http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 01:29:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Titan Quest on Vista  (Read 1657 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2008, 07:19:48 AM »

Was reading about some people playing this and felt the urge to go through it again myself.  I've gotten a new computer with vista since I played last, and when I go to install it the process starts after inputting the cd key, but then just seems to hang with no disc access or HD activity.

Curious if anyone had tried installing this on a vista machine.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 07:34:30 AM »

When you go to run the install program, right click it and choose to run as administrator.  Or see if you can run it in an XP compatibility mode.  Vista doesn't like old software too much.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 07:41:21 AM »

Roger that.  I'll try that when I get off of work.

One reason I hadn't upgraded my old computer to vista was the compatibility issues.  Oh well hopefully it will work, if not I might go ahead and grab the steam version (assuming it doesn't have vista issues as well).

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 07:59:04 AM »

I installed and ran Titan Quest under Vista with no issues.  Have you tried installing it on another machine?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 08:32:12 AM »

Ah that's good to know CK.  I don't have access to another machine to install it on at the moment.

I'll try the compatibility option and maybe look around some forums.  If nothing works then it isn't a big deal, I got plenty of play time out of the game the first time around.

Edit: well when I got back from work it was installed.  <shrug>  Now I guess I'll wander off and let Immortal Throne sit there until it decides to actually install.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 09:12:28 AM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 04:21:08 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on March 09, 2008, 08:32:12 AM

Edit: well when I got back from work it was installed.  <shrug>  Now I guess I'll wander off and let Immortal Throne sit there until it decides to actually install.

it sounds like somethings definitely up if IT does the same thing.  Has anything else hung like TQ during installation?   if so there might be a problem with the PC itself (not that I'm sure what it would be).

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 04:45:10 PM »

You might check around the fan-run Titanquest.net forums (Iron Lore's dead but the fans running those forums plan to keep going):
http://www.titanquest.net/

Plug "Vista" into the search box and you'll see quite a few threads on diff situations.

Saw a post where a guy had trouble installing TQ in the 64-bit version of Vista, but not in the 32-bit. There was also a mention of needing a particular version of DirectX9 for Vista. Also, NVIDIA has various hotfixes for its videocards for Vista-related issues.

Although some of the Vista threads there deteriorate into "Vista sucks" and "No, everything runs great in Vista for me, you're a moron!" type discussions.  Roll Eyes

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 06:53:30 PM »

Well, I just recently upgraded to Vista-64 bit and I'm going to re-install titan quest.  Never got the chance to really put some time into this game before.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 07:27:04 PM »

Haven't had any other problems like that.  Of course I haven't installed much of anything game-wise on it either.

The game did install (eventually), and played perfectly, so I'm not going to worry too terribly much about it for the moment.

May try installing something else down the road to test.  Most of the things I've installed lately have been downloads, not from disc, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 11:09:44 PM »

I've installed Titan Quest on both my Vista 32 and Vista 64 systems without issue.  I haven't played much on Vista64, but it does seem to run.  I've probably played half way through on my Vista32 system and no problems to report.  I am however using the Steam version of the game, not sure what differences it might have from the retail release.

16-bit and loving it!
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 04:34:29 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on March 09, 2008, 08:32:12 AM

Ah that's good to know CK.  I don't have access to another machine to install it on at the moment.

I'll try the compatibility option and maybe look around some forums.  If nothing works then it isn't a big deal, I got plenty of play time out of the game the first time around.

So did you have to do the computability thing or did the install just start when you were at work?

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 05:00:58 PM »

When I got back the titan quest install was done.  I put in the IT disc and let it sit there on the 'installing' screen for 10 minutes or so... and then it installed. 

Plays fine, so I'm not really sure what the issue is with my computer.  I'll be more motivated to figure out what is going on if I actually buy anything non-download in the future that has the same problems.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 08:29:33 PM »

If you need to work around it, you can always try inputting your CD key into Steam to add it to your account, and download it from there.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 09:23:08 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 11, 2008, 08:29:33 PM

If you need to work around it, you can always try inputting your CD key into Steam to add it to your account, and download it from there.

WAIT WAIT WAIT. How many games on Steam does this work with?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 12:25:13 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 11, 2008, 09:23:08 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on March 11, 2008, 08:29:33 PM

WAIT WAIT WAIT. How many games on Steam does this work with?

according to Steam only these games let you do this.  I tried Dark Messiah and it worked, but I attempted Two Worlds and Call of Duty 4 but it was a no go.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: