http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 10:10:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is why Kinect will fail  (Read 1362 times)
vizionblind
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:05:21 PM »

seriously it takes forever just to hit START? lame...

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-sonic-free-riders/17-3025/
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 07:07:23 PM »

because of idiots?  he's moving his hand too fast and not even looking at where the cursor was.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 07:58:33 PM »

although it's not the kind of game that interests me, i really don't think it looks particularly bad.  the controls look reasonable, action is fast, and i think it's something younger players could really enjoy.  as for hitting the 'start' button, i'm with Harkonis in thinking that had more to do with the player than the game...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:14:57 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:19:16 PM »

Quote from: disarm on August 08, 2010, 07:58:33 PM

although it's not the kind of game that interests me, i really don't think it looks particularly bad.  the controls look reasonable, action is fast, and i think it's something younger players could really enjoy.  as for hitting the 'start' button, i'm with Harkonis in think that had more to do with the player than the game...

yeah i didn't think it looked too bad and i am not really excited for Kinect at all

it gave me more of an impression that this would be better as an Arcade machine...if i went to the Arcades,i would have a mess about on it etc...but in my living room playing it i could see myself getting bored of it after a day or so,but that's just me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:21:26 PM »

When I first played a Wii it took me forever to hit Start as well, and I had a motion controller and a giant cursor. Probably just takes practice.

Of course, I got bored with a Wii after 10 minutes, so I'm probably not helping the Kinect's cause.  icon_biggrin
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:25:16 PM »

although it's not the kind of game that interests me, i really don't think it looks particularly bad.  the controls look reasonable, action is fast, and i think it's something younger players could really enjoy. 

I'm not really sure about that, kids knows when a shit game is shit and this game looks like pure unadulterated shit. Everything about this game screams rush job.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:54:41 PM »

I dunno, looks OK to me. I still think Kinect will fail, but just because even Nintendo has moved beyond pure motion controls. They're kind of old-hat now.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 12:23:14 AM »

Looks much better than I thought it would.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 01:32:18 AM »

Quote from: Maggot on August 08, 2010, 11:25:16 PM

although it's not the kind of game that interests me, i really don't think it looks particularly bad.  the controls look reasonable, action is fast, and i think it's something younger players could really enjoy. 
I'm not really sure about that, kids knows when a shit game is shit and this game looks like pure unadulterated shit. Everything about this game screams rush job.

I agree. The controls look unresponsive, the gameplay looks outright boring, and this just yells Early Alpha or Just Plain Crap.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 01:53:20 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 09, 2010, 01:32:18 AM

although it's not the kind of game that interests me, i really don't think it looks particularly bad.  the controls look reasonable, action is fast, and i think it's something younger players could really enjoy.

I agree. The controls look unresponsive, the gameplay looks outright boring, and this just yells Early Alpha or Just Plain Crap.

TBH that guy i have no idea what he was doing half the time,he was leaning a lot to the wrong side making his character slam into the side of the track,i kept thinking i was gonna shout out loud 'lean the other way you dumb prick!!'  ...and by the time the 3rd lap came round,he wasn't responsive to anything but a breather,he looked absolutely knackered even before he finished the race Tongue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 02:13:01 AM »

Well I'm going to be diplomatic and say that that guy isn't exactly in the best shape so that says more about him than the game.  The game actually doesn't look that bad but it does look like it might be fun for about 10 minutes.  Basically just like the Wii only not a commercial success.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 03:24:20 AM »

despite how poorly this looked due to the guy and his unfamiliarity with the controls, i don't think this is the type of game that sells the product.  it looks about as complex as a genesis game with mario kart attacks tacked on and not something i would be interested in even free. 

the initial problem with pressing start is valid though.  if it's not intuitive enough to pick up for someone used to games and motion controls, then how easy is it going to be for the average user who picks one up on a whim?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 03:27:58 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 09, 2010, 01:32:18 AM

although it's not the kind of game that interests me, i really don't think it looks particularly bad.  the controls look reasonable, action is fast, and i think it's something younger players could really enjoy.

It's a Sonic game - did you expect more?

I suppose I should just go with the flow then.

Kinect = Fail

Why? Because the intarwebs said so. Tongue

Imagine playing Black and White on that, or Magic Carpet. Heck, I think something like House of the Dead or Panzer dragoon orta would could be great.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 03:29:05 AM »

Quote from: Caine on August 09, 2010, 03:24:20 AM

despite how poorly this looked due to the guy and his unfamiliarity with the controls, i don't think this is the type of game that sells the product.  it looks about as complex as a genesis game with mario kart attacks tacked on and not something i would be interested in even free.  

the initial problem with pressing start is valid though.  if it's not intuitive enough to pick up for someone used to games and motion controls, then how easy is it going to be for the average user who picks one up on a whim?

I'd question his motor skills- he's used to waving a wiimote around which isn't accurate to your pointing direction either. Perhaps the placement of the camera is funny as well (eg too close, off to the side, etc). In the little bit I watched, I didn't get to see it.

I would expect the moving camera to recognize when you point at the screen. The icon wasn't like the wii with the big hand (and as such, I'm concerned about leaving the "common" interface to developers to change with every game).

Lastly, he likes talking about his sweat.

All of that being said, it's a Sonic game. It won't be in my house.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:32:32 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 04:31:51 AM »

I really don't understand the negativity towards Kinect. I mean to start a thread labeling it a failure from one obscure video is uncalled for in my opinion. The whole purpose of this forum is to discuss one of our favorite hobbies, why not if anything try and be supportive of it? It's not like the next Gears of War or Mass Effect are in danger of becoming fully Kinect controlled.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 05:26:03 AM »

Quote from: Purge on August 09, 2010, 03:27:58 AM

Imagine playing Black and White on that, or Magic Carpet. Heck, I think something like House of the Dead or Panzer dragoon orta would could be great.

That would be fun, yes, but the problem is is that I know we'll never get as something as cool as that on Kinect. At least Move has lightgun games planned for it. But, oh yeah, we've had that genre revival now for a bit thanks to the Wii.

Quote from: Ridah on August 09, 2010, 04:31:51 AM

I really don't understand the negativity towards Kinect. I mean to start a thread labeling it a failure from one obscure video is uncalled for in my opinion. The whole purpose of this forum is to discuss one of our favorite hobbies, why not if anything try and be supportive of it? It's not like the next Gears of War or Mass Effect are in danger of becoming fully Kinect controlled.

The problem is that I see my favorite hobby being changed into...whatever the hell Microsoft was smoking when they did E3 this year. That's the problem.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 06:12:03 AM »

You do realize all change is evil, right? ;-)

On a more serious note, then neither Kinect nor Move holds any particular interest to me - its the 3D of gaming, the new gimmick the suits thinks can make consumers forget about quality of the rest of the product. Hey, it worked for Avatar,so it could work for games as well, right?

If the unwashed masses wants that, then fine, but  I dont. I still like a decent story, decent graphics and one heck of a great gameplay to make my games great.

A new one
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 12:38:05 PM »

Because it is shovelware dreck
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 02:03:30 PM »

The combination of two deadly factors will prevent it from being accepted in here:

a) New
b) Not Nintendo

Only new tech from Nintendo is instantly snuggled into the warm bosom of GamingTrend.

It'll take time, if ever.

icon_wink

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 02:51:49 PM »

I humbly direct you to thousands of derisive comments about the Vitality Sensor. Tongue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 03:01:35 PM »

Quote from: Devil on August 09, 2010, 02:03:30 PM

The combination of two deadly factors will prevent it from being accepted in here:

a) New
b) Not Nintendo

Only new tech from Nintendo is instantly snuggled into the warm bosom of GamingTrend.

icon_wink

Eel's right about the vitality sensor.  People were also criticizing both the DS and the Wii before they came out.  Having mucked about with a palm pilot for a while, I didn't see the DS as a viable gaming platform at all.  After I got one, I was a little less critical of the Wii, but still skeptical.  And I think the Vitality Sensor is ridiculous (but as Nintendo has figured out, it was more about presenting it at E3).  I'm all aboard the 3DS train, though.

I was excited about Kinect when it was Natal.  The E3 showing of 2009 had a lot of promise, but a lot of that was gone by E3 2010.  It's not just one video.  It's a lot of them and impressions and articles and demonstrations.  Nothing has shown that Kinect is what it was supposed to be or that it's even something ready to compete with Wii or Move (Move has had the exact opposite reaction from me 2009:meh  2010:Hey!).

Someone mentioned Magic Carpet.  The lack of a viable controller seems to make that one hard.  I suppose you could scoot forward, like in Sonic Riders, but that doesn't feel right.  Maybe leaning forward and back could work, but my hunch is that would be too challenging to make natural.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 03:09:39 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 09, 2010, 03:01:35 PM

I was excited about Kinect when it was Natal.  The E3 showing of 2009 had a lot of promise, but a lot of that was gone by E3 2010.  It's not just one video.  It's a lot of them and impressions and articles and demonstrations.  Nothing has shown that Kinect is what it was supposed to be or that it's even something ready to compete with Wii or Move (Move has had the exact opposite reaction from me 2009:meh  2010:Hey!).

So was I (and I was actually at the Microsoft Conference last year as well). Natal looked freakin' awesome and it had a ton of possibilities. Now...I see it as shovelware Wii crap central.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 03:12:55 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on August 09, 2010, 02:51:49 PM

I humbly direct you to thousands of derisive comments about the Vitality Sensor. Tongue

Not ALL new Nintendo stuff gets the instant love, just gives it a much better chance!  icon_biggrin

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 05:47:35 PM »

This.  It looked fun to me, and like I've stated in previous threads about Kinect, my daughter is going to have a blast with it.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 07:23:45 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 09, 2010, 03:09:39 PM

So was I (and I was actually at the Microsoft Conference last year as well). Natal looked freakin' awesome and it had a ton of possibilities. Now...I see it as shovelware Wii crap central.

yup.  they had a year to get good looking and great games working with it and instead they give us year one wii games.  they should have just shut the hell up last year and announced it now.  if this were the lightgun revival, we would have seen the prototype being used in a CoD MW2, then fast forward and we get duck hunt and carnival games.  they wasted the potential of a whole year.  it's their version of "$599!"

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 07:27:45 PM »

Actually, I take it all back.

From this point on, we should be judging all systems and technology based upon watching a fat guy play 5 minutes of a pre-release Sonic game!

I can't wait to use this new measurement system for the Xbox 720, PS4 and Wii-i-XL!

icon_biggrin

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 08:18:34 PM »

Quote from: Devil on August 09, 2010, 07:27:45 PM

Actually, I take it all back.

From this point on, we should be judging all systems and technology based upon watching a fat guy play 5 minutes of a pre-release Sonic game!

I can't wait to use this new measurement system for the Xbox 720, PS4 and Wii-i-XL!

icon_biggrin

Worked well for Ride, Wii Bowling, etc.   It just never gets old.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 08:21:09 PM »

no,the reason it will fail because all the games will be shitty clones of shitty wii shovelware games.

gee, i can't wait to swat fake balls with my hands  Roll Eyes
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 12:30:15 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on August 09, 2010, 08:21:09 PM

gee, i can't wait to swat fake balls with my hands  Roll Eyes

As opposed to cradling real ones? Tongue Sorry, absolutely couldn't resist. You set me up the bomb.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010, 03:21:30 AM »

Quote from: Devil on August 09, 2010, 02:03:30 PM

a) New
b) Not Nintendo

icon_wink

Eel's right about the vitality sensor.  People were also criticizing both the DS and the Wii before they came out.  Having mucked about with a palm pilot for a while, I didn't see the DS as a viable gaming platform at all.  After I got one, I was a little less critical of the Wii, but still skeptical.  And I think the Vitality Sensor is ridiculous (but as Nintendo has figured out, it was more about presenting it at E3).  I'm all aboard the 3DS train, though.

Someone mentioned Magic Carpet.  The lack of a viable controller seems to make that one hard.  I suppose you could scoot forward, like in Sonic Riders, but that doesn't feel right.  Maybe leaning forward and back could work, but my hunch is that would be too challenging to make natural.

Everyone seems to forget that this isn't controller-less in all circumstances.

The videos you're seeing are targetting folks who somehow don't already have a Wii gathering dust. They've already stated that the Kinect will not be "controllerless" for all titles.

With Black & White (2) they could leverage their ownership of Lionhead and get a fixed version of the game in front of ALL of those console gamers. Problem is, someone in marketing is trying to get this thing into the elderly's hands.

They'd be better off bundling it with viagra. (imagine THAT commercial). slywink

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2010, 03:37:47 AM »

The negativity is because it looks like utter shit on a plate.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2010, 04:52:10 AM »

I think the Kinect will fail simply because I haven't heard of a single Kinect game that will appeal to the 360s core gamer. Sure, the stuff I've seen would appeal to kids and such, but what about the rest of us? Sony presented games like Heavy Rain and Resident Evil 5 for the Move. What does Microsoft have?

It'll never succeed without the games. Anything else is just wishful thinking.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 10, 2010, 03:21:30 AM

Everyone seems to forget that this isn't controller-less in all circumstances.

The videos you're seeing are targetting folks who somehow don't already have a Wii gathering dust. They've already stated that the Kinect will not be "controllerless" for all titles.

The problem is we haven't seen any videos or any game information that say otherwise.

Additionally, I don't think MS has said anything about the controller, IIRC.  Developers have said that it could be used with a controller.  Some have even said that it probably will be, but there has been nothing from MS on the matter that I remember seeing (though feel free to post something).  Even if they have mentioned it somewhere, it's not being promoted.  Unless they start making huge strides in Kinect advertising for other uses than hopping up and down with one other friend or not-petting a cute cat, I don't see it catching on.  Hell, show me a post E3 2010 video that has someone using Kinect while sitting, and my interest will go up a little.

Even though it's lost so much of its potential from E3 2009, there still seems to be a lot that could be done with it.  They aren't doing it.  It's like they're waiting to see if people will buy it at all before they make the push to have it work with other games in other ways. That's a lot different than the "It's almost like launching a whole new platform" push promise they made last year.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: