http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 06:39:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time has passed - Is the DSi XL a good buy?  (Read 887 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2010, 04:31:40 AM »

I haven't considered the DSi XL since they first came out. I have a PSP and enjoy it a lot. But I keep seeing games and such that make the DSi XL appeal to me. Today I picked up a little advertisement book at Gamestop for Dragon Quest IX. I LOVE that series. I had it on my NES when it was Dragon Warrior. I also got it on my GameBoy SP when it was Dragon Warrior 1 and 2. This new one looks GREAT from what I've seen of it.  It would be a X-Mas deal but that just gives me more time to research it.

Opinions?

PS: Is it online wireless like the PSP where I can surf and watch video and post on msg boards and such?

I have joked about 'kiddie' Nintendo a lot but watching vids of this game and others and hearing the music really brings back old warm memories. I'd love to play the original Zelda: A Link to the Past on this thing smile
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:34:31 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 05:27:14 AM »

The 3DS will be out by March 2011 and will likely cost (at most) $60 more than the DSi XL.  I'd suggest waiting for that.  It does everything the DSi XL does, but is a lot more powerful and already has a ton of first and third party support.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 10:50:27 AM »

Any word whether 3DS will be backwards compatible with regular DS games?

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 12:40:08 PM »

Anybody think the XL will get a price drop when the 3DS releases?

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 01:35:07 PM »

Quote from: DonD on August 28, 2010, 10:50:27 AM

Totally compatible. You just won't get a 3D effect with them (obviously).

At least I think Nintendo has said this anyway. It would be rather dumb if it wasn't BC.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 02:38:13 PM »

I think it's a matter of how much the larger screens matter to you.  I think I remember seeing that the 3DS screens are about the same size as the DSi or maybe lite, but I can't remember. 

My decision was for the XL, and I'm still happy with that.  As cool as the 3DS looks, we all know that within two years, Nintendo's going to put out a swankier model of it, and I'll grab it then.  By that time, the game library will have matured too.  Until then, I've got these here huge screens.  smile

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 28, 2010, 04:31:40 AM

I'd love to play the original Zelda: A Link to the Past on this thing smile

Don't think you can- the XL and DSi removed GBA support.  If you want to play GBA carts then you need to get a vanilla DS Lite. 

If you do get DQ9, don't forget about DQ4 and DQ5, both of which have DS versions.  DQ6 should be coming stateside in the next year. 
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »

I guess I'll wait on the 3DS and then get a XL on sale. I'm not interested in something that will give me a headache or not support DSi games. Like someone said the 3DS will have a new model sometime soon after it's release so maybe then we'll see.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 10:09:28 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 28, 2010, 02:46:06 PM

Don't think you can- the XL and DSi removed GBA support.  If you want to play GBA carts then you need to get a vanilla DS Lite. 

really?  damn, good to know  thumbsup

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 11:11:08 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 28, 2010, 09:41:19 PM

I guess I'll wait on the 3DS and then get a XL on sale. I'm not interested in something that will give me a headache or not support DSi games. Like someone said the 3DS will have a new model sometime soon after it's release so maybe then we'll see.

Not support DSi games? Isn't there like one (or at most, a handful) of actual DSi games (that require the new front camera that comes with the DSi)? Yeah, you lose out on DSiWare, but isn't most of that just bubkis anyway?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 10:18:38 AM »

Well Im interested in the new Mario 25th ann red XL . The UK get the pack with Super Mario Bro world or so and here in the US we get Mario Kart...YUCK! Why do we get a racing game i have no interest in and they get the one I want?.. ALWAYS...sigh. Maybe I can order the UK version. But i always use Wal-Mart for the easy return or exchange if something is wrong with it. GRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 28, 2010, 01:35:07 PM

At least I think Nintendo has said this anyway. It would be rather dumb if it wasn't BC.

I'm waiting for the 3DS, I just wish people would start taking pre-orders already!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 06:44:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 13, 2010, 06:01:14 PM

Quote from: Destructor on August 28, 2010, 01:35:07 PM

I'm waiting for the 3DS, I just wish people would start taking pre-orders already!

Why?  I don't get the rush to place a pre-order.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 09:53:57 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on November 13, 2010, 06:44:23 PM

Why?  I don't get the rush to place a pre-order.

With an almost simultaneous Japan/US release, there's going to be a big rush on these at launch.  The sooner you preorder, the better your chance of getting one.  I'm sure Nintendo will produce a ton of units, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS has the highest-ever demand for a new system.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 10:43:37 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 28, 2010, 11:11:08 PM

Not support DSi games? Isn't there like one (or at most, a handful) of actual DSi games (that require the new front camera that comes with the DSi)? Yeah, you lose out on DSiWare, but isn't most of that just bubkis anyway?

Actually, DSiWare is much healthier right now than WiiWare. Granted, that's not saying much, but more developers are starting to work with DSiWare and the release list is growing faster than WiiWare's.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 03:58:30 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on November 13, 2010, 10:43:37 PM

Quote from: Destructor on August 28, 2010, 11:11:08 PM

Actually, DSiWare is much healthier right now than WiiWare. Granted, that's not saying much, but more developers are starting to work with DSiWare and the release list is growing faster than WiiWare's.

The bigger problem is that, unlike the Wii, the DSi won't let you play games from the SD card.  Rumor is that the 3DS will allow this.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 07:09:01 PM »

I believe I'll be missing the DSi iteration and will likely go straight from the DS Lite to a 3DS.  I'm  hoping there will be some information available about upcoming special editions though, before I have to pre-order or buy.  My gold Zelda DS Lite has spoiled me! 

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 07:41:24 PM »

yep..  Waiting on the DS3d too...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: