http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 05:04:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This Format isn't helpful for Multi-platform games  (Read 3137 times)
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2004, 12:36:45 AM »

I think these forums have to adjust a little to allow for impressions and discussions of games that hit multiple platforms.  AT GG, I'll read a thread about a game title more than I will about the platform.  Is there a way to handle this, while the lava is all sort of new and still cooling?  IS a big ol' romm full of console chattin' so bad?

Just a suggestion.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 12:57:55 AM »

Well, you're kind of in the catch-all General Console Forum right now.  Here is the explaination for the forum:

"Multiplatform, or just gaming in general? It goes right here..."

The others are console specific forums for those that want to talk more deeply about each console maker/exclusive games and also allows other people to totally look over the systems they don't want to read about.

I would expect some exclusive games to be seen here in General Forum, it's really up to the poster whether they want it out in General or a console specific forum

I would also expect this General Forum to be the most popular of them all honestly.  We're open to suggestions though.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 02:43:37 AM »

I suggested over at our old house that maybe we could break it up by genre?

Just a thought - Might be worse!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 03:31:19 AM »

Genre would be interesting, but then you have cross-genre games.  Like first-person sneakers?  Where do they go?

I like having the multiplayer specific room, but maybe the categories could be broader than specific consoles?  Like cross-platform News, NExt Gen consoles, Sports rooms, maybe a room for tourneys in sports or other games, maybe I could have my own room while I'm making demands. slywink  

I don't know, I'm just tossing out ideas.  I just miss being able to browse one room with all the new releases and impressions regardless of platform.  Don't mean to be a complainer, as I really like the new site.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 04:26:52 AM »

Quote from: "Driver"
I like having the multiplayer specific room, but maybe the categories could be broader than specific consoles?  Like cross-platform News, NExt Gen consoles, Sports rooms, maybe a room for tourneys in sports or other games, maybe I could have my own room while I'm making demands. slywink

Arguably in order of your wishes.

Cross-platform: General Console Gaming
Next-Gen Consoles: Company Specific Forums (there's a reason they say Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft instead of their current systems)
Sports Room: There is none, we'd have to talk about it...I would be interested as I'm sure many users are
Tourney Room: Multiplayer Forum (although if Sports Forum comes to be the Sports Tourneys would probably go there)

Quote from: "Driver"
I don't know, I'm just tossing out ideas.  I just miss being able to browse one room with all the new releases and impressions regardless of platform.  Don't mean to be a complainer, as I really like the new site.

Well, we didn't want a "catch-all" forum with just one forum.  As it stands now there may be room for improvement, but I think there's a lot of options for people to discuss things without relying only on one forum.  Who knows, maybe General will just see 99.9% of the posts and we'll have to re-evaluate or something biggrin

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 04:29:04 AM »

I'm not abject to shuffling to best fit the needs of the community.  This was the prototype, and I'll be the first to say that my value-judgement of the forum layout might not be the best.  I'm open to ideas...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 12:02:01 PM »

I guess it works pretty well the way it is.  Although I like devils idea about having separate forums by genre, I can see where it could be a problem  on cross-genre games.   Maybe just leave things for a couple months and see how things work out.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 12:24:18 PM »

I love the idea of a Sports / Tournament Room !

In and of itself, it doesn't need to be broken down any further than that.

I mean, how hard is it to type "xbox" in the topic:

NFL 2005 Football Tourney (Xbox)

And since we have colors now (thank you very much), it is even easier.

My guess is that this particular Room would see lots of action in spurts, as new sports games come out that is.

Great Idea guys !

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 12:27:50 PM »

If you do add genre forums as well then I'll second the one for sports related titles.  I think I'm one of the few that has zero interest in them and would love for them to be filtered out from my browsing  :lol:

I wouldn't mind seeing an "other" section though.  Something to cover hardware and systems like the neo-geo, phantom (lol, I know), Nokia handheld, etc instead of lumping it all in the general section.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 12:53:11 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
I love the idea of a Sports / Tournament Room !

In and of itself, it doesn't need to be broken down any further than that.

I mean, how hard is it to type "xbox" in the topic:

NFL 2005 Football Tourney (Xbox)

Yeah, totally!  I think the genre or title is more important than the system.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 11:21:00 PM »

The only problem with adding genre specific forums is that it becomes a pain in the butt for us folks interested in all game types who don't want to surf thru everything to see what's going on...

That said, I'd love to see a forum dedicated to setting up Xbox/PS2 online "battles" smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: