http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 05:22:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This makes me very happy (We Love Katamari)  (Read 4071 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2005, 03:17:59 AM »

We Love Katamari is releasing in Japan next week.  I can't wait till it shows up here.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 04:33:56 AM »

You know why Namco loves Katamari? smile  Check their pocketbooks for the answer.

The rest of the world:  Well...'cause it's just gosh durned fun! </texan>

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 07:11:25 AM »

Is the title a sequel, or are there more drastic changes to the ol' formula?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 01:32:19 PM »

I know this will get me thrown into the dungeon for the night, but,

I don't love KAtamari. I thought it was very boring.

There, i've said it. I will now go into the dungeon and lock myself away, so that the higher people don't have to look upon me.

Just don't forget to feed me.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 01:54:09 PM »

I thought it was amusing, but nothing really more than that. Truly the most screwed up game I've ever played though, so it does bear that distinction.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 04:42:30 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
I know this will get me thrown into the dungeon for the night, but,

I don't love KAtamari. I thought it was very boring.

Heh. I can understand that actually.  While I loved it, it's not for everyone.  But you have to admit that it's a unique game - nothing else out there quite like it.  And it apparently sold well enough to warrant a sequel.  That's refreshing in an age of Ultra 3xtreme Combat Shooter 4.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 06:41:37 PM »

I found Katamari so brilliant, so novel, so addictive - it reminded me of the first time I played Mario. No joke. It was just a kind of, "wow, I can do this?" It is the innovation that video games came from in the first place.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 07:16:40 PM »

ust don't forget to feed me.

Sparhawk, bring your computer with you - got to "Off-Topic" the July 3, 1976 post... there's lots of cake there!

Btw, it was very gracious of you to go to the dungeon yourself... a lesser person wouldn't have done that! :wink:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 09:14:34 PM »

I just could never get into the first one frown
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 10:06:12 PM »

I always feel like I am on drugs when I play it.  It's so quirky and charming.  It's a fun game to pick up and play for just a short amount of time and then on to something else.  Plus you can't deny the price was right.  I would have loved it if Namco didn't raise the price on the sequel.

This game is going to be HUGE when it makes it to the PSP.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 11:21:14 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

I hope so but how in the heck is it going to control without two analog sticks?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 12:16:15 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "stiffler"

I hope so but how in the heck is it going to control without two analog sticks?

Maybe you will point the katamari with the analog stick and use the buttons to move it, with some combination of the buttons with shoulder buttons to modify the commands?

I honestly don't think this will be as difficult to overcome as it will be with true FPS games, but who knows.  I'm not really good at controlling my katamari with two sticks so maybe it would be easier for me with just one!

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 01:46:45 AM »

I think the DS is better suited for its Katamari port.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 07:21:22 PM »

I'll give Katamari the "innovative" accolade that it deserves. I do hope more that more games come out that are as creative. Unfortunately, for me, the game never clicked. I do understand how awesome it could be for others, and maybe I should give it another go at some point.

I love Ico, and many people are probably aware of that, but others did not like it. So, the Katamari fans have their sequel on the way, as do the Ico fans.

All is well in the world of gaming. A balance has been struck, and the people are rabid with excitement!

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 08:09:41 PM »

I've always wanted to play Ico. Can you buy it new anywhere? Or is it a trader/rental/ebay kind of title?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 09:27:31 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I've always wanted to play Ico. Can you buy it new anywhere? Or is it a trader/rental/ebay kind of title?

You shouldn't have any trouble finding it new (and for $15 or so) since it was recently re-released.

It might only be worth it to rent since it isn't very long.  That said, it seems like a great many CG'rs enjoyed it enough to replay it every few months.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 10:12:24 PM »

It was re-released? Awesome! I'll take a look around for it.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2005, 07:34:10 PM »

As far as I can tell, Ico is still discontinued. Anyone know anything about its re-release?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2005, 04:06:38 AM »

Ico on half.com

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2005, 01:57:35 AM »

GameSpot has impressions of the import here.

Some highlights:
The gameplay retains the awesome simplicity of the original game, but refines it by trying to smooth out the camera.

What makes the visuals shine, though, is the game's insane sense of style. The development team has gone to town and packed the game with sheer lunacy, which gives We Love Katamari an undeniable charm.

We Love Katamari is currently slated to ship in October for the PlayStation 2.

Yay!  Be sure to check out the movies.  They have the intro movie and I could swear that sounds like Tom Jones singing in the background!  Rock on!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005, 07:21:32 PM »

God bless eBay. Found a new, sealed copy of Ico for $20 CDN from a guy from Ontario.

That's in Canada. You know, above America.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2005, 03:53:46 PM »

Eurogamer has a review of We Love Katamari up.  9/10

In other words, we love We Love Katamari. We expect that some will criticise it because it's about rolling around and picking things up again, but once you scratch the surface of this amazing game, it's clear that imagination has run wild to an extent that makes the first game look restrained. We Love Katamari is consistently surprising and full of unexpected delights even for players who squeezed the last drops out of the first game; it takes the concept that we loved so much and asks "I wonder what else we can do with this" with a huge cheeky grin on its face and a pocket full of Class-A drugs, Party Rings and bathroom cleaning products.

In short, it's brilliant - and even if you've never played the original Katamari Damacy, it's accessible and hugely enjoyable, with a learning curve that'll be kind to beginners while still providing plenty of entertainment to veterans of the Prince's rolling expeditions.

I'm so stoked for this one!
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2005, 02:10:20 AM »

I thought the 1st Katamari, though very creative, become bland after a while, due to the lack of variety in level design.  The sequel though is a much better and refined version of 1st Katamari.  

I found the level where you try to roll up a huge bouquet of flower for your loved one very charming.  So is rolling up cookies & candies for 2 hungry kids a la Hansel und Gretel, with the witch and candy house included.  You also try to roll a Sumo wrestler over any kinds of foods that you can find, so that he can gain enough weight to defeat an opponent.  The underwater level is a challenge as it naturally changes the physics of rolling a katamari.  

I would say the sequel is full of surprises.   Even if you find the 1st Katamari somewhat bland, you should give the sequel another try.  If you have kids, they will love rolling up all those cookies and candies.  If not, you can always let them wreck havoc in school by rolling up everything, with teachers's room and principal included.   :wink:
depward

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2005, 04:19:55 AM »

I didn't enjoy Katamari Damacy as much as I thought I would.  Sure, the beginning video was quirky as anything I've ever seen and made me laugh everytime I watched it.  And it had a pretty neato soundtrack.

But the gameplay got to be quickly.  It just grew boring for me.  And after awhile I didn't have a desire to play it anymore.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2005, 04:29:34 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
But the gameplay got to be quickly.  It just grew boring for me.  And after awhile I didn't have a desire to play it anymore.

So says the RPG lover?  Wow.  I can't believe some of the games you have slogged through lately and yet...

But seriously, I'm pretty much in your boat, Dep.  It was fun for awhile, but after awhile I just felt like I was doing the same thing over and over.  The pseudo drug effects of the intro movie wore off and I just grew tired of rolling my ball.

It's a fun game and has a nice zen-like appeal to it, but I didn't feel driven to keep building new planets.  That said, I think the new modes will be fun for multiplayer.  I still wish it carried the original $19.99 price tag.

Now get back to work! :wink:

Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2005, 02:00:35 AM »

How come I got the feeling that U.S. gamers got cheated badly?   :wink:

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2005, 02:11:24 AM »

I want to play as the giant purple dong katamari roller.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2005, 03:18:32 AM »

Well, it's certainly quirky.  It's also really ugly.  I'd say it looks like a child's drawing, but even children have better color sense than that slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
depward

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2005, 03:39:57 AM »

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth after seeing that!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2005, 07:21:10 AM »

I hear it's gonna go for $30...sounds like Namco's getting a little greedy

*runs away*

TheMissingLink on PSN
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2005, 08:18:56 PM »

I'm not a big fan of the site but 1up.com has the most brilliant review ever and it's for We Love Katamari!

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3143720&did=1
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2005, 09:00:34 PM »

That review is cute. But what I really want to know is....

ANYONE HAVE THIS YET?

and

IMPRESSIONS!

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2005, 10:52:45 PM »

The instruction manual is awesome.  That's all I got so far.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2005, 01:34:12 AM »

Expect a review by Monday, Rita-willing.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2005, 02:52:55 PM »

I'm picking it up on the weekend.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2005, 03:26:22 PM »

Wow...that review was great. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Zap Rowsdower
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2005, 08:32:30 PM »

Quote from: "Charlatan"
That review is cute. But what I really want to know is....

ANYONE HAVE THIS YET?

and

IMPRESSIONS!

I picked it up last night around 7-ish.

I finished it around midnight. I'm not sure if that's because of my, ahem, L33+ Katamari skillz or it was just easy. To be fair, I only achieved an "It's okay, I guess" result on most of the levels, but I still managed to finish all the levels but two on the first try. (And one of those levels, you're not supposed to pass until the end.) I've still got a good amount of playtime left since I need to go back and get "good" results at the end of the level.

The music? Okay. I don't like it quite as much as the original's soundtrack. Although the "Jingle Cats" version of the theme is pretty entertaining as is the Tom Jones-esque song that plays on the final level.

The gameplay? Pretty much the same. The Prince hasn't gained a magic hourglass that can stop time or anything similar. In additional to the old level types (Get above a certain size or finish in a certain time) the other new major type of level is "get above a certain size, then go to a certain point." The aren't as many gimmick levels (where you roll up birds or seafood or twins, etc.) as in the first.  (I'm leaving this a bit vague as I don't really want to spoil this for others.) And, on a different note, on some of the levels, when I went back to try and beat my old score, I discovered that on a few of them, I now had a different objective for the level. (As in, the level had changed from "get above X size" to "Get to Y size by Z time.") I'm not sure if I missed something there...

On the plus side though, it's still Katamari. It's still very addicitive. I did play it for about 6 1/2 hours in one sitting. The levels are very well designed, with little of the repetition in settings that the first had. And there's only 1 badly designed level. (On that one, you can't easily see what you're trying to roll up.) It's just basically more of the same, but it's really enjoyable more of the same.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2005, 10:08:12 AM »

Yeah, I'd say that could be classified as addictive biggrin

Played quite a bit of it today and actually had the chance to play some co-op with my brother.  Aside from an initial, "Which way are you rolling it?"  "RIGHT, RIGHT YOU MORON!"  "Why right, Christian?"  "WHAT THE HELL, PULL YOUR LEFT STICK BACK!  YOU ARE STUPID, ROLL IT LEFT - WHERE ARE YOU GOING!?"  "I want to pick up some of the fish."  "GO FOR THE BIG STUFF YOU IDIOT!!!", it was fun, lol.  Even during that it was entertaining.  I can just imagine playing this with a girlfriend...rolling up like, pencils, birds, etc. - good fun!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2005, 01:01:29 PM »

I'm getting a bit frustrated on the fire level, as I fell into the water a few times (by accident, honest!), and then I got to the campfire area but I suppose my katamari wasn't big enough to light the fire. So I'm taking a short break - but the other levels, they're great! smile

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2005, 03:01:30 PM »

Finally picked up WLK a few days ago, and it really does feel like an extension of the previous game. I think the levels in WLK are generally better than the original, but it doesn't seem to have the "magic" that the first did. Maybe it's just because there's such a sense of "been there, done that." And it's not a bad thing, but I remember being blown away by the first game - just utterly blown away. I thought it was brilliant. We Love Katamari is a very fun, very enjoyable game - but it just isn't the first.

If there's actually one complaint I have, it's that I wish the various people with requests were numbered, so I knew if there was an order I was to progress.

Then again, I love some of the more creative levels. The fire level was actually a little intense - not only did you have a time limit, but a forced push to keep a steady growth to the katamari. The cloud level was great. The sumo one was funny too. It's all good.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: