http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 07:18:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomb Raider: Underworld  (Read 3155 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2007, 02:42:44 AM »

Sorry, no Kate Beckinsale included.  Still, it's cool to see they are going to continue with the story from Legend.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 07:36:08 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 04:09:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 15, 2007, 02:42:44 AM

Sorry, no Kate Beckinsale included.  Still, it's cool to see they are going to continue with the story from Legend.

It's almost like they said, "The first one was great.  We'll redo that then throw out the garbage that followed to create a new storyline."

I'm excited about this Laura renaissance.  She was always a good character who was wasted horribly.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 04:20:14 AM »

Very much looking forward to this.  I thought Legend was great. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 05:47:52 AM »

Looking forward to it too.  Also need to play Tomb Raider Anniversary.  I love the Tomb Raider/Prince of Persia hybrid that's come about in the last year.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 06:16:03 AM »

Screenshots

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 06:21:47 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 15, 2007, 06:16:03 AM

she's a dirty, dirty girl  icon_twisted

Because I can,
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 07:27:42 AM »

Who is Tom?
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 07:29:38 AM »

I really enjoyed Legend, but I couldn't stand the camera/controls in Anniversary and gave up. If Underworld is a follow-up to Legend then count me in.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 07:36:24 AM »

Quote from: naednek on December 15, 2007, 07:27:42 AM

Who is Tom?

Bob's sister.

Because I can,
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 08:16:34 PM »

YES!  Legend was brilliant.  I'm coming back Lara!  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 08:58:58 PM »

Looks cool.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 09:48:33 PM »

Quote from: naednek on December 15, 2007, 07:27:42 AM

Who is Tom?

He's my friend on MySpace.  You're probably not cool enough to know him.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 09:56:47 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on December 15, 2007, 08:16:34 PM

YES!  Legend was brilliant.  I'm coming back Lara!  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Yeah, and you can get it for $16.96 at CC now too.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 03:05:06 AM »

Man this game is starting to look really good!!

http://www.viddler.com/explore/X3F-TV/videos/69/35.702/

Damn the man, another game to add to my holiday shopping!!!
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 03:12:05 AM »

I can't resist a good Tomb Raider game. Day one purchase for me.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 04:31:19 AM »

There's a great new trailer at GameTrailers that shows off some beautiful scenery and gives some hints about the storyline.  It looks to be a direct continuation of the Avalon story from Legend, and it looks like some pretty major events will take place in the game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 05:12:45 AM »

Can't wait.  Sounds like Keeley Hawes is back as Lara again- I thought she did a fantastic job in Legend. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 02:24:12 PM »

this & the new pop supposedly release the same day - now that's a serious saturday afternoon pulp double-feature smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 04:37:38 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on August 24, 2008, 02:24:12 PM

this & the new pop supposedly release the same day - now that's a serious saturday afternoon pulp double-feature smile ...

yeah, I was considering PoP too but if it is indeed releasing the same day then PoP will stay on my 'wait until next year' list because, as it stands, there are already 3 games scheduled to come out that week that I'm getting.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 05:07:45 PM »

Demo in October and 360 gets exclusive DLC starting this holiday already.

http://kotaku.com/5059493/eidos-reveal-exclusive-360-tomb-raider-underworld-dlc
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 05:22:01 PM »

11/18?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 05:23:25 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on October 06, 2008, 05:22:01 PM

11/18?

PoP is early December now. 
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 08:54:48 PM »

Thanks!

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 02:48:06 PM »

Apparently the demo is up on XBL now....damn you work!  crybaby
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 03:37:31 PM »

It is.  1.2 GB. 

I played about half way through so far.  There are some minor camera and control issues, and there are times when it wasn't clear where I sould be going, and I'm not talking about before embarking on a series of platforms, I'm talking about midway through said platforms.  I'd be on a pillar, looking around and couldn't, for the life of me, figure out where I was supposed to jump.  Sometimes it was a camera issue, but other times it was just that the route wasn't clear.

I went off on that last bit longer than I meant to, because it really seems to be quite good.  It's gorgeous, first of all, and it really recaptures that feeling from the very first game where you'd pull yourself up onto that last ledge and an amazing vista would suddenly, stunningly be revealed to you.  The controls are mostly very good.  There were a couple of jumps that seemed a little too unforgiving, but I think those could be tweaked by release.

It was on my IN list already, but now I'm more confident in that choice.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 03:37:54 PM »

Damn you work, and damn you Fallout 3!

I've got the game preordered, so I think with all the other games out now, I'm going to pass on the demo and just get the game.  Unless impressions of the demo are terrible, then I'll try it to see if I'm keeping the preorder or not.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 03:48:23 PM »

thank god this is a few weeks away still- I don't think I could handle another game right now.  Of course it comes out the same week as Left 4 Dead and the NWN2 expansion....

Because I can,
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 05:19:52 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 28, 2008, 03:37:31 PM

It is.  1.2 GB. 

I played about half way through so far.  There are some minor camera and control issues, and there are times when it wasn't clear where I sould be going, and I'm not talking about before embarking on a series of platforms, I'm talking about midway through said platforms.  I'd be on a pillar, looking around and couldn't, for the life of me, figure out where I was supposed to jump.  Sometimes it was a camera issue, but other times it was just that the route wasn't clear.

I went off on that last bit longer than I meant to, because it really seems to be quite good.  It's gorgeous, first of all, and it really recaptures that feeling from the very first game where you'd pull yourself up onto that last ledge and an amazing vista would suddenly, stunningly be revealed to you.  The controls are mostly very good.  There were a couple of jumps that seemed a little too unforgiving, but I think those could be tweaked by release.

Does it start in the beginning (like the Legend demo did)?  I'd rather not jump in half way...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 06:19:55 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on October 28, 2008, 05:19:52 PM

It is.  1.2 GB. 

Does it start in the beginning (like the Legend demo did)?  I'd rather not jump in half way...

Can't tell for sure.  My hunch is that it's not right at the beginning, but it depends on how much info is given out in cutscenes before the level starts.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 09:38:23 PM »

I believe the full game starts out with Lara underwater, so it looks like the demo is a level from later in the game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 10:34:45 PM »

Thanks.  I may have to pass, as I know I will be getting this one early.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2008, 06:53:18 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 28, 2008, 09:38:23 PM

I believe the full game starts out with Lara underwater, so it looks like the demo is a level from later in the game.

At the beginning of the demo Lara's talking with HQ about a connection between Norse mythology and a Thailand temple, so my guess is that it's very early on in the game if not at the very beginning. That's a pretty far out premise to base a story on, so if that's what they're going with they'll need lots of time and gameplay to spin the tale. I just finished the demo tonight and I have to say I was blown away by it. That has to be the best flora and fauna I've ever seen modeled in any game. The water was damn impressive too, in fact the whole environment WOWed me; it's as beautiful as Lara.  slywink I also loved the new moves and athletic abilities they've given Lara. They're subtle additions if anything, but their enhancement to an already excellent game mechanics is noticeable none the less. Excellent demo and if the rest of the game is as good this will be one of the best Lara Croft games yet.

Definitely a game I'll break my 'no offline mplay = no buy' rule for. Of coures I haven't heard if this is going to be available on gametap like the last in the series, so I'm not sure if it'll be a day 1 purchase or download.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 07:00:59 AM by kronovan » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2008, 12:28:41 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on October 29, 2008, 06:53:18 AM

At the beginning of the demo Lara's talking with HQ about a connection between Norse mythology and a Thailand temple, so my guess is that it's very early on in the game if not at the very beginning. That's a pretty far out premise to base a story on, so if that's what they're going with they'll need lots of time and gameplay to spin the tale. I just finished the demo tonight and I have to say I was blown away by it. That has to be the best flora and fauna I've ever seen modeled in any game. The water was damn impressive too, in fact the whole environment WOWed me; it's as beautiful as Lara.  slywink I also loved the new moves and athletic abilities they've given Lara. They're subtle additions if anything, but their enhancement to an already excellent game mechanics is noticeable none the less. Excellent demo and if the rest of the game is as good this will be one of the best Lara Croft games yet.

Definitely a game I'll break my 'no offline mplay = no buy' rule for. Of coures I haven't heard if this is going to be available on gametap like the last in the series, so I'm not sure if it'll be a day 1 purchase or download.

The fact that they're talking about the connection between the Thailand temple and Norse mythology is what led me to believe that this may be a little further in.  Or that there are a lot of cutscenes before this.  You can't just start talking about Norse mythology without having done something with it previously.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »

I'm pretty sure that it's relatively early in the game.  The Thailand area has been one of the most frequently previewed areas and it seems like preview copies more often than not focus on relatively early game stuff. 
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2008, 07:16:15 PM »

Agreed. It was pretty frustrating to not know where to go, jump off and fall, then have to redo the whole thing and still figure out where you were supposed to go. I turned off the demo after I got to the top of somewhere, accidentally wall jumped to my death, and then had to start over down at the bottom.

The game looked beautiful though. I beat Legend and really enjoyed it, so waiting to see what the reviews say before deciding.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 08:07:46 PM »

Quote from: Simon on October 29, 2008, 07:16:15 PM

Agreed. It was pretty frustrating to not know where to go, jump off and fall, then have to redo the whole thing and still figure out where you were supposed to go. I turned off the demo after I got to the top of somewhere, accidentally wall jumped to my death, and then had to start over down at the bottom.

The game looked beautiful though. I beat Legend and really enjoyed it, so waiting to see what the reviews say before deciding.

I think what you're both describing here will likely become more recognizable and easier with a bit of play time. There's no doubt that the climbing and acrobatic jumping sequences are going to be more challenging than in the prequels. What I noticed is that navigable ledges and hand holds aren't nearly as recognizable this time around. They're all still there in plain view and actually quite obvious once you see them, but they're much more blended into their surroundings. I also found that camera restrictions could often be worked around by slight adjustments to your current position, even sometimes backing up and then returning to the same position.

Something that I experienced in the demo amazed me. I was on top of a pillar on one of the balconies about to make my last jump to another higher balcony. I missed the balcony and ended somewhere outside the lower balcony on a ledge between a wall and a stone carving high above a precipe. I thought about attempting a jump back on to the initial balcony, but because the intervening ledge edge was sloped I was afraid I'd slip off. Since I was between a wall and a stone sculpture -literaly a rock and a hard place slywink - I thought I'd just try the quick wall/stone face grab + jump technique. Much to my surprise through a series of quick jumps which went so fast the camera was literally a blur of confusion I ended up on the above balcony, baffled that I had somehow pulled it off. It's seems to fit with  something I noticed about the overall environment; objects are much better integrated and exploitable by Lara this time around. Instead of the past sequels where there was often only 1 way to advance and missing usually meant a certain death, it seems like they've implemented multiple paths or more possibilities with this outing. I'm going to replay the demo again to make sure what I ended up doing wasn't the intended path, but if my observations are correct this is a 1st for a Tomb Raider game.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:09:26 PM by kronovan » Logged
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 03:23:11 PM »

the game looks beautiful.  Unfortunately the camera is horrible, and lara moves way too fast.  I mean she swims faster than michael phelps.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 03:28:39 PM »

Yeah the movement is just not right.  I heard they pulled the demo?  Is that true?
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 05:27:12 PM »

Looks like it's location #2:

Quote from: Blues News
Word on the demo is: "The demo will have players travelling to the western coast of Thailand - the second destination in Tomb Raider: Underworld - to experience a taste of the adventure that is to come.

For those having control issues/camera/movement issues, can confirm platform?  Is this all on the 360?  Thanks!

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 05:47:02 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 31, 2008, 03:28:39 PM

Yeah the movement is just not right.  I heard they pulled the demo?  Is that true?

From what I understand, they did for a time but it is back out there.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: