http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 07:56:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiger Woods 12: The Masters  (Read 713 times)
Qantaga
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2011, 12:22:50 AM »

Has anyone tried this yet?

I'm on the road this week and I'm sorely tempted to pick it up on the way home. I'm not sure I have the willpower to resist being able to play Augusta. smile

I'm curious if anyone has any gameplay impressions.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:39:36 AM »

Amazon totally messed up my release date shipping.  They didn't even give me Prime 2-Day Shipping.  I ordered on Monday, but it's not coming until Friday.   mad

They were nice enough to give me a bonus $5 credit, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 01:42:18 AM »

Been playing quite a bit on the PS3.  Here are my impressions.

- Move support is okay but not great and the Dual Shock's analog is a little hard to use so I wish I'd bought the 360 version so I could install the game to the hard drive to decrease loading times.
- It plays pretty good and is quite a bit tougher than previous years so you won't be shooting in the 50's.  You can also make the AI opponents shoot better with settings as well.
- The Caddie is okay but you can't turn him all the way off so you will always see his suggestions as far as percentage and club goes.  You still have to hit the shot so for newbies it's good but for sim
not so.  You don't even know how far each club can hit, there is no distances for any club.  When you aim it shows an area where you may hit so that's a little disappointing.
- Augusta is cool and Jim Nance does a decent job. The graphics are okay but could be better.
- The Career mode is better and you won't have to do any Tiger Challenges to level up.  You can just play tournaments if you want.
- Putting is difficult and takes some time to get used too.
- There are 20 DLC courses that you can buy Day one for around $50 you can have all of them.  Some of them do integrate into the career mode.
- My biggest gripe is lack of stats.  There are no stats per course only some personal stats for your entire career. 

The sales were low last year so they really went after Augusta and when they got it they thought a lot of new people would be getting the game for the first time or in a long time so they tailored the game
towards the casual market.  If you are a sim guy you will still find a lot of good things but it's apparent this wasn't developed for us. 

Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 03:01:42 AM »

Quote from: shon on March 31, 2011, 01:42:18 AM

Been playing quite a bit on the PS3.  Here are my impressions.

- Move support is okay but not great and the Dual Shock's analog is a little hard to use so I wish I'd bought the 360 version so I could install the game to the hard drive to decrease loading times.

Thanks for that. I was planning on getting the PS3 version, too, so I appreciate your experience. I like the hard drive option of the 360.

- It plays pretty good and is quite a bit tougher than previous years so you won't be shooting in the 50's.  You can also make the AI opponents shoot better with settings as well.

That sounds very good. I hated the ridiculously low scores in previous versions. I also like that the AI opponents can be beefed up.

- The Caddie is okay but you can't turn him all the way off so you will always see his suggestions as far as percentage and club goes.  You still have to hit the shot so for newbies it's good but for sim
not so.  You don't even know how far each club can hit, there is no distances for any club.  When you aim it shows an area where you may hit so that's a little disappointing.

Hmmm... not so promising. I like being able to ask the caddie for rare shots, but most of the time, I don't want to hear or see him. I'm also disappointed that there is no distance information for the clubs.

- Augusta is cool

This is the biggest selling point for me. Glad to hear it's cool.

- The Career mode is better and you won't have to do any Tiger Challenges to level up.  You can just play tournaments if you want.
- Putting is difficult and takes some time to get used too.
- There are 20 DLC courses that you can buy Day one for around $50 you can have all of them.  Some of them do integrate into the career mode.
- My biggest gripe is lack of stats.  There are no stats per course only some personal stats for your entire career. 

The sales were low last year so they really went after Augusta and when they got it they thought a lot of new people would be getting the game for the first time or in a long time so they tailored the game
towards the casual market.  If you are a sim guy you will still find a lot of good things but it's apparent this wasn't developed for us. 

Like you, I wish they had more stats and a better long term sim. However, being able to tee it up at Augusta covers a lot of sins. smile

Thanks shon. I'll definitely pick this up Friday.

~Switchfoot
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 03:32:08 AM »

This is on sale at Amazon for $45.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 03:33:24 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on March 31, 2011, 03:32:08 AM

This is on sale at Amazon for $45.

Wow pr0ner. Thanks man!

~Switchfoot
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 06:01:23 AM »

In the uk on PS3 the normal version is 39.99 and the special edition is 42.99 with the 19 additonal courses included. This is the main reason for getting this version rather than the 360.

My 4 year old plays number 11 on the Wii and at the easy level is very very good. Is the move setup similar to the Wii does anyone know, I found the 11 version on the PS3 was nothing like it and it wasn't possible to set it up as simply as on the Wii. He soon lost interest as at 4 his swing isn't that great which meant I ended up playing the Wii version rather than the PS3 one a lot.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 01:03:01 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on March 31, 2011, 06:01:23 AM

Is the move setup similar to the Wii does anyone know

How does it work on the Wii? The PS3 demo had you pointing the Move down to address the ball and then pulling the trigger before going through the swing, from what I recall.

And jeez, 19 additional courses? Just saw that the DLC to get Torry Pines is $3.99 all on its lonesome.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 01:22:57 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 31, 2011, 01:03:01 PM

Quote from: Reemul on March 31, 2011, 06:01:23 AM

Is the move setup similar to the Wii does anyone know

How does it work on the Wii? The PS3 demo had you pointing the Move down to address the ball and then pulling the trigger before going through the swing, from what I recall.

And jeez, 19 additional courses? Just saw that the DLC to get Torry Pines is $3.99 all on its lonesome.

The PS3 special edition has 3 additional courses, at least according to the Wiki page.  Not sure how he came up with 19 (though there are that many courses to get as DLC).

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 01:46:47 PM »

I had no problem with the Move - Actually worked too well at times where my shots slice to the right all the time!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 03:21:01 PM »

It looks like it is 4000 points to buy both the Eagle Pack and the Birdie Pack, which combined includes all of the DLC courses.  So for an extra $40-50 (if you bought points on sale) you have the "full" game.

Edit to add:  Bethpage and Turnberry are missing at the moment.  I guess they were exclusives to the PS3 and 360.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:29:04 PM by Greggy_D » Logged
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »

yeah sorry my mistake, the case said 19 additional course, however today when i looked it said Augusta + 19 additional course, where as the normal says Augusta + 14 additional courses, I make that 5 extra courses. Still for 3 that's not a bad deal. Doesn't say what courses though.

Well on the Wii at the easiest setting you could play it so it went straight regardless of swing but you had to do the distance, meant my son who was 3 at the time could line upa nd swing and just have to worry on the strength, also the putting was pretty simple. On the move for 11 there was no simple setting to just swing away and hit it, really at 4 I want it to be fun for him on teh easy level rather than a simulation of a proper swing, he's learning that down the real golf club.

I think I will pick up both anyways and if he can't settle with the PS3 version we can use the Wii one. if he does I can trade it in instead. Won't take long to find out.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: