http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 04:58:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomb Raider: Underworld  (Read 6813 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2008, 01:30:17 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 03, 2008, 04:57:42 AM

Can't agree on the overblown soundtrack- I think it's fantastic and I've been very impressed by the scores in all three CD Tomb Raider games.

like i said, it's nit-picky on my part, but the whole thing sounded very 'god of war / epic adventure' generic to me, particularly when the early games made due for the most part with nothing but bits of creepy ambient weirdness... &, of course, that amazing, unforgettable trademark theme song smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2008, 01:42:06 PM »

The whole smashing stuff is a bit silly.  Even a girl like Lara should realize that a culture's simplest pottery still has a great value to archaeologists.  I'd expect someone like Nate from Uncharted to do that, he's a treasure hunter.  But not Indy or Lara.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2008, 04:05:12 PM »

I picked this up for free over the weekend at Gamestops B2G1 free used sale and my initial impressions are pretty much the same as KG's.  the camera makes me want to scream at times and combat is amazingly 'meh'- pump a ton of bullets into and enemy, move on to the next.  there have also been a few spots where I could not figure out what to do next due to the ledge/hole/whatever blending in too well due to either the graphics or it being just too freaking dark.

still, I'm enjoying it (whether or not that would be true had I spent 60 bucks on it is up in the air) and look forward to seeing how this all ends.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2008, 04:08:05 PM »

I also got it the same way Ceekay got it.  I only played the Mediterranean level, but I had no issues with camera or anything like that.  I loved the level (especially the hectic event at the end before you go to Thailand) and enjoyed my time with the game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2008, 04:12:18 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 29, 2008, 04:08:05 PM

I also got it the same way Ceekay got it.  I only played the Mediterranean level, but I had no issues with camera or anything like that.  I loved the level (especially the hectic event at the end before you go to Thailand) and enjoyed my time with the game.

Thailand (where I currently am in the game) is were my main issues with the camera have been.  there are one or two blind jumps in the starting area where if you screw up you have to do a bunch of climbing to get back to them again, and since there's water to break your fall there's no quick checkpoint reload due to death.

Because I can,
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2008, 11:06:17 PM »

How bad is the camera overall?  Are we talking about a camera as frustrating as Star Wars Force Unleashed's camera?  That camera was awful, and really made the game a fight to get through.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2008, 04:50:38 AM »

Quote from: Fez on December 29, 2008, 11:06:17 PM

How bad is the camera overall?  Are we talking about a camera as frustrating as Star Wars Force Unleashed's camera?  That camera was awful, and really made the game a fight to get through.

Hmmm...I just bought this (Force Unleashed) recently and have had no issues with the camera, either.  What is it about the camera that you guys have such problems with?

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 30, 2008, 04:50:38 AM

Hmmm...I just bought this (Force Unleashed) recently and have had no issues with the camera, either.  What is it about the camera that you guys have such problems with?

I didn't have many problems with the SW:FU camera as well in the 360 version, except that it became zoomed in to an annoying degree or positioned poorly at times. If you're referring to the Wii version I would agree more with the comments, as the camera issue was multiplied in some of the levels due to their smaller size.

The issue with the TR Underworld camera is different as it's more related to the inability to see specific handholds. In my experience with the game those occurrences were uncommon and I was sometimes able to work around them by backing up and then moving back to the same position. As well, during the few times I was restricted from seeing the next handhold I could often determine its location by the fact that Lara would lean or gesture to jump in the correct direction and wouldn't make such a gesture in an incorrect direction. I've been replaying TR Anniversary since and it's something that distinguishes the 2 games; Anniversary will indicate Lara can make a jump where it's not possible whereas Underworld usually won't.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2009, 03:38:07 PM »

seriously, whoever designed the camera needs to be forced to watch his mom give everyone who bought the game a titwank while being accompanied by a camera man who gives him tips on getting the best action shot.  and don't get me started on the person who decided some of the events needed to be as obscure as possible.  it spent about 4 tries on the part with the Mayan calendar thinking there had to be a way to climb down to get inside once the underground opens before I remembered seeing a cutscene with her driving the motorcycle into the entrance.  couldn't she have dropped a hint like 'there's no way I'll make it in time by climbing'?

Because I can,
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2009, 11:26:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 20, 2009, 03:38:07 PM

and don't get me started on the person who decided some of the events needed to be as obscure as possible.  it spent about 4 tries on the part with the Mayan calendar thinking there had to be a way to climb down to get inside once the underground opens before I remembered seeing a cutscene with her driving the motorcycle into the entrance.  couldn't she have dropped a hint like 'there's no way I'll make it in time by climbing'?

kids today smile ...

How can I get a babel fish?
(from the official 'hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy' hint book)

Answers:

1. This puzzle has more clues than a Hitchhiker's Guide Mark IV has options.

2. Have you tried pressing the dispenser button?

3. You need to block the small hole.

4. Let's hope you aren't stuck here, because it only gets harder.

5. It has something to do with the hook above the hole.

6. You need to hang something on the hook.

7. Examine the gown.

8. Notice the loop? Hang the gown on the hook, then press the button again.

9. Well, you've made a little progress. Don't give up now.

10. You'll have to block the drain.

11. There's only one thing large enough to completely cover the drain.

12. Cover the drain with the towel, then push the button again.

13. Oh, well. Forging ahead, you'll have to block the tiny robot panel.

14. Standing or lying in front of the panel won't work.

15. You'll have to put some object in front of the panel.

16. If it isn't bulky enough, the cleaning robot dashes around it.

17. Examine all the objects around.

18. The satchel is bulky. Put it in front of the panel, then push the button again.

19. At this point, brave men have been known to break down and cry.

20. Read, very carefully, the paragraph when Ford goes to sleep.

21. Note that when you placed the satchel in front of the panel the response was 'The satchel is now lying on its side in front of the panel.'

22. The point of the two previous hints is that you can put an object on top of the satchel.

23. Put something on the satchel, then push the dispenser button again.

24. Notice that the upper-half-of-the-room cleaning robot just manages to catch the second item.

25. Perhaps if there were several items on the satchel, they would all fly in the air and confuse the flying robot.

26. Unfortunately, there's only room for one object on the satchel.

27. Do you have an object, or have you seen an object, that when flung into the air might act as many items?

28. Remember that when the upper-half-of-the-room cleaning robot grabbed the babel fish, before you put an object on the satchel, the text said that the fish was "the only flying junk" that the robot found.

29. Put the pile of junk mail on the satchel, then press the dispenser button again.

30. Voila!

when puzzles were puzzles smile ...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:40:51 PM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2009, 11:57:45 PM »

I was so proud of myself when I figured that out without any help as a kid.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2009, 12:09:59 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 20, 2009, 11:57:45 PM

same (& i wasn't a kid smile ) . otoh, gaming-wise, there was little else to do back then but figure out shit like that smile ...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2009, 12:12:02 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on January 21, 2009, 12:09:59 AM

same (& i wasn't a kid smile ) . otoh, gaming-wise, there was little else to do back then but figure out shit like that smile ...

That's the big difference.  I couldn't see myself attempting that game today, but I did love it at the time.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on January 21, 2009, 12:09:59 AM

Exactly. And why it could take months sometimes, and you'd involve your friends for a little extra brain-power, draw maps as you went... those were the days. None of this namby-pamby "I've been stuck for 5 minutes so off to the Internet for a walkthru" stuff. icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2009, 09:50:31 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 30, 2008, 04:50:38 AM

I hated the fact that it took so long to swivel around and you couldn't see what was behind you.  I learned to run away, block, and then while blocking turn the camera.  I also didn't care for the targeting system clunkiness -- sometimes I just couldn't target the mob I wanted to (heck, Fallout 3 sometimes is frustrating when you can't get the right body part to highlight in VATS).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2009, 04:49:59 PM »

well, the first DLC is due on Feb. 10th, and I'm really debating whether or not I'll hang onto the game to get it.  I can't have much farther to go, and at this point it's starting to feel like work to me  icon_frown

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2009, 06:05:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 23, 2009, 04:49:59 PM

well, the first DLC is due on Feb. 10th, and I'm really debating whether or not I'll hang onto the game to get it.  I can't have much farther to go, and at this point it's starting to feel like work to me  icon_frown

The ending might change your impression; IMO the best TR ending yet. slywink
I only rented the game, so I doubt I'll get the DLC and rent it again.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2009, 07:32:05 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 23, 2009, 06:05:18 PM

The ending might change your impression; IMO the best TR ending yet. slywink

well, I finished the game last night, and since it's only the second Tomb Raider that I've finished I really don't have much to compare it too, but I felt kinda let down.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was hoping to get a chance to give either the Doppleganger, Amanda or Natla a spanking but didn't get to do any of those.

Overall I liked Legend better, and you have to wonder what Lara will do with both Mjolnir and Excalibur.  Once I got the hammer the combat got overly easy, but that was good as I was getting sick and tired of the thralls and generally poor combat system.

I'm out for the DLC- I went and traded it in today and got 27 bucks for it- not too bad as I got it for free.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2009, 05:42:17 PM »

I wound up picking this up 50% off at Circuit City and am partway into the Thailand level. I'm basically seeing what others saw with respect to the camera (both having trouble seeing where I am supposed to go and getting stuck in ridiculous stuttering views of the back of Lara's head) and the combat, but the platforming is exactly what I want in a Tomb Raider. The new rappel move is very cool and there are so many new realistic looking animations. The way Lara moves around when free-climbing and the way she walks down stairs (stolen from Uncharted, granted) often gives the impression that you're watching a real person.

One thing I don't like is that you can often see places in the level that you can't get to or aren't supposed to use yet. For example, in the Kraken room, you can see that there are a series of ledges on the upper level with a place to get down, and swing point on the ceiling to get over there. I figured that that might be a relic spot, so I spent a lot of time trying to get on to the top of the other side. Finally I gave up and found out that it was an area you visit on the way back, but I had no way of knowing. There was another similar area at the start of the Thailand level (at least I think it is).

And yeah, I'm sort of creeping myself out finding these videogame characters attractive  icon_lol I am having the same issue with Ashe in FFXII. Damn developers are getting a little too good. But I downloaded Lara's blue wetsuit, so I at least had to try it our, right? biggrin

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2009, 08:06:14 PM »

I beat the game last night and had a great time with it.  I have downloaded the DLC so will give that a try probably tonight.  I was pleased with the game and though I ran into camera aggravation a couple of times, it really didn't bother me much.  I realized in playing, though, that it had been a long time since I played Legend and so I had really forgotten who Amanda was and I didn't play Anniversary (somehow I missed that one) and didn't know who Natla was.  After beating the game, I went to wikipedia and read the story summaries of all three games and it all makes sense now.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2009, 03:48:05 AM »

So, I downloaded and played both DLC missions this weekend/tonight. These are a lot better than the PoP DLC, which I was really disappointed by. They are probably both a bit too expensive for their length, but both are worth playing at some point.

Beneath the Ashes fits very well as an extra level from Underworld - it has a very twisty path that often crosses back over itself and there are several puzzles to solve. There are some jumps you need to make that I felt they didn't playtest very well, but overall it is very well put together, if not as awe-inspiring as some of the larger Underworld levels.

Lara's Shadow, on the other hand, is more like a Legend level in that the path you take is fairly linear. This does not mean you are only making your way through hallways - in fact, it has some very large environments. But the path you take is fairly clear once you spot the handholds, etc. What I really enjoyed about this level as DLC is that you don't play as Lara, but as her doppleganger. You get special powers for climbing, running and fighting, so it feels pretty fresh instead of just another level. I was really surprised - with the exception of some insanity towards the end, I really enjoyed this DLC, more than Beneath the Ashes.

Both episodes extend the story of the original game, and in fact you don't understand what has happened in Beneath the Ashes until you play Lara's Shadow.

So there you go. IMHO both episodes are worth playing, although if you only play one I would recommend Lara's Shadow just for the change of pace. They are both probably a little overpriced for their length, so hopefully they will go on sale at some point. Bundling these together would have made a lot of sense due to the story and it's a shame they didn't.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2009, 12:32:19 PM »

Your comments match most of the reviews I've seen online. 

Story-wise, would it be better to play the second one first, or is it more interesting to wonder what was going on and have it revealed in Shadow?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2009, 01:17:21 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 24, 2009, 12:32:19 PM

Your comments match most of the reviews I've seen online. 

Story-wise, would it be better to play the second one first, or is it more interesting to wonder what was going on and have it revealed in Shadow?

That's an interesting question. I think they are intended to played in the order that they were released, but the second one picks up right after the end of of Underworld and you could argue it feels right to play it first. Either way, you will confused about the story until you play the other.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: