http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 05:19:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiger Woods '09  (Read 1763 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2008, 11:56:40 AM »

What's the story?

Wii version any good?
360/PS3 Better than last year?

Bring it!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 12:43:38 PM »

I put 4 hrs into it last night and I can sum up the game in word.............ADDICTING!!!! This is one helluva game....seriously. The challenge, at least on Tour mode, is amped up, particularly the putting, the new way in which they do Tiger Challenge is great, and the "Tiger IQ" (it sort of is like Madden's IQ system) really works well. The graphics are still pretty sub par, in fact the aliasing is downright ridiculous at some points, but the gameplay makes up for it. The achievements are much better this year also. The EA Sports Gamernet stuff is pretty cool, but it's kinda gimmicky in that it's gonna be impossible to win the awards once people max their characters out and start busting out 400 yd drives, but you can ignore them or turn them off I think.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 03:11:55 PM »

Quote from: Devil on August 27, 2008, 11:56:40 AM

What's the story?

You're this young kid, fresh off of being a caddy, but Tiger's trainer sees a spark in your eye.  Unfortunately the man who murdered your dog is also in competition for a spot on the PGA tour.  He also has eyes for that woman who works in the concession stand, the one you've been building a relationship with (your cell phone will ring on the course, and you'll have to decide if you want to keep playing or go bowling or to a strip club or a stand-up comedy show).  There are funny cameos by Chevy Chase and Father Guido Sarducci.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 03:57:10 PM »

Gah, another year, another bit of hype.  I tell myself "NOT THIS YEAR!" and I was able to stay away from a first-day purchase.  But if the praise continues...

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 03:57:41 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 27, 2008, 03:11:55 PM

Quote from: Devil on August 27, 2008, 11:56:40 AM

What's the story?

You're this young kid, fresh off of being a caddy, but Tiger's trainer sees a spark in your eye.  Unfortunately the man who murdered your dog is also in competition for a spot on the PGA tour.  He also has eyes for that woman who works in the concession stand, the one you've been building a relationship with (your cell phone will ring on the course, and you'll have to decide if you want to keep playing or go bowling or to a strip club or a stand-up comedy show).  There are funny cameos by Chevy Chase and Father Guido Sarducci.

I so wish this was real.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 04:11:47 PM »

It's like MLB Power Pros except the roles of Father Guido and Chevy Chase are replaced by Tom Selleck and Paul Lynde!

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 04:15:17 PM »

Quote from: jblank on August 27, 2008, 12:43:38 PM

I put 4 hrs into it last night and I can sum up the game in word.............ADDICTING!!!! This is one helluva game....seriously. The challenge, at least on Tour mode, is amped up, particularly the putting, the new way in which they do Tiger Challenge is great, and the "Tiger IQ" (it sort of is like Madden's IQ system) really works well. The graphics are still pretty sub par, in fact the aliasing is downright ridiculous at some points, but the gameplay makes up for it. The achievements are much better this year also. The EA Sports Gamernet stuff is pretty cool, but it's kinda gimmicky in that it's gonna be impossible to win the awards once people max their characters out and start busting out 400 yd drives, but you can ignore them or turn them off I think.

Are you talking about the Wii verison and if so are the motion controls better than last years? Not that they were bad last year, but EA promised that they would be even better this year.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 04:40:37 PM »

Wii Version????????? BAH!!!!!!! icon_twisted  icon_razz Tongue

No, thats the 360 version I was describing.

Anyone have any specific questions they want answered though?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 06:05:29 PM »

Quote from: jblank on August 27, 2008, 04:40:37 PM

Actually, with all the graphic grumbling, I thought it was the Wii version you were describing, too.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 06:09:18 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 27, 2008, 06:05:29 PM

Actually, with all the graphic grumbling, I thought it was the Wii version you were describing, too.

Yeah me too, especially since one of my biggest problems with the Wii is the seeming lack of anti-aliasing in most games. You would think with the extra horse power over the Cube and PS2, that the developers would find a way to enable anti-aliasing for Wii games, especially since most games are being developed along with the PS2 versions. Last years TW looked ok, but the aliasing was abundant.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »

Sorry for not making it more clear, but I figured talking about the achievements would be a dead giveaway.

Any questions about the 360 version though?

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 06:12:56 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 27, 2008, 06:09:18 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 27, 2008, 06:05:29 PM

Yeah me too, especially since one of my biggest problems with the Wii is the seeming lack of anti-aliasing in most games. You would think with the extra horse power over the Cube and PS2, that the developers would find a way to enable anti-aliasing for Wii games, especially since most games are being developed along with the PS2 versions. Last years TW looked ok, but the aliasing was abundant.

Unfortunately that hasn't improved at all. At a distance, some of the holes are gorgeous, but when you get closer to objects, some EXTREMELY low-res looking faults are exposed, as well as tons of jaggies. Still, the gameplay is outstanding, so even a graphics whore like myself can overlook those things.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »

Quote from: jblank on August 27, 2008, 06:11:09 PM

Sorry for not making it more clear, but I figured talking about the achievements would be a dead giveaway.

Yeah, does it come with the Wii version?  icon_lol

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 06:50:14 PM »

Ridiculous rubber-band AI still going on in tournaments?

TheMissingLink on PSN
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 06:55:28 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 27, 2008, 06:50:14 PM

According to OpSports, this is completely gone this year.  Someone posted that he purposely did a tournament at a +40 score and the leaders were all where you'd expect them to be at 10 or so under.

Overall, the game is a huge improvement, but they still haven't redone the ridiculously bad putting engine.  Everything else is pretty good.

gellar
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 07:00:18 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 27, 2008, 06:50:14 PM

It's my understanding from people at OS that the rubberband AI is gone.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 07:10:53 PM »

So, what you guys are saying is that OpSports is reporting that the rubber-band AI is gone?

icon_wink

IN!!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 07:47:50 PM »

Can Tiger truly walk on water however?  Roll Eyes

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 09:00:05 PM »

Anyone know if you can do tournaments at different times, and then just compare the scores, like the old Links game?

Just curious if they added that this year.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 11:45:21 PM »

In the PSP version there is a speed play option that cuts out the animations before and after shots.   Is this in the 360 or PS3 versions?   I hate hitting 'A' three times for each shot.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 01:06:32 AM »

IGN gave the Wii version 83%. The reviewer said the motion controls are in fact better this year, the graphics are slightly improved and the online play actually works and is fun. Still it is IGN so take it with a grain of salt.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 01:18:00 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 28, 2008, 01:06:32 AM

IGN gave the Wii version 83%. The reviewer said the motion controls are in fact better this year, the graphics are slightly improved and the online play actually works and is fun. Still it is IGN so take it with a grain of salt.

They also said that it's as good as it can be without the true motion control.  I was tempted by the Wii version, but I think I'll wait for next year.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 01:24:15 AM »

I picked it up (for the 360).  I will agree that it is addicting and fun as heck.  And I've barely started my golfer's career.

1. Made my golfer.
2. Did one Tiger Challenge  (passed).
3. Went to my career and did the first day of the first tournament available.  (72!)
4. Had somewhere around 15-20 total player challenges during the round, which is a pretty cool feature.  (beat 2 of them and posted one of my own).

Cool game so far.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 07:55:35 PM »

Quote from: shon on August 27, 2008, 11:45:21 PM

In the PSP version there is a speed play option that cuts out the animations before and after shots.   Is this in the 360 or PS3 versions?   I hate hitting 'A' three times for each shot.

Another request for an answer to this one.  As silly as it sounds I actually gave up playing/buying this game because of these unskippable animations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: