http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 07:27:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of buying a PSP - what should I know?  (Read 864 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2005, 08:13:45 PM »

I think the critical mass of games I want to play has been reached with the PSP so I will be picking one up.  However it seems like a complicated system so I had some questions.

1. I would like to play Sam and Max (it is sitting in my basement on CD-ROM so I do own it).  Do I need to be careful which PSP I buy?  Meaning do new ones sold have updated firmware?  Which firmware should I make sure the machine has?

2. How big of a memory stick do I need?  It comes with a 32 meg one but I bet that is too small.

3. What is the best price?  I have seen them as low as $230 on Ebay for new ones but is that too risky?  

4. What else should I know?

Thanks

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 08:35:59 PM »

Have a DS yet?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 08:52:04 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Have a DS yet?

Of course!  I bought it when the price dropped.  Love that thing.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 09:03:04 PM »

Sam Hell is selling his in the trading forum.  You might check that out.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 09:20:16 PM »

From Homebrew and Emulation you need 1.50 firmware.  The 1.51 and 1.52 firmware you can get emulation but not homebrew (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  

Supposedly newer boxed copies are shipping with newer firmware though I haven't read any reports of any coming with 2.0 out of the box yet.  

Memory card- if you want to play Sam & Max probably need a 1 Gig stick to hold all of that voice.  I'm assuming that ScummVM is compatible with the "talkies" but the only ScummVM game I've played on the PSP is Beneath a Steel Sky floppy version (no voice).  

SNES emulation still seems a bit hit and miss to me.  I've just started getting into the emus this week but even with tweaking most of the games I want to play on it (Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, Dragon Warrior 6, etc) have lots of slowdown.  I'm still playing with the configs and emulators though so hopefully this will improve.  

Amazon is selling the PSP new for $230.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 09:46:59 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
From Homebrew and Emulation you need 1.50 firmware.  The 1.51 and 1.52 firmware you can get emulation but not homebrew (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  

Supposedly newer boxed copies are shipping with newer firmware though I haven't read any reports of any coming with 2.0 out of the box yet.

You'll need a 1.50 bios (all-but unavailable to purchase from any store nowadays) in order to run anything but the games you're supposed to run. Sony started shipping 1.51 and 1.52 bios a few months ago, so odds are you'll be finding one of them.

I did remember reading at one point you can look at the console's serial number (visable through the box opening) and determine if it's one of the golden 1.5 consoles, but I don't remember where I found it anymore.

However, all is not lost - there are reports of a group that's been able to dump a 1.5 bios into a 1.51 or 1.52 console (NOT the 2.0 version that you can freely download on Sony's site). Rumor has it though you'll need another 1.5 console in order to do it though (it'll transmit the bios via the wi-fi). BUT - as of right now, it hasn't come out yet. It's expected soon. I'll report more on that when it becomes available.

Keep in mind that some games might force you to upgrade to version 2.0 in the future. As of right now, no game requires a bios upgrade in order to play, but it's expected to do so in the future. So keep that in mind for down the road. Emulation and classic games, or PSP titles. I do expect the hacking community to find a way around that code in the future, so time will tell.

As far as games go - you'll need far more than the default 32MB stick. Get a 512 or 1gig, and you'll be fine. And Sam and Max (talky) is all of like 70MB or so, if I remember correctly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 09:53:47 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
And Sam and Max (talky) is all of like 70MB or so, if I remember correctly.

Really?  That's great!  I'll have a whole stash of Lucasarts CD adventures to put on once I get back to my CD stash in Virginia in a few weeks.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 10:11:05 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Have a DS yet?

Of course!  I bought it when the price dropped.  Love that thing.
Good.  If you didn't have a DS yet, I'd suggest that in place of the PSP.

It looks like you have answers to your other questions -- my only addtion would be to say that the 'value pack' isn't much of a value at all.  Buy the vanilla system and spend the extra $50 on a big memory chip.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 10:28:25 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
I did remember reading at one point you can look at the console's serial number (visable through the box opening) and determine if it's one of the golden 1.5 consoles, but I don't remember where I found it anymore.

Supposedly you are looking for an "A" on it for 1.50:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: