http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 07:59:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THQ Shuttered -- Rumors coming out of Twitter  (Read 1825 times)
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:07:11 PM »

I've been following the sale of THQ's assets on Twitter today, and I don't want to report anything officially (as this is all rumor and hearsay), but I figure I'd open up the discussion here.

Sega is getting Relic, to possibly be merged with Creative Assembly. Sega now has both Warhammer licenses.

Ubisoft to get South Park and THQ Montreal (Patrice Desilet's studio)

Koch Media (Deep Silver) to get Volition and Metro.

Take 2 to get Turtle Beach.

Vigil -- no one, apparently.

THQ is officially done. Twitter is lighting up with job openings and requests.

What a crazy day. I will update more as I find out.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:16:15 PM »

I'm glad to hear that most of the studios found new publishers.  Hopefully they can continue to march along with the games currently in development.  Sega now owning both Warhammer licenses is interesting.  Hopefully they can do something good with that.   
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:17:06 PM »

I hope the IPs fare better than they did when 3DO was carved up.  I'm still waiting on High Heat Baseball.  Microsoft has been sitting on it for a decade.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 08:22:38 PM »

http://gamingtrend.com/2013/01/23/thq-sells-off-assets-as-reported-in-final-letter-to-thq-employees/

Official report out of Kotaku -- in a letter from CEO Jason Rubin to employees -- states that:

The proposed sales of multiple assets is as follows :
Sega agreed to purchase Relic
Koch Media agreed to purchase Volition and Metro
Crytek agreed to purchase Homefront
Take 2 agreed purchase Evolve and
Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park
We expect these sales to close this week.

Some assets, including our publishing businesses and Vigil, along with some other intellectual properties are not included in the sale agreements. They will remain part of the Chapter 11 case. We will make every effort to find appropriate buyers, if possible.

David Roberts

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 08:33:34 PM »

Poor Vigil...that's like being the last kid standing after everyone has been picked and the teams are full.     
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:34:57 PM »

Homefront 2 will use the Crytek engine... ?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:36:11 PM »

I just want South Park and Metro to come out of this alive and delay free.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 23, 2013, 08:34:57 PM

Homefront 2 will use the Crytek engine... ?

That was the plan originally, actually. Crytek was developing that game. Now they own it.

David Roberts

davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 08:41:07 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on January 23, 2013, 08:33:34 PM

Poor Vigil...that's like being the last kid standing after everyone has been picked and the teams are full.     

Darksiders was a decent seller too. If THQ had actually marketed the thing, it would have sold a lot better. Shame Vigil got screwed. I hope they come out of it ok, but it's looking doubtful.

David Roberts

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »

Quote from: davidrobots on January 23, 2013, 08:41:07 PM

Darksiders was a decent seller too. If THQ had actually marketed the thing, it would have sold a lot better. Shame Vigil got screwed. I hope they come out of it ok, but it's looking doubtful.

That is too bad, I liked both Darksiders games.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 09:02:19 PM »

I'm not sure how I feel about Koch Media buying Volition and Metro.  Deep Silver isn't exactly a publishing powerhouse and they generally put out niche games, buggy games, and weird Eastern European stuff.  Some of which is really cool, but none of which is as polished or mass market as something like Saints Row The Third.

Also hard to believe that Vigil is now basically dust in the wind.

I wonder if Double Fine was able to reacquire the distribution rights to their games that THQ had published (Costume Quest and Stacking)?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 09:05:32 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 23, 2013, 09:02:19 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about Koch Media buying Volition and Metro.  Deep Silver isn't exactly a publishing powerhouse and they generally put out niche games, buggy games, and weird Eastern European stuff.  Some of which is really cool, but none of which is as polished or mass market as something like Saints Row The Third.

this.  hopefully they realize that Volition has the experience to do what they need to do and decide to let them do it.  I just saw how much was paid for what:

Relic and Company of Heroes
Winning bid: $26.6 million - Sega Corporation
Backup bidder: $26.3 million - Zenimax Media

THQ Montreal, with 1666 and Underdog
Winning bid: $2.5 million - Ubisoft
Backup bidder: N/A

Evolve aka Metamorphosis
Winning bid: $10.894 million - Take-Two Interactive
Backup bidder: $250,000 Turtle Rock Studios, Inc.

Volition and Saints Row
Winning bid: $22.3 million - Koch Media GmbH (Deep Silver)
Backup bidder: $5.4 million - Ubisoft

Homefront
Winning bid: $544,218 - Crytek GmbH

Metro, which includes 2033 and 2034
Winning bid: $5,877,551 - Koch Media GmbH (Deep Silver)
Backup bidder: $5.175 million - Ubisoft

South Park: The Stick of Truth
Winning bid: $3,265,306 - Ubisoft

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 09:13:10 PM »

I bet Take Two is kicking themselves for way overbidding on Evolve.  Anyone know if this was sealed bid, or would others have an opportunity to respond?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 09:25:54 PM »

Lol at Ubisoft's Volition bid.  Or maybe  crybaby if I'm Deep Silver overbidding so much?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »

It's especially sad since they were my favorite (and IMO the best) developers in the group.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 09:45:02 PM »

One ironic twist is that with Ubisoft acquiring THQ Montreal, they also get Patrice Desilets' unannounced game that he left Ubisoft to make in the first place.  From what I hear, most of the people at THQ Montreal were disgruntled ex-Ubisoft Montreal employees, so it will be interesting all around.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 10:03:37 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on January 23, 2013, 09:40:12 PM

It's especially sad since they were my favorite (and IMO the best) developers in the group.

Who are they and what have they done?,can't really find anything on the net..or at least not the same Vigil i don't think

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 10:08:28 PM »

From word on the street, it sounded like Vigil actually wasn't a good developer to pickup, with some poor business practices within the studio before and during the time they were with THQ.

I have a feeling that Saints Row should be fine at Deep Silver, the question is, are they going to keep Volition intact?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:04:59 PM by Turtle » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 23, 2013, 10:03:37 PM

Who are they and what have they done?,can't really find anything on the net..or at least not the same Vigil i don't think

Vigil made the Darksiders games, so unless someone eventually buys them, the series is likely dead frown

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 10:47:31 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on January 23, 2013, 10:32:19 PM

Vigil made the Darksiders games, so unless someone eventually buys them, the series is likely dead frown

They were also several years into the development of a Warhammer 40K MMO (that went dark and was said to be re-targeted as a non-MMO game).

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 10:58:32 PM »

Which is fine with me, Darksiders 2 is a good enough way to end the series IMO.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »

Just make sure CoH 2 makes it out the door in a good state and I'm a happy camper.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 11:03:10 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on January 23, 2013, 11:02:00 PM

Just make sure CoH 2 makes it out the door in a good state and I'm a happy camper.

it'll come out once they figure out how to incorporate Sonic into it biggrin

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 05:43:57 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 23, 2013, 10:58:32 PM

Which is fine with me, Darksiders 2 is a good enough way to end the series IMO.

???? Howzzat?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Death doesn't push the storyline any further ahead - the only thing he does is answer why War gets a second chance with the council - basically Death's entire game is during the sequence from where War loses to the giant during the apocalypse, and when War is revived and pursues the tasks per the council.

Death is eventually resurrected by the end of Darksiders 1, which means that the other two horsemen (well, one woman) are running parallel stories. Darksiders 5 will progress the story, unless they skip one/or/both for now, have the "how death is brought back to life" in the opening of Darksiders III and then continue on with ass-kicking.

Vigil, you guys were certainly unappreciated. I hope the IP, and the developers manage to find new homes in the industry.

Homefront, Metro and Darksiders were my favorite THQ licenses. I guess the 60M bid wasn't bumped, because the bids here only add up to ~72M. Perhaps the THQ assets not picked up will still fall to their original buyer, and we may still see another Darksiders title.

As for Homefront 2 - the premise, the story and the characters were done well. The game was lackluster and short though, and I get that. With Crytek, perhaps they can balance that with their fantastic approach to game engines, and ride the success of an established story arc.
Hardly an "ending".

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 06:00:19 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 23, 2013, 09:45:02 PM

One ironic twist is that with Ubisoft acquiring THQ Montreal, they also get Patrice Desilets' unannounced game that he left Ubisoft to make in the first place.  From what I hear, most of the people at THQ Montreal were disgruntled ex-Ubisoft Montreal employees, so it will be interesting all around.

oh wow, sucks to be them.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 03:03:23 PM »

Ahh thanks,when i looked them up i was clicking on the Vigil Software link,totally different company

here is Vigils 'goodbye' letter from NeoGAF
My name is Ben Cureton, and I was the Lead Combat Designer at Vigil Games. I'm sitting at my desk among... what appears to be a warzone. The walls look bare. It's quiet.

The seats are empty.

We've all been on edge for the past couple months... and more so, the last couple weeks. I mean, I'm sure you can imagine what it's like to wonder if you will have a job tomorrow. Most of us here joked about it just to keep the mood light, but we all knew what could happen. Now I look around and I realize... it did happen.

Am I sad? Well yea. I've been in this industry for 20 years. Seriously. Two decades. I've been laid off more than once. It sucks every time. But am I sad I don't have a job? Not really... I'm sure I'll get another one eventually. I'm sad because it won't be THIS job. It won't be at Vigil. That's why I'm sad. The people I waged war with are no longer together. The people that I bled with, vented with, argued with (often times LOUDLY), and kicked back with... these people will never be together again in the same combination.

Not that it was perfect. But what is perfect? Did I like coming to work? Yes. Was I proud of the work that I did? Yes. More importantly, was I proud of the work that WE did? Absolutely. I knew, without a shadow of the doubt, that the project we were working on (Codenamed: Crawler) was going to blow people away. In fact, it DID blow people away. We did, in TWO months, what many companies haven't done in a year. The pride of knowing that no one was doing anything like us was so satisfying, it kept us coming to work and giving 100% every single day, even through the dark times.

... so maybe you can imagine what it feels like when you read the list of who bought what only to discover your name is not on the list. Why? Did we do something wrong? Were we not good enough? Were we not worth 'anything?' Imagine that.

Vigil was filled with people that I would put up against the best in the industry. People that made my work better, people that made me a better designer, and people that made me a better person. And now they are gone.

Their seats are empty.

It's OK, though. I guess this post makes it sound a bit melodramatic. Seriously... if you work in the video game industry you have to be resilient. Doing what you love often comes with a price - anyone who has been around for a while can tell you that. Today, that price has been paid. That being said, I'd still never dissuade anyone from following their dreams if their dream is to make video games. While it's not as romantic as it sounds, it's sure a hell of a lot of fun.

So don't cry for the people at Vigil. We made games for game players. I have no Horror stories from working here... only Honor stories. Through both praise and critiques alike, our goal was always to make a product as if we, ourselves, were the end-user. We may have gotten pushed and pulled in certain directions by forces out of our control, we were always in it to make games for game players. And that's what we did.

I can only hope that those spared from the other companies remain employed long into the future. There is not much worse than false hope, and these people deserve to continue making great games. You may not know their names, but they exist, and they bleed, sweat, and cry for your entertainment. I mean that honestly, with no negativity. They do it... no, WE do it... because we want you to have a good time.

In closing, I can only say thank you to the fans of Vigil games. Your support means more than you can imagine. Your feedback (both positive and negative) gave us long-lasting insight that we will all take with us, wherever we may go. You are the reason we made Darksiders 1 &2... and you are the reason we will continue to make games.

And with that... my seat is empty.

Ben Cureton
Lead Combat Designer
Vigil Games

P.S. This is no place for a horse.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 03:14:59 PM »

I'm nervous about Company of Heroes 2. It seems too close to release to unplug, but I suspect Sega's more interested in Warhammer, Darksiders etc. Hell, I'm just worried Relic will get amalgamated into another nostalgic memory.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 05:38:36 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 24, 2013, 03:14:59 PM

I'm nervous about Company of Heroes 2. It seems too close to release to unplug, but I suspect Sega's more interested in Warhammer, Darksiders etc. Hell, I'm just worried Relic will get amalgamated into another nostalgic memory.

Sega has owned Creative Assembly for years and they release more Total War games all the time.  I don't think Relic has much to worry about when it comes to making more great RTS games.

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 09:26:57 PM »

We're trying to get some word directly from someone at Vigil (they live in my town) We'll keep you posted.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 09:56:30 PM »

That was a classy goodbye letter from Ben Cureton at Vigil.  He sounds like a really good guy.  Thanks for posting that.  It stinks that they didn't get picked up by a publisher. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 10:16:18 PM »

I'm really surprised no one picked up Vigil.  I know Darksiders 2 didn't sell as well as expected, but the franchise has a ton of potential.  You'd think someone would have realized that.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 10:40:04 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on January 24, 2013, 10:16:18 PM

I'm really surprised no one picked up Vigil.  I know Darksiders 2 didn't sell as well as expected, but the franchise has a ton of potential.  You'd think someone would have realized that.

the Bayonetta guys may be interested.

Because I can,
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 11:29:11 PM »

I hope Platinum Games is able to get Darksiders

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 11:51:40 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on January 24, 2013, 10:16:18 PM

They were apparently working on new IP.  So you had to pay the price to buy them and then also pay the price to finish the game, which was still very early.  Could have gotten expensive fast.  They clearly had some talent though, and it's a shame they couldn't get picked up.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »

I hope Volition will be given the chance to make a new Freespace, but the odds of succesfully navigating an asteroid field creating a new non-kickstarter space sim are approximately 3,720 to 1.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on January 25, 2013, 11:21:05 AM

I hope Volition will be given the chance to make a new Freespace, but the odds of succesfully navigating an asteroid field creating a new non-kickstarter space sim are approximately 3,720 to 1.

Never tell me the odds!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 01:37:16 PM »

CoH2 and Relic should be fine. Sega puts out PC stuff all the time, in fact, they've been putting out some pretty good stuff weirdly enough. Although, what will happen to Relic in the long term remains to be seen. We do know that Sega wants to further it's PC development capabilities a lot, so we'll see how it goes.

I'm really concerned about Volitions ability to make a new Saints Row. Then again, this is the same publisher that put out the crazy messed up Dead Island, and its standalone expansion. Those were messed up both in a good way (setting and theme) and in a bad way (bugs, weirdly disjointed plot or lack thereof). So I guess if there's one publisher that would really work well with Volition, it's Deep Silver.

One of the reasons why Vigil actually didn't get picked up was that I heard a lot of negative things about the studio's business practices, before and during its time with THQ. Which is sad since they still made some good stuff. Shame that it's very unlikely that Darksiders 3 will ever get made.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 25, 2013, 01:37:16 PM

One of the reasons why Vigil actually didn't get picked up was that I heard a lot of negative things about the studio's business practices, before and during its time with THQ. Which is sad since they still made some good stuff. Shame that it's very unlikely that Darksiders 3 will ever get made.

As I understand it, once the IP is decoupled from Vigil, it can be sold off as a smaller part. Honestly, I'd love to see a company like Ninja Theory get their hands on it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 07:07:54 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 25, 2013, 01:37:16 PM

CoH2 and Relic should be fine. Sega puts out PC stuff all the time, in fact, they've been putting out some pretty good stuff weirdly enough. Although, what will happen to Relic in the long term remains to be seen. We do know that Sega wants to further it's PC development capabilities a lot, so we'll see how it goes.

yeah, they're in good hands with SEGA.  I just hope their QA team doesn't suffer; some of the PC stuff Sega has put out has been fairly buggy.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 08:54:42 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 23, 2013, 08:17:06 PM

I hope the IPs fare better than they did when 3DO was carved up.  I'm still waiting on High Heat Baseball.  Microsoft has been sitting on it for a decade.

Looking Glass Studios (RIP 2000) is another company whose IP's didn't survive the butcher block too well. Since their demise - only 1 Thief game in 13 years, the Flight Unlimited code deep in forgotten storage at EA  and a Janes Attack Squadron that ends up being a complete piece of crap! All of those series consistently turned out AAA titles before the carving up of LG.

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 23, 2013, 09:02:19 PM

Not to mention that their movie distribution branch has releases a lot of products that are of dubious quality. Overall I don't see them as a company too concerned about quality.

I'm skeptical about Sega buying Relic - they decimated so many of their own studios with bad policies and practices. I have some concerns for relic such as unrealistic dev cycles and poorer quality due to products being rushed to market. Creative Assembly does seemed to have maintained their quality under them, so hopefully whatever relationship the have with Sega will transfer to Relic.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:57:43 AM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: