http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 02:24:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THUG 2 meh!  (Read 1756 times)
synco
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2004, 09:42:51 PM »

Is it just me or is the new Tony Hawk game a little underwhelming. I mean putting out a new instalment each year seems to be letting the creative flow run dry. I guess the new features are just imature, like the secret characters per level and the dick and fart joke dialog. Or maybe I just put to much faith in the series.

~KS
yeyeman9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 10:28:05 PM »

I agree with you. "Annual releases" sometimes arent the best choice. But to tell you the truth, I think I am going to get THUG2, and not only because it is suppose to be a sequel(which dosent appears to be), but because it will have new maps and new stuff to do...and I really enjoyed THUG, so thats why I am getting it. But not because it is a "sequel". Not like Halo 2, which is a real sequel.

~Gamers are born to play~

"I have a suggestion for you: get married and if you find a good wife you will be happy forever, if not you will become a philosopher" - Socrates.
Beer Goggles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 10:35:39 PM »

So, is THUG 1 better?
yeyeman9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 10:36:46 PM »

I havent actually played THUG2, but I guess the answer to your question would probably be a no. Becuase basically this is THUG 1 with some improvements, from what I have read, so I guess THUG 2 is better.

"I have a suggestion for you: get married and if you find a good wife you will be happy forever, if not you will become a philosopher" - Socrates.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 11:05:50 PM »

TH3 > TH4 > THUG > TH2 > TH1, if you must know smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
yeyeman9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 11:34:27 PM »

hehe, personally I prefer THUG tho...dont know why.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 11:43:58 PM »

TH3 > TH4 > THUG > TH2 > TH1, if you must know

Well, that's going to lead to quite the debate.

It all depends on how you feel about getting rid of the time limit, maybe.

I personally enjoyed THUG1, though it was maybe too short and easy and the story was a little involved for something that felt tacked on (and the walking was more annoying than useful).  All these things seem to be improved in THUG2 (except the walking, although there are more uses for it).  They've even included a Classic Mode (time-limit and everything), so you can get off on that if you really enjoy the earlier THPS games.  I think the levels are much tighter, too, partly because they have to be for the classic mode.

The only complaint I get is that you're no longer just playing one character that you try to improve.  Each level you have to play yourself and a pro and a guest (seemingly always on some crazy contraption) and a secret character (Ben Franklin and a bull rider so far).  I can see how this takes away from focusing on your guy and improving him, but personally, I enjoy the variety.  So far.

Anyhoo, I find myself really addicted to THUG2, much the same way I have been with the rest of the series.  It may help that I have HDTV and the 720i looks amazing (I especially enjoy the shift from day to night).  Bottom line, though: I don't think it's underwhelming at all.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 07:47:16 PM »

I don't know.  I'm rather enjoying it.

For me, it beats THPS 4 and THUG 1.  Not sure about THPS3 though.  I still think that one may have been better.  I can't tell you how many hours I spent on that one (countless).

The wide open levels of 4 and THUG left me wanting tighter gameplay, and for the most part, THUG2 delivers that.  I'm spending most of my time in Classic mode, as that is what I prefer, and there really IS an entire game just there.

The story mode is OK, but nothing great, and there are certain elements that I really detest (the cut scenes for one).  I really don't have a violent or mean streak in me, so I don't really enjoy throwing tomatoes at people in the street, for one thing.  And I hate to play that mode when my kids are around, since it really is nothing but adolescence, rude and obnoxious, at its worst.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 09:11:15 PM »

i'm having a lot of fun so far.  i'd say i'm about  a third of the way through story mode and only a couple of levels into classic mode.  i've been playing online and it's a trip seeing how good some of these players are.  i see them landing these huge strings of combos and tricks, racking up a few hundred thousand points in one go and here i am still trying to figure out how to manual into a grind.
yeyeman9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 03:11:58 AM »

I really havent play it yet. But you say it is worth it? I am thinking on buying it...

none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 03:38:42 AM »

well, it's been four daze of playing and i'm still having lots of fun.  granted, the last tony hawk game i played was thps3, on a roommate's ps2 and we loved it.  i'm really glad thug2 has classic mode but, right now, i find myself playing story mode exclusively.  for me, it's definitely been worth the purchase.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 05:39:59 AM »

I really love these games.  I recently started the new one and found it to be more of the same (if you played the original THUG), but with a few new wrinkles.  In my opinion that is fine, since I played the others so much.

I am just wondering where they can take the series next.  The engine remains the same, which is both good and bad.  The responsive controls remain intact, but the graphics are still nothing to write home about.  The developers seem intent on cramming as many moves as possible into the buttons available, which leads to some real thumb-tying combos.  I have never grown used to the "Caveman" aspect -- getting off your board -- in respect to tying combos together.  They have added the "focus" botton, which is much more interesting.  But now there are rolls and flips, where you hold an action button before the directional buttons.  It's getting crowded in here!  I'd like to see them scale back on these things, but then it would be nothing more than new maps for the last game.

Like I said, if you played the rest you know what you are getting into.  The story mode, while completely juvenile, is great fun and keeps things going.  The music is good (and I don't listen to the punkier side of things much).  There are some nice additions in store for fans of the series.

I wonder if there will be a hidden Star Wars character in this one?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 10:56:55 PM »

i don't know about a star wars character but i just played a game online where one of the players looked like an american paratrooper circa june 6, 1944.  crazy.
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 03:54:11 PM »

speaking of star wars characters:

http://www.boingboing.net/2004/10/11/star_wars_kid_cameo_.html

hehe!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: