http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 09:12:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiger Woods PSP Reviewed  (Read 1953 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2005, 04:31:26 AM »

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/sports/tigerwoodspgatour/review.html

Cool, got an 8.2 I think. Sounds really good.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 04:51:42 AM »

Sounds great.  I'm going to pick it up tomorrow if I can find it!

Go Gunners...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 05:59:19 AM »

I've read in other reviews that the load times is insane between levels (closing in on 30 seconds, if I remember correctly).  Can anyone who has played the game confirm this or declare it bunk?  I was set to get it, but now I'm hesitating.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 07:19:31 AM »

Looks like initial startup is about 60 seconds (until you hit the start screen), initial loading of a course is 30 seconds or so, and time between each hole is 15-20 seconds.  Switching character models (when another player hits on the same hole) takes about 3-5 seconds.

That said, I don't see that as a deal-breaker.  It's like when you hear a movie has a huge development cost - it doesn't matter as much if you can see all those resources up there on the screen.  I suspect that the load times during the round will be much less if I were to turn off the fly-bys, which I'm not yet willing to do.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 12:20:43 AM »

It's like when you hear a movie has a huge development cost - it doesn't matter as much if you can see all those resources up there on the screen.

Not sure how this anaolgy applies, as the cost of the film is behind the scenes.  Now if it was: "Here's a great movie with a couple of really awful scenes every few minutes," that might make sense...come to think of it, that's how I felt about The Phantom Menace, and I bought that DVD.  Guess I'll be giving Tiger a try.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 03:29:02 AM »

It's good. If you can deal with the loading, you'll really enjoy it.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 03:53:42 AM »

I don't see it as a deal breaker for golf. Heck I remember playing Linx 386  golf on my 386 sx16 qand it took 30 seconds to draw the freakin screen.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 06:11:42 AM »

I just spent about 2 hours with Tiger Woods PSP and I'm very impressed. It's not a superb game but it's very good, especially for a handheld. (The PSP is a real damn sweet piece of hardware btw, from the interface to the screen to the sound to the mp3/jpeg extras... the only thing I hate is that the headphones are colored a trendy iPod white.)
    Pros:

• The graphics are gorgeous. Not nearly as far behind the PC or Xbox curve as you would expect for a handheld. Some of the textures go blurry up close but otherwise it looks great. And the golf course scenery really looks good in the new PSP widescreen format. Just take a look:

• Surprisingly deep and compelling gameplay mechanics. I'm new to console golf but I've been a PC golfer since Accolade's Mean 18 (see above biggrin ) so I didn't expect much by way of subtlety or depth without a mouse and keyboard. Even while playing the brief tutorial, I didn't think there was all that much to it. Then I started a legend tour match and birdied the first hole with ease and automatically assumed the whole damn Rookie mode would be a pretty-looking pushover. WRONG. I bogied the next few holes and hit it into the water for a triple bogey after that, and soon I was soundly defeated... By a senior citizen.

At that point I knew I needed to be a lot more attentive to playing the course, the clubs, the wind, and working the thumbstick and R button controls with precision. The power boost system (tap R at top of swing for extra power) and the spin system (tap R and push stick during flight) are both new to me. All in all, it's pretty demanding. Especially the short game, which is exactly as it should be. And I'm still getting used to the putting system.

• As expected, the face/body builder utility is amazing, despite some load hiccups during the process. I made a pretty passable virtual Rob in about 5 minutes. It was enough to fool Amelia who saw the screen, pointed, and said, "Daddy!" biggrin
    • LOADS of unlockable loot, equipment, and apparel. There's even a bit of an RPG element with different shirts and shoes and drivers boosting your stats. Makes shopping at the pro shop after a win loads of fun. (Though I do wish the dollar amounts were real-world... $2,750 for a short-sleeve shirt seems a tad excessive.)
    • More quality play-by-play commentary from Gary McCord and David Feherty. After missing a short putt: "Oooo, that'll make you want to hug mommy." biggrin
    Cons:

• As expected, the big one is load times. Boot up is interminable, 20 seconds for a par 3, maybe 30 for a par 5; not great. At least they show helpful tips on the screen during this time, so early on this isn't just wasted time, but still.

Balancing this issue, there are numerous ways to speed up the play, depending on your mood. For starters, you can skip the pre-shot golfer closeups. Those add some nice drama and presentational flair, but sometimes you want to get on with it. Just tap X. Or, after your CPU opponent has started his swing, hold down X to fast forward and watch his ball fly up, land, and roll to a stop at double speed. And if you're really impatient, just tap O to skip the CPU shot entirely. It cuts to a brief shot of where his ball landed and that's that. On to your next shot.

So, the load times cost you time but you can make up for it elsewhere. I haven't taken the time to check the options menu to see which of these individual elements can be turned on and off.

• "Extreme!" I'm on the fence about some of the new stylistic touches. I loved that my first rookie match was against a senior citizen named Pops, an old coot wearing a blue cardigan and plaid knickers. (His drive animation was 100% senior tour; all arms and no hips. Hilarious.) But my new opponent is Big Mo, a heavily tattooed, hawaiian-shirt wearing, spikily-afroed NFL linebacker type. I like that they're trying to inject a little flavor and fun into the staid world of golf, but Big Mo is a Bit Much. I don't need this much Outlaw Golf in my Tiger Woods.
    • Some of the loops of crowd noise as they cheer you on are too short and end up sounding weird. The applause sounds good but the occasional chatter (like when a putt is rolling toward the hole) can sound a bit off.
    In the end, I can't imagine anyone who likes golf games being disappointed with this title. (Except by the load times, but IMO there's enough to make up for that.)

Oh, one big putting tip... It's VERY easy to miss short putts by being too delicate with the thumbstick. Even on a 2-inch putt, you need to pull the analog stick all the way back and push it all the way forward on follow-through to tap that putt in. The reason is that your maximum power is determined relative to your placement of the aim marker. I lost my first 9-hole match against Big Mo by pulling this aggravating mistake two or three times on important putts. To me, it feels counterintuitive.

I haven't played Tiger enough to cement a rating, but at this early stage I might raise Gamespot's 8.2 to an 8.6 or 8.8. Just not quite A-level. (Due to load times, if nothing else.)

All this talk has me itching to load it up again, a sure sign of addiction setting in.  :twisted:
    Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 06:27:25 AM »

thats awesome rob!! this is like the system seller game for me right now smile Let me ask you one question, is there any sort of pga tour mode outside of the legends tour right now?
    rrmorton

View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 06:35:46 AM »

I haven't explored any of the other gameplay modes yet besides Legend Tour so I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. Here's the Main Menu:

Quick Play
    Legend Tour (I like the setup here: first rookie (Pops, Big Mo), then pro (Tiger, Vijay), then legend (Jack Nicklaus, Arnie Palmer.)
    Legend Challenges (Earn medals in varied challenges to unlock Legend Edition Drivers, Irons, Wedges, etc.)
    Party Play
    Head to Head
    My Profile
    EA SPORTS Extras (only Credits in here so far)
    Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 06:39:35 AM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
    I haven't explored any of the other gameplay modes yet besides Legend Tour so I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. Here's the Main Menu:

Quick Play
    Legend Tour (I like the setup here: first rookie (Pops, Big Mo), then pro (Tiger, Vijay), then legend (Jack Nicklaus, Arnie Palmer.)
    Legend Challenges (Earn medals in varied challenges to unlock Legend Edition Drivers, Irons, Wedges, etc.)
    Party Play
    Head to Head
    My Profile
    EA SPORTS Extras (only Credits in here so far)

Hmm ok i was a little concerned about that. Im hoping the legends mode has enough play to keep you occupied of r along itme. Doesnt sound like they have the challenges from the other console versions either. Is it because the UMD disks dont have the space?
    TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 06:44:40 AM »

You rock at giving impressions, rrmorton.  Now, give us some more impressions of the other games you got Tongue

TheMissingLink on PSN
    meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
    3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
    addybojangles on GameCenter
    Jancelot

View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 07:16:16 AM »

I played around with TW today and I'd say I pretty much agree with what Rob had to say about it.  Load times are annoying, but it's a great game once you get to it.
    chrismcd
    Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 02:58:50 PM »

I was told by EB Games that Tiger Woods was delyed till April 4th.  Maybe we Canadians got screwed...  OR EB was screwing me...

Anyone in Canada pick this up if so Where?

Chris

rrmorton

View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 12:44:55 AM »

I think I'm starting to take off the training wheels. It took me about 5 tries, but I finally beat Big Mo on the second Legend Tour challenge. It really helped when I got a sponsorship deal for $50,000 and bought a new putter to raise my putting stats by two points. Between that and me getting the hang of putting a bit better, it seems I've gone up from Terrible to just Somewhat Bad.

I'm suprrised how challenging this game is from the outset, and it's not just a matter of getting good with the controls. For example, the first Legend Challnge has you play five par 5's and to win a gold medal you need a score of 18. That's three birdies and two eagles! YOWZA. I got a silver on my first try without much trouble, but gold medals might be real hard to come by.  

Lots of cool touches in TW:PSP, like winning a trophy ball for hitting the pin or the eagle that flies over the green after you score an eagle.
    Bullwinkle
    Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 04:33:35 AM »

I'm suprrised how challenging this game is from the outset

You ain't kidding.

It doesn't help that there have been a number of times my shot felt right, but I saw it sail off to the left side of the screen.  Grrr.

rrmorton

View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: April 17, 2005, 08:02:17 PM »

I've been glued to this game for at least an hour a day since I first got it and I'm still hooked. I'm definitely happy to leave Rookie mode shortly (I have one more Skins game to win before I'll have beat all 14 Rookie matches and tourneys.)

Took me FOR-F*#KING-EVER to beat Dominic "The Don" Donatello. He's like the fourth player in Rookie mode and he routinely eagles 1-2 holes during a 9 hole match. So aggravating. I must have played him two or three dozen times before I finally won. Very satisfying victory but it doesn't make up for the difficulty balance being so out of whack. My next opponent was a sumo wrestler named Tsunami and I steamrollered him on my first try.

The Pro mode should be a lot more fun since I can leave these goofy characters behind and start playing real pros like Woods and even young Palmer and Nicklaus.

Despite the problems with the difficulty curve, the gameplay remains extremely fun and addictive. I've unlocked a cool fantasy course called Emerald Island along with tons of new equipment so the game does offer good unlockable rewards as you progress.
    Captain Caveman

View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: April 17, 2005, 09:21:53 PM »

What's the PSP thing you've been raving about, Mr. Morton?
    rrmorton

View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: April 17, 2005, 10:10:18 PM »

It's something you want to convince Amy to get you for your next birthday.
    Cleric7

View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: April 18, 2005, 12:45:00 AM »

Quote from: "chrismcd"
    I was told by EB Games that Tiger Woods was delyed till April 4th.  Maybe we Canadians got screwed...  OR EB was screwing me...

Anyone in Canada pick this up if so Where?

Chris

This game is still not available anywhere in Ontario as far as I know!!
    This is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
    Pages: [1]   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to: