http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 02:08:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tigerwoods 08 Wii?  (Read 767 times)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2007, 02:01:32 PM »

I've been putting this one off, but I really have the itch to try it. Has anyone played it for the Wii yet? If so is it better than o7. I know 07 had a lot of problems, not the least of which being the controls. So are the controls better on 08 and have the graphics been improved at all?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 02:12:27 PM »

From what I've heard, the controls are better, but not completely fixed this year so I passed.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:08:19 PM »

Don't listen to Devil Scraper.  He's picky to the extreme when it comes to sports games and he is so nearsighted that he can't see the brilliance in hockey games that 2K8 is.  ninja  icon_wink  And he has a bad habit of not answering your sports video game questions.  Just ask Lockdown.  icon_razz I kid big guy!

I have Tiger for the Wii and the controls are just fine.  In fact, they are a true 1:1 ratio.  In other words, you swing the remote and it swings on the screen.  This is especially true when putting.  No delay that I can perceive.  Perfection will never come in sports games so enjoy them now.  I enjoy it because I approach golf video games as a nice fun diversion.  I even walk from my living room to the bedroom and back to the living room again to simulate walking to the next tee.   icon_razz

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »

That's good to hear, Shifty!

You can actually stop your swing in either direction? Going back and coming down? That's great, I might be IN at some point then!

On the other hand, Scraper, Shifty thinks anything that's pressed to a disc is good. He lives in a world of rainbows and flowers.

Tongue

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 03:00:31 PM »

I went ahead and bought this one yesterday on a whim.

I have only played the opening tutorial and one round of golf but so far my impressions are good.

I went in expecting terrible graphics and I can say that I was pleasantly surprised by them, they weren't as ugly as I thought they would be, in fact if EA would use anti aliasing the graphics wouldn't be bad at all. Granted it's no Tiger Woods 360, but it's not terrible either.

The controls have been pretty good too, I did find that the swing mirrored by motions and there wasn't any delay, when using Tiger I was instantly able to hit the ball 300 yards and straight, so I think once I lvl my custom character up and increase his stats I should be pretty good.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 03:13:19 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 09, 2007, 02:20:42 PM

That's good to hear, Shifty!

You can actually stop your swing in either direction? Going back and coming down? That's great, I might be IN at some point then!

On the other hand, Scraper, Shifty thinks anything that's pressed to a disc is good. He lives in a world of rainbows and flowers.

Tongue

Tis true.  I live in a different world than most.  But why in the world is it important to start your swing and then stop it???  I don't quite get that one.  Once you're ready you address the ball "Hellllooooo Balllllll!" and swing!  If I remember correctly Devil your major complaint last year was the delay in the swing.  You hated the fact you would swing and you could watch the delay as your character would swing seconds later.  I agree as I hated that too.  That does not exist this year.  Once you move that remote (holding in A) he is going to swing in a perfect 1:1 ratio, which by the way is also the theoretical relationship between time and antimatter.  In case you did not know.  nod

XM Channel 76
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 03:44:37 PM »

Keep the impressions coming on this one.   I just sold the 360 because it was just so much more of the same.   I'd like to have the Wii functions to make it more of a fresh experience. 

And the graphics.......are they pretty good or meh?

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 08:35:24 PM »

If you go in thinking the graphics are Me, then you probably won't think they are too bad when you actually see them. The courses look ok, with grass textures and sand, water etc, the problem is that the far backgrounds look bad and they didn't enable anti aliasing. The  character models would be decent if they didn't have jaggies all over them.

I did go home at lunch in put in another 18 holes, It was fun and I didn't get too frustrated, my amature golfer needs some practice and stat boosts though. The god thing is that after every round you get xp and can go in and increase stats, like power, accuracy, chipping, spin, etc.

Overall I'm not disappointed and I had the sinking feeling when I bought it that I would get disappointed.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 12:43:49 AM »

Not to completely derail (but it looks like Scraper has us sold on this one) but last year there was also the frequent swings where you would completely lose any connection to your on-screen golfer at the top of your swing. You'd be coming down and he'd be stuck up at his head.

Shifty - You never pull back and then decide that you've done something wrong and want to get out of the swing, or especially in close shots, figure out you might be swinging too hard or soft and want to switch it up/start it over?

Good to hear that the biggest issues seem to be worke out though!

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 01:55:55 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 10, 2007, 12:43:49 AM

Shifty - You never pull back and then decide that you've done something wrong and want to get out of the swing, or especially in close shots, figure out you might be swinging too hard or soft and want to switch it up/start it over?

No.  I usually practice my swing before I hold in the A button to actually perform the swing.  I will simulate my swing several times until I'm happy with it and then I hold the A button and try to perform the actual swing.  I thought that is how everyone does it?

XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 02:38:08 PM »

Probably how you should do it, but I'm not getting all Sergio Garcia and taking 20 minutes between every shot!

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 03:23:02 PM »

but last year there was also the frequent swings where you would completely lose any connection to your on-screen golfer at the top of your swing. You'd be coming down and he'd be stuck up at his head.

I have played several rounds as well as some of the tiger challenge modes now and I can honestly say that I havent had that happen once. The swing has always been smooth.

I'm digging this game a lot more than I thought I would. I think some of the negative press it has gotten is unwarrented. Especially if you can look past so so graphics.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 11:55:36 PM »

The only thing that has kept me from buying this is the lack of Online MP, I like golf as a social game and I want to be able to play against others if my friends can't come over...

Maybe I'll give it a shot, at the least you guys calmed my fears on the swing mechanics. I am the farthest thing from a graphics whore, so that will never be big for me.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: