http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 08:32:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of restarting Fallout 3 (mods?)  (Read 1729 times)
Ragnarok
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:21:31 AM »

Having recently watched The Book of Eli and The Road, I feel like I'm ready to jump into some post apocalyptic adventuring again.

I don't really want to play vanilla F3 again though.  I'm looking for good mods that make it harder to survive, more realistic (I guess) and just plain more interesting.  

The original take was pretty good, but ammo was everywhere, weapons were easy to come by, and it just wasn't quite gritty enough.

I have the original game plus the first two expansions (no M-Ship Zeta Jones tho').

If anyone is even playing this anymore, I'd love to hear some good mod suggestions.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:53:09 AM by Ragnarok » Logged
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:32:39 AM »

Thining?  Is Fallout 3 fat?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:54:58 AM »

Grown fat with great mods amirite?

paranoid

tear
CTD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:59:38 AM »

I had Fallout 3 at release, and played about approx. 1/4 of the game.  I got bored, other games came out, and shelved it.

After playing some recently well-modified games (Stalker SoC Complete, for one), I ran into the FOOK website for FO3, and decided to check it out.   Very glad I did, as the mods I settled on made FO3 much more enjoyable my second time through.  I'm at about 50 hours, and going strong.  Here's what I did.

I FOOK'd the game, using version FOOK2 1.0.  I believe a FOOK2 1.1 was recently released in the last few days, but am doing great with what I have loaded.  I believe the new version of FOOK2 incorporates mods I already have loaded and that are apparently working through a large part of the game (Fellout, Street Lights, etc.) - however, I'm sticking with what has been working for me the last 50+ hours and calling it good.

MOD's (and tools) that I have up and running successfully through 21 levels, w/all official add-on's (and in order of importance to me):

FOMM ->  The Fallout Mod Manager, very handy utility that allows optimization of module loading.
Fallout 3 Script Extender - "FOSE"-> Helps with scripting of the mods, and helped clear up a few issues I had originally had with the other mods before using.  
Large Address Aware Enabler for FO3 -> Link can do a much better job explaining the benefits than me, but worth checking out.   
CASM -> This is a mod that allows for automated, configurable saved-game functionality that has come in really handy.  Accessible via the Pipboy, this has been a real game-saver for me, as I have had issues with corrupted save files in the past.  Haven't had a problem with saves since CASM.  Worth checking out.
FOOK2 ->  A mod that changes quite a bit, too much to list, but there's not a FOOK2 change made that I have had a problem with.  Combat is more challenging, new weapons fun and balanced, and other changes that made the game more enjoyable than my first time through.  I went with FOOK2 1.0, as that was the version available when I started modding, though worth mentioning that a newer version has just been released.  This is the Obscuro's Oblivion of Fallout3.
Mart's Mutant Mod -> Great mod that has tons of features you can turn on and off, specific to adding new monsters, controlling the # of spawns of certain types (Ghoul-Fest!), etc.  Very well done.
The Beauty Project HD -> The directions were somewhat daunting, but once I dove into the PDF that came with the mod, I had it up and running in no time.  TBP provides an awesome overhaul of graphic models for all the characters.  Check out the link for examples, but very very detailed and cool looking.  
 More Where That Came From ->  For flavor, added a mod that provides 100 new songs that fall in line with the limited music found in vanilla.  If you only want to use one mod/non-game impacting mod, this is the one to get.  Great music selection.
Fellout ->  Fellout is a massive texture and weather changer.  I have personally enjoyed the massive changes to the game world it has provided, but it obviously a matter of taste.  The link has some images that capture the before/after.  I can't imagine going back to the 10 shades of green, but each his own.  One thing to note that the nights are a lot darker with Fellout - so make sure you have a good Nightvision mod to aid your midnight Wasteland strolls.
Street Lights ->  Cool streetlights mod that works well with Fellouts darker nights.  There's also a 2nd mod out there, linked on the streetlight download site, for Wasteland Lightening.  I have 'em both loaded, and think it works well with Fellout.
Realistic Night Sky ->  I like slinking around the Waste at night, and this change provides an almost photo-realistic night sky, bright with stars and constellations.  
Modified Night Vision Mod ->  There's a lot of 'em out there, but I settled on this one.  It's a bit spendy - $4k at Moira to get up and running, but I really like the way the modder did the lightening (the bright version).

Sorry this was so long, but have really enjoyed the game once modded.  Hope some of this helps.

(BTW, just finished up most of Point Lookout addon - was a lot of fun!  Great job with the added content)

My loadout order, with no issues to date->
Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
CALIBR.esm
Project Beauty HD version.esm
FOOK2 - Main.esm
FOOK2 - [WANK] World And Neighbourhood Kit.esm
FOOK2 - [DIK] DLC Improvement Kit.esm
Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
StreetLights.esm
GalaxyNewsRadio100[M].esp
FOOK2 - Main.esp
FOOK2 - [DIK] DLC Improvement Kit.esp
FOOK2 - [EVE] Energy Visuals Enhanced.esp
PB FOOK2 - Main.esp
PB FOOK2 [DIK].esp
FOOK2 - Mothership Zeta.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FOOK2.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FOOK2 - DIK.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Increased Spawns.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Feral Ghoul Rampage.esp
PB MMM HD.esp
Project Beauty- Point Lookout MMM.esp
Fellout-Full.esp
Fellout-BrokenSteel.esp
Fellout-PointLookout.esp
Fellout-Zeta.esp
StreetLights - Wasteland.esp
Fellout-pipboylight.esp
HZ_PNV_BRIGHT_ENG.esp
CASM.esp

Total active plugins: 40
Total plugins: 70
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:26:31 AM by CTD » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:38:16 AM »

can't find it but someone posted about a sex mod awhile back  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 12:46:06 PM »

Damn, I'm working on finally playing this on the 360, and now those PC mods are making me jealous.  frown

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 02:36:52 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 06, 2010, 12:46:06 PM

Damn, I'm working on finally playing this on the 360, and now those PC mods are making me jealous.  frown

well the game is technically a big old Oblivion mod so you at least have some modding on the 360  icon_wink

Because I can,
CTD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 03:50:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 06, 2010, 05:38:16 AM

Well, there is the animated prostitution mod, though I just heard about it through a friend of a friend..... paranoid

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8570

http://planetfallout.gamespy.com/mods/377/Animated-Prostitution
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 03:53:29 PM »

Quote from: CTD on April 06, 2010, 03:50:09 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 06, 2010, 05:38:16 AM

Well, there is the animated prostitution mod, though I just heard about it through a friend of a friend..... paranoid

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8570

http://planetfallout.gamespy.com/mods/377/Animated-Prostitution

yep, that's it.

Positions/Styles as a worker:
Females on males: Multiple positions/styles.
Females on females: Multiple position/styles.
Males on females: Multiple positions/styles.
Males on males: Multiple positions/styles.

Because I can,
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 01:52:01 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I'll sounds like there is enough to make it a whole new experience... ninja
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 08:28:52 PM »

That GNR-More where that came from mod is great.   The songs fit in pretty seamlessly and cut down on the repitition that creeps in after you've been listening to the station for a while.  There were some old civil defense ads in the mix as well.

Other than that, the only mods I ran were a mod that turned Dogmeat into a German Shepherd, and  Jessi Companion which gave you a female sidekick.   She was a little overpowered in the early game though since she could repair weapons and had lots of guns an ammo with her IIRK.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: