http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 01:49:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time Magazine confirms multiple Wii titles  (Read 2594 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2006, 09:23:13 PM »

No, I say this because that's what they've all basically said after getting their hands on dev kit hardware. And I say "at first" because I really have no idea if it's going to work, but for now, developers are trying to figure out how to capitalize on the 'unique-ness' of the the system. Their interest may dry up, absolutely.

I'll echo Andrew.  Developers wanting to play with the system, and actually developing games are two different things.  I think Nintendo will bribe some Japenese dev houses to make a few games, but I just don't see a lot of publishers wanting to try the Wii.  

I mean, how many games actually make profits these days, especially with development costs on the rise?  I imagine most companies really have to focus their energies at the dominant platform, and if they can port it easily, then I bet they do.  

Even if Wii is the coolest console system ever, unless it sells well and Wii owners buy third party games in masse, I'm not sure third party developers will risk it.  What's that saying, "fool me once, shame on you" (N64), "fool me twice, shame on me" (cube)...

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2006, 09:33:34 PM »

This will never happen. Why? Upgrades to a console (short of the Dual Shock Controller - and that is because it became the new pack-in with the console itself) ALWAYS fail, for one reason always - you split the demographics of the console. Who has the Wii like controller? Who doesn't? It's not worth programming two completely different controller schemes (in addition to reprogramming parts of the game itself) for the few who might own the 'different' controller.

It'll be exactly like the dual shock, and how third-parties released games that would work with digital and analog controllers. Sony and Microsoft will pack them in and the developers will add basic support for it. You won't see FPS games where you can twist your arm and the hand on screen twists, but developers will add support to mirror current FPS controls on the new controller.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2006, 10:10:16 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
No, I say this because that's what they've all basically said after getting their hands on dev kit hardware. And I say "at first" because I really have no idea if it's going to work, but for now, developers are trying to figure out how to capitalize on the 'unique-ness' of the the system. Their interest may dry up, absolutely.

I'll echo Andrew.  Developers wanting to play with the system, and actually developing games are two different things.  I think Nintendo will bribe some Japenese dev houses to make a few games, but I just don't see a lot of publishers wanting to try the Wii.  

I mean, how many games actually make profits these days, especially with development costs on the rise?  I imagine most companies really have to focus their energies at the dominant platform, and if they can port it easily, then I bet they do.  

Even if Wii is the coolest console system ever, unless it sells well and Wii owners buy third party games in masse, I'm not sure third party developers will risk it.  What's that saying, "fool me once, shame on you" (N64), "fool me twice, shame on me" (cube)...

Well considering that on a daily basis you can see quotes from developers and publishers about how they are making and publishing games for the system on the IGN channel, I'd say that, at first, the Wii is getting good 3rd party support, THQ, Ubisoft, EA, Activision and Vivendi are all Western publishers who are on board. Not to mention that all the Japanese houses are already on board.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2006, 10:55:48 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Golden Eye was huge but it didn't change the fact that Playstation One outsold N64 by a huge margin.  That's my point - you can have one or two really good FPS's but it won't be enough to sell the system to the Playstation generation.

Yeah, but how much worse would N64 have sold if it hadn't been for stuff like Goldeneye?  I think one of the primary reasons that N64 sold almost double what Gamecube has is that Nintendo was able to produce some real standout gaming phenomenons in Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, and Mario Kart 64.  No title on the Cube has really come close to having any of the impact of those titles.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2006, 10:57:26 PM »

Dang, this thread moves too fast.  Get more engaging jobs, people!

Quote:
As their market share dwindles, so will any 3rd party support who will be lining up to side with MS or Sony, and no, they won't say 'but we'll develop for Wii too!' I want one person to tell me you can forsee a title coming out for X360/Wii or PS3/Wii. Not.Going.To.Happen

How many AAA games come out for both DS and PSP?

And that is sidestepping the case I setup(Home consoles and portables are two ENTIRELY different beasts): my point was Nintendo's strategy to be the 'other' system in X360 & PS3 household doesn't hold up, as I defy you to name multiple games where a developer developed for Gamecube and one other console (xbox, PS2), but not the third. (And I question if RE4 counts, as it was developed for Gamecube only, then ported to the PS2 to make a cash grab at a much larger market.)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2006, 11:03:13 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"

as I defy you to name multiple games where a developer developed for Gamecube and one other console (xbox, PS2), but not the third. (And I question if RE4 counts, as it was developed for Gamecube only, then ported to the PS2 to make a cash grab at a much larger market.)

Viewtiful Joe
Tales of Symphonia
Killer 7

Hey, that's multiple games :wink:
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2006, 11:34:19 PM »

Well considering that on a daily basis you can see quotes from developers and publishers about how they are making and publishing games for the system on the IGN channel, I'd say that, at first, the Wii is getting good 3rd party support, THQ, Ubisoft, EA, Activision and Vivendi are all Western publishers who are on board. Not to mention that all the Japanese houses are already on board.

Wasn't there a lot of promised support for the Gamecube too?  I'll believe it when I see it over the lifetime of the console.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2006, 12:49:12 AM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
Dang, this thread moves too fast.  Get more engaging jobs, people!

Quote:
As their market share dwindles, so will any 3rd party support who will be lining up to side with MS or Sony, and no, they won't say 'but we'll develop for Wii too!' I want one person to tell me you can forsee a title coming out for X360/Wii or PS3/Wii. Not.Going.To.Happen

How many AAA games come out for both DS and PSP?

And that is sidestepping the case I setup(Home consoles and portables are two ENTIRELY different beasts): my point was Nintendo's strategy to be the 'other' system in X360 & PS3 household doesn't hold up, as I defy you to name multiple games where a developer developed for Gamecube and one other console (xbox, PS2), but not the third. (And I question if RE4 counts, as it was developed for Gamecube only, then ported to the PS2 to make a cash grab at a much larger market.)

The point of owning the other/second system is that you need it to play games that are not available on the main system. So if you own X360 then you don't care about games that are X360/Wii. And if you own PS3, you don't care about playing PS3/Wii on the other system. Owning the 'Other' system goal is to play games that are available only on this 'Other' system.

Since X360 and PS3 are about as powerful then most games will be available on both system so you can choose one and you can play all multiplatform games. You choose PS3 if you prefer PS3's exclusive more than X360's ones or the other way around. If you want to be able to play all the exclusives of both X360 and PS3 then you have to be able to afford to pay for two expensive console, not everyone want to do that just to get a few more exclusive games before console prices come down at later years. But if Wii is cheap, then people who want to also play Wii exclusive will pay for the console and I think almost everyone will be interested in at least trying the new controller scheme if they can afford the console.

So you have several categories of console owner household:

1. Those that can't afford expensive console will get Wii.
2. Those that can afford one expensive console will get either X360 or PS3.
3. Those that can afford one expensive console and a second cheaper console will get Wii in addition to X360 or PS3.
4. Those that can afford two expensive console will get both X360 and PS3. Since Wii is supposed to be cheaper then most of the rich and hardcore gamers that own both X360 and PS3 will also be able to afford Wii as third system and some of them will own 3 systems.

From those category it seems like there is a small possibility that Wii will outsell either PS3 or X360 since most PS3 owner will not have X360 and most X360 owner will not have PS3, but both PS3 and X360 owners have a good chance of having Wii as the 'Other' system.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2006, 02:08:16 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"

Wasn't there a lot of promised support for the Gamecube too?  I'll believe it when I see it over the lifetime of the console.

Hey, whatever you have to say to make yourself feel "right" I mean, you were saying support NOW, not over the life of the console, and I do believe no one else was really talking about the life of the console, in fact we were all talking about up front support. I won't even say it's gonna be supported for it's entire life because there's truthfully no way to tell.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2006, 02:24:22 AM »

Oh nos! Now no one will support the Wii, 'cause the PS3's controller knows if it's pointed like, up, or down, or sideways too. Or another stupid comment from me.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: