http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 02:46:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time Magazine confirms multiple Wii titles  (Read 2655 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2006, 01:55:05 AM »

From the latest issue of Time Magazine (with some text 'borrowed' here at this Nintendo fan site):

"The first game I try...is a Warioware title. It consists of dozens of manic five-second mini games in a row. Theyíre geared to the Japanese gaming sensibility, which has a zany, cartoonish, game-show bent. In one hot minute, I use the controller to swat a fly, do squat-thrusts as a weight lifter, turn a key in a lock, catch a fish, drive a car, sautť some vegetables, balance a broom on my outstretched hand, color in a circle and fence with a foil. And yes, dance the hula."

"Itís a remarkable experience. Instead of passively playing the games, with the new controller you physically perform them. You act them out. Itís almost like theater: the fourth wall between game and player dissolves. The sense of immersionĖthe illusion that you, personally, are projected into the game worldĖis powerful. And thereís an instant party atmosphere in the room. One advantage of the new controller is that it not only is fun, it looks fun. When you play with an old-style controller, you look like a loser, a blank-eyed joystick fondler. But when youíre jumping around and shaking your hulamaker, everybodyís having a good time."

"After Warioware, we play scenes from the upcoming Legend of Zelda title, Twilight Princess, a moody, dark (by Nintendoís Disneyesque standards) fantasy adventure. Now Iím... sword fighting with the controller, then aiming a bow and arrow, then using it as a fishing rod, reeling in a stubborn virtual fish. The third game, and probably the most fun, is also the simplest: tennis. The controller becomes a racket, and Iím smacking forehands and stroking backhands. The sensors are fine enough that you can scoop under the ball to lob it, or slice it for spin. At the end, I donít so much put the controller down as have it pried from my hands."

Well, that confirms the use of the RevMote (or is it the WiiMote?) for Twilight Princess. And also confirms Warioware for the console.

E3 is gonna be very interesting...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 03:12:00 AM »

When I read things like this, I have to wonder what they hell the naysayers are thinking when they say this will tank.  What Nintendo is doing for the gaming industry is amazing.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 03:54:26 AM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
When I read things like this, I have to wonder what they hell the naysayers are thinking when they say this will tank.  What Nintendo is doing for the gaming industry is amazing.

The name is beyond stupid. The console itself is anything but. "Revolution" was and remains the perfect name because finally we have a video game console that lives up to its moniker. Curse you Nintendo! Curse you and your obtuse marketing department peyote-smoking wackos!!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 04:09:46 AM »

That all sounds very awesome. I just wonder how Twilight Princess is going to play on the ol' Cube.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 04:16:45 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
That all sounds very awesome. I just wonder how Twilight Princess is going to play on the ol' Cube.

probably be just as fun and exciting, but not wii-citing or wiitastic or just plain wii.

Damn this company, as soon as I think I can get past them and go buy that 360/ps3 they hit me with Virtual Console, then they hit with the strange controller, and then they add to VC with genesis and TG16 and now this report comes down... damn them... If this thing is 199 or 149, good lord watch out as it will be hard to come by.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 07:03:20 AM »

The system would be worth it just to play WarioWareWii.  I can only imagine how much fun that is going to be.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 07:26:42 AM »

I predict it will "tank" in the sense that playstation generation (by which I mean people who grew up playing PS one/two instead of Nintendo) gamers may not like the mix of titles.  There will be plenty of simple, family friendly stuff on it, to be sure, but the PS generation gaming staples of FPS, mature RPG's, and action games won't be well represented. Simple, family friendly games have been proven to sell well on handhelds but the GameCube never managed to find a mix that worked and thus ended up #3 worldwide.

Will they sell a ton?  Very possible, but it will be largely to a new casual gaming consumer.  The question will be whether they can market it to that crowd.  Sony tried with the Eye Toy with only minimal success in the US (though much more in Europe.)

Besides, if the controller is a hit you will see Sony and MS versions very quickly.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 07:33:44 AM »

Even though I have hardly used my GC compared to the other systems seeing the preview of Red Steel in GI has almost turned me around on the system. If they can pull it off that game sounds like it could be allot of fun to play.

If I do ever get the system I'll probably do it online since I don't think I could ever walk up to a counter and say " Do you have any Wii's in stock?".
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 08:10:35 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"

I predict it will "tank" in the sense that playstation generation (by which I mean people who grew up playing PS one/two instead of Nintendo) gamers may not like the mix of titles.  There will be plenty of simple, family friendly stuff on it, to be sure, but the PS generation gaming staples of FPS, mature RPG's, and action games won't be well represented.

PS generation's mature RPG's? What the hell are you talking about? There are only a few mature RPG released on PSX or PS2.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 09:43:56 AM »

Despite the cringe inducing name, I'll be on the boat to get one.

(or is it the WiiMote?)

I so hope it's not going to be called that.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 11:20:25 AM »

I can see the Nintendo execs in their meeting: "Let's make the most freaking cool system out there.  We'll have people salivating over it and then we'll call it the Wii and watch them go ape-shit!  Ha!  That'll be fun!"

That said, I'll still buy one.  I'm so bored with "regular" games with pumped up graphics that I'm actually playing "The Secret of Monkey Island" from 1990!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 01:09:39 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

The name is beyond stupid. The console itself is anything but. "Revolution" was and remains the perfect name because finally we have a video game console that lives up to its moniker. Curse you Nintendo! Curse you and your obtuse marketing department peyote-smoking wackos!!

This is my entire problem with the Wii as well. Great idea, utterly fucked up console name.

Either way, I'm still buying one on day 1. I haven't regretted a Nintendo console purchase yet, so I know the Wii will be well worth my money and gaming time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 01:47:22 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

Regarding the name, and not to beat a dead horse, but this posting from Wired has some interesting thoughts about why they chose it.
http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1467976

xbox live: nude rick james
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 01:58:00 PM »

It may or may not tank....but it wlll be #3 again because the hardcore gamers will want the PS3 and most casual gamers wouldn't be caught dead waving that controller in the air.

It will probabily do ok, because of it's (hopefully) low price.....but the name and the "Look at me! I'm a dork!" factor of this system is what will really hurt it.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 02:01:11 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
It will probabily do ok, because of it's (hopefully) low price.....but the name and the "Look at me! I'm a dork!" factor of this system is what will really hurt it.

Put it in the book, Vito, but I'm calling nonsense on that. Wii is going to be huge.

As for the continued argumentation that it will be 3rd, so what?  MS and Sony are reshovelling the same stuff over and over and as anyone can tell you the biggest game sellers are sequels to established franchises.

Does this mean that Wii will be the BG&E of consoles? I don't think it does.  People are ready for something different. I know I am.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 04:00:22 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
If I do ever get the system I'll probably do it online since I don't think I could ever walk up to a counter and say " Do you have any Wii's in stock?".

I suspect a long-time terminal maker will be getting into the 3rd party controller business.. Can't wait for the advertising campaigns :

"Wii too small? Wing your wii? Try Wang."
"Wrong Wii will wail. Wang wins!"
" Get bigger Wang!"

and my personal favorite :
"Wii harder with Wang."

(sorry, I just couldn't resist biggrin)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 05:25:01 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
It may or may not tank....but it wlll be #3 again because the hardcore gamers will want the PS3 and most casual gamers wouldn't be caught dead waving that controller in the air.

Your thoughts, my thoughts:

-'Hardcore' gamers seem to 'love' FPS, and the Revolution / Wii may be the greated FPS playing system ever created. If games like Red Steel are mature, engaging, enjoyable, and control well, you'll have those 'hardcore' gamers picking up a system. If all three next gen systems get Call of Duty 3, and Wii plays it like none other, you're going to have a hell of a lot of supporters, despite the lesser graphics.

-'Casual' gamers are more likely to try out the wii-stick, in my opinion. Why wouldn't they be caught dead using it? How absurd was the weird rectangular controller that hooked us with the NES? Or the older, crazier Atari sticks? These are the players that aren't set in their own biases (which us hardcore gamers seem to reek of) and are open to trying other things. We're the idiots.

-"Look at me! I'm a dork!"? Again, do you appreciate how goofy video game controllers are regardless? If - if - the system really works, you're going to have players of all ages and, let's say, gaming interest, trying the controller out, and having fun. I still remember the first time I picked up an NES controller and played SMB. It was Nintendo's first revolution, in my eyes - that experience was like nothing before it. There's a reason why video games were called 'Nintendo'. This is what the company wants to do again. I don't know if it's going to work - how could I? But when you see the Wii demo kiosks in Walmart, showing a variety of games - from the shooters to the fishing games - I think you're going to see crowds. You're going to see people getting sucked in, reluctant to let the person behind them play. And you are going to see a spread of different kinds of people enjoying their, well, Wii.

Plus, dude, I think a game like Oblivion is pretty damn 'dorky', but I have complete respect for it, and would play it if I had the system.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 05:29:30 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
MS and Sony are reshovelling the same stuff over and over...
Just like Nintendo.

I mean, the only games mentioned in that article are reshovellings of the exact same tired franchises we've seen for years (in the case of Zelda, over two decades now).  Need I even suggest that the unnamed "Tennis" game will be rebranded to some faggy Mario Tennis iteration?

As long as Vito's got his book out, let me place a bet:  Once all three players are out, (still waiting on the PS3 and the... ugh, fuck you Nintendo... Wii), the Wii will be dead last and will remain there for the entire generation.

The future of the Wii is predictable:  Nintendo's first-party titles will be the only things worth purchasing, since they're the only games that actually use the Wiimote or whatever queer moniker Narketing comes up with.  3rd party titles will either not use the thing, or attempt to use it and fail with their inferior understanding of the hardware.

The games will be OK, but they'll all be rehashes.  Mario Kart Wii.  Super Smash Bros Wiilee.  WarioWareWii.  Legend of Zelda: The Twiilight Princess (guess I should go ahead and get rid of my Gamecube, doesn't sound like that'll ever make it to the Cube after all).  All good ideas, but all tired too.  Especially crap like WarioWare -- the gimmick with that is its originality, and now it's shovelware.  And does anyone seriously want to bet against Zelda including some round number of foozles, (be them dungeons, masks, or... well, that's about it) to interact with before finally gathering up pieces of a triangle which you use to defeat a were-boar? Whoopee.  Or, rather, Whoop-wii.

And the thing is, everyone knows this.  Everyone knows Nintendo's wheels have been spinning in the creative mud for years now, and that most first-party Nintendo games are better understood as Proofs of Concepts for their latest hardware gimmick than actual enjoyable experiences.  I mean, sure, you might end up having fun with them, but that's not what they were made for.

It comes down to your personal capacity for denial.  If you're an N-fan, it's already sky-high, so you're golden.  If you're the Japanese market, it's pretty damn high too.  The Western market is significantly more skeptical though, and that's why proper marketing becomes so crucial.

To summarize:

WHAT NINTENDO NEEDED (to win the Western Market)
-To seperate itself from its purple lunchbox/Pokemon/child molester image, no matter the cost of doing so or the actual quantity of kiddy games it puts out (who cares about actual content if the hardware itself looks cool and has some badass name like 'Revolution?'  I mean, look at Apple).

WHAT NINTENDO DID
-Named its console 'piss.'

PROJECTED RESULTS
-Complete and utter failure in the Western market.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 05:34:42 PM »

PROJECTED RESULTS
-Complete and utter failure in the Western market.

Preposterous!

How do we define success? I'll bet you a can of Coke that Wii is huge.  Now let's define huge vs failure.

Wii will be dead last and will remain there for the entire generation.

As I said before, this doesn't matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 06:05:30 PM »

How do we define success? I'll bet you a can of Coke that Wii is huge.  Now let's define huge vs failure.

Would you consider the Wii a failure in N.A. if it had a lower percentage of the market share here than the Gamecube does now?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 06:12:12 PM »

Quote from: "Victoria Raverna"
PS generation's mature RPG's? What the hell are you talking about? There are only a few mature RPG released on PSX or PS2.

Poor choice of words on my part; I wasn't talking about mature in the sense of the "M" rating, I was talking about mature in the sense that most PS RPG's are aimed at an older audience than those available on recent Nintendo systems.  

There is an entire generation of kids who are now adults who started not with a Nintendo system but with a Playstation system.  After all, it's been 10 years since Sony entered the business and they've been number one ever since. That generation does not give a crap about Mario, Zelda, etc.

Nintendo's established philosophy has been to aim almost all of their first party titles at a broad audience.  While Red Steel may be a great mature FPS, so were Perfect Dark and Golden Eye and it didn't work.  It's been two generations since Nintendo had good third party support and I don't see why we should expect it to be different this time.  I recall them saying the Gamecube would be different in that regard but that didn't work out.

- American Dad
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 06:12:15 PM »

Preposterous!

It has to gain a.) ground over the Gamecube, and b.) respect.

I don't consider 'Nintendo is making money' to be a success state, especially when the Wii is going to be a couple hardware generations behind the curve, and thus cheap to make.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 06:24:42 PM »

:lol:  LE, they make money and that's no indicator of success?  Isn't the point of a business the bottom line profit margin?

fyi,I agree with you on Wii's likelihood of failure, as I think ATB's stance of 'so they are a horizon-distant third place in a market they single-handedly owned once, so what?" completely absurd.  As their market share dwindles, so will any 3rd party support who will be lining up to side with MS or Sony, and no, they won't say 'but we'll develop for Wii too!'  I want one person to tell me you can forsee a title coming out for X360/Wii or PS3/Wii.  Not.Going.To.Happen.

OH, and I loved the cynic (can't remember who it is already) who wrote the Wiimote in Red Steel is 'just a new version of duck hunt!'.  :lol:

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 06:26:04 PM »

I don't consider 'Nintendo is making money' to be a success state

Making money is pretty much the goal of every company I've worked at, and I imagine most of the companies world wide.  Its pretty much the only success state for a company.  Would Microsoft's stock holders rather have future promises of making money on the game division, or to actually make money now, even if a less flashy system?

I agree with a lot of what you said, how the Wii will mostly rehash all of Nintendo's tired franchises, but I think when you measure success or failure of a system, making money is the only true measure.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 06:36:51 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Preposterous!

I don't consider 'Nintendo is making money' to be a success state, especially when the Wii is going to be a couple hardware generations behind the curve, and thus cheap to make.

A. Nintendo has said as much.  To this criterion I will agree.  B. Ridiculous.  Your respect or mine? The 'industry's'? Casual Gamers? Jack Thompsons? Deitrich's?

I don't consider 'Nintendo is making money' to be a success state,
HUH?

especially when the Wii is going to be a couple hardware generations behind the curve, and thus cheap to make.
 One has nothing to do with the other.

As their market share dwindles, so will any 3rd party support who will be lining up to side with MS or Sony, and no, they won't say 'but we'll develop for Wii too!' I want one person to tell me you can forsee a title coming out for X360/Wii or PS3/Wii. Not.Going.To.Happen

How many AAA games come out for both DS and PSP?

Games every bit as innovative as Guitar Hero could be on the horizon for the Wii. If Wii has a game (or games) of the same quality or innovation.  Done. Deal. Success.

Innovation draws attention...and sales if the timing is right...and I think th etiming is right.

Overall, I don't really care that much about the upcoming console war, but I tire of everyone dismissing Nintendo's efforts because 'OMG! Teh Name is teh L@me!'
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006, 06:41:54 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
:lol:  LE, they make money and that's no indicator of success?  Isn't the point of a business the bottom line profit margin?
Of course, but to be clear, I'm talking about a bigger kind of success than sheer profit margin.  I'm talking about Nintendo getting a bigger share of the (home console) market.

If that happens, I'd consider it a 'success.'  If their market share doesn't really shift, I'll say the Wii broke even.  If N's share slips, the Wii failed.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006, 06:42:17 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Preposterous!

A. Nintendo has said as much.  To this criterion I will agree.  B. Ridiculous.  Your respect or mine? The 'industry's'? Casual Gamers? Jack Thompsons? Deitrich's?

I don't consider 'Nintendo is making money' to be a success state,
HUH?

especially when the Wii is going to be a couple hardware generations behind the curve, and thus cheap to make.

As their market share dwindles, so will any 3rd party support who will be lining up to side with MS or Sony, and no, they won't say 'but we'll develop for Wii too!' I want one person to tell me you can forsee a title coming out for X360/Wii or PS3/Wii. Not.Going.To.Happen

How many AAA games come out for both DS and PSP?

Games every bit as innovative as Guitar Hero could be on the horizon for the Wii. If Wii has a game (or games) of the same quality or innovation.  Done. Deal. Success.

Innovation draws attention...and sales if the timing is right...and I think th etiming is right.

Overall, I don't really care that much about the upcoming console war, but I tire of everyone dismissing Nintendo's efforts because 'OMG! Teh Name is teh L@me!'

While I hate the name, my biggest concern is the controller.  While we have heard you will be able to play games with the controller in your lap like a standard controller... I have yet to see any footage of this being done and have yet to hear developers talking about it.  All I hear is about these wild exagerated movements with the controller.  I don't want to play Oblivion by having to swing a WiiMote around like a sword.  I don't want a workout, I want a fun play experience.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2006, 06:52:39 PM »

a.)  And I don't believe them.  Poor marketing in a Western world who only takes their handhelds seriously?  Nah, they're fucked.

b.)  'Respect' as in, not the next Virtual Boy.

So you're saying I could have sold my Pentium 200MHz for nearly as much as I bought my brand new computer for?

When it comes to sales, innovation is overrated.  Indeed, innovation often works against sales.  Finally, we've seen no actual innovation on the Wii front yet.  People call the emulation store a "iTunes for Nintendo games."  The controller is some snap-apart claptrap that combines all the failed elements of extinct controllers, like motion sensors and light guns.  And that's about it in terms of 'innovation.'

If they didn't want to be dismissed as backwards and out of touch, they should have thought of a name that wasn't backwards and out of touch.  Like, oh, 'Revolution.'  "Wii" deserves to be flushed.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2006, 06:54:10 PM »

-'Hardcore' gamers seem to 'love' FPS, and the Revolution / Wii may be the greated FPS playing system ever created. If games like Red Steel are mature, engaging, enjoyable, and control well, you'll have those 'hardcore' gamers picking up a system. If all three next gen systems get Call of Duty 3, and Wii plays it like none other, you're going to have a hell of a lot of supporters, despite the lesser graphics.
When I play an FPS, I use the mouse/right analog to look around and the keyboard/left analog to move forward and back and strafe.  My biggest concern with the Wii is how I'm going to turn around.  You don't have to worry about that with an analog stick and on the mouse you can always lift it up and reset if needed, but are you going to be able to reset it with the Wii.  That's one of my concerns with the system.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2006, 07:11:36 PM »

Without experiencing it, I would say you'll have to worry about it as much as you do with a standard analogue stick, but I'd expect less. Fuck, I can't wait to try this thing out, either to see it succeed or fail miserably. I'm so curious to know what it's like to use that new controller, whether it's a gimmick or a blessing. E3 should be interesting.

While Red Steel may be a great mature FPS, so were Perfect Dark and Golden Eye and it didn't work.

Maybe Perfect Dark, but I know Golden Eye was huge. Everyone played that game. My whole hockey team would play that game against each other. You'd have a dozen kids at school pop over to a buddy's house during lunch to play that game. Golden Eye made us crazy. I must not understand your point with that one.

I want one person to tell me you can forsee a title coming out for X360/Wii or PS3/Wii. Not.Going.To.Happen.

Dude, Call of Duty 3 is going to be on each of the consoles. That will be a very telling title, me thinks.

And someone else said that the Wii's going to be nothing but first party titles, and a system that's abandonned by third party games. I really disagree with this idea. I think third party developers are going to be all over the system ... at first. If they can figure out what to do with it, they'll stick with it. If they can't seem to use the hardware effectively, then yeah, they'll bail out after a while. But, as far as I can gather - and I don't think it's just Nintendo PR - most developers are quite interested to see what they can create on the system. It's whether they can pull off good games on it or not that's the issue.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2006, 07:48:45 PM »

I really disagree with this idea. I think third party developers are going to be all over the system ... at first.

You think this because 3rd party developers were all over the N64 or Gamecube?

If you're a third party developer, and are looking at three systems, one with a 60% market penetration, the next with 50% market penetration, and the third with a 10% market penetration, which do you focus on?  Add to the fact that you'll have to revise your control schemes for the system with the 10% market domination, as well as substantially change your games texture maps and levels to reflect significantly less power on the machine.  Also, looking at research, you find out that owners of the machine with 10% market penetration don't really buy third party games, but only first party stuff.  

So, for a third party to buy into Nintendo, they have to redo textures and geometry, potentially redo sound effects and AI, potentially physics, and then come up with a satisfying control scheme, and hope the very loyal Nintendo base will break tradition and buy non-Nintendo games, something that hasn't happened for two console generations.

If I ran a game publishing company, I'd target the biggest market shares, and the easiest way to hit as many platforms as possible.  Last generation, the three consoles were roughly equivalent in power, and it was a lot more possible to port games.  With the Wii a lot less powerful, I think porting games will be much harder, especially when you have complex control schemes that use every PS3/360 controller button.  I think we'll see a lot fewer third party titles on the Wii.  Unless of course, the Wii gets a very significant market penetration.

---
depward

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2006, 07:52:53 PM »

Speaking of third party developers, Square-Enix is developing a sequel to Crystal Chronicles as well as a Dragon Quest game for the Wii.  That's pretty cool.  From what I've heard, full details should be announced today - 1PST - at the SE press conference.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2006, 07:53:10 PM »

Square Enix's press conference starts at 1:00 PM PDT. Suppopsedly they'll be annoucing two Revolution exclusive RPGs. Current wisdom is that one will be a sequel to Crystal Chronicles and the other is a continuation of an existing franchise.

I'm assuming it'll be some sort of Dragon Quest slime spinoff, but for now I'm dreaming of a new Chrono game.

EDIT: depward sucks slywink
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2006, 07:56:33 PM »

Success as a nebulous definition would adhere to "meeting and / or exceeding one's goals".

They want to sell the product to a profit, have 3rd party titles and gain greater market share.

Nintendo is the only company who are moving their core business in a different direction. MS and Sony are content to fight for the gamer marketshare with gains as new gamers are born, converted or impressed. They are plowing the same field in a new harvest season. Good for them; there's money there. Nintendo instead has redesigned their hardware to go for the harder target; the buyers they HAVEN'T appealed to in the past. They're going for the much larger potentially more fertile "casual gamer" demographic.

Sony and Microsoft are dabbling in the casual gamer market. Just like our good friend Nintendo dabbled in HD and broadband connectivity last generation. Here's our Live Arcade and where it fits in. Sony's episodic content and downloadable games are the same thing.

Will Nintendo's gamble on the Wii work out for them? I think it will; I don't miss using a keyboard when I play Halo, and I'm sure I'm not going to miss the d-pad or the analog stick to aim when I can use the muscles, tendons and framework that I've grown since birth.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2006, 08:21:38 PM »

Maybe Perfect Dark, but I know Golden Eye was huge. Everyone played that game. My whole hockey team would play that game against each other. You'd have a dozen kids at school pop over to a buddy's house during lunch to play that game. Golden Eye made us crazy. I must not understand your point with that one.

Golden Eye was huge but it didn't change the fact that Playstation One outsold N64 by a huge margin.  That's my point - you can have one or two really good FPS's but it won't be enough to sell the system to the Playstation generation.

- American Dad
warning

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2006, 08:40:44 PM »

Here's the thing with the Wii (still sounds silly?  check!).  I hope it succeeds.  Good God I hope it succeeds.  I hope it sells like crack on a NYC back alley.  I hope people who never would play video games want to play it.  I hope my long-dead grandmother who I never met rises from the grave with the remote in her hand and wants to party.  I want to see this succeed because it's trying something new and I really, really get tired of the same old shit in prettier clothes.

Will it succeed?  Hell if I know.  Really no one knows.  We're all just a bunch of silly geeks engaging in Monday afternoon quarterbacking.  We can all present our case why it will or won't be a success but ultimately we're just writing our yellow names in the snow.  I know I'll likely buy one if word of mouth is good and if they have games that look fun.

If the Wii turns out to be wildly successful will that be okay?  Will you be offended?  Will you feel your hobby has been diminished in some way?  Will you feel vindicated?  Will you be relieved?  Do you really feel you have to strongly argue for or against a videogame system?

That said I think in 3-5 years here's how things will shake out:

1. Playstation 3 in the lead but Ken Kutaragi is still moaning about gamers needing more discipline.  The PSP is a distant memory.  Blu-ray and HD-DVD still neck and neck and consumers mostly sitting it out until a clear winner is declared.
2. Xbox 360 close behind.  Yet Vista turns out to be bloated, unnecessary and sucking.  Google is ruling the internet and is releasing Google OS.  Bill Gates is looking more and more nervous.
3. Wii - a solid third place yet still inexplicably making money.  And Nintendo execs still have that weird smile on their faces like they know something you don't.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2006, 08:46:06 PM »

They're going for the much larger potentially more fertile "casual gamer" demographic.

Nintendo is going to need more games then.  If the casual gamer demographic wanted to play Mario, they have certainly had enough chances to already.  I think people are attracted to the games content, not necessarily the control device.  Sure, people will pick up the control and think its neat, then realize all it does is let them jump on mushrooms with a gay plumber, and they'll move on.

The Sims hit it big in the casual area, because of the game, not the technology or control behind it.  Mario, Zelda, and Wario aren't going to draw the casual gamers in no matter what the control.  Nor will one or two third party games draw in a lot of the hardcore players, when they can't go online easily with their buddies.  A lot of gamers will also wait and see where the third party titles are.  Nintendo is good at annoucing a few titles, and then never really following up long term, and as the console doesn't get a big market share, there will be fewer and fewer titles.

---
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2006, 09:01:02 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I really disagree with this idea. I think third party developers are going to be all over the system ... at first.

You think this because 3rd party developers were all over the N64 or Gamecube?

No, I say this because that's what they've all basically said after getting their hands on dev kit hardware. And I say "at first" because I really have no idea if it's going to work, but for now, developers are trying to figure out how to capitalize on the 'unique-ness' of the the system. Their interest may dry up, absolutely.

Now, ports are a whole different matter altogether. I agree with you - I don't think you're going to see many cross-platform ports, even though I did quote CoD 3 as an example of one. When I mean third party titles, I mean games designed solely for the console. I'd guess that this is what Nintendo is really hoping for. And the benefit of lesser hardware is that it should be cheaper to create a game than it would be on the PS3 or 360.

I completely echo Warning's words: I want Wii to succeed, for different reasons. I think it could be a very, very fun system. I can see how it will be successful, and I can see how it will be a failure. How can anyone want the system to fail? Even if they're not personally interested, why the hate?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2006, 09:14:15 PM »

No, I say this because that's what they've all basically said after getting their hands on dev kit hardware. And I say "at first" because I really have no idea if it's going to work, but for now, developers are trying to figure out how to capitalize on the 'unique-ness' of the the system. Their interest may dry up, absolutely.  

I'm sure developers love the hardware, but that still doesn't mean publishers are going to throw money at developing games until the hardware proves it can sell titles. I think what's going to happen is that publsihers will fund one or two :roll: Wii :roll: titles. If those titles don't turn a profit, don't expect to see any more.

Even if they are wildly succesful, I still don't think it'll do much for Nintendo. Let's say the first Wave of :roll: Wii :roll: titles prove to be a smashing success and the controller is ten different flavors of awesome. What happens? E3 2007 Microsoft and Sony announce  they're developing their own knockoffs to be relased before Christmas 2007. Nintendo's advantage evaporates and they're back where they started.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2006, 09:21:29 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Here's the thing with the Wii (still sounds silly?  check!).  I hope it succeeds.  Good God I hope it succeeds.  I hope it sells like crack on a NYC back alley.  I hope people who never would play video games want to play it.  I hope my long-dead grandmother who I never met rises from the grave with the remote in her hand and wants to party.  I want to see this succeed because it's trying something new and I really, really get tired of the same old shit in prettier clothes.

My pharmacist is really psyched for this console, and I don't really consider him (nor does he) to be much of a gamer at 45.

As people learn about how you control games, and Nintendo properly shows off the console in action, I think that the fever of this console will grow like a wildfire. Nintendo has a fantastic idea (and something completely original in the console arena). Now to see how they run with it.

And here's a random thought when it comes to ports. Generally, titles that came out on all three consoles at the same time were obviously PS2 ports to the 'more powerful' consoles. Sure, they ran in Progressive Scan and had antialiasing (or other little graphical upgrades), but they were still PS2 ports. Who's to know that this won't happen again with the Wii and this generation?

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Even if they are wildly succesful, I still don't think it'll do much for Nintendo. Let's say the first Wave of :roll: Wii :roll: titles prove to be a smashing success and the controller is ten different flavors of awesome. What happens? E3 2007 Microsoft and Sony announce  they're developing their own knockoffs to be relased before Christmas 2007. Nintendo's advantage evaporates and they're back where they started.

This will never happen. Why? Upgrades to a console (short of the Dual Shock Controller - and that is because it became the new pack-in with the console itself) ALWAYS fail, for one reason always - you split the demographics of the console. Who has the Wii like controller? Who doesn't? It's not worth programming two completely different controller schemes (in addition to reprogramming parts of the game itself) for the few who might own the 'different' controller.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: