http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:43:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thursday's Wrap!  (Read 523 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2006, 01:35:47 AM »

From http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/index.php#7020:

I've been having so much fun playing my import copy of Tales of Eternia on my PSP, I decided to look more into the Tales series. As is the norm, Wikipedia was quite the bounty of information. This page proved to be very informative, as well as linking to great descriptions of the various games. While reading the information for Tales of Rebirth I discovered some information that got me to thinking. From the article:
Due to Sony Computer Entertainment America's policies, which forbid publishers from releasing individually-packaged games with sprite-based characters, it is highly unlikely that Tales of Rebirth will ever be slated for a North American release, much to the grief of fans in the United States, Canada, and Europe who are unable to import the game. Additionally, if Namco was going to port Rebirth to a market outside Japan, it would have announced its intentions to do so within a year of its Japanese release (by the end of 2005).
I had basically hear a rumor that Tales of Eternia for the PSP wasn't going to be released here due to a 'New content required' policy that Sony has for re-releases of titles.

Basically, this got me to thinking about Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft's publishing policy and how much say they did have over what is released on their consoles. When you make a PC game, as long as I have properly purchased my licenses for the development software, I can release the game with very little input from Apple or Microsoft. But if I want to publish a console title, it has to go through rigorous standards checks from the console manufacturer and even then may still be rejected. This seems to go contrary to what a standard market economy would want. At the most basic logic, you would want as many titles for a system as possible on the market to promote a need for your hardware. Is this limiting of titles through the publisher a hold-out of older practices with console systems before they were issued on CD or DVD? Is this a method that ensures that the manufacturer of the console gets its own cut of the profits one way or another? Or is this their way of keeping their library of games under control so that there isn't a flood of poor quality titles out there? What do you think? Email me at [email protected] with your thoughts (or post right here in this thread!)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 02:22:10 AM »

This is a direct result of the videogame crash of 84 where everyone and their mother could put out unlicensed shovelware on the systems of the time.  Consequently, Nintendo had their much ballyhooed "Seal of Approval" with the NES as a way of basically ensuring that never happened again and other console manufacturers have followed suit since.  The Gaming Steve podcast had an outstanding summary of this issue somewhere around Christmas of last year IIRC. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 03:47:56 AM »

I'm an RPG hound. Is it worth importing Tales of Eternia from Amazon.UK, Dreamshadow? I assume it works on a US PSP?

In reference to your question, if this decision is to keep poor titles from entering the marketplace, they have done a horrific job. The PSP and DS have a large number of terrible games on their respective systems. Sony allows Rengoku II to hit the street, but not a Suikoden Compliation? That is just crazy insane.

I think the decision to limit these older games is based less upon quality restrictions, and more upon perceived disposable income. A flood of ported older titles would reduce the number of newly developed titles being purchased, and thus directly effect the number of new games being developed.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 06:11:59 AM »

IGN is showing it as import only in the US now.  http://psp.ign.com/objects/683/683124.html

Gamespot is still showing Oct 2, but EB doesn't list it.

Is it time to import for sure, then?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 07:10:49 AM »

It has been stripped from Ubisoft's North American release section, so I'm guessing the game has been blackbagged for the United States.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 12:25:24 PM »

If you like the Tales series at all, run, don't walk to your local Frys and get this one.  It has gotten the most playtime of all my games on the PSP (next to Lumines).  Even better, all PSP titles are region free, so you don't have to do a thing to be able to play it.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: