52:54 PM »

Anyone have it?

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 10:26:26 PM »

I'm working on a review this week.  Just got it - its still in the shrink. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 11:19:01 PM »

Nice!  Cant wait to hear about it!

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 02:14:21 AM »

8.7 from IGN

Quote from: Craig Harris, IGN
Closing Comments
When Activision revealed earlier this year that the next Tony Hawk DS title would be a trick-based racing game, I'll freely admit I was ready to write off the concept right then and there. Tony Hawk has always been about its open worlds and finding the best lines and objects to grind off of, and turning the design into a forward rolling SSX-inspired racing design could potentially stray the series away from what made it so great from the start.

Playing it completely squashed my initial fears -- Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam is an extremely fun Nintendo DS racer with all of the familiar Tony Hawk progression and challenge, but presented in a whole new way. The game is fast, furious, and fun as hell, even if the racing focus limits the world exploration. The online component in the game easily makes Tony Hawk one of the deepest multiplayer titles on the system, even if we're still stuck in Nintendo's restrictive network -- it lacks a lobby system to find games easily, but once you're in the game runs great and features an in-game voice chat option that's admittedly a bit limited but still damn cool to use.

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam has enough of the right stuff to continue on as its own franchise, but I'd be lying if I said that it's a better concept than the original open world, go-anywhere Pro Skater/Underground/American Sk8land designs. The racing game is excellent even with its slight restrictions -- the designers have explored the core idea to give it a fantastic amount of variety. It's really great stuff that'll appeal to racing fans and skateboarding nuts.

IGN Ratings for Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam (DS)
Rating Description 
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
9.0 Presentation
Incredibly full-featured single and multiplayer components, really good online support with voice chat function, and some of the deepest user customization features seen yet on DS.
9.0 Graphics
The American Sk8land 3D engine and visual style returns for this downhill run. It still looks fantastic on the DS system, even with the occasional pop glitch.
9.0 Sound
Rockin' soundtrack with 15 understandably compressed licensed tunes. Spoken dialogue for all of the cutscenes, and it's the first DS game to support voice chat during gameplay.
8.5 Gameplay
Really good racing design that's a little easy in normal mode, but a real challenge in hard. Multiplayer is slightly misbalanced that favors players who max out their Create-a-Skater stats.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
Get your DS online because this one really pushes the online component. Four players online and off. Full stat tracking via PC web access, too.
Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Sounds pretty damn good!  Only 6 courses though, that is a bit of a turn off for sure.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 05:12:42 AM »

Waiting for the Wii version, myself.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 05:36:57 AM »

I might wait for the Wii version, but I was really impressed with Sk8land on the DS so I just might buy DH Jam for the DS as well.

Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 12:41:34 PM »

I just want them to make Jet Grind Radio/Jet Set Radio Future with the Sk8land engine on the DS.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 01:30:54 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on October 26, 2006, 05:36:57 AM

I might wait for the Wii version, but I was really impressed with Sk8land on the DS so I just might buy DH Jam for the DS as well.

Sk8land was good and different enough from the big console version to warrant a purchase, I just have to wait and see if the same holds true for the DS one vs Wii (unless someone knows now?).

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on October 26, 2006, 12:41:34 PM

I just want them to make Jet Grind Radio/Jet Set Radio Future with the Sk8land engine on the DS.

That would be great.

I also want them to make JSRF backwards compatible on the 360.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 10:31:05 PM »

Well...shit. 

Activision sent me a DS to review Downhill Jam and Hammy Goes Nuts.  I opened it today to check it out and both screens are smashed.  Seems the "handling" part of shipping and handling did a number on the unit.  frown  Sorry guys...I'm going to ship the games to some other reviewers to handle so you'll have to wait another couple of days.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: