http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 09:05:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This better not be true.. [PSP2]  (Read 1233 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2006, 06:10:52 PM »

Sony is expected to employ high-density NAND flash in its upcoming PlayStation Portable 2 (PSP2) and Personal Media Player (PMP) products in the second half of 2006.

http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20060718PR200.html

And..

while an all-in-one PSP2 would have the virtue of being an extensive gaming unit, with a Web browser to boot. If the PSP2 were perceived sometime in 2007 as the #2 portable media player, supporters could use its gaming library as a fallback position.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/17/dram_nand_prices_to_stabilize_says_isuppli/

Considering I just got my PSP this year (hell how long has it been out total?) if this turns out to be true I'll probably wind up trading in my PSP and getting an extra 2 x360 games instead.
Although I still have hope because if the PSP2 was planned we'd be seeing this pop up all over the web instead of sites we never heard of before. And come on, the second website saying it'll have a 'Web browser to boot' maybe they haven't used the PSP because it already has an official web browser on it!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 06:34:53 PM »

How does releasing a PSP2 invalidate your purchase of a PSP1?
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 06:43:19 PM »

Because..

#1 - It's way too soon. They haven't even give the PSP enough time to gather a large enough consumer base to bringing out a new PSP already.

#2 - What happened to Sony's "Our consoles are designed with 10 years in mind" philosphy? They sure are backing that up if they release a PSP2 just barely after a year after the first one came out.

#3 - Even if the PSP2 is 100% backwards compatible, in your mind you will always know you have the crappy version of the console when everyone else has the "real" version of it.

This is just all speculation of course though, there's a million questions.. if the PSP2 does indeed come out, does that mean "PSP2" games, or is it still playing regular PSP games? If it's PSP2 games, hell yeah, that definitely invalidates your purchase because as history has shown, developers move on to support and develop for the latest offerings, not yesterday's dog that just got replaced.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 06:51:04 PM »

look at the DS...i bought that when it was first released(which i am sure still isnt that long ago..maybe a year)...and now they bring out a 'lite' version.........rumours of a new 360 with lots of new features(one is said to be a 100gig hard drive).....it happens

same with all the DVDs i buy,and then 3-6 months later they bring out a 'special edition' with lots of special features

all they want is our money!! :twisted:  :x

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 06:52:50 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Because..

#1 - It's way too soon. They haven't even give the PSP enough time to gather a large enough consumer base to bringing out a new PSP already.

DS Lite was released in the same timeframe as a PSP2 (if a PSP2 is indeed coming out). DS and iPod owners don't throw out their old systems once a redesign comes out. It's just how portable electronics work.  

#2 - What happened to Sony's "Our consoles are designed with 10 years in mind" philosphy? They sure are backing that up if they release a PSP2 just barely after a year after the first one came out.

I would assume it would be a redesign, not a new console. The PSX and PS2 were redesigned. Don't see why the PSP would be any different. According to that article, the only new feature being added is 8 GB of built-in storage. You can buy a memory card up to 4GB, with 8GB cards on the way.

#3 - Even if the PSP2 is 100% backwards compatible, in your mind you will always know you have the crappy version of the console when everyone else has the "real" version of it.

I still enjoy my DS despite the fact that the DS Lite is out.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 07:48:50 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Because..

DS Lite was released in the same timeframe as a PSP2 (if a PSP2 is indeed coming out). DS and iPod owners don't throw out their old systems once a redesign comes out. It's just how portable electronics work.  

The DS Lite isn't a sequel to the original DS, just a revamp. The PSP 2 would most likely be more advanced and I doubt you'd be able to play PSP 2 games on the OG PSP.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 07:53:50 PM »

Quote from: "Suitably Ironic Moniker"
Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Because..

The DS Lite isn't a sequel to the original DS, just a revamp. The PSP 2 would most likely be more advanced and I doubt you'd be able to play PSP 2 games on the OG PSP.

I doubt they would release a completely new handheld  given that the PSP is less than two years old. If there is a PSP2 on the way, it's a redesign, not a new system.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 08:26:51 PM »

Sony is expected to employ high-density NAND flash in its upcoming PlayStation Portable 2 (PSP2) and Personal Media Player (PMP) products in the second half of 2006.

Every time I see PMP my brain just tosses the I in there for PIMP.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 08:27:05 PM »

second half of 2006

It is the second half of 2006.  No way this "PSP2" goes from something no one's ever heard of to something you can buy in the store in the space of less than a few months.  Don't worry about it.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 12:07:55 AM »

DS Lite was released in the same timeframe as a PSP2 (if a PSP2 is indeed coming out).

Except the DS didn't cost $250, and the DS Lite plays the exact same games as the DS, adding nothing really new that you can do on your DS Lite that you can't do on the 'old' DS.
My local gamestop had been bragging about the DS Lite coming with a web browser built-in for months prior to release, yet, that never happened.

Whether the PSP2 is just a redesign, a new handheld all together, or nothing more than a rumour, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.. but the rumour of a new model or handheld coming out doesn't help Sony's cause to sell more PSP's because why get one now, when you can just wait a little bit and get the 'new and improved' version? I'm sure that happened with the DS as well.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 12:53:49 AM »

Why make a PSP2 when the PSP1 is dead?

A good writeup, BTW, even if it is mostly negative. It does show why the PSP died like it did though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 03:14:00 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

A good writeup, BTW, even if it is mostly negative. It does show why the PSP died like it did though.

Whoa, wait a minute, people are already call the PSP dead? It hasn't even had a chance to start walking yet! Daymn some people are ruthless.

Oh wait, that's right I forgot, DS Doubled up the PSP last month in hardware sales.. Oops, my bad... :wink:

Seriously though, isn't it a little early to call it?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 03:44:35 AM »

I didn't buy a PSP1, which is kinda why I'm interested in a PSP2.

The PSP2 isn't entirely a bad idea, so long as they keep its functions realistic.

But first of all, they need to put on two analog sticks.  That little slide nib thing with the velcro feel just doesn't cut it and for the kind of games

Second they need to allow games to be played from the memory stick, or perhaps through some propietary format that's small like the DS has.  On these smaller cartridges smaller developers can put little games, like those the DS has thus creating a market of smaller, quick loading, instant fun games.

Just like the DS has.

Then, once you have that install base, companies will consider putting out bigger games for the system.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 03:53:50 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"

Whoa, wait a minute, people are already call the PSP dead? It hasn't even had a chance to start walking yet! Daymn some people are ruthless.

Oh wait, that's right I forgot, DS Doubled up the PSP last month in hardware sales.. Oops, my bad... :wink:

Seriously though, isn't it a little early to call it?

How long did the Dreamcast last in the gaming market? The Virtua Boy? Saturn? Could the PSP really compare to any of those?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 04:49:52 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
How long did the Dreamcast last in the gaming market? The Virtua Boy? Saturn? Could the PSP really compare to any of those?

As in how long it lasted on US shores before being considered 'dead'? It's not even a year (came out in November, right?) and it's pretty much out.

Then again, the Virtua Boy didn't last all of 6 months.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 04:54:07 AM »

Awesome, I hope it's true, this means a big price drop for the PSP, then I'll get one, then when PSP3 comes, I'll get a PSP2

Oh wait they are going all Nintendo on us now.

Gameboy, Gameboy color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP, Gameboy Advance Micro, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo DT(the triple screen)... oh wait I just made up that last one.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 02:58:42 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"

As in how long it lasted on US shores before being considered 'dead'? It's not even a year (came out in November, right?) and it's pretty much out.

The PSP was released in March of 2005 (US), December 2004 in Japan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: