http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 12:52:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of getting Halflife 2, but...  (Read 4064 times)
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2005, 03:36:58 AM »

Okay, so I am thinking about getting it, even though I thought I would protest the whole damned Steam thing by not buying it.  

Apparently everyone else is buying it, so my protest is useless. So why not just give in and join the masses?

Well, now I am wondering if there is a reason to go down to the store and buy a box version, or if it is maybe cheaper to just download the damn thing.  Does Valve charge less for downloading it?

I have a cable modem, so the time it takes to download it shouldn't be a problem.  Especially now that it has been out for a month.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 05:08:59 AM »

actually, you could probably get it cheaper at this point by finding the boxed version on sale somewhere.  downloading it from Steam is convenient and the larger packages are a good deal if you're interested in the other games, but they have yet to drop the price on a barebones copy of HL2.  the Bronze package via Steam is essentially the same as what you get in the box...it goes for $49.99 through Steam, but some other stores now have it for less.  the HL2 Silver package is still a good deal though...if you're interested in Day of Defeat Source of HL1:Source...

if you decide to pick up a boxed copy, you can take some comfort in knowing that one of the patches has already removed the CD-check so you don't need a disc in the drive anymore Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 08:18:04 AM »

Didn't buy it because of steam...but then got it as a gift for X-mas.

found a crack tho, so no Steam for me (even though I own a legal copy).

Onnel
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 01:21:33 PM »

Even on a cable modem it's going to take a good long while to download. I believe the download is over 4GB.

Disarm is right you can probably find it cheaper in store, plus you get the box and cd's so if you have to reinstall windows or get another computer you don't have to waste all that time downloading 4+GB of files again, just the updates.

I got my Half-Life 2 for $39.99 at Circuit City. Check sunday's ads. (You can also visit the sites directly, bestbuy.com compusa.com and circuitcity.com and look up store ads.)

If there were more people and we were organized, I woudn't have bought Half-Life 2 either because of Steam. I didn't buy it at first thinking that if enough of us stuck together and didn't buy it, we'd be sending a message to Valve, but unfortunately it seems everyone (even people without internet!) went out and bought Half-Life 2 anyway. On the official forums there's really nothing but complaints against Steam. Yet, everyone bought the game..
So if you can't beat them, join them, right?

On a final note, even as much as I dislike Steam, Half-Life 2 is a VERY good game. I just barely scratched the surfance of the singleplayer game and am enjoying every moment of it.  :wink:

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 02:16:23 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
If there were more people and we were organized, I woudn't have bought Half-Life 2 either because of Steam. I didn't buy it at first thinking that if enough of us stuck together and didn't buy it, we'd be sending a message to Valve...

Not to get into a big love Steam/hate Steam festival but I bought HL2 through Steam partly to send a message to Valve that I like Steam.  To each his own but Steam has not been a problem to me either before I got HL2 (used it for about 4 months) or after I got HL2.

Plus I wanted HL1 Source.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 03:26:51 PM »

its cheaper to buy boxed. I just got mine this week from gogamer for $39...its the big box import version and its cool...they had a special this week also for $32 but I missed that.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
TradeAble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 04:40:50 PM »

I still haven't bought it because of my protest with steam.  I'll probably end up borrowing it from a friend but there is no way they will see a dollar out of my pocket because of steam.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 06:08:55 PM »

Rage, rage against the machine, good sir!
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 01:17:11 AM »

Take a good guess at my stance.

However, word of a no-steam crack intrigues me.  I would buy this in a heart beat if it were simple enough to locate.  I think I'll look into this.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 03:00:25 AM »

I got HL 2 as a gift, so you can chalk this into the "it's easy for you to say" category, but I think to get the full value of HL2 you NEED Steam.

Reason being multiplayer.  Frankly, HL2DM and CS:S are getting about 95% of my HL2 gaming time. Singleplayer is alright, don't get me wrong, but there are so many maps being made by the community now that singleplayer can be boring in comparison.  There's plenty of servers running different maps too, so that even deathmatch hasn't gotten old.

Here's an example of singleplayer flaws:    There is this one area in HL2 where you drive the airboat past some guy who is shooting at you.  Well, as a test I drove the airboat in constant circles RIGHT IN FRONT of him.  He shot at me alot but never once hit me!   This is on normal difficulty btw.  It doesn't compare to trying to outwit real people.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 05:55:34 AM »

I see your point gameoverman, but I have NEVER played MP in any game, and I resent the attempt to 'force' me to do so.  I like single player.  To try and strong-arm people into MP is bullshit, imo.    That's the reason I mainly detest Steam: MP should be my choice, not the forced shotgun-wedding of the publisher (which I feel Steam is).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm posting this after seven? martinis (I think).

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 06:33:57 AM »

I agree with you Big Jake. If you feel that strongly, I'd highly recommend that you don't buy Half-Life 2. If you do, you are supporting Steam. (I too am supporting Steam even though I dislike it.)
The are a few good singleplayer maps out there as well, two in particular - antlion_troopers and the bunker. Both have the starship troopers setting. On antlion troopers you are stationed at a tiny base in the middle of the desert with your squad (just like starship troopers) and in 1 minute, the alien bugs begin their invasion. You and your squad have to defend the base, and trust me it's TOUGH! In fact I can't beat it. The alien bugs super-jump over the walls and land all over us. While I'm fighting off the bugs on one side of the wall, they're jumping in from every other side. I turn around and see my comrades falling to the bug attacks. It's not long before the bugs over run our base and I myself am on the run.

I just have to say.. maps like antlion_troopers and the_bunker are one of the reasons why I bought Half-Life 2. (I had my eye on antlion_troopers well before buying Half-Life 2. I was holding back because of Steam, but when it went on sale for $39.99 at Circuit City, I coudn't resist anymore.)

What I'm trying to get at though is that there are plenty of other singleplayer games out there that could use your support more than Steam can.
Have you tried Star Trek Elite Force 1 and Elite Force 2? Elite Force 1 was the first game I ever played through the entire singleplayer campaign in. Naturally Elite Force 2 was a must by.
There's also Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. Maybe even Breed. Or the Call of Duty series. Vietcong. Warhammer 40,000 Firewarrior. Operation Flashpoint.
In all the above games you are part of a team, not the typical "you against the world" type of scenario (Not to mention you don't need an internet connection just to play it.)So far in Half-Life 2 (I'm still towards the beginning) I have been by myself all the time. No allies like in the other games.

If you check the official steam forums you'll see that a large number of the posts there are directed at their hate towards Steam. Yet everyone bought it anyway.
If you do buy Half-Life 2, I'd suggest you just get steam so you can get the full benefit of the game. After you get registered on steam, convert your half-life 2 to steam, get all the updates, then you can be offline and play only singleplayer. Still it doesn't change the fact that an internet connection is required for Half-Life 2.

Anyway good luck and I hope you check out some of the other singleplayer games out there.. the developers could really use your support much more than Valve/Steam do!

Btw, have you tried Doom 3?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 08:59:51 AM »

You'd think that after it took me two weeks of trying and a reformat of my hard drive to get it to work that I would not be a fan of Half-Life 2.  But I am, and that should tell you all you need to know.

Steam (or something like it) are the future of PC gaming so you might as well get on the bus now.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 09:20:51 AM »

But I don't want to get on the bus!

I don't like where the bus is going.  I like having something physical to hold on to and think back on years after my hardware is too good for it to run on.

We're heading to a place where games are just disposable entertainment.  But they cost just as much as if I actually had something in my possesion for the money I paid out.

I would be mostly okay with it if they charged substantially less for the game. I mean, they don't have to pay people to stuff disks into paper envelopes and then into boxes, they don't have to pay people to write out manuals and print them and stuff them in boxes, they don't have to pay people to put boxes of boxes on trucks and deliver them anywhere, so why the heck does the online downloaded version cost more than an actual boxed copy??????

There, that is my main problem with online delivery methods.  And having to be connected to the internet to play it in single player mode is just icing on my steam-hating cake.  

Yes, I know you can play it disconnected, but from reports I have heard, it can take a while for the stupid game to start if it can't find the internet.

Anyway, that's it.  That there is my rant against steam and the future of downloaded games.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 11:06:26 AM »

they don't have to pay people to write out manuals and print them and stuff them in boxes
Except they didn't even give us a manual with the boxed version of Half-Life 2.

I highly doubt that Steam is the way PC games are going. There are so many people against Steam (take a look at the official forums) that I don't think the PC gaming community would put up with another steam from another company.

Since there are so many of us out there, it's likely that if another company pulled a "Steam" on us, that we'd organize into a boycott and not buy the game. That's the only way we can ever get our message across, is to organize and stick together and not buy the product. It didn't work with Half-Life 2. I woudn't be suprised if half the people who bought Half-Life 2 were against steam. (There are plenty of people who don't even have internet access who bought it. That should say something.)

What might happen instead of Steam though is an activation windows-xp type of thing, where you can either connect online and register your key with the server (so that way people cant use key generators or steal your key and try to use it) or you call the 800 number, giving you both chances.
Even that is up in the air though, could you imagine every game having it's own "Steam"? Just not going to happen. At least not in the next 10 years.

And I agree, I like being able to hold on to my boxed games, and bring them back out when I want to play again. I just installed Alpha Centauri and Quake *1* a week or so ago and am playing them again.
Who wants to download GB's of files? And what happens if Valve turns into another Dynamix and goes out of business, or is bought out, or goes bunkrupt.. what then? Steam is a risk and a lot of us see that. If you want "Steam" get a Phantom console. If it even does come out, it's going to go right back out of business because not enough people want a system where you can only download games and have to pay for them.
We can only hope though, that if by the rare chance that Steam does try to lead the way into the future of PC gaming, that we will actually organize next time around and stage an effective boycott.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 02:43:56 PM »

I highly doubt that Steam is the way PC games are going. There are so many people against Steam (take a look at the official forums) that I don't think the PC gaming community would put up with another steam from another company.

Saying this is always misleading for any game. The forums are always full of  people having problems. This goes for HL2 or any other game. It doesn't take that many people to make it look like "everybody" doesn't like it. The people not having a problem with STEAM arn't posting there because well they don't have a problem with it.

Valve's releasing the Official CS Bot on Monday for those who don't like to play online.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 05:26:09 PM »

I would be mostly okay with it if they charged substantially less for the game. I mean, they don't have to pay people to stuff disks into paper envelopes and then into boxes, they don't have to pay people to write out manuals and print them and stuff them in boxes, they don't have to pay people to put boxes of boxes on trucks and deliver them anywhere, so why the heck does the online downloaded version cost more than an actual boxed copy??????

At least two factors:

1) Vivendi publishes the boxed version, Valve publishes the Steam version.  There is almost certainly a stipulation in Valve and VU's contract that Valve cannot undercut the MSRP of the boxed copy with the downloadable version.  Valve was able to get  around this with some of the Steam options- I think HL2 "Silver" and maybe "Gold"was a better value than the HL2's  bpxed Collectors Edition but their hands are tied with the plain vanilla editon.  .  

2) Retailers are going to be pissed if the publisher undercuts them by offering the online version cheaper than the store bought version. VU is not going to risk having the retailers refuse to stock enough copies, refused endcaps and other high visibility in-store marketing techniques by undercutting them.

The second reason is going to be the major hitch in online distribution for all publishers IMO.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 07:22:41 PM »

When I say Steam is the future I'm referring to the idea of downloadable delivery.  That is the future, perhaps even for console games as well.  It just makes too much sense.  Despite all the complaining, do you think Valve is unhappy they went this route?  I doubt it, not with a million plus copies sold via Steam for $50 or more directly going to them.  They probably got less than $20 a copy from the retail versions and that's with much more leverage than most developers have.  I don't think we'll see each company with it's own delivery system like Valve has, but it will be an increasingly used option.  There are already services that can be hired to provide this option and Valve has stated it's desire to be a provider for other developers as well.  As for the concern about not having a hard copy, almost every downloadable game out there (including Half-Life 2) allows you to burn it to a disk.  Given the increasingly common CD/DVD burners, that's no issue for many gamers.

- American Dad
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2005, 10:19:42 AM »

Update:

So, I got the boxed version at a store, and had no problems with the install, except for the serial number registration.  Why on earth did someone think it was a good idea to put numbers after the serial number?  I mean, come on, I can't be the only idiot to keep on entering numbers after the first line, and then get frustrated at the "Invalid Code" continuing after repeated entries.

Eventually, I decided to just try the first line, and bingo, I am in.  But I know for a fact there are dumber people than me, and those people are fairly large in number, and they probably called the tech support lines, which is not something that needed to happen.

Ah well.  I am enjoying the game at least.  Looks wonderful, the physics is a lot of fun to play with (can't tell you how much fun I had throwing stuff out the window onto the assault vehicle parked below the apartments), and I have had no sound stuttering or anything else.  So, I am quite happy with the game.

We'll see if I eventually begin to like having Steam...

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2005, 11:40:53 AM »

lol did the same thing when i got my copy. I dont remember exactly how it was, but I remember entering the code (it was two lines, it looked like it broke off and then started again) really fast, hit enter and was ready to go and got the invalid code thing.
I spent about 5 minutes until I got frustrated and thought about it for a minute. Was about to email valve (to which I probably woudnt get a response anyway) but then I thought.. maybe it's just the first line? Tried it and bingo.
Big applause for the person who thought of adding those numbers right underneath the registraiton code, looks like it's part of the serial. I even tried the "half life 2" at the end or whatever it said.

Sarkus - if what you say is what the future is, that would put stores like EB and Gamestop out of business. I do agree with you that in the future we may see more "steam" types of games, but I mean WAY into the future - 10+ years from now. Probably by the time we are grandpas and are too old to use computers anymore. When our grandkids are buying PC games, it'll be online.
Then again I do see your point after thinking about Blockbuster. There was a lot of talk about companies like Netflix taking over blockbuster because people were too "Lazy" to go to the store and rent the movie they could just do it online.
However taking into account that a HUGE number of computer users are still without internet or on 56k modems, having games like half-life 2 that are 4GB+ in size just isn't reasonable for the time we are in now.
Even on my DSL connection I woudn't want to waste all tha time downloading half-life 2. It shoudn't be your job paying full price for a game and then having to burn it to your own cd's.
I guess that also means the end to manuals, unless you want some cheap pdf manual that you can "print". That is taking the cheap way out, just like the paper sleeves that a lot of games come in now.

While I could easily be wrong, I just don't seem Steam as something becoming popular in the near future. I believe the Phantom console will be proof of this when they go bankrupt right after (if ever) they release their "pay to download games" console. The phantom is a big steammy pile of.. all in one.

Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2005, 01:10:15 PM »

I think the retail stores need the competition from programs like Steam.  I went hunting for Vampire Bloodlines last night and the only copy at either of the game stores was an opened, beaten-up copy, being sold as new, that cost $10 more than the  game cost from the same company (EB) online.  I ordered it from Amazon, but if a Steam-like version had been available, I might have done that too.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2005, 03:25:27 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
You'd think that after it took me two weeks of trying and a reformat of my hard drive to get it to work that I would not be a fan of Half-Life 2.  But I am, and that should tell you all you need to know.

Steam (or something like it) are the future of PC gaming so you might as well get on the bus now.

Exactly.

Besides, the Steam-whining (not targetted at any one person here; more at the net in general) is a dull roar beside the cheating, hacking and willful destruction of balanced online play that HL1 Multiplay (TFC, Action-halflife, Counterstrike, etc) had. I for one am glad that people playing online have some accountability to their actions.

I'm sure people whined about vehicle registration when it was first put in place. "What do you mean, I need a LICENCE to drive my own property??"

<shrug>

Chances are you're playing your PC games on a licenced operating system that required validation & registration. You *ARE* using a legal copy, right?  :wink:  FTR, I own my Windows XP Pro, so you can hold back your "Pot, this is kettle. Just a reminder, you're still black" comments. biggrin

The road to hell is paved with the best of intentions, and it's a downward path. After all this time, do you really want to turn around and start trudging all that way back up?  :twisted:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2005, 03:38:02 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

At least two factors:

1) a stipulation in Valve and VU's contract that Valve cannot undercut the MSRP of the boxed copy with the downloadable version.  

2) Retailers are pissed if publisher undercuts them by offering the online version cheaper than the store bought version.

The second reason is going to be the major hitch in online distribution for all publishers IMO.

Bandwidth costs too, so the shipping and packaging and pressing costs is offset by having to maintain fatpipe costs to support hundreds of thousands of people downloading 4GB each.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2005, 04:37:35 PM »

OK, You guys all seem to miss one of the important anti-steam arguments that 'conspiracy nuts' like myself have.  I'm all for downloadable content delivery from the developer.  IF that's all steam was about (and On-line play), I wouldn't care about Steam.  However, I DON'T like having to install their personal ptp client software on my PC, doing god knows what, just so I can play a single player game (Which is all I wanted to do).

Purge, software licensing isn't the same as a driving license.  Your poor motor skills is a physical danger to other people.  Your poor PC skills, or even pirating of on-line material, is not.  Ask yourself: would you rather have some POS steal your credit cards online and go shopping with them, or run over by some idiot driving a two ton Suburban going 75?  In the rain.  Because, since it's a 4X4, that means it doesn't lose traction.  (I know PLENTY of idiots who believe this.)

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2005, 05:36:26 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
OK, You guys all seem to miss one of the important anti-steam arguments that 'conspiracy nuts' like myself have.  I'm all for downloadable content delivery from the developer.  IF that's all steam was about (and On-line play), I wouldn't care about Steam.  However, I DON'T like having to install their personal ptp client software on my PC, doing god knows what, just so I can play a single player game (Which is all I wanted to do).

where do people come up with all the misconceptions that Steam is secretly performing other tasks in the background?  you install HL2 and Steam, authorize your copy, and download the latest updates...after that, Steam sits quietly in the background and does nothing until it validates your game again or grabs another update.  it isn't a piece of P2P software that is acting behind your back...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2005, 06:04:31 PM »

because people like to complain, just to complain.  Steam has worked almost flawlessly, except the first night, which was known to happen given the demand
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2005, 07:13:47 PM »

I agree with Ken. Steam has been the most over-maligned unfairly denigrated computer releases in recent memory. Listen, it installed 3gigs of HL2 on my computer before it was released suprisingly quickly. Yes, validation took like a half hour and that wasnt fun. Yes, some people had issues while they got the steam servers up to par for the load, but since then it has been flawless, we have seen countless updates, Steam has done NOTHING to my computer that is negative, it has not killed my family, stolen my food, or kicked me in the balls.

It is a cool, innovative file delivery system that likely improves anti-piracy measures, and one can only hope is the future of game delivery to consumers.

Buy HL2, other than the...2-3 levels with those insanely fucking annoying antlion stupid ass creatures, its one of the best shooters of all time.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2005, 09:47:45 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Iuy HL2, other than the...2-3 levels with those insanely fucking annoying antlion stupid ass creatures, its one of the best shooters of all time.

i thought the antlions were some of the coolest parts in the whole game...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2005, 09:53:56 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"
Quote from: "Rage"
Iuy HL2, other than the...2-3 levels with those insanely fucking annoying antlion stupid ass creatures, its one of the best shooters of all time.

i thought the antlions were some of the coolest parts in the whole game...

I thought that antlions were awesome too.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2005, 10:12:41 PM »

You two have no taste smile
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2005, 10:13:25 PM »

P2P Client?  Huh?

Did I miss something?  The only time you will EVER upload any type of file with steam is if you are hosting a game server, running a custom map, and tell it to upload that map to clients without that map.  

Steam is not a p2p system, it is a server client system.  Now, if you want to bitch about forced p2p go look at the Blizzard Downloader that comes with WoW.  That is forced p2p (you can turn it off, but you also turn off all downloads from non blizzard servers so it goes really slow).

Really all steam does is check your account when you play it and download new patches for you.  I have no problem with that, in fact I like it a lot more then hunting for patches all over the net, or waiting in line for an hour at fileplanet every time a new patch comes out.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2005, 10:28:07 PM »

I have said before I am done arguing about Steam.  I will not derail this thread with more talk about it.  I was only pointing out that not all concerns (However irrational) were not addressed.  Any of you have issues you want my opinion on, PM or email me.  (I am doing this as an effort not to become an annoyance to everyone on this board.)

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2005, 07:43:01 PM »

Purge, software licensing isn't the same as a driving license.  Your poor motor skills is a physical danger to other people.  Your poor PC skills, or even pirating of on-line material, is not.  Ask yourself: would you rather have some POS steal your credit cards online and go shopping with them, or run over by some idiot driving a two ton Suburban going 75?  In the rain.  Because, since it's a 4X4, that means it doesn't lose traction.  (I know PLENTY of idiots who believe this.)

I disagree; I feel the comparison holds for the context of my point. The licensing structure requires authentication and validation to operate within the respective environments.

The stark constrast you paint demonstrates the risks of the environment you're in. Have you ever watched enemy of the state? Although drastic and right up that "conspiracy theory" nuttiness you've put forth slywink, losing your identity, data (given a writer with a book, a programmer with a new IP, etc) can ruin a life as bad as a being in a wheelchair. At least with vehicles you're in a vehicle with safety measures. Not perfect, not even close, but at least you see the threat.

Either way, it's an environment risk that you've pointed out, and as such the comparisons aren't identical. Vehicle licensing compares to Vehicle licensing a whole lot better than to Software licensing.

And to your anonymity online? I found (while teaching a youth classes at the local YMCA a decade ago) that when people are identified the "You don't know who I am, so I can be an asshole to people" mentality is strongly reduced.

Our arguement on the subject isn't going to change the structure of Steam; their goose has laid a golden egg and there isn't a damned thing anyone can do about it. For better or worse, the precedent is set; and it shows that the consumer is willing to play by their rules. <shrug> Vote with your remote.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2005, 07:50:57 PM »

I am doing this as an effort not to become an annoyance to everyone on this board.

I'm not annoyed in the least. Open conversation breeds thought which flexes cerebral tissue. I'm up for a workout. biggrin People tend to jump up and down when their beliefs are questioned, however if we adopt them as ideas, we tend to allow a bit of change in.

I hope you continue to post here, as long as its not "STFU, mister poopiehead."
THAT line is MINE.

Dinkytoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2005, 12:37:30 AM »

Just to add one more issue I'm concerned about, it seems to me if a product has no resale value, then it need to cost less up front.

As near as I understand it, HL2 has no resale value at all.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2005, 02:03:18 AM »

Quote from: "Dinkytoy"
Just to add one more issue I'm concerned about, it seems to me if a product has no resale value, then it need to cost less up front.

The problem is that developers and publishers don't care about resale value.  They don't make a single penny off of games (or dvd's, books, etc.) being resold.  Therefore it is something they simply don't factor in.

The argument can be made that your resale of HL2 might reach more players and thus cause more people the anticipate and buy HL3, but they would much rather have everybody buy it brand new so they get the profit.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2005, 06:15:28 AM »

Sarkus - if what you say is what the future is, that would put stores like EB and Gamestop out of business. I do agree with you that in the future we may see more "steam" types of games, but I mean WAY into the future - 10+ years from now. Probably by the time we are grandpas and are too old to use computers anymore. When our grandkids are buying PC games, it'll be online.

I'm not bullish on the future of EB or GameStop, that's for sure (and I work for one of them as a manager).  It's pretty common knowledge that Sony and Microsoft both are already talking seriously about delivering games via the internet, so I don't think it's as far off as you think.  The transition from floppies to CD's happened pretty quickly, for example, so this is a a business that moves very fast.

I honestly believe that within 5 years more PC games will be sold electronically than will be sold on a disk.

However taking into account that a HUGE number of computer users are still without internet or on 56k modems, having games like half-life 2 that are 4GB+ in size just isn't reasonable for the time we are in now.
Even on my DSL connection I woudn't want to waste all tha time downloading half-life 2. It shoudn't be your job paying full price for a game and then having to burn it to your own cd's.

The XBox's entire online service, XBox Live, requires a broadband connection.  Most of the games for the PS2 that have online content require broadband connecitons.  Do you think that two of the biggest players on the console side of gaming would make this move without really believing that broadband will be adopted very fast?  I don't.  Yes, that's console and we're talking PC, but console dwarfs PC at this point and I think we can assume that broadband adoption on the PC side is higher than on the console side.   As for the cost of CD's, well they're suprisingly cheap at this point.  Even a DVD only costs a buck or two.  The only issue I see is that in much of the world you pay for your internet on a minute by minute connection, not the unlimited access that is pretty universal in the US.

From a consumer standpoint, I think the ideal would be for there to be no more than four or five direct download providers.  But, I can forsee a chaotic transition to that point as every major publisher, developer, and opportunist jumps in hoping they'll become the Amazon of direct download standards.

- American Dad
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2005, 08:29:13 AM »

For people like me, relatively new to HL2:

I've been playing with Gary's mod.  It let's you pose the HL2 characters, among other things, so as to create unusual and/or funny screenshots and videos.

Ever since I've been playing Max Payne 2 I've had as much fun, if not more, taking screenshots & making vids as I've had playing a game.  I had hoped Doom 3 would be even better, on account of the awesome lighting and models, but it hasn't worked out that way.

Half Life 2, on the other hand, is AWESOME for this kind of thing.  There's a huge community already involved in this stuff, with all kinds of hilarious videos(40mb) to provide inspiration.  If you are like me and are into this kind of thing, HL2 is worth getting for this alone, even if you leave multiplayer out of it.

I'm just starting to actually tinker with this stuff, so I have nothing of my own worth posting yet, but I have some ideas already.  When I have something to post, I will.

I'm also tinkering with the editor, I intend to start mapping soon, something I haven't done since Q3A.

Half Life 2 is easily going to consume most, if not all, my gaming time from now on.  And if I ever intend to go back to the regular HL2 singleplayer portion and finish it, I guess I will have to give it ALL my gaming time, hehe.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2005, 03:03:45 PM »

Quote from: "Dinkytoy"

As near as I understand it, HL2 has no resale value at all.

Actually, HalfLife2 is completely re-sellable. You can transfer the game over to another user (privately, not commercially). I just don't think you can sell it at your local EB Games. <shrug>

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2005, 07:20:59 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"

Get on the bus or it will run you over  :twisted:

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: