http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 05:01:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomb Raider Legend demo impressions  (Read 1825 times)
gameoverman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2006, 09:52:29 AM »

Thumbs up from me.   The 'feel' is TR all the way.  It looks awesome and plays amazingly smooth on my GF4ti 4200.  At this starting location, I get 33 fps @640x480(haha), 24 fps @8x6, and 16fps @1x7.   The amazing thing is it doesn't feel that slow, the responsiveness beats AOD by a mile.

Yeah you 'modern' gamers are snickering I know.

Considering I LOVE TR games, and BF2 and Oblivion won't even run on my setup, I'm very happy.  I'm going to experiment with AA and AF in my display properties.  The ingame AA controls don't seem to have much effect on the visuals or framerate, maybe driver controls will do more.

Finally, this is Lara after taking a dip(she looks very good 'wet').

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 11:04:43 AM »

There's always room in my life for a little bit of Lara.

I shall try this out the first chance I get.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 11:44:50 AM »

See?  I said early on after E3 last year that I was cautiously optimistic.  Guess you guys can all see what I was looking forward to a little earlier than the purchase date. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 05:15:10 PM »

Well I'm trying to download this one again.  My first attempt ended with 'the ZIP file is corrupted' so now I need to deal with everyone else trying to grab the demo at the same time.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 09:44:46 PM »

Well, by using my display properties controls, I was able to play the demo with 4xAA and 8xAF.  It turned a playabe 15-25fps @1x7 experience into a nonplayable 5fps experience, with no noticeable improvement in visuals.   I think the art design is such that AA and AF effects aren't as obvious as in othe games.

Is it just me, or is it impossible to do a standing backflip?  Every time I try, she just turns around and then jumps, what the hell?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 09:58:49 PM »

That was fun.  I'm planning on grabbing the 360 version as it feels like the control will be better with the controller.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 10:01:45 PM »

Or you can buy the 360 wired controller and use it with your PC. slywink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 02:25:09 AM »

Man, the performance really is impressive.  It's the first game in a long time I could boost to my monitor's native res (1680x1050) and have it still be completely smooth.

Very impressed so far though I'll definitely be picking it up for a console vice a PC.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 03:10:07 AM »

A must have.  Loved it.  Excellent graphics, smooth as butter, nice controls, and vintage LC all the way.  Really really good.  Can't wait.

I would love to get this for the 360 but it being $60 and the PC version only being $40 makes it hard to not get the PC version.  Damn these prices being so different.  Pisses me off.  Oh well, lucky for you PC-only crowd.  And they say pc gaming is more expensive.  I really wonder over the long haul if that's true since games are so much cheaper now for pc games compared to new gen console games.  

Oh well, either way, I will play this baby.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 10:27:38 AM »

Well the way I see it, I can rent console games, and I'm sure there'll be quite a few people selling their copies after they're done with the game.

I'm more a PC gamer, but some games lend themselves to consoles more.  The primary reason why I have a console is that I can rent games.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 12:42:16 PM »

I too rent the hell out of them.  Most actually, but when I come across the ones I KNOW I want to buy they are sooo much more expensive usually.  But good for me only about 1 in 10 are worth buying.  Made the mistake last gen when the new system came out thinking I had to buy everything that came out.  Sheer stupidity.  The money I save this gen will pay for the next gen for me.

As for the demo, the ONE thing that I did not like was how many shots it took to take down a baddie.  The first one I came across I was behind him, went into aim mode, put the crosshair directly on the back of his head and popped a round into his noggin.  Guess what happened?  Yep, he got mad twirled around and we had a full blown fire fight.  That is just lame lame lame.

Won't stop me from getting the game, but didn't like it much.  Oh, and as for the puzzles, they were just right.  I hate the ones that keep me hung up for hours or make me go consult gamefaqs.  Perfect in the demo.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 02:17:52 PM »

Wow that was fun!  I've played the occasional Tomb Raider game from time to time but inevitably gave up due to hating the controls or jumping mechanics or combat or something.  But this...?  Loved it!

Why couldn't they have done this 6 or 7 games ago?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 08:37:45 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Wow that was fun!  I've played the occasional Tomb Raider game from time to time but inevitably gave up due to hating the controls or jumping mechanics or combat or something.  But this...?  Loved it!

Why couldn't they have done this 6 or 7 games ago?

Realize they fired the original team and gave the franchise to Crystal Dynamics - the guys who made the Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver games.  The first thing CD did was hire the original Tomb Raider producer who hadn't been involved in the last 3 disasters.  Looks like it was a good gamble for Eidos.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 09:56:37 PM »

Awesome, I'm glad you guys are liking the game because I've been optimistic about it myself. Can't wait to pick it up for 360 next week, it'll be my first 360 game purchase!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 05:36:05 PM »

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 06:55:19 AM »

Just got done with the demo, I must say that it looks and plays quite nicely.  It was a fun mix between platforming and shooting.  Platforming feels kind of like Prince of Persia and the shooting is kind of fun run and gun with a decent targeting system.  The shooting kind of reminds me of Dead to Rights or Total Overdose.  Simple, but fun.  I think I might actually purchase this game... I never thought I would actually enjoy a Tomb Raider game.  Of course, I think I will probably get this for the 360.  Maybe just rent depending on how long it is.  The water on her skin and hair is a cool effect.  Just curious, how do you take screen shots in this game?

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 10:41:51 PM »

I use Fraps for any game that doesn't have built-in screenshot controls.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: