http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:37:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiger Woods - Wii  (Read 3590 times)
pr0ner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2007, 08:55:58 PM »

I want impressions, dammit!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:40:22 PM »

I don't even have a Wii and I want to know how it plays.  This might be the title that sends me shopping.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 10:33:45 PM »

I should have it tomorrow and, depending how the night goes, I hope to get some time in.

I know this doesn't help anyone now...and...I suck!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 07:46:14 AM »

I read the review at GameSpot which awarded it a 7.5.

Link: http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/tigerwoodspgatour07/review.html

The review said that everything about the game is very good, but the graphics bite. Well maybe not bite, but the article did only rate graphics a 6 out of 10.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 07:57:52 AM by kronovan » Logged
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 12:56:57 PM »

Me wants bad!!

javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 01:15:09 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 14, 2007, 07:46:14 AM

I read the review at GameSpot which awarded it a 7.5.

Link: http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/tigerwoodspgatour07/review.html

The review said that everything about the game is very good, but the graphics bite. Well maybe not bite, but the article did only rate graphics a 6 out of 10.
Commercials certainly seem to show decent graphics, but maybe next to the 360/PS3/etc it's not so good. Frankly, that's not really the point of the Wii at this time.

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 01:56:15 PM »

Review was encouraging.

Is anyone buying a golf game (or anything else on the Wii) for the graphics?

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 03:13:25 PM »

Quote from: Devil on March 14, 2007, 01:56:15 PM

Review was encouraging.

I agree,  graphics are by no means a show stopper for a golf game.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 04:07:01 PM »

Totally agree.  I just want to stand in my living room and slice the shit out of the ball just like I do in real life!  Fun Times!   icon_neutral

Actually, that would be a pretty good indication of how the swing-thing motion detector dealio works.  If I'm slicing balls in Tiger Wii - it's accurate as heck and gets a 10. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 04:08:53 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 05:06:41 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 14, 2007, 03:13:25 PM

Review was encouraging.

Honestly its a huge deal for me. Super realistic courses, ball phsyics, etc mean so much more to me than an approximation of a golf swing that really is no more accurate than a finely tuned stick swing. But obviously to each their own, I jsut like the graphically enhanced courses ont he 360, PS3, and PC.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 05:13:33 PM »

Calvin -

I'm all for physics (very important) and realistic courses but the mere fact that you can actually make changes to your shot while the ball is in the air kinda loosens any perceived grip on reality.

Imagine putting spin on your shot, in REAL golf, after you've already hit it!

The swing mechanic IS the game in this case!

If it's good, the game is good.

If it's bad, you might as well play the PS3/360 version.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 05:30:51 PM by Devil » Logged

depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 05:14:36 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 14, 2007, 05:06:41 PM

Review was encouraging.

Honestly its a huge deal for me. Super realistic courses, ball phsyics, etc mean so much more to me than an approximation of a golf swing that really is no more accurate than a finely tuned stick swing. But obviously to each their own, I jsut like the graphically enhanced courses ont he 360, PS3, and PC.
?  If you had read the review you would have read that they commented how "the courses are faithfully replicated" & nothing bad about "ball physics [sic]."

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 05:18:17 PM »

Quote from: depward on March 14, 2007, 05:14:36 PM

Review was encouraging.

?  If you had read the review you would have read that they commented how "the courses are faithfully replicated" & nothing bad about "ball physics [sic]."

How faithfully can something be recreated if the graphics pretty much suck, which was the gist of the Gamespot review that I read this morning? Faithful representation is primarily dependant on having the graphical capability to recreate the look of something. What is a more faithful recreation, Crysis' presentation of a pacific island or the more primitive presentation of a pacific island in-uh, Medal of Honor Pacific Assault-the answer is clear-and the presentation in crysis is absolutely more realistic and faithful. Its a very simple, objective definition.

And also,next time you "pwn me", remember you don't put [sic] after the word when you correct the spelling, you put it at the end of an incorrectly spelled word that you quote-and using it at all seems very odd.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 05:22:48 PM by Calvin » Logged
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 06:22:42 PM »

Played for about 15 minutes at lunch and......

The golf swing was pretty good but I need to adjust my sensor bar.  Had a friend play and watched his swing and it did follow it on his first swings then on his last shots he took his back swing and when he stopped the golfer on screen was already on his down swing and was finished by the time my friend started down.  My friends wasn't in the same position on every swing so I think it is my sensor bar position.  I usually play on my recliner and it works well there but when I stand up I do have some problems on other games so I don't think it was TW.  We were playing on advance and were slicing and hooking a lot so it is very promising to me.  I will do some setup work tonight and let you know the results later hopefully.

The graphics are not that great.  Jaggies all over the place but not that big of deal to me.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 06:36:32 PM »

Quote from: shon on March 14, 2007, 06:22:42 PM

Played for about 15 minutes at lunch and......

The golf swing was pretty good but I need to adjust my sensor bar.  Had a friend play and watched his swing and it did follow it on his first swings then on his last shots he took his back swing and when he stopped the golfer on screen was already on his down swing and was finished by the time my friend started down.  My friends wasn't in the same position on every swing so I think it is my sensor bar position.  I usually play on my recliner and it works well there but when I stand up I do have some problems on other games so I don't think it was TW.  We were playing on advance and were slicing and hooking a lot so it is very promising to me.  I will do some setup work tonight and let you know the results later hopefully.

The graphics are not that great.  Jaggies all over the place but not that big of deal to me.

Can you actually manipulate the ball with realistic swing planes?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 06:48:48 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 14, 2007, 05:18:17 PM

Quote from: depward on March 14, 2007, 05:14:36 PM

Review was encouraging.

How faithfully can something be recreated if the graphics pretty much suck, which was the gist of the Gamespot review that I read this morning? Faithful representation is primarily dependant on having the graphical capability to recreate the look of something. What is a more faithful recreation, Crysis' presentation of a pacific island or the more primitive presentation of a pacific island in-uh, Medal of Honor Pacific Assault-the answer is clear-and the presentation in crysis is absolutely more realistic and faithful. Its a very simple, objective definition.

And also,next time you "pwn me", remember you don't put [sic] after the word when you correct the spelling, you put it at the end of an incorrectly spelled word that you quote-and using it at all seems very odd.
Don't get so feisty babydoll   icon_biggrin  You're my brah!  I was just playing with you.

Good impressions shon - need more, MORE

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 06:56:20 PM »

Picked up my preorder at lunch today. (I had to answer "no thank you" about 100 times to preordering other games before he would drop it. Thanks EB.) Manual is pretty terse (no surprise). Hope to try it out later.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 07:02:54 PM »

I tried to do my regular swing with 2 hands and  I noticed as soon as I started on my back swing the blue arc appeared meaning hook and of course I hooked it.  My friend was slicing a lot until he started using one hand and did a little better.  So I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  Since I only had a little time with it I didn't get to try the tutorial so probably all my impressions are useless.  But I did like what I tried it is going to be a challenge and that is what I always wanted from TW. 

I tried the pro golf game with the gloves and the string attached and it worked okay but I think the Wii will out do that by a great deal.  I wish there was someway to put the controller in a golf club kind of thing to get the full experience. 

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 07:32:19 PM »

shon -

THANKS!!!

The golf swing was pretty good but I need to adjust my sensor bar.  Had a friend play and watched his swing and it did follow it on his first swings then on his last shots he took his back swing and when he stopped the golfer on screen was already on his down swing and was finished by the time my friend started down. 

Is this kinda like how the bowling in Wii sports can 'get ahead of you' when you release the button too early?

AND

I think someone makes a golf club thing that you can snap the controller into.
When I saw it I said "I can't believe anyone would want this"
Now I'm saying "I think I want it!!"

icon_biggrin

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 08:05:56 PM »

This is what I foolishly posted in the regular console section:

Well, I picked up Tiger Woods 07 for the Wii.  Man, it looks yucky, but I wasn't expecting much graphically, so who cares.

Unfortunately, I've got some kind of problem with the swing controls.  It tends to take a weak swing on my backswing, and I have no idea why it's happening.  Incredibly frustrating, to say the least.

I'd love to hear other impressions of the game, because I'm having a hard time getting past this issue (it happened twice on the first hole in the Tiger Challenge).  If anyone has seen an explanation for the issue I'm having, I'd love to hear that, too.

Seems like I'm not the only one with the issue, but I still can't figure out what's causing it.  Grrr.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 08:10:38 PM »

Quote from: Devil on March 14, 2007, 07:32:19 PM

shon -

THANKS!!!

The golf swing was pretty good but I need to adjust my sensor bar.  Had a friend play and watched his swing and it did follow it on his first swings then on his last shots he took his back swing and when he stopped the golfer on screen was already on his down swing and was finished by the time my friend started down. 

Is this kinda like how the bowling in Wii sports can 'get ahead of you' when you release the button too early?

AND

I think someone makes a golf club thing that you can snap the controller into.
When I saw it I said "I can't believe anyone would want this"
Now I'm saying "I think I want it!!"

icon_biggrin

I'm waiting for the Wii Hockey stick  icon_twisted
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 08:43:27 PM »

I just wonder what Guitar Hero on the Wii will use.

I don't know why TW didn't do the 1:1 on the golf swing.  Is it that hard to do or were they being rushed to get this out.  I did have one shot where I had about 25 yards to pin and my club would go 46 y and it was a little difficult to get it to swing about half power.  Hopefully practice will really help and I wonder if the Wii setup really impacts this as well.  Also why didn't the gamespot review mention the controls more.  IGN focused mainly on that and GS review did a little but not as indepth as Ign. 

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 09:31:15 PM »

I did the tutorial and one hole so obviously I haven't spent much time with this yet, but I am having serious issues with the swing mechanic - particularly in regards to putting. It seemed like I had to swing a large motion to get putts to register at all and then they were always too hard. A simple wrist flick was far too short. I did walk a little farther back from the tv and noticed it seemed better, so I am going to tweak my Wii sensitivity settings and retry. I'm irked that there is no in-game sensitivity adjustment. All Wii games needs to have this. More later.

-John

Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 09:57:45 PM »

Quote from: JCC on March 14, 2007, 09:31:15 PM

I did the tutorial and one hole so obviously I haven't spent much time with this yet, but I am having serious issues with the swing mechanic - particularly in regards to putting. It seemed like I had to swing a large motion to get putts to register at all and then they were always too hard. A simple wrist flick was far too short. I did walk a little farther back from the tv and noticed it seemed better, so I am going to tweak my Wii sensitivity settings and retry. I'm irked that there is no in-game sensitivity adjustment. All Wii games needs to have this. More later.

Uh oh. The putting was screwed up on the Wii Sports version of golf. I'm hoping TW has better putting. But that sounds like what went on with Wii Sports. May just be a shortcoming of the controller? Hope not!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 10:07:55 PM »

Played the tutorial again and 3 holes. Is it just me or is swinging straight way harder in the tutorial?

I ended up having better luck swinging one handed and looking at the screen rather than trying to mimic a real life 2 handed, head down swing. (I couldn't stop swinging left trying to do a real swing, which most definitely does NOT represent what my real golf swings do.) I went bogey, par, bogey on the 3 holes, so not too bad. I still feel like fooling with wii sensitivity some more to see if things improve. (Went from 5 to 4 to 3. Not sure if it's changing anything or not.) Practise swings are helpful.

-John

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 11:32:21 PM »

I played the tutorial, made myself in the Gameface section, then played the first three Tiger Challenge challenges. It's pretty fun but I was hoping it would be better.

Control felt pretty flaky early on but it got better the more I played. Not good, just better. The trickiest part is trying to hit low power shots by slowing down the backswing. I definitely played better when I switched from two hands to one.

Lots of irritating TW stuff STILL hasn't been fixed, like the commentary telegraphing where your ball is gonna land while it's still in the air, or player animations that don't make any contextual sense, or the squirrelly camera angles, or the insanely byzantine menu structure.

I turned the commentary volume to zero and turned Speed Play on and started enjoying the game a lot more. Unfortunately, Speed Play turns off one of the best features, the A button fast forward. Instead, A just skips to the next golfer's turn. I would like the option to adjust these settings individually instead of having everything lumped together under Speed Play.

75% sounds about right. The Wii controls will see me through for a while, but this series is in DRASTIC need of an overhaul.

P.S. Other random notes:
>The Skill Zone - Granite Overpass target range is pretty fun.
>110% is so dumb - I can't stand it. Same with shaking the remote while the ball is in flight to effect spin. ROLL EYES.
>What the heck is going on with the graphic for the "loading" meter?
>Am I right to think that there's no easy way to sort gear according to maker? So if I get a Grafalloy sponsorship, I'm stuck hunting through all the stuff, trying to read the chunk font and blindly looking for the word Grafalloy?
>The first two female players I unlocked both have extra large rumps.
>I don't see any display on the intro screen or scorecard that tells you how many holes a Tiger Challenge will be. I must be missing it somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 12:16:29 AM by rrmorton » Logged
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 01:51:08 AM »

Well I played with it a bit more. So, my day 1 impression is one of profound disappointment. The controls are not nailed down at all. They are very glitchy and inconsistent. I think the graphics look terrible. This game needs anti-aliasing badly. I think TW 2003 and 2004 for the cube both look better than this game, which is just wrong. I see the potential for a lot of fun and I am sure I will get better with the controls, but this feels very rushed (which I am sure it was). I'm already counting down for TW2008 and hope it will be much better...

-John

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 02:00:07 AM »

Quote from: rrmorton on March 14, 2007, 11:32:21 PM

Lots of irritating TW stuff STILL hasn't been fixed, like the commentary telegraphing where your ball is gonna land while it's still in the air,

Ooooh man, one of my biggest gripes about TW.  I freakin' HATED that.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 02:51:33 AM »

OK - I finally got the chance to play and other than one BIG problem, I thought the controls were great.

Good enough through the tutorial that on the short chip I sunk it 4 out of 5 times.

I think the key for me is not to watch what you are doing on the screen. Your on screen golfer isn't actually showing what you are doing all the time BUT it seems that the results of the shots translate back to what I was doing. Did that make any sense?

The one BIG problem that I has was that, a bunch of times, the game would lose track of my swing at the top of my backswing. I'd bring my club up to the top of my swing and as I followed through, the on screen character would just drop his hands as if I stopped the swing. Anyone else have this happen?

Oh, and my 2 year old could draw better graphics than what we got in this game.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 02:54:30 AM by Devil » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 02:53:21 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on March 14, 2007, 11:32:21 PM

>Am I right to think that there's no easy way to sort gear according to maker? So if I get a Grafalloy sponsorship, I'm stuck hunting through all the stuff, trying to read the chunk font and blindly looking for the word Grafalloy?

No, there is a way.  You select "Sort" from the options at the bottom of the screen.  Then you can select a specific manufacturer.  You can also select locked or unlocked, which is what I usually do.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to select everything from a specific maker, so you have to go into shirts, then pants, etc.

As for my backswing into a shot before you start your downswing problem, others are having the same issue, according to the EA forums.  I switched to one handed, and that seemed to fix it, but I just had it happen again three times on a single hole.  It's extremely frustrating.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 04:44:40 PM »

One thing about the swing - I haven't played it, but at least on the commercial when Tiger lines up for the shot he only goes about halfway on his backswing.  Maybe that's the way to correctly register a backswing?  Is everyone pulling back & doing a complete backswing or just sorta "halfing" it like what Tiger does?

Just thought I'd add in a suggestion   Tongue

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2007, 05:03:53 PM »

Quote from: depward on March 15, 2007, 04:44:40 PM

One thing about the swing - I haven't played it, but at least on the commercial when Tiger lines up for the shot he only goes about halfway on his backswing.  Maybe that's the way to correctly register a backswing?  Is everyone pulling back & doing a complete backswing or just sorta "halfing" it like what Tiger does?

Dep, I totally <3 you, but do you really think the shot of Tiger swinging the remote and what happens on screen actually happened at the same time live as a result of that swing?  Tongue
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2007, 05:28:23 PM »

Thanks for the info, Bullwinkle. I guess I missed that Sort option.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2007, 05:50:32 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on March 15, 2007, 05:28:23 PM

Thanks for the info, Bullwinkle. I guess I missed that Sort option.

Easy enough to do.  The interface isn't the greatest.  I'm constantly hitting A to select an option, only to move on to the next screen.

By the way, has anyone figured out how to get different eyebrows??  I haven't seen an option to change them anywhere.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2007, 07:06:11 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 15, 2007, 05:03:53 PM

Quote from: depward on March 15, 2007, 04:44:40 PM

Dep, I totally <3 you, but do you really think the shot of Tiger swinging the remote and what happens on screen actually happened at the same time live as a result of that swing?  Tongue
DrrRrrR!  *tries to bite ear*

In case you forgot, I work in marketing.  I'm not a flippin' retard.

It was merely a suggestion.  I just noticed in the commercial that he doesn't full swing it.  Maybe the folks playing are doing a full swing, which disconnects the wiimote from the sensor bar for some reason & messes up the swing.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2007, 07:15:19 PM »

Well, its a golf game, they should have figured it out icon_wink
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2007, 07:40:58 PM »

Maybe the folks playing are doing a full swing, which disconnects the wiimote from the sensor bar for some reason & messes up the swing.

Is this really the case? Is it a problem that can't be fixed?

I actually had pretty good luck, besides that, last night and now I'm getting pissed if it's the case.

You guys firing me up!!! icon_biggrin

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2007, 04:53:30 AM »

I haven't played the game so I can't give true advice, but one thing that occurred to me is that if you are in a stance where on a full backswing the Wiimote is facing back over your neck and towards the TV (and sensor bar) perhaps when it "see"s the sensor bar it is recalibrating the wiimote position for pointing which then screws up how it interprets the swing?

It should be easy enough to test if that is the case, you could just take swings that don't go quite back that far so the Wiimote's pointer end doesn't face the sensor bar, or you could turn your stance so that your body is facing the TV and the Wiimote shouldn't ever "look" in that direction. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2007, 01:35:49 PM »

I agree, and thought that might be it but tried it and it seems that it's maybe more to do with the speed of your swing than the location of the remote...or a combination.

If I go back slow with the same motion, I never lose the swing - going back faster/regular golf swing, it sometimes gets screwed up.

Stinks!

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2007, 12:56:11 PM »

I'd also wonder if people pause at all at the top of their backswing. It's entirely possible that if people are pausing at the top, that the tensing of those muscles causes a barely noticeable amount of foreward movement (similar to the rollback when coming to a complete stop) that the Wiimote senses and thus begins the swing motion?

Does Tiger Woods actually use the sensor bar? I'm pretty sure that Wii Sports doesn't use it during the swing, instead going entirely on whether you're right/left handed and the motion sensing. I can't imagine what advantage Tiger Woods would get from its use. Particularly when half the motion of the swing is theoretically facing away from the thing.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: