http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 08:18:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] To the Moon - Steam release and new episode in the works!  (Read 2471 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »

http://www.freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/

a new indie RPG/adventure about 2 doctors who use technology to give others another chance to live through memories before they die. this one doesn't look like it's going to be a light hearted dungeon romp.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:40:28 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 11:02:32 AM »

Sounds like a good movie
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:39:29 AM »

I tried to watch that movie but I got bored by the 1 minute mark.  Clearly this game is not aimed at me.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 05:38:29 AM »

It looks interesting to me and I liked the music quite a bit, too.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 03:54:09 PM »

Well, after reading a continuous stream of stunning reviews, I plunked down the $11.99.

I was going to test the waters for a bit and played for two hours.  And I was trying to stop for the last half hour, but I just kept playing.

I was expecting something somber and moving, and while that is certainly in there, the game is extremely clever and funny in parts, as well.  And it knows how to pace such moments, too.  Scripting-wise, it's incredibly tight.

Honestly, I'm going to do some other things now, but I may well come back and finish this today.

It's really phenomenal so far.  Go get it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 11:34:46 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 07, 2011, 03:54:09 PM

Well, after reading a continuous stream of stunning reviews, I plunked down the $11.99.

I was going to test the waters for a bit and played for two hours.  And I was trying to stop for the last half hour, but I just kept playing.

I was expecting something somber and moving, and while that is certainly in there, the game is extremely clever and funny in parts, as well.  And it knows how to pace such moments, too.  Scripting-wise, it's incredibly tight.

Honestly, I'm going to do some other things now, but I may well come back and finish this today.

+1

I don't cry at things, I'm notorious for my lack of display of emotion during movies. But To The Moon almost had me bawling. It is, at turns, extremely moving and then very funny, with some ominous "creepy" thrown in. Best yet, it is the first of a series, so expect more of these in the future!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 07:08:35 PM »

Just finished.  I demand that everyone buy this game now.  Amazing.  

Two days ago, I was waiting for it to join an indie bundle of some sort, now I think I would have been happy paying $20+ for it.

It may be my GOTY, as I can't think of another game that has hit on so many cylinders this year.

I can't wait for a sequel (and starting seeing pieces of where it might be going toward the end - especially a small moment after the credits)*, but more than that, I would not be surprised if Hollywood didn't snatch this up.  It's just so well structured.  It would absolutely work as a movie, assuming the right people got involved.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I believe that one of the team (probably Watts) is going through the program themselves (which explains the brief flash in the coda, and somehow it's about a relationship with the other.  This would explain why Watts is so desirous to see the two get together, despite his voiced disdain for all things romantic.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 08:14:16 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 08, 2011, 07:08:35 PM

I can't wait for a sequel (and starting seeing pieces of where it might be going toward the end - especially a small moment after the credits)*, but more than that, I would not be surprised if Hollywood didn't snatch this up.  

Are you saying you would be surprised if Hollywood did or did not get it?  Bit of double negative.  I would assume you mean they will grab it based on the generally positive tone of your comments.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 08:56:16 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 08, 2011, 08:14:16 PM

I can't wait for a sequel (and starting seeing pieces of where it might be going toward the end - especially a small moment after the credits)*, but more than that, I would not be surprised if Hollywood didn't snatch this up.  

Are you saying you would be surprised if Hollywood did or did not get it?  Bit of double negative.  I would assume you mean they will grab it based on the generally positive tone of your comments.

Ran out of brain steam by the end of that, but, yes, I meant that in no way would it not surprise me if Hollywood didn't not snatch that up.  Not at all.

frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 08, 2011, 08:56:16 PM

Ran out of brain steam by the end of that, but, yes, I meant that in no way would it not surprise me if Hollywood didn't not snatch that up.  Not at all.

Maybe because I just ran a few miles and my brain is starved of oxygen....but...I'm still confused by your explanation.  LOL
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 09:50:56 PM »

Well, folks, we're at the top of the half, and here's the score sofar:
 I meant that in no(-) way would it not(-) surprise me if Hollywood didn't(-) not(-) snatch that up.  Not at all.
 I meant that [it would] surprise me if Hollywood [did] snatch that up. Not at all (which is irrelevant to the prior statement, but in its own fashion contradicts the prior statement).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »

Bill Harris mentioned this on his blog a couple weeks ago, and I meant to check it out.  After reading a couple of those reviews, I'm pretty sold.  Especially comments like these:

Those with patience will find 4-5 hours of storytelling that will entrance and move all but the most hard hearted of gamers, and will come out of the experience with many things to think about. For this writer, the chill in the air this morning was a little bit crisper, the sun a little brighter, and his sleeping wife a little more mysterious and beautiful thanks to this game. If that isn't worth $11.99, I'm not sure what is.

As someone who loves story-driven games, this sounds incredible.  Will grab it tonight.

For those who have finished, does it really only take 4-5 hours to complete?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 11:37:41 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 08, 2011, 10:00:49 PM

Bill Harris mentioned this on his blog a couple weeks ago, and I meant to check it out.  After reading a couple of those reviews, I'm pretty sold.  Especially comments like these:

Those with patience will find 4-5 hours of storytelling that will entrance and move all but the most hard hearted of gamers, and will come out of the experience with many things to think about. For this writer, the chill in the air this morning was a little bit crisper, the sun a little brighter, and his sleeping wife a little more mysterious and beautiful thanks to this game. If that isn't worth $11.99, I'm not sure what is.

As someone who loves story-driven games, this sounds incredible.  Will grab it tonight.

Yes, though you could push it to 6.   Much like with the original Portal, though, it's quality far, far outweighs the quantity.

Quote from: Purge on December 08, 2011, 09:50:56 PM

Are you saying you would be surprised if Hollywood did or did not get it?  Bit of double negative.  I would assume you mean they will grab it based on the generally positive tone of your comments.

Ran out of brain steam by the end of that, but, yes, I meant that in no way would it not surprise me if Hollywood didn't not snatch that up.  Not at all.

I meant that in no(-) way would it not(-) surprise me if Hollywood didn't(-) not(-) snatch that up.  Not at all.
 I meant that [it would] surprise me if Hollywood [did] snatch that up. Not at all (which is irrelevant to the prior statement, but in its own fashion contradicts the prior statement).

The "Not at all" was in no way entirely not intentional.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:39:39 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 08, 2011, 11:37:41 PM

Bill Harris mentioned this on his blog a couple weeks ago, and I meant to check it out.  After reading a couple of those reviews, I'm pretty sold.  Especially comments like these:

As someone who loves story-driven games, this sounds incredible.  Will grab it tonight.

Yes, though you could push it to 6.   Much like with the original Portal, though, it's quality far, far outweighs the quantity.

Good to hear, thanks.  I actually prefer a game with a tight, well-told story to one that pads it with endless BS.  Plus, it will give me one more game to add to this year's completed list.  smile

frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 04:29:18 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 08, 2011, 11:37:41 PM

Quote from: Purge on December 08, 2011, 09:50:56 PM

Are you saying you would be surprised if Hollywood did or did not get it?  Bit of double negative.  I would assume you mean they will grab it based on the generally positive tone of your comments.

Ran out of brain steam by the end of that, but, yes, I meant that in no way would it not surprise me if Hollywood didn't not snatch that up.  Not at all.

I meant that in no(-) way would it not(-) surprise me if Hollywood didn't(-) not(-) snatch that up.  Not at all.

The "Not at all" was in no way entirely not intentional.

I'm not at all sure if I wasn't not quite paying attention.  Couldn't you not try to further explain yourself?
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 03:30:51 PM »

Just be warned, calling it a "game" is a bit of a misnomer. There are a few gamey elements, but it is more of an interactive story than a game. That being said, it is the best interactive story I have seen. A far cry from those run-of-the-mill "art house indie games" that try to be deep through shock value. To the Moon is the real deal - if you don't have some sort of emotional reaction to the characters, you are a robot.

EDIT: Also, Laura Shigihara sings. Nuff' said!
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 03:33:21 PM »

Thank you forum effect. Boughted.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 06:34:48 PM »

Any word if it is coming to Steam?  I will only buy it if it does.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 06:07:31 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 07, 2011, 03:54:09 PM

I've had nearly the same experience tonight.  Sat down to give it a quick look, and couldn't tear myself away for nearly 2 hours.  This is a wonderful "game" (agreed that it's more of an interactive story), and I can't wait to see how it all ends up.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 03:43:34 PM »

I almost wrote "interactive story" myself, but I didn't want to put anybody off.

That term has a bit of a negative connotation, and this game elevates it incredibly.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 02:33:42 AM »

It doesn't not impress me to see people cheering on an interactive story, but its lack of presence on Steam means I'mma just gonna wait a bit.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 08:40:04 PM »

My computer seems to dislike the engine they use. Any game made on that engine, my computer pretty much refuses to run. I had posted on their forums for help on one of their games, but they were completely puzzled and even had to bring in the help of another developer using the engine to try to help. Shame as it looks pretty good.
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 05:41:11 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on December 16, 2011, 08:40:04 PM

My computer seems to dislike the engine they use. Any game made on that engine, my computer pretty much refuses to run. I had posted on their forums for help on one of their games, but they were completely puzzled and even had to bring in the help of another developer using the engine to try to help. Shame as it looks pretty good.

I'm impressed they didn't just shrug off your complaint, and went the extra mile, consulting with other developers to try to solve your issues. 
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 09:24:12 PM »

Yeah, I was quite impressed too, although ultimately they couldn't solve my problem. I think it showed that there was interest in getting things to work as I likely wasn't the only one with the problem. There must be something that it doesn't like about my system, because the games made by the engine consistently don't run. It's only an XP system, so surely it shouldn't have too much trouble. Actually, it ran for awhile. I managed to play one of their games one day before all the problems started. Something happened, because the next day when I tried to get back to it, it wouldn't work, and any games I try with the engine just hang and give me an error. It leads me to believe that there's likely a file that they all reference that got corrupted somehow, leading to the hang. Not due to anything I did either, so I think the engine is rather unstable that way, prone to hissy fits and corrupting an important file. I did manage to find a game using an earlier version of the engine that could run, for at least awhile, but ultimately it started running into the same problems and getting unstable and getting corrupted.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 11:31:42 PM »

Just finished...wow. That is probably the most remarkable instance of storytelling I've ever seen in this medium.  Incredibly well done, especially considering the technical limitations of the graphics, sound, etc that they are working with.  I can honestly say I have never teared up over a video game before...until today.  Two scenes towards the end made my room seriously dusty.  What an absolutely wonderful story, and I can't wait to see what they do with it next (Bullwinkle, I agree with your spoilered comment).

Don't be Steam-Scrooges guys, just go buy this game.  It's truly fantastic.

Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 03:01:54 AM »

I really wish this were available for the Mac. From what I've read it doesn't play well with Wine.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 09:26:02 PM »

Best Story of 2011 from Gamestop

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 11:47:27 PM »

it's finally coming to Steam, and anyone who bought it elsewhere will get a Steam key.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 12:13:43 AM »

I'm not sure what happened with the Steam release, but the game is now on GoG for $8.99.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 02:43:51 AM »

YES!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 04:59:18 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 11, 2012, 12:13:43 AM

I'm not sure what happened with the Steam release

last I heard it was still going to be a couple of months.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 06:39:49 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 11, 2012, 04:59:18 AM

That was three months ago, so they've missed "couple".  If they release it now, I'd let them call it a "few" slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 06:49:14 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 11, 2012, 06:39:49 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 11, 2012, 04:59:18 AM

That was three months ago, so they've missed "couple".  If they release it now, I'd let them call it a "few" slywink

this was more recent, but I can't find the source now.  I think it was on a forum somewhere, but it may have been mentioned in relation to Steam's Greenlight deal.

Because I can,
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 07:29:22 PM »

Bah, I just want an iPad version!

The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »

I wasn't that impressed. It may be that my expectations were too high (I was REALLY looking forward to playing it), but as a game I feel it failed. The gameplay was dull and boring (eg. finding random objects and clicking on them), with no meaningful choices, and some silly puzzles.

Now, if the story was great I wouldn't mind. And the story told... was more complicated than I would have thought. It was more complex, and it did mix things with humour and creepyness, nostalgia, regret and love. And I applaud them for making a game with an adult, slow story.

I even like the Zelda-like graphics and music.

But I still didn't enjoy it. I often didn't find the humour funny (too childish maybe? I don't know, I often don't get japanese humour), the story moved very slowly, and a lot of scenes were just not very moving or... important?

I would have rather watched a movie or read a book with this story. I didn't like the game, and think this medium (or game genre) wasn't the best way to tell the story.

*Edited to add: This game could be compared to Planescape: Torment, a game which mixed a fantastic story with good (not great) gameplay. Planescape: Torment DID succeed for me (and many others off course), but why is that? I think it's because the writing is just miles better that To the moon. I was often rolling my eyes at some of the lines, it felt often too corny or cliché...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:21:41 PM by The Rocketman » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2012, 08:40:08 PM »

this finally hits Steam on September 7th, and there is also a new episode in the works with a different patient.

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2012, 01:43:55 AM »

This is out today! 
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2012, 11:29:02 PM »

Just finished tonight.  That may be the first game to ever leave me with tears in my eyes.  I just feel like it’s a shame that the game was made in such a creaky engine.  Redo it with a semi modern engine and it would become an instant classic.  As is it’s still a must play for anyone who loves a great story.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2012, 02:12:39 PM »

Also just finished it, thinking I could just wind down after a late night of work, only to end up playing through the whole thing.

I don't think it's an amazing story overall, there are many cliched elements, soon in other stories. However, it's still a very good story, well told.

I do hope they consider upgrading their tech a bit, not that much, but enough so they could do more with it, especially the actual gameplay. Sale for controls. It could be as simple as a jump from old 8 bit to 16-bit era with free non-tile based movement and a full palette. It's one of the new cases where I do think tech is actually holding them back, just as much as it probably helped them keep the costs low to make this game.

Spoiler for Hiden:
So where did the name Anya come from? Was it just a random name?"

After the big reveal near the end of Johnny and River's early childhood meeting, it was just heartbreaking to remember her decline later on, it's still not entirely clear what was going on, but you can tell she was trying to reconnect with Johnny in her own way, and the failure of it just drove away. So sad to see Johnny just forget what she truly wanted, and the betrayal of it when he revealed his reasons for seeking her out in high school.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 02:06:53 PM »

I've got an extra Steam key for this from getting the latest Humble Bundle.  Free to whoever would like it.  (Except you.  You know who you are.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: