and don't get me started on the person who decided some of the events needed to be as obscure as possible. it spent about 4 tries on the part with the Mayan calendar thinking there had to be a way to climb down to get inside once the underground opens before I remembered seeing a cutscene with her driving the motorcycle into the entrance. couldn't she have dropped a hint like 'there's no way I'll make it in time by climbing'?
How can I get a babel fish?
(from the official 'hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy' hint book)
1. This puzzle has more clues than a Hitchhiker's Guide Mark IV has options.
2. Have you tried pressing the dispenser button?
3. You need to block the small hole.
4. Let's hope you aren't stuck here, because it only gets harder.
5. It has something to do with the hook above the hole.
6. You need to hang something on the hook.
7. Examine the gown.
8. Notice the loop? Hang the gown on the hook, then press the button again.
9. Well, you've made a little progress. Don't give up now.
10. You'll have to block the drain.
11. There's only one thing large enough to completely cover the drain.
12. Cover the drain with the towel, then push the button again.
13. Oh, well. Forging ahead, you'll have to block the tiny robot panel.
14. Standing or lying in front of the panel won't work.
15. You'll have to put some object in front of the panel.
16. If it isn't bulky enough, the cleaning robot dashes around it.
17. Examine all the objects around.
18. The satchel is bulky. Put it in front of the panel, then push the button again.
19. At this point, brave men have been known to break down and cry.
20. Read, very carefully, the paragraph when Ford goes to sleep.
21. Note that when you placed the satchel in front of the panel the response was 'The satchel is now lying on its side in front of the panel.'
22. The point of the two previous hints is that you can put an object on top of the satchel.
23. Put something on the satchel, then push the dispenser button again.
24. Notice that the upper-half-of-the-room cleaning robot just manages to catch the second item.
25. Perhaps if there were several items on the satchel, they would all fly in the air and confuse the flying robot.
26. Unfortunately, there's only room for one object on the satchel.
27. Do you have an object, or have you seen an object, that when flung into the air might act as many items?
28. Remember that when the upper-half-of-the-room cleaning robot grabbed the babel fish, before you put an object on the satchel, the text said that the fish was "the only flying junk" that the robot found.
29. Put the pile of junk mail on the satchel, then press the dispenser button again.
when puzzles were puzzles