http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 01:44:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Those still looking for a Wii or PS3  (Read 3050 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2006, 07:23:10 PM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133608

Looks like Bestbuy will be having a big ole pile of Wii's this weekend, which coincides with that CNN report Hetz posted in another thread. It looks like PS3's will be a little harder to come by with them being restocked in limited supply every couple of days.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 04:18:31 PM »

My local EB is getting some as well.  I really want to try and get one, but I'm going to be busy helping a friend move on Sunday so I may not get time to wait in line.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 05:12:37 PM »

Yeah for Wiis this looks like the big one.  A Best Buy down the road from me is getting around 40.  I got confirmation from Target, too, so I think that's where I'm going to be heading.  I just have a feeling Best Buy is going to be packed.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 09:19:26 PM »

I think all of the big boys are going to be packed tomorrow/tonight. I hope everyone on here who tries is able to get one. I still can't believe I actually stumbled into a Target 9 days after launch and they had them for sale (2 days after I got one by waiting in line for 45 minutes). I thought the shortage was over then, but obviously I was wrong. I have a buddy who has been going crazy every weekend trying to get one, so I hope they really have "flooded" the market for tomorrow.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 09:59:20 PM »

Good luck to everyone trying for one tomorrow.  Word of advice: grab some controllers now.  I only got one extra, and once we started playing multiplayer, I wished I'd gotten more, and wished I'd gotten an extra nunchuck.  I managed to find another wiimote, and I'm waiting until Play comes out to get the fourth, but make no mistake, this is the console you want to invest in for the extra controllers.

Also, Elebits is quite a bit of fun.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 01:06:21 AM »

Well, thanks to a small DVD shopping spree I'm going to be sleeping in tomorrow morning.  Good luck to everyone trying to get one tomorrow!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 05:42:00 AM »

People are fucking insane.  Just got back from Target, and there are about 30 people liined up outside - in a goddamn blizzard - waiting to get a Wii tomorrow morning.   Seriously, it's currently 25 degrees and dumping snow, and these people are sitting outside in their camp chairs.  Madness...

Overheard one of the managers telling someone in the store that they only got 15 units, and he's going to go out and tell everyone after 16th in line to go home.   Good luck with that.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 06:08:05 AM »

I'm very torn whether to go to bed or go get in line. The Best Buy I passed on the way home already had about 10 folks in line. The Target and Circuit City had a handful as well.  I stopped by a Wal-Mart to see what their plan was, being open 24 hours and all, and was told that Wal-Mart would not be selling any more Wiis until the strap issue was fixed. Something about not wanting to be sued for selling defective merchandise.

Argh. I guess I'll try to catch a few winks and then go get in line somewhere. It's basically the only thing I really want for Christmas.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 06:51:43 AM »

Wow, it sounds like the search is just getting even harder as time goes by.  I was kind of afraid that might happen, which is why I did my campout a few weeks ago.  Okay, that, and I was getting tired of waiting.  I'll be interested to hear more reports of the line situation tomorrow.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 12:21:25 PM »

Got screwed at Target.  Showed up at 6AM and there were only two people in line.  Thought I was golden, so I waited in line as #3 for about 20 minutes when someone came down and said that the REAL line was on the upper level.  Damn multi-level Targets!  I went up and assumed position as around #40.  The guys in front had camped out since 10PM the night before. 

At 7AM the employee comes out and hands out his 15 tickets.  Turns out if you weren't there by about midnight, you got nothing.  Back to sleep for me.  At least I'm $250 richer than I thought I'd be at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 12:26:45 PM by kathode » Logged
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 12:31:22 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 17, 2006, 05:42:00 AM

People are fucking insane.  Just got back from Target, and there are about 30 people liined up outside - in a goddamn blizzard - waiting to get a Wii tomorrow morning.   Seriously, it's currently 25 degrees and dumping snow, and these people are sitting outside in their camp chairs.  Madness...

Overheard one of the managers telling someone in the store that they only got 15 units, and he's going to go out and tell everyone after 16th in line to go home.   Good luck with that.

icon_lol

That is going to be one ugly scene. I hope some of you were able to get one today...but it's not sounding very good so far. Looks like there are not that many being held for today.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 01:20:15 PM »

Thankfully my wife had a friend who works at Gamestop call her right before 7am on Saturday to say they had a shipment of Wiis (total of 8, and they had to hold 6 for Sunday).  So she got there before their were any crowds in the mall, they double wrapped it to avoid mall riots, and she wrapped it under the christmas tree. 

I've never felt so accomplished..even though she did all the work.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 01:32:59 PM »

Ugh.  No Wii for me.

xbox live: nude rick james
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 04:19:52 PM »

About 75 people in line for 18 at Target.
There were 12 already in line and turning folks away for the 6 at Gamestop #1.
I was #12 for 9 units at Gamestop #2. If I'd gone with a different mall entrance, I'd have had one.

I'm a bit bummed at the moment, but I'll get over it.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 05:45:41 PM »

So any guesses on how many of these will end up on eBay?  thumbsdown

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 06:16:21 PM »

Showed up at about 4:45am, Target had 17 people in line for 12 units, Best Buy had to have at least 50 people in line for 25 units.

Ah well.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 07:27:03 PM »

I waited outside Best Buy from 2:00am until about 7:15am when they handed out tickets. I was number 27 and they end up with only 18 Wiis. So, no we for the kids for Christmas....but I think they will be fine  :slywink:. There will be plenty in the coming months.

One thing that was particularly annoying: there were about 8 people in the front of the line that have camped out for each shipment so that they could resell. Obviously, they have the right..and got their sooner, but it feels bad to see mom's and dad's waiting in line to get one for their kids while the punks at the front are bragging about how much money they are making off them.

Offsetting this, one college aged girl.....upon seeing that she got a ticket, gave hers to a mother that had been camped out since 11 last night. Very touching as this girl had been there since 9pm the previous night. THAT is what the holidays are about  icon_biggrin!

R
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2006, 08:08:26 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on December 17, 2006, 06:51:43 AM

Wow, it sounds like the search is just getting even harder as time goes by.  I was kind of afraid that might happen, which is why I did my campout a few weeks ago.  Okay, that, and I was getting tired of waiting.  I'll be interested to hear more reports of the line situation tomorrow.

Yeah tell me about it!!! I thought things would get better as time went on. Turns out the holidays made it worse!

A few weeks ago one could show up around 7am before a 10am opening of BB and still be able to get a ticket for a Wii.

Welcome to the Bovine.
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2006, 08:12:00 PM »

..And I just checked Ebay and saw a few Wiis going for 600 bucks!!  saywhat

No bundle, no extra games. Just the system.

Welcome to the Bovine.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2006, 08:17:01 PM »

Yeah, but they'll go down after Christmas. Right now, though, eBay's NOT the place to shop for a deal on Wii.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 08:23:05 PM »

Amazon is doing a special promotion.

Go there and sign up for a chance to purchase one
http://promotions.amazon.com/gp/holiday/cv/homepage/ref=amb_link_4088572_1/102-1454320-6279336
Just in time for the holidays, we're selling limited quantities of the ridiculously hard-to-find Sony PlayStation 3 (20GB and 60GB) and Nintendo Wii! Read more.

How This Works (Please Read Carefully)

Select the item that you want: the Sony PlayStation 3 (20GB), the Nintendo Wii, or the Sony PlayStation 3 (60GB). Then click the "Sign up" button under that item to get a chance to be randomly selected for the opportunity to purchase that item. Note:

* Your Amazon.com account must have been created no later than 11:59 p.m. (Pacific time) on December 11, 2006.
    * You need an authorized credit card on your account.
    * The claim codes will be distributed only to randomly selected customers.
    * If selected, you are eligible to buy only the deal that you signed up for.

The sign-up process ends on Sunday, December 17, at 11:59 p.m. Pacific time. Come back to this page anytime on Tuesday, December 19 (12:00 a.m. - 11:59 p.m. Pacific time), to find out if you have been randomly selected for the opportunity to purchase the console that you signed up for.

Current odds of winning a chance to buy
PS3 20gig   7 to 1
PS3 60gig   33 to 1
Wii    19 to 1
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 10:44:13 PM »

I already have a Wii for myself that I got at Launch but I waited in line since 1045 last night to get one for a gift and if you werent in line before midnight you didnt get one. there were two different families in the front of the line that got 6-8 Wiis for each family so it kind of screwed anyone else. I got lucky but still had to wait 9 hours for my unit. I was # 19 in line out of 24 I got mine and one extra controller and nunchuck so I am happy.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2006, 10:59:35 PM »

Quote from: Samurai on December 17, 2006, 08:08:26 PM

Quote from: Chaz on December 17, 2006, 06:51:43 AM

Yeah tell me about it!!! I thought things would get better as time went on. Turns out the holidays made it worse!

A few weeks ago one could show up around 7am before a 10am opening of BB and still be able to get a ticket for a Wii.

There was absolutely no way things would get better the closer to the 25th. The machine has gotten more exposure since its launch and this is definitely scramble time. There's no longer any point for Nintendo do be doing any type of "throttling" of the supply, if it was done at all.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2006, 11:22:31 PM »

The question now is how soon after the new year will they be easy to purchase?

xbox live: nude rick james
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 11:51:51 PM »

When I read reports of people saying things like, "My friend in college got one and won't stop talking about it so I figured it's only $250 why not?"; that of course is anectdotal and I remember reading it off Kotaku, but I think that is an attitude that is permeating. Since when did $250 become play money is beyond me, but besides that point I think that the machine is getting a mainstream kind of bump at the moment. We can only hope that Nintendo and 3rd parties deliver software deserving of all this hype.

here it is, from Joystiq :

"On the other hand we met Joe who was waiting outside in the 31 degree (-1 C) weather because of the Wii's good buzz, he says, "I'm gonna be completely honest, I didn't want the Wii, but my friend got one at launch and he can't stop talking about it. So, I figure, for $250 -- why not?" Joe already purchased Zelda, now he just needs the system to play it on."

I doubt this is widespread, but you've got to be real hot to be considered worth a shot in the dark at $250...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 11:56:43 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 01:45:20 AM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on December 17, 2006, 10:59:35 PM

There was absolutely no way things would get better the closer to the 25th. The machine has gotten more exposure since its launch and this is definitely scramble time. There's no longer any point for Nintendo do be doing any type of "throttling" of the supply, if it was done at all.

Well it sounds like they've already surpassed 2 million sold worldwide in under a month. How quickly did 360 hit that mark?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 01:51:22 AM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on December 17, 2006, 10:59:35 PM

There's no longer any point for Nintendo do be doing any type of "throttling" of the supply, if it was done at all.

I like it, we know when the thing will be out and there is no guess work. This time last year I had to go to CC and BB everyday in hopes of finding a 360 and listening to employees estimates on when they would get more. 3 friends were able to get theirs today because they knew exactly who had them and when to be there.

Driving home this morning I passed 2 Best Buys at about 7AM. They both had 30-50 people in line.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 02:17:32 AM »

I went to EB Games today to pick up some other stuff and asked the sales drone when he thought I could just walk into a store and pick up a Wii. He said probably not until the end of January.

Guess I'll be waiting until the end of January.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 02:26:59 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on December 18, 2006, 01:45:20 AM

Well it sounds like they've already surpassed 2 million sold worldwide in under a month. How quickly did 360 hit that mark?

There's no question the Wii is seeing tremendous demand but comparing purely numbers sold at launch isn't very logical since the rates of availability were so drastically different.  No way were there 2 million 360's in existence by December 2005.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006, 02:43:52 AM »

Quote from: kathode on December 18, 2006, 02:26:59 AM

There's no question the Wii is seeing tremendous demand but comparing purely numbers sold at launch isn't very logical since the rates of availability were so drastically different.  No way were there 2 million 360's in existence by December 2005.

Precisely...my point was that I don't think Nintendo is "throttling" the supply, based on the fact that they've produced way more units than Sony or Microsoft did at launch.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2006, 03:06:49 AM »

Quote from: kathode on December 18, 2006, 02:26:59 AM

Seriously-launch numbers are inherently limited by total available supply. If 360 sold 100% of total supply and so did Wii, why the hell should I be so impressed about Wiis sales? We all know why the Wii is available in such large numbers, but apparently the fact that its internals are gimped isn't an issue biggrin
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2006, 05:07:21 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on December 18, 2006, 02:43:52 AM

Precisely...my point was that I don't think Nintendo is "throttling" the supply, based on the fact that they've produced way more units than Sony or Microsoft did at launch.

Just depends on how you define throttling.  There were definitely Wiis in the storeroom in Target this week that weren't allowed to be sold until Sunday.  Doing that does create an inflated demand on the days that it will be sold.  Compare it with the posts of people who randomly find PS3's and think that means supply is outpacing demand.  But it's really a toss-up as to which restocking strategy is best for the consumer.  With Nintendo's you know when to expect them, but it can create tense situations when you have to disappoint lots and lots of hopeful parents and regular people without the means to camp out at a store overnight.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2006, 12:58:32 PM »

Quote from: kathode on December 18, 2006, 05:07:21 AM

Just depends on how you define throttling.  There were definitely Wiis in the storeroom in Target this week that weren't allowed to be sold until Sunday.  Doing that does create an inflated demand on the days that it will be sold.  Compare it with the posts of people who randomly find PS3's and think that means supply is outpacing demand.  But it's really a toss-up as to which restocking strategy is best for the consumer.  With Nintendo's you know when to expect them, but it can create tense situations when you have to disappoint lots and lots of hopeful parents and regular people without the means to camp out at a store overnight.

Yeah, but holding stuff for Sunday has got nothing to do with Nintendo and everything to do with newspaper inserts
from the various retailers. We had the same thing with PS3s a few weeks ago.
Wii demand where I am is waaaaay higher than PS3 demand based on the number of phone calls we receive and
the number of walk-ins asking for the two systems. I think the price may have a fair bit to do with that, or maybe
it's all the mainstream press exposure, and in some cases it's the nostalgia factor/uniqueness.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2006, 01:42:28 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on December 18, 2006, 12:58:32 PM

Wii demand where I am is waaaaay higher than PS3 demand based on the number of phone calls we receive and the number of walk-ins asking for the two systems.

From what I hear at my local Gamestop, it's the exact same thing. Heck - I went in one day after like 2pm, and they honestly told me they had PS3s in stock, and that I could pick one up right then if I was interested.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2006, 03:56:43 PM »

Anyone still in the hunt should make a habit of calling or stopping by their local TRU every day this week.  They'll continue to receive restocks of PS3s and Wiis throughout the week (and TMX if anyone is looking for that as well):

TRU Press Release

Toys "R" Us, Inc. announced today that the company's 587 U.S. toy stores will continue to receive deliveries of the season's hottest toys through Christmas Eve, including a shipment of more than 65,000 T.M.X. Elmos arriving on store shelves this morning.

"As THE toy authority, Toys "R" Us worked aggressively throughout the year to ensure that the season's best sellers and 'hard-to-find' toys continue arriving in stores nationwide during the critical week leading up to Christmas," said Ron Boire, President, Toys "R" Us, U.S. "And with seven days remaining in the holiday shopping season, customers will find that Toys 'R' Us has the best selection and stock of all of the toys on kids' wish lists this year."

Here is a sampling of some of the numerous toy shipments expected to hit Toys "R" Us stores this week:

CARS Character Car Assortment   -   350,000+ units
      "T.M.X." Elmo   -   65,000+ units
      GameBoy Advance   -   40,000+ units
      Kid-Tough Digital Camera   -   30,000+ units
      Xbox 360   -   30,000+ units
      PollyWorld Dress & Drive Lounge   -   13,000+ units
      PlayStation 3   -   6,000+ units
      Wii (plus, stock on controllers, games and more)   -   Thousands of units
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2006, 05:43:53 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on December 17, 2006, 08:23:05 PM

Amazon is doing a special promotion.

Anyone else sign up for this? I signed up and actually won. I already have a Wii, but I signed up for my poor buddy who's been trying every weekend to score one, but failed. It's funny, he had just about every in-law/relative trying to score one for him. His brother-lin-law's wife HAD A BABY this morning and he still took the time to check and let my friend know he hadn't won. Lucky for him, I did. I ordered his Wii at lunch and hopefully it will arrive before Christmas! I think the final odds were in the low 20s to 1.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2006, 05:52:29 PM »

Final odds were 28 to 1 for a Wii I think.  I lost frown  Time to exploit my contacts list icon_wink
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2006, 05:55:01 PM »

I tried and lost too, I demand a recount!
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2006, 08:20:50 PM »

Tried. Still wii-less.

Though I'm happy for you and your friend JCC. That's very cool of you.

[EDIT: 'cause I can't read quotes properly]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 12:58:59 AM by CrayolaSmoker » Logged

DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2006, 08:40:09 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on December 19, 2006, 08:20:50 PM

Tried. Still wii-less.

Though I'm happy for you and your friend DarkEL. That's very cool of you.

Wasn't me
 paranoid
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: